Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
The list of teams with cap space to offer Millsap even a near-max 4 year deal and the motivation do so is fairly short. I would feel pretty good about him staying for less than a 5-year max if I was a playoff team. Quasi-playoff teams with limited space and assets need to keep their all star happy and don't have many paths to good players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

:frogsiren: cam payne has been recalled from the blue :snoop: :snoop: :snoop:

whole league gonna feel

the sweetest payne

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I'm here to start a Rose to Sacramento trade rumor.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
That ESPN piece by Chris Haynes about Portland's summer is interesting. At one point, Olshey says things could've gone worse if they'd maxed out Parsons instead of paying Turner a bunch. Is he right about that? I think he might be right about that. Not even in the Portland-specific sense. I think Turner's contract will be more tradeable than Parsons in two years.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

And sabonis

Sabonis looks lost and needs a few weeks in the D-League. OKC needs to start Grant at the 4 and end this charade.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

Iggy having more votes than Kemba is a goddamn crime against basketball

I can't tell if you are serious or not but I would not be 100% against grant starting for dunks alone

Sabonis has had a few nice games (as recently as the 1st quarter of the Denver game) taking his open 3s and punishing smaller players in the post, but other teams aren't defending him much and he's still too timid to make them pay. You can see the wheels turning in his head when he catches at the top of the key. His defense and fouling have improved, but he's still clearly the worst starter. Adams would benefit from having another rim protector who can rotate and switch alongside him, and Grant fits the bill. I don't think starting Grant will damage the Thunder's spacing too much--teams are already letting Sabonis shoot wide open 3s at will. They've been closing games lately with Grant at the 4 anyways, might as well make that change to the starting unit as well.

The Thunder, like many teams, badly need a combo forward who can shoot and hang on defense. Kanter and Joffrey play a bunch of 4 for questionable reasons. Roberson's a little too lanky, and it's a waste to have him guard stretch 4s. Grant's the natural fit right now.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

That makes a lot of sense grant would make the defense better and would make the transition offense even more powerful without taking much away from the half court sets. The bench defense would get worse with that though but it's already bad so would it even matter?

Donovan's been monkeying with that second unit all season, now playing Roberson with them instead of Oladipo. They can find a way with early subs for Robes, Oladipo, Grant, or Adams to keep that bench unit's defense from being putrid. I don't know if it's an organizational thing or Donovan's idea, but playing Grant at the 3 with Kanter and Joffrey is an odd choice that needs to be remedied.

Rick posted:

Sabonis is playing well enough that he should at least be playing for the Thunder. You really only D-league guys who are getting embarrassed out there, or if you're a team that's contending and still are trying to develop a rookie (and even this hasn't proven effective).

True, my point is that Sabonis needs a few weeks to adjust to the speed of the game in a lower pressure role than "starting forward". Donovan seems to know this because Sabonis is basically playing spot minutes in a many games, but still starting. Seems like an organizational mandate to play him as the starter.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Buddy doesn't have much horsepower under the hood.

He's an older model, better suited to cruising the country backroads on Sunday afternoon than showboating on the desert highways outside of Dubai.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
cool Serbian olympics guy Miloš Teodosić said he's coming to the NBA. wish he would come to my team.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Knicks gonna turn the Zinger into a bitter, petulant soul

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Sam Dekker is wrong to humor the lad.

Patrick Beverley's pensive non-response is the good one.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Curry and Derozan beating out Westbrook and Lowry for starting positions in the all star game is...

..it's why trump won.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

EMC posted:

DeRozan is listed in frontcourt, so it is really Butler & Irving beating him out. I think it should have been Butler & Lowry in the East backcourt

Looks like it's Kyrie then. gently caress you Kyrie Irving.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/822243904770768896

we've reached full on constitutional crisis status

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

straight up brolic posted:

Not authorized to see this tweet, screen cap it?

Looks like he deleted it. he complained that 4 media members failed to vote for LeBron while 3 others voted for Ben Simmons. Was wrong about LeBron though. In any case, all the players hate Draymond, but our institutions rest on shaky foundations.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Declan MacManus posted:

How long did it take the Thunder to not suck asking for a friend and definitely not me, the Minnesota Timberwolves

OKC sucked until Durant's third year. I feel like it's not time to panic unless they grossly misuse their cap space or we get to KAT's extension summer and still suck.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

predicto posted:

Having an above average center is a lot less important than it used to be. Literally none of the top teams in the NBA right now have a traditional center of note. The Clips, Memphis and Jazz all do - but they are 4, 5 and 6 in the West.

What about last year when the Spurs (2nd seed in the West), Thunder (3rd), Clippers (4th) all used an above average center? Were Bogut and Thompson really not of any "note"? What about Biyombo's role in Toronto's success? Horford's role on the Celtics this year?

This contention...it's not my kind of contention...

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Spacebump posted:

Why would the Sixers want Mo Williams to reach the salary floor? If they don't reach it doesn't the rest of the money go to the players on the roster? Why would they want to give Mo Williams money instead of their players getting extra for the year?

Pelton's explanation:

https://twitter.com/kpelton/status/822569816041132039

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Stan Van has HAD IT UP TO HERE

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
https://twitter.com/detnewsRodBeard/status/822856379148824576

SVG ensuring plausible deniability. A month from now he'll be saying, "I never said Reggie wouldn't be traded for Ricky Rubio AND Shabazz Muhammad".

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Panzeh posted:

Honestly the way Adams takes cheap shots at people he's bound to get kicked in the nuts once in a while.

Period.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
We came THIS close to Dion Waiters matching up in the finals with the team that traded him.

e:

print the t-shirts

https://twitter.com/hdtshirts/status/823752146428563456

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 24, 2017

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
There is nothing better in the world than foreign-born players talking insane poo poo to their home country media.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Nate Robinson: career 36% shooter from 3 on 3.6 attempts/game, better than all non-Doug Bulls

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Libertine posted:

Trade deadline is in roughly one month. Has there been a single trade made this season? Usually you see one or two late fall or early winter shuffles or shake ups. Literally nothing so far that I can recall.

Philly and OKC swapped Ersan Ilyasova and a top 20 protected 2020 first for Jerami Grant like 3 games into the season. Seems like there's a few teams who could be really active (Denver Sacramento) that need to wait and see where they stand in terms of the 8 seed before they figure out if they're buyers or sellers. Other teams who seem likely to make a move or two purely based on their roster and standing IMO: Detroit, Phoenix, Portland, Orlando, apparently Cleveland.

also, to clarify the details of the simultaneous Jazz-OKC-Detroit trade: Kanter was traded to OKC for OKC's 2018 lotto protected 1st, Kendrick Perkins' expiring, and the rights to Tibor Pleiss. OKC sent Reggie Jackson to Detroit for Singler and Augustin. And the Pistons and Jazz swapped some future second rounders to make the trade salary cap legal because the deal had to be simultaneous given the salaries being swapped and all teams involved in a deal have to "touch".

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 26, 2017

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

The Glumslinger posted:

Sounds like an Amare

it's a Blake if you break it on your buddy's face, but it's an Amare if you take it out on an inanimate object.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/825040425962573825

not.great.bob

Mr. Mambold posted:

Can't they put a cast on it so he can maybe get back on court in a few weeks and do ~some other stupid thing~?

the reign of king joffrey has begun

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 27, 2017

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I feel like Westbrook would probably murder 'Melo within a week.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Mr. Mambold posted:

No, I think it's Kanter for Jimmy who says no?

Jim Bucket needs some tutelage from an alpha, and Wade's got it all wrong. He needs some learnin from Russ.

and while it was more thrilling to see Curry pull up from 3 near half court a few years ago, that effect has faded. The only other exciting move he has is finishing high off the glass over a defender. Harden has a wide array of moves that make him a funner watch despite his sexually aggressive somnolence.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
TJ McConnell not gettable because the Sixers are making a playoff run WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

With modern training techniques and improved medical care teams are more willing to take a flyer on middle aged men pretending to be teenagers.

Thon Maker would've probably been a 2nd round pick 10 years ago, and Tanguy Ngombo would go in late lottery if he was drafted today.

Tanguy Ngombo is a myth used by cruel AAU coaches to motivate the youth. Nobody wants to turn out like Tanguy Ngombo, a wistful, imaginary man who never made it to the big leagues.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Whoa that Plumlee is already 28. Charlotte taking on that dude's age 31 season @ 12.5 mil just to get out from under Hawes?

also, we got a Zeller and a Plumlee on the same team, just need a Hansbrough to complete the set.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
drat, Boogie had those birds loaded and ready to go. He'd make a great gunfighter in the wild west.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
what the hell does New Orleans want with Okafar? Not a shot at Okafor, I just don't see the fit. I mean, I guess they do desperately need offense.

e: also Keith Smith is the new Shams Charania

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 6, 2017

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

MourningView posted:

I also think Davis really hates playing center.

I guess this is it. Apparently they've also engaged with Brooklyn on Lopez.

Kibner posted:

Haven't checked the twitter people, yet, but they may not like how it gets them going away from their small ball philosophy which has given them a top defense without making the offense any worse than it already was.

Won't Okafor gum up the paint for Davis? Seems like they need a little more shooting to roll with both bigs.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Lance is still only 26. He's a sneaky candidate to have played for 1/3 of the league before he retires.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Carmelo frantically organizing the friend date of a lifetime for LeBron right now

#stillsingletho

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Where are we with cloning human body parts?

Can we clone LeBron's ACL onto a mouse or something

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
coming up shortly on the world's best sports forum we've got a discussion of whether US-based private security companies training Croatian forces violated the UN arms embargo, and then an analysis of why James Dolan has ruined the Knicks and Kristaps Porzingis should play center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Plumlee and Jokic on defense might give Malone a heart attack but hey whatever let's get weird.

• Locked thread