Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Jack's Flow posted:

So, how many games does OKC have to win for Russ to win MVP?

edit:

His numbers are just crazy. Triple doubles are supposed to be hard. "Jason Kidd had 14, 12, and 10? Unbelievable!"

Also, could you please grab that rebound, Russ? Thanks.

The scripture foretold this. He is Risen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's really good, but he also needs.to lose 20-25 pounds.

He actually is probably better off at his current weight than way lighter. It lets him move guys around at will and his game isn't predicated on him getting vertical.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Libertine posted:

Even if they assembled that team right now while shedding zero assets I don't see any way that team would make it further than a 2nd round exit.

I just don't see a route to Sacramento ever having a competitive team. I'm really not sure how you get out of the hole in the Western Conference unless you win the lottery multiple times like the Clippers and Sonics/Thunder did.

He definitely has his limitations. I'm happy that he's at least become a good heat check guy in the NBA. That's what I thought he would end up being, I really liked him in college.

Houston, Dallas

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Libertine posted:

The Dirk trade with Milwaukee will probably go down in NBA history as the single most one-sided draft steal in NBA history. Their entire team for almost two decades was built around that single move. Maybe the best draft day move ever made.

Houston did win the lottery with Yao and rode that for awhile and then has made some shrewd and excellent moves since then but they haven't won anything significant in over 20 years. They also have never been a truly abysmal team since the early 1980s. Even the bad Rockets rosters were not cellar dwellers.

I don't think you can compare either of their histories with the Kings at all.

You kind of moved the goalposts. you said get out of the basement. or better than a second round exit. Dallas won the lottery with dirk but was varying levels of bad at times. Good moves to bring in Tyson Chandler et al won them that title in 2011. Houston made it to the WCF with a team that was 100% mercenary signings.

If the bar is "win a title" we have evidence of drafting, trading, and free agency working well as strategies. You can build teams in multiple ways. The one consistent factor is shrewd (and lucky) management. You are right that the kings show no history of that.

edit: bad is the wrong word to describe the Mavs. Maybe not real contenders would be a better way to phrase it.

Time fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 29, 2016

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Western teams have, for a while now, better front offices and owners in place. This will probably change in the future.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Dick touchers and meat checkers

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

EvanTH posted:

Also we call him a dick toucher because Jim Harden's go-to move is a pawing push off into the dick area of the opponent

Combine this with the KD rip-through and you have a Mortal Kombat finisher

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

hahahaha

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

chunkles posted:

Doc Rivers got ejected tonight. He is 55 years old.

have you even SEEN Nick saban? old men get the orneriest

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

euphronius posted:

Traded the roy and starting pg for a pick which may convey in 3 years.

Anything for MCW was good value. I know you know this, I'm just not about to miss an opportunity to say how much I dislike watching him play ball

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

euphronius posted:

It was "crazy" thing for an NBA gm to do. Trade your young talent for a pick in the future ??? You are supposed to be building that talent.

I think it was probably crazy to the viewing public more than other NBA people. A lot of people were dumping on him as one of the worst ROY guys ever. I can't find the article anymore but I remember an exec saying his arc would be like tyreke evans but even less impressive

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Crazy Ted posted:

Michael Carter-Williams, Tyreke Evans, and Ricky Rubio are living proof that it doesn't matter what other aspects of the game you're good at if you can't shoot the ball at even a slightly-below-average rate from any spot on the floor.

please don't lump pretty ricky into the same group as those two crimes against basketball committing jerks

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Does Buford make most of the roster decisions or does Pop do a lot of the GM work?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

euphronius posted:

They weren't historically bad when he got there.

The ownership knew they had to get a lot worse to get better. They were in the treadmill stage. So they found Hinkie and said they want to blow it up. He said he could do that for them. They let him have 2.5 years doing that. Then the league and silver got to the ownership and put a stop to it because it would be bad for the league if more teams tanked.

Now we are stuck with Bryan colangelo who appears to be an idiot. Hopefully Simmons and embiid are good enough to power the team even with a dumb gm.

Did the league really force them to stop? I remember people here speculating about it but I would love to read more about it

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Metapod posted:

Westbrook has a bad shooting day so naturally with the game on the line https://twitter.com/SneakerReporter/status/804165024298237952

I got goosebumps from this

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Vertical Lime posted:

Lebron won Sportsman of the Year

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/804331997711765504

I guess Cleveland jinx > Cubs jinx

its the inherent nature of basketball being the most entertaining pro-league

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Spacebump posted:

https://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/804303080619732992
I hope crying Jordan never dies. I wonder how many people have seen crying Jordan but never watched a full Jordan Bulls game.

seriously, the NBA and it's associated orbit is the funniest poo poo

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Rick posted:

The Rockets title runs are what people really are missing and are must viewing for anyone who thinks people exaggerated Hakeem because naw it's true as gently caress.

The team around Hakeem for the first run is the definition of mediocre. It's funny though because it is 100% the proto-version of the Dwight Magic teams with four shooters and Dwight grabbing infinity rebounds. Mario Ellie, Vernon Maxwell, and young Bob Horry were not a core that should have won a ring that year...but Hakeem

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Libertine posted:

It looks like the Warriors got bombed on by peak performance Anderson and Gordon. It was like slipping into a time machine and imagining how good the Pelicans could have been.

Josh smith and Corey brewer redux

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Intruder posted:

Javale apologizes to no one

Also I can think of no more successful sports scam than kt tape

Wrong.

He sure as poo poo apologizes to Mamma McGee

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Up Circle posted:

i wrote this

You're the laker girl rick dunked on

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I might be mixing rick stories up because he also dunked on a deaf kid

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Celtics fans, what can the Raptors expect from Sully once he's back?

A guy who lumbers up and down the court for 16 min a night

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

this kid is unreal

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Kibner posted:

That was the trade the Lakers used to acquire Pau.

Which, at the time, looked loving awful. Marc Gasol really blew his expectations out of the water

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lockback posted:

In a little fairness the Grizzlies and others were starting to get higher on Marc Gasol despite him being a 2nd round pick who hadn't been in the NBA yet. A lot of teams valued him more than a typical 2nd round pick.

Oh, for sure. But even the loftiest interpretation of him at that point didn't make up for making the Lakers title favorites with Pau. I'm really happy it didn't turn out to be the fleecing I thought it would be. The Grizz and Nick deserve better than that

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Twenty two years late but what the gently caress Fleer

is this too gauche as an av?

i realize the irony considering my current one

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

https://twitter.com/jlew1050/status/807066671508783105

I just noticed, how the gently caress are the Grizz 16-8?

Lol

Double lol

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MourningView posted:

I will not stand for any slander of Every Grandma's Favorite Basketball Player, BJ Armstrong, on my forum

I like BJ Armstrong because we are both really bad at our jobs but have failed upwards

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

chunkles posted:

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/807633120866418688

They're really exceeding my expectations so far.

Dekker/Capella/Harrell have all been so fun to watch. I can't believe how much more watchable the team is with Pringles and without Dwight. I mean, it makes sense now but I was honestly expecting them to be more of a shitshow.

They are going to get bounced from the playoffs early in an insanely entertaining series and I'm very okay with that

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I like watching GS play basketball. I don't like when they beat my team or players on other teams that I like. Other than that, they are fun to watch. I know this is haram and I am sorry

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

NickRoweFillea posted:

Klay Thompson is the PBS logo

Javale is Arthur

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Halfling Wizard Bear posted:

Not sure if this has been posted before but this site is a searchable highlight database. It logs misses, fouls and TOs too so if you're bored you can plug in your least favorite player for a lil' shaudenfreude

https://3ball.io/

This is the sickest thing ever

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Tae posted:

So....what's with the Magic all of a sudden? They've been averaging like 120 points the last couple of weeks, which is not what I expect from that roster, much less a Vogel coached offense.

a Tae sample size post

edit: I actually looked and said the same thing, I just wanted to poke you in the ribs

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

the all-dumb team would be the McGee-Arenas Wizards from like 5 years ago

It spawned so many funny john wall exasperated moments though

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think D'antoni needs to start getting jimmy harden more rest. Granted, the team looks like absolute poo poo without him facilitating, but they still need to find a way to get him another minute or so on the bench a game I think.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

WhyteRyce posted:

I wish archives/search weren't busted or I'd find that youtube clip of John Wall just GTFOing to the lockerroom as Nick Young threw up a brick before half-time.

My favorite was hands-on-hips, head shaking at Javale

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Jack's Flow posted:

That first .gif is still the best thing in the world. Look how hard he's running the floor.

Like, his heart is in the right place. He is going hard to get back on D. He's just a dummy 🦁

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
If boogie ends up on the C's and makes any of that article seem prescient...well I can't wait for the follow up column

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Henchman of Santa posted:

Not very often. Not many teams are as close as Chicago and Milwaukee though.

I think they actually increased these recently. I can think of a few teams off the top of my head that have done it already this year

edit: Houston has done it twice this year with, Dallas and San Antonio

• Locked thread