Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Portland shot 68% from 3 tonight and were still trailing in the 4th quarter. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
You don't need to watch condensed Jazz/Blazers, I've condensed it for you:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

Is league pass really free for the week?

It's always free the first week of the season

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

Willie Cauley-Stein is the most underrated young big in the NBA. Very Tyson Chandler-y, which was his draft comp.

It's because that's a wing's name, not center-y at all.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

Still think it's bullshit Hinkie got shitcanned right before his plan was going to start to pay off.

It was and his strategy was perfectly legitimate. Philly has a much better chance of being a top-4 seed in the next few years than bad teams who chased mediocre trade and free agency targets and are still just bad, like Sacramento or Phoenix.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

It's still really brutal to see a team flatline for four years, it's cool that his minmax twink one weird trick worked out for the Sixers but it's hard on the fans, especially when you have setbacks

I don't think Kings fans have been stupid enough to be excited about that team in the last four years either. Fans know when their team is trash, whether they waste a bunch of resources on expensive non impact players or not.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
This is news to no one, but Evan Turner is loving trash.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jack's Flow posted:

God, Anthony Davis is unbelievable. Also, he's 23. Which feels impossible.

How old is that in Pelicans years?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

That's actually a 3-year-old

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Got traded to Portland and is bad

His transition to small forward has gone well for two games!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Athanatos posted:

Everything I've read said no. There is a free trial right now, load a free trial account at the same time and see what it tells you.

In the past when I've tried, it immediately logs out the other person

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

The drawn-up play on the second video was nice.

It's really nice because usually you would expect that trailing screen to pop Lillard open to receive the pass above the arc with space for a 3. Really good execution, especially Leonard with the moving screen.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Metapod posted:

Westbrook is the best player in the nba

Yeah but people are posting hot takes, not stone cold facts.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

alansmithee posted:

Ehh, it's not quite that much of a slam dunk, especially compared to Magic who had some ridiculous seasons.

Looking at a bunch of numbers, I wonder what CP3 would've been like without his knees getting all messed up. It's hard to think he could've played better than he has.

It very much is a slam dunk? It's not close, none of Magic's or Bird's seasons have even approached Curry's, unless you strongly believe in those guys having an unquantifiable defensive presence that narrows the gap. Which is an insane thing to believe.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Bird had a few seasons that were comparable and played much better defense than either one.

He only had seasons that were comparable if you ignore every single advanced stat and several counting stats.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

How can you even pretend to be excited about that

Evan Turner deal looking bett.... ugh gently caress this I can't even do it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

I feel like "top 5" or "top 10" center in the NBA is a label that is tossed around without anyone attempting to count. Kind of like how people throw out "one of the best passing big men" label without attempting to compare to anyone else.

Also only trotted out when someone wants to eliminate all of the 7' power forwards who definitely should not be compared to 7' centers.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

wearing short shorts is tight as gently caress

Seriously, it's about time this came back. It's shocking that Westbrook wasn't the one to start it though, dude is resting on his laurels.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Gynecolojustice posted:

its tough with hairy thighs :(

No that's when it's super pro

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Can we all agree that Evan Turner is not a very good basketball player and that it was silly to think otherwise.

https://twitter.com/BenGolliver/status/793670251011465216

This is a little unfair because Turner is pretty much always on the floor when McCollum and Lillard are not. At least it seems that way.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Austin Carr for the Cavs. Cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot stand him. And I love the idea of a cantankerous grandpa on commentary, but man oh man do I hate his commentary.

Yeah he's really bad.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

PurpleJesus posted:

Austin Carr is the goddamn best and I won't hear a negative word against him. Also, now that I'm caught up on the thread, I will try to lurk less.

It's okay to acknowledge terrible work even when it's associated with our own team or players we once idolized. For example, speaking as someone who was going to Blazers' playoff games in the early 90s and whose own dog is named Clyde, I can still recognize that Clyde Drexler is a horrendously bad announcer, almost on par with how bad Austin Carr is.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

Pete Pranica and Brevin Knight are the best announcers in the NBA. I'm a homer for them because they love memphis but are not homers

Said someone who's never watched a Knicks feed.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Strawberry Panda posted:

OKC was on the 2nd night of a B2B. I'll give them a pass.

Also they were playing a much better team than them.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Damian Lillard is pretty good.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The Warriors are trash, not even in the sense that they're bad, they're just loving lazy and sloppy as hell and watching them is boring.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I disagree, but the schadenfreude is tremendous

KD is the only exciting part of this team. I hope he's slapping Steph and Klay in the face at every practice.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Up Circle posted:

I'm gonna put myself out on a limb here and say we're gonna win a title in the next 2(two) years

It's so refreshing to see that Lakers fans are back and still Lakers fans.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kibner posted:

"Man, what I wouldn't give to win the draft lottery and get Anthony Davis!"

*monkey paw curls a finger*

I was so excited for Oden and then he just crumbled. This is like an inverse situation where the player lived up to the hype but his entire team died around him. :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Did they really miss that obvious of a goal tending call?!?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lockback posted:

A guy like Klay will be hurt because his game will be off rhythm, and he's going to be playing in places on the floor he is not used to. I predicted we'd see Klay take the stat hit this offseason and its been a good start to see that come true.

Predicting that the stats of the 2nd-best player on your team will suffer a bit when he becomes the 3rd-best player on your team isn't some amazing or novel prediction. Klay has been pressing badly which has lead to missing wide open shots, but that's a coaching issue, not some sort of mismatch of skills or him having to move to different spots on the floor than he was before. He's also always been a streaky shooter.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

Also as fun as the shook jokes are Durant is far and away the best player on the Warriors right now

I thought the shook stuff was all dumb and annoying until the season started, because Steph actually looks shook. KD looks like a cold blooded veteran though, he's been as amazing as ever this season.

Also I can't believe Portland just won games in Dallas and Memphis on the same trip. I know those teams aren't what they used to be, but I can't remember the last time that happened.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

Calling it: next offseason big men won't work out with Hakeem but will instead work out with 5'8" white guys.

That was very much a Hakeem move though.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

cisneros posted:

Why does nobody do the bounce pass that goes the other way anymore

Cause their coach will bench them the first time their teammate doesn't catch it. See Jason Williams for reference.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

the NBA continues to be the only woke sports league

Compare Stan's (and also Pop's, before the election) comments about this to Bill Belichick's and Tom Brady's absolute horseshit:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/11/09/bill-belichick-says-that-donald-trump-letter-was-about-friendship-not-politics/

"Talk to my wife, I'm not allowed to talk about politics anymore." gently caress the gently caress off, Tom Brady.

The things that made me happy when I woke up today were my wife and kids, and Damian Lillard. gently caress yes, it's NBA season and and basketball is wonderful.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Lillard has been finishing MUCH better at the rim this year than any previous year. Here's a graphic. Early of course, but it's still been really nice to see.

2015-16

2016-17

He's also currently 3rd in the league in free throw attempts and makes. He's playing his mind out (on offense at least!). It's fun to watch.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Smellyhead posted:

What happened in the second half of last nights game? He had like 12 points at the half then ended up with 38 somehow. Was it all end of game fouls?

He had I think 4 intentional free throws at the very end, but in general it was just doing the usual of hitting 30-foot threes and finishing drives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1fddX3Shwk&t=66s

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
We did it guys, we found the least shook Warriors fan:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/796572191466786818

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sheriff posted:

Didn't Bogut used to make a lot of questionable comments about how the NBA was all about "bling" and other dog-whistle comments about his fellow players?

He has yes, it's probably safe to assume at this point that Bogut is a complete and utter rear end in a top hat.

quote:

"The public's image of NBA players is true," he says. "A lot of them get caught up in the hype and do video clips with rappers and all that crap. They want bling bling all over themselves and drive fast cars. But that's just the way the culture is in America — if you've got it flaunt it and if you don't, you can't."

[...]

"I'm not into jewelry. I've got some earrings but they're not too expensive. There are guys who drop a hundred grand for a chain. The public's got it right - a lot of NBA stars are arrogant and like to spend lots of money and have lots of girlfriends and all that."

Hmm I wonder why your teammates aren't really interested in letting you into their inner circle, Andrew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Spite posted:

From the Blazers games I've watched it looks like they are good (on offense) when Aminu is hitting 3's. I don't know how they fix their defense though.

It's more about just getting any reliable 3rd contributor. They know they're going to get 40-50 points each night from Lillard and McCollum, but after that ????. Harkless has shown flashes, Aminu and Turner and Crabbe all have their nights, but they don't have anyone to pick up the slack if either of their main guards are struggling.

Ezeli should improve their defense when he gets back since they currently have basically zero rim protection. But it's never gonna be good.

• Locked thread