Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Man, can you even imagine how bad Jordan gets it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
"LeBron had spent 13 years cruising through his career without a signature series or moment" - Bill Simmons, NBA super fan

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

EvanTH posted:

https://theringer.com/lebron-is-still-painting-his-masterpiece-bdad85037eb0

I could sorta agree that The Block is kind of his first really truly Iconic single moment. Something that'll get replayed for decades. Ray Allen's shot was the biggest moment from his previous finals wins
He also added the series part, and there were 3 finals before this where he was by far the best player on the court. I cannot endorse these comments. What Bill Simmons did is a criminal act on the American people.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/790568826802929664

the Pistons' confrontationally bland #DetroitBasketball almost loops around into being good
#OwnTheFuture sounds like they're punting on the next few years.

Good!

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Metapod posted:

They are never coming back
Why not?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

a new study bible! posted:

Yeah Philly isn't and won't be good for years still. It's also a pretty damning statement on the game that the only way to contend for a title is to at least win a superstar in the lottery.

NBA is still cool though.

Hinkie doesn't own.
There's certainly that aspect but the Spurs and the Warriors weren't.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

Duncan and Curry were both drafted by those teams.

The Warriors and Spurs also drafted Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, Manu Ginobli, Tony Parker, and Kawhi Leonard
Duncan is retired and the Spurs are still some level of contender, and while he was still good last year, he wasn't the reason they won 67 games. Curry was the 7th pick. The Warriors didn't win a lottery, which to me is what the guy was talking about. None of the other guys mentioned required that high of a draft pick to get.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Save Anthony Davis

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Wait how are we defining "modern"?

Cause Kareem, Jordan, Lebron, Magic, BIrd, Shaq and a whole lot of others I'm forgetting have a lot of all-time great seasons to compare against.
Curry's was definitely better than any Magic or Bird have had.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Bird had a few seasons that were comparable and played much better defense than either one.
1. Which season was this?
2. I feel like you're either really overrating Bird's defense here.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He made three NBA All Defensive teams guys.
This seems like an aggressively poor measure to go by.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

I feel like "top 5" or "top 10" center in the NBA is a label that is tossed around without anyone attempting to count. Kind of like how people throw out "one of the best passing big men" label without attempting to compare to anyone else.
I feel like it's based on that period where there were only a few centres worth anything and people thought really highly of Rasho Nesterovic.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Demar DeRozan Superstar

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
They're sabotaging Porzingis.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

chunkles posted:

Harden 30/16. Mike D'Antoni is a brilliant man
His statline to start the season is absurd.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
12 for 64 Jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

EvanTH posted:

I warned y'all about all of this. Election results to Davis' resurgence to the problems with the new GSW squad. It's time you stopped reading the mainstream news and start listening only to my posts.
Warriors' defense showing more cracks than Hllary's firewall

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't remember Bush having problems getting NBA teams there, even after Katrina. Granted I expect worse with Trump.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wasn't Antoine Walker actually pretty good?
Absolutely not.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Not sure why it's a surprise that a calculation that looks at stats would be down on Wiggins. He's had 2 somewhat disappointing seasons by the numbers.
The James Posey article was done in December of his rookie season, and he immediately played much better. Some of those early "most similar" comparisons for him would spit out the Beasley, Morrison and guys like that, but also throw in Durant or any of the high school guys to make the whole thing come off as completely worthless.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

If Dwight Howard does not win a ring (which he won't) I think he is going to be the most interesting HoF debate out of the current batch of likely HoF players.

e: That's not totally true, he could totally win a ring in the twilight of his career as a traveling assassin.
He is a 100% lock.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lockback posted:

Who was the last good US born player who skipped the college track? I'm legit happy they are giving d league players decent salaries, but I'm not sure if this affects the pro game much.
Do you mean after the high school guys? If so, how many meaningful US prospects have even tried that route? There wasn't any incentive for it before, whereas now you're coming out ahead money wise.

And anyways, I would imagine the D-League boost is more for young players who aren't going to get quality NBA minutes and retaining the borderline NBA guys than as an option for high schoolers.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Props Department posted:

was really only a short hop away from the Tr*mp Access Hollywood tape.
:rolleyes:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

As a fan of a perennial loser, I don't understand the "whelp we've maxed out as a fourth seed time to blow it up" mentality.
I think people are too quick to say it but there are definite cases where a team's ceiling is well short of contender and the sequence of mild promise in the regular season followed by getting rolled in the playoffs isn't the most satisfying, even if it beats out being awful all along.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
LeBron blatantly sucks up to Rothschilds, 2020 run possible???

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I feel like the way they talk about 2 way contracts mean that they're going to gently caress over rookies rather than help development league guys.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

I don't blame him

That's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

BWV posted:

Lebron and Russ are going to average triple doubles and some gently caress is going to give Jimmy Butler a first place MVP vote.
Butler's having a crazy good season, and even still I doubt that he would get more than token consideration if competition is as strong as it has been.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I like macarons, macaroons, macaroni and Toronto Raptors basketball.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

I think given the narrative and his stats, Russ could get serious consideration if they are a 3rd, 4th, or even 5th seed. If they are lower than that I seriously doubt it.
Well one issue is that they're not hurting for MVP candidates right now, this isn't a year where Steve Nash wins it because Garnett and Kobe miss the playoffs, Duncan's numbers are down and LeBron isn't a good option yet. If the Warriors (or Cavs, or Spurs, or Clippers) put up crazy win totals and you have Durant shooting 57% from the field, it's hard to think they won't give him a better shot than Westbrook if the wins aren't quite there for OKC. There have been guys who had eye popping numbers before but didn't win or even necessarily been a factor in MVP voting. And from the opposite end, if they finish behind the Rockets with Harden putting up his own variant of speculative fiction stats is that really advantage Westbrook?

Lmao if Durant, Westbrook and Harden end us as the top 3 MVP candidates.

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 29, 2016

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Views: Joe Lacob is a weiner
Impossible; Dray hasn't punched him

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

it is still funny that dwight sabotaged an entire team's offense because shaq made fun of him on television
Dwight feeling compelled to be a traditional post player is one of the great shames of recent basketball history.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Tae posted:

Imagine DeAndre Jordan being as much of a baby as dwight and wants post touches and bank shots
Wasn't that basically the Mavs pitch to him?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kibner posted:

Got a back injury and couldn't stay healthy or consistently keep up physically anymore.
Additionally, he spent 3 years in college and came out in 2004. He's 34 now, and even great centres don't often last that long.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Does Greg Monroe just outright suck?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Anthony Davis wears the undershirt a lot.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Who the gently caress is a top 10 player in the bulls
Butler

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Aaron Hernandez was in a gang and killed people on behalf of the gang, after getting a 5 year $40 million contract extension.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zogo posted:

BBR has Harden at ~50% chance of winning MVP this year. They must not be aware of the 1 or 2 seed rule of the last thirty years.
Rockets are currently only 1.5 games behind the Spurs and with a better SRS, so not impossible they haven't factored that in.

I also think the top 1-2 seed model topples a bit if the Rockets actually win 60+ games, even if they are still behind GS and SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lockback posted:

I'm not sure I can stomach another Simmons article after reading about half of his boogie fan fiction, but are we just ignoring the fact that Durant is a better version of Bird already? Or, even if you don't like that comparison and need a white guy, Gordon Hayward is basically the same guy just a little worse across the board?

gently caress it, slow work day, I'm going to go try to read it and report back.

Lockback posted:

Oh my god he called KAT the evolutionary Rasheed Wallace, I don't even know anymore.
He's just being an idiot.

His McHale/Davis thing is going entirely off McHale's career season vs. the current one of a 23 year old who had a better one 2 years ago. McHale didn't hit 20 a game in many of his prime seasons, now he's going for 30 a game? It doesn't work at all as a stylistic comparison either, McHale was a pretty classic post player vs. Davis who's shooting from everywhere.

• Locked thread