Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm so excited to stop hearing about Donald Trump every single day.
I'll believe that when I experience my first non-Trump day in a year and a half and not a moment sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's gonna take all my willpower and soberness to not, at some point this coming week, write on Facebook "Regardless of whatever you might think, this election will go down in history as a referendum on white nationalism. I know which sign I'm on; loving man/woman up and decide which side you're on."

I need to constantly remind myself that my extended family and Facebook are still going to exist after November 8.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't believe Obama is out saying that the republic and the world itself is at risk from a Trump presidency and I don't think he's exaggerating. There's a Steins Gate style timeline convergence happening in less than a week and I don't have a timephone to fix it with if it goes wrong.

edit: I also remember back in the first debate when Hillary had to look right at the camera and state clearly that America would fulfill its treaty obligations to the rest of the world since her opponent was openly saying that he wouldn't and instead run the US military like a protection racket.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 3, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kilroy posted:

I can't believe the Hillary campaign was naive enough to think that Donald Trump on tape admitting to sexual assault was enough to sink his campaign.
What he admitted to is unfortunately still completely mainstream in America, I think. Of course powerful men can just take pussy when they want it, thats what being powerful means. It being illegal has only put the smallest dent in its public perception so far.

My god this has been a bad year for painful realizations of how far we have to come on so many things.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Isn't that just accelerationism? Is that the work of a great philosopher?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Reading about Zizek (that video was my first time to hear his name) I guess what stood out to me is that there is a whole journal dedicated to criticism that his work is ambiguous and doesn't provide meaningful alternatives.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Schizotek posted:

Zizek is a rad dude who is often wrong, much like every other rad dude in history. His stupid "Elect Trump even though he's horrible because it would show Americans that anybody, not just political insiders, can get elected. Actually wait there's the supreme court to think about. Huh...." is just one of his dumber things. He's like craft brews. Just because useless hipsters obsess about him doesn't make him bad.
Craft brews aren't going to result in the end of America but him encouraging people to vote Trump could.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You wouldn't be able to see anything under the flap

When I see pictures like this I wonder if any of the truly faithful rubbed his tiny penis for good luck in business before the statues came down, like people rub the bull on Wall street which I still can't believe is a thing I actually saw with my own eyes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

pgroce posted:

Republicans: Literally that Dude from Memento
Memento was meant to be a metaphor for humanity in general.

edit: Republicans are the most human humans.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 4, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

A nice, easy to read, breakdown of the bullshit behind emailgate from Vox.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/4/13500018/clinton-email-scandal-bullshit
I think it's as clearly written as it can be, and I agree that it's nonsense to look at this as a deliberate attempt to hide something, and that focusing on this has robbed Americans of the chance to really understand Hillary's actual policy stuff. It still just looks squirrely as hell though. I guess pretty much all email use at that time was like that.

edit: it probably still is for lots of people. I'm glad I'm in a situation where my work and personal emails are finally completely separate; they weren't for a long time.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 4, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Ah, but there is a solution for that, my friend! :shepface:

Basically, it's illegal for a former Representative or Senate to leave Congress and immediately turn around to lobby (ie expend valuable political connections or capital the former Congressmen have, which is exactly why they're paid so much loving money hand-over-fist) their own respective legislature.

HOWEVER, it is not illegal to immediately lobby your legislative counterpart (ie a former House Rep lobbying their Senate friends); and oh gee whiz, there's some nice Scotch at the liquor store down the block from K Street, maybe we can open a vintage bottle and have a relaxed conversation over a steak dinner at Smith & Wollensky's later?

I know this, because I personally delivered Scotch to a former Congressman and was treated to a free dinner at Smith & Wollensky's and some other seafood restaurant overlooking the Potomac near Georgetown as a reward for my good work. :ssh:

Feel free to ask me more about the wonders of lobbying (ie, my reasons for running away screaming from a prospective career in DC :gonk:)!
I figured most of it was denial that wining and dining meaningfully affected their voting and stuff, despite all evidence that it does. I've heard similar things about doctors and pharmaceutical sales reps and what drugs doctors prescribe.

edit: more in general, I heard that techniques of persuasion works the best on people who are convinced they don't work on them.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 4, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Duke Igthorn posted:

Trump voters are simply uninformed. They are "voting from the gut". You know why the Trump bus video wasn't a big deal to them? They didn't watch it.
Republican voters are "gut voters" they vote based on feelings and narrative. They're TOLD something and they believe it because they feel like that's true. They're TOLD the media is in Hillary's pocket and it has to be true, otherwise they wouldn't have heard it right?

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/11/9-women-on-why-theyre-still-voting-for-trump.html?mid=atlantic

Read that and you'll see the common thread: I FEEL like this is true, therefore it is.
From the article:
Along these lines

quote:

I’ve never heard about Trump cheating.
Never mind that him cheating on his first wife with his second wife is the literal documented reason for their divorce, she didn't "hear" it so it's not true for her.

Man, to live in a soft, fuzzy world where documentation and evidence don't matter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cingulate posted:

Super quick, and as far as I understand it:
- random drift is modeling a process as brownian motion. A particle randomly drifts, attracted by external forces. For PEC/Sam Wang, the particle represents the vote margin, and when it's drifted from the current poll median to Nov 8th, its location is one prediction for the election margin. You do that a few thousand times and it's a good estimate of a stochastic process.
- Bayes, in this case, means Sam Wang adding an expectation of where the particle should arrive, based on the race so far (previous, older polls). So Sam is saying: the particle/margin is probably going to drift towards the mean of previous, older polls.

Does that make sense?
I've definitely learned more about polls and prediction in this election than ever before. It could also all be rendered meaningless in a few days.

• Locked thread