Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

fast cars loose anus posted:

Hi so maybe someone can help me with this

I remember some time ago someone made a slideshow about the NBA and I swear every player who was guarding the player in question was Mike Conley but it might not have been him. I'm pretty sure it was a Grizzlies player though. In any case one of the slides was a photoshop of the player guarding himself.

Anyone remember or have a link to that?

Thanks.

It was the Ball Don't Lie player rankings in 2010, and O.J. Mayo was the player in question (although a Google makes it look like Mayo was only in the SG rankings, and he used a different defender for each position)

Unfortunately, it looks like all the images are gone now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Declan MacManus posted:

Also how on earth do you let Paul loving Zipser tear you up

"Alright, this guy looks like he's got the normal amount of bones...I know just how to handle him" - anonymous Celtics player

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/854526390372356096

Rondo is extremely good when he's using his powers of hate to spite his old team instead of using them to be very homophobic

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I can't believe I'm mad about Rajon Rondo being hurt because it's actually going to make the Bulls worse.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Dejan Bimble posted:

Why the gently caress did Hoiberg play Michael Carter Williams so many minutes last night. I'd rather them just put any other random player on the court. He's such a loving hot dog armed waste of space

MCW sucks, but Grant was also playing pretty terribly. They should either take the ball out of Grant's hands more when he's in the game and use him more as an off-ball shooter, or just start Zipser and try to go as long as you can with no PG

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Blake out for the rest of the playoffs. Wow

This is God telling the Clippers to just disband already, right? At minimum it's a sign to change the jerseys back

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Fred has keyed in on the Bulls' main problem

https://twitter.com/kcjhoop/status/856319123168645120

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

dokmo posted:

Waiters was terrible coming into this season and I'm not sure he improved at all aside from having his shots go in.

Counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/dionwaiters3/status/517158752345415682

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

One of the best parts of rewatching this is seeing Gordon Hayward's "ah jeez really?" reactions to a dozen different fouls committed on him that the refs were never going to call in 10000 years

This is my favorite Hot Hand Truther video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyd4NPvzKQg

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
e: wrong thread!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm going to take the Warriors comments at a shot against the Clippers

Like "drat we could have partied and knocked them out in five without breaking a sweat"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Spacebump posted:

Come on Bulls, pull the trigger on a Butler/Matthews + pick swap deal.

The cool thing is, Paxson is aware that Jimmy is valuable and doesn't seem to want to give him up unless he gets blown away by an offer

So we're stuck with a star that the front office doesn't want to build around, but won't commit to moving unless it's fair value!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
How can you look, I dunno, any successful athletic company ever and think that three big rear end block Bs are a good logo

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Michael Jordan is the GOAT because he was on my favorite team when I was a child; weird that you guys would waste so much time arguing that indisputable fact

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's a dirty and reckless play; that doesn't inherently make it intentional

I think it's hard to ascribe motive to an oafish 7 footer's bad footwork defending on the perimeter

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Throughout the playoffs I've been absolutely certain that the Cavs defense will eventually come back to haunt them, but I no longer think that due to my onset irrational hatred of the Celtics, stoked by their flagrantly illegal carrying techniques and the frightening basketball prowess of a gangly goat man. As a result, simple logic dictates that Boston will hit 75% of their threes en route to a 5-game win over Cleveland

It Just Makes Sense

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Cool Buff Man posted:

If he does a non-Fultz pick I think it would be Jackson. But I really don't think he'll pass on Fultz, especially because I don't think he likes the idea of maxing out Isaiah that much after next year

Does he have a choice?

I guess if the Celtics get worked by Lebron it'd be an easier sell to a fanbase, but I can't imagine letting Isaiah go would go over well

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
As someone who defended Zaza's play as plausibly unintentional, I am pretty amazed that some dude could spend the time editing and uploading that video and think "this will show them! This is conclusive proof Zaza didn't do anything wrong!"

Zaza comes up way further on a dude that was fading away; Aldridge scoots forward a little bit on a guy who is landing in front of where he lifted up. Also Zaza has a history etc

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The Biggest Jerk posted:

https://streamable.com/k0swu

It happens again up there against Livingston, practically the same as the Zaza/Kawhi incident. If they start calling fouls on all of these there's almost no way to stop fadeaways or lots of 3-pointers. Shooters know they'll get all the space they want. Plus you'll get the inevitable abuse ala Harden. All in all, a hard issue to regulate. Be too lenient, you get injuries. Be too harsh and shooters will have a field day and further diminish the impact of non-shooting bigs.

If they emphasized giving shooters room to land but stopped letting offensive players hook defenders on the perimeter, I wonder which would have the bigger effect

We just need to accelerate the development of insanely graceful 7 footers that can switch seamlessly and have no need to panic while closing out

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Femur posted:

Get ready​ to pay Westbrook 50m a year

Only kind of related, but do people think we'll see more stratification in veteran star contracts at any point during this CBA as opposed to instantly handing out max deals to anyone who is All Star caliber? As people get more accustomed to the new salary cap landscape, I can't imagine high-end max contracts for dudes like Kyle Lowry being conducive to long-term team-building, and those contracts are gonna be absolute bombs if a guy falls off.

Although I guess the price for average starters/rotation pieces would probably come down first if people are going to change their spending habits, right? I am not good with money please help

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Bulls have broken my brain. I think it's a terrible idea to trade a player as good as Jimmy Butler, because teams can spend a decade searching for someone of that caliber. He put in arguably a top-10 season this year.

And yet, I think they should trade him because the team is so devoid of worthwhile talent that it's implausible that thy could build a contender around him. Look at this assemblage of young """""talent"""""

Nikola Mirotic
Bobby Portis
Denzel Valentine
Cameron Payne
Jerian Grant
Paul Zipser
Cristiano Felicio

Basically all of those guys would be "He's got a shot at cracking the rotation!" players on good teams. It's a straight-up tire fire roster. And they're probably going to bring Mirotic back because he had one good month! They're probably going to bring Rondo back because he had two good games in the playoffs, which will only make it harder to invest minutes to develop Payne/Grant/Valentine as ballhandlers. It's a bad bad team and Jimmy deserves better

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I think you're underrating Fultz.

It's interesting, because right now having a ballhandling guard who's a great shooter and good distributor as your centerpiece is a straightforward blueprint for building a successful team

But I wonder if, as the Porzingis/Towns/Jokic/Embiid (god willing) crop of players matures, the Unicorn (Official Name Trademarked And Popularized By The Ringer Dot Com Everyone Calls Them This Everyone) becomes the standard franchise centerpiece and people laugh at the terrible standard of basketball in the mid 2010s when you could win without a 7 footer scoring 28 ppg and shooting 40% from three.

If Anthony Davis had more team success at this point in his career you'd probably call the Fultz/Porzingis swap a no-brainer, but the shooty guard who can pass is still the cool thing to have so I dunno

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Celtics can definitely play with an underdog chip on their shoulders in this series, but it does lose its narrative value after you've heard stuff like this

https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/864586007395565568

Nobody expected Marcus Smart to go 7/10 from three. Except me. The Boston boys are going all the way, like I've always believed

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Ah, there you have it, we were better all along. Kevin who? Well gotta go see ya

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Chris Bosh is definitely coming to the Bulls, the medical staff will clear him for a game he shouldn't be playing in, he collapses on the court, Rondo nudges aside his lifeless body on his way to yell at Hoiberg

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
How many people actually think the Finals are going to be competitive, and how many of us are just trying to fight off the sinking feeling that the Warriors will cruise to a title

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Look, was I overweight? Yeah. Did I show up late to practice? Of course. But not knowing the plays? I knew the plays. If ever there was a moment that it seemed like I might not know the play, I was probably distracted by the impeccably tailored pants Austin Rivers was wearing, hugging every contour in his lower body in just the right way. Don't say I don't know the play when you know I was just staring at the painted on pants you were wearing.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The only way to prevent another Golden State is to amplify the voices of our dumbest hot take artists

"Kevin Durant's legacy is worse having won 12 championships with the Warriors than it would be if he never made the finals in Oklahoma City" - this must become NBA canon

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Rabid Snake posted:

imagine losing to a 3-16 klay thompson LOL

OK...I'm imagining the two players who won MVP the past three seasons making up for the fourth best player on the team playing poorly

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Rabid Snake posted:

so they did what they are supposed to do?

Yeah. The Warriors are a better team than the Cavs, because they have better players!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

BWV posted:

I'm torn.

I think against any other team outside the Raps and the Cavs I'd love to watch the Warriors dominate. I usually prefer to watch excellence own over competition for competition's sake. And undoubtedly, there is something so amazing about watching a team break the sport over its knee, both with their talent and strategy. You don't really see that stuff happen often in your life time and I really think its a type of team people will be like "WTF how did that happen" 20 years from now.

Then again, I'm a Lebron stan and I want him to succeed at all costs. I loving hate that the best player I've ever seen is going to lose again in the finals, and I hate that such a magical finals like last years (the best finals I can remember) is less likely to repeat itself because the second best player in the NBA happens to be colossally bitchmade. I hate that their best conference opponent from the year before ditched his team t, and their best conference opponent from this year got injured in game 1.

Makes me think everything feels worse because last year was so loving good Warriors still on pace to blow a 3-1 lead

I had a big soft spot for the Warriors before this year. Curry has always been an extraordinarily fun player to watch and it was great to see him overcome the injury history to ascend to another level; they play a good brand of basketball that delivers a big ol gently caress you to the worst parts of the Old NBA; they were a testament to good team building and the idea that you didn't have to tank your way into becoming a championship squad.

Once they hit the 73-win mark, it was kind of hard to resist the urge to root for someone to knock them off, but that was more of a desire to see affirmation that nobody is invulnerable (and there was the Light Years Ahead/Valley tech bro stuff that helped tun them into heels). But the basketball itself was always extremely good, and the knowledge that a team playing by the same rules as everyone else was able to piece together this beautiful high-functioning machine was awe-inspiring even if you rooted for it to come apart.

The Durant signing just completely tips the balance in terms of making things marginally suspenseful. Now, there's no real mystery of "can they pull it off?" — when the inevitable happens and they win a series, well, of course they did. They took the best team of all time and added the second best player in the league. The basketball is still very good, but the upgrade in the product on the court doesn't come close to making up for all the narrative downgrades

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Away all Goats posted:

But Curry was a 7th pick and Klay was 11th? Anyways the Spurs prove your point better than the Warriors do.

That's more a team being normally bad instead of the extreme bottoming out people tend to advocate for now IMO

The NBA is more fun when you can convince yourself a guy who isn't universally hailed as a generational talent might still be the guy who carries your team to a title. Having the best team in the league anchored by the 7th, 11th and 35th pick makes that easier

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Dutchy posted:

What do you want the NBA to do? Abolish free agency?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uC1SFmyAPo

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Wasn't the reporting at the time of the trade that Harden was holding out for a 4 year, $56 million contract and the Thunder wanted to pay him 4 years, $52 million? It takes zero hindsight to say the Thunder could have cleared $1 million a year in salary elsewhere. Even if they hit the luxury tax and needed to dodge the repeater penalty down the line, any piece of their core four could have garnered a good return while clearing salary, and also they had the option to amnesty Kendrick Perkins and didn't

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/Jimmy_Durkin/status/873229890463698945

Steve Kerr remains the One Good Warrior

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm very glad the barbershop video ends with LeBron cackling at the athletic inferiority of whites

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I'm sorry, but a more thorough analysis of Wife Instagram leads to conclusive proof Hayward is going to Miami

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I would say Rudy Gay is 100% the type of player the Bulls would be into, but they seem hellbent on just bringing back the exact same team as last year so they won't have any room for him. Oh well

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
gently caress the Warriors make way for the real dynasty

Bulls Summer League Championship defense starts now bitch. Denzel Valentine is coming to silence the haters*

*(if healthy)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

quote:

"I came here to have fun," Durant told ESPN.com before Game 4. "I wanted to be one of the guys. Right away, they didn't treat me like I was 'KD,' or act like they wanted me to be a kind of vocal leader. I was happy from Day 1."

Immeasurably soft

(the Zach Lowe article this is from is good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This series didn't change who Kevin Durant is as a basketball player. He's the second best player on the planet, with a real shot of becoming the best in the next year or two. That's true with or without a ring

• Locked thread