Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
There's an Owlboy thread over here. Not that the chatter bothers me personally, the thread is just a little sad in terms of posts and could use some love. The game looks gorgeous and I'll definitely be purchasing it at some point.

Still steaming through World of Final Fantasy and Dragonquest Builders myself and getting ready to maybe try Titanfall 2 this weekend if the playerbase hasn't totally died out already.

Jay Rust posted:

Lizard Wizard has inspired me to play XCOM 2 as well, please let me know if you want a spot on my squad, we are a vibrant, exciting, fun, fresh company looking for enthusiastic volunteers to help us kill aliens and alien-lovers

I spent almost as much time making friend/family/novelty characters in XCOM2 as I did Miis back when the Wii came out. It was pretty fun stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Unityyy :argh:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I get the appeal of it but it's just so bloated and their SDK had a mobile-first bent for so long. The one time I had to use it for something I hated it. It was like trying to make Flash with a 3D modeler from the 90's.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The salty thread peaked at the extremely calm freakout. I laughed very hard.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I will be an xcom person. I am a guy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
A platformer doesn't need a story, but that doesn't mean they should always be done without one. Shovel Knight has a simple but well-done story that adds to the experience, especially for people who one-and-done it. For re-players and speed-players, it's simple enough to not get in the way.

N++ is a different thing. The dev chose to focus on level design alone and left everything else out and that's ok too.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lobok posted:

Worth distinguishing between story and premise. Something like Mario or Double Dragon has a premise but basically no story. Tetris and Mario Kart have no premise and no story.

Excuse me, the premise of Mario Kart is for one plucky dude to prove that he is the baddest, best racer in all the Mushroom Kingdom. That racer is Toad.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I like Ubisoft e3's because they are so dumb and over-the-top and Aisha Tyler makes it fun but I don't exactly watch to see what "cool games" they're releasing since UbiArts is their only good studio. Ubisoft may not be as hated as EA but trust in them is extremely low. If they're surprised people are wait-and-see about their games, they are not paying enough attention.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
My response to that trailer was "Nomura's directing? I guess this game is never coming out."

The sad thing was that this was Nomura's response to the trailer as well.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Phantasium posted:

I'm not worried about the FFVII remake because it's being done by CyberConnect2 which launched 7 games, three animes, several manga and poo poo all for one series just on the PS2.

Also probably why it's being broken up into parts.

On the other hand, Noumra thought Kitase was directing the game until the trailer released and he saw his name. On the game they'd already started prelim work on. My confidence is not high.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Add me. I guess I'm ok with dying for a good cause.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lizard Wizard posted:

A little bit punk?

Close enough to Marceline.

I get the nerd accent thing. But there are a lot of different nerd voices in popular culture. There's the super nasal thing, the good pronunciation with gravitas and arrogance, the quiet with awkward laugh, the quickly-talking morning DJ who is excited about everything no matter how trivial, the unending squeak, the unending sarcasm tenor, this list could go on forever. Voices are fun.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

Haha.

Haven't seen it yet. My biggest beef with it is that because of those sweet, sweet China dollars, they continue placating China's cultural war on Tibet.

gently caress China.

That totally blows, but Nepal is still a pretty neat location that fits the theme. The movie was good, definitely as psychedelic as the previews were promising.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Back before Quesada took over as editor in chief, Captain America comics regularly addressed current political issues and took unpopular stances on them as well if the writer felt it was right. Quesada was convinced appealing to horrible right wingers would boost comic sales so he repeatedly nixed that kinda thing, and Marvel Studios took an even broader approach to things, essentially stripping the character of anything more political than "Nazis are bad."

To be fair, Cap's opposition during the Civil War storyline was a stance against the Patriot Act, even if Quesada denied it for publicity reasons. Quesada is pretty spineless though for more reasons than that. The X-Men have been one of the most multicultural brands since Giant Sized XMen and has served as a writers' surrogate for civil rights movements since but in one fell swoop with the depowering, he wrecked all of that because he wanted super powers to be "special."

Meanwhile, the horrendous handling of Spider-Man could have been avoided if he either just had Peter Parker retire without the dumb clone saga shenanigans of the 90's attempt or had the balls to show two adults get a divorce in a comic book.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The only important status is playing video games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

Would that be like Poison or like Regen?

Pig.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

mini ufos yes, snaketits and space orc mutons yes, alien t-rexes (I wanna say they were called reavers?) no

There are the robot trex things, they're scary as hell.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Metal Gear is not anime.

It is a video game, true.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

What is A nime? A miserable pile of himitsu!

[translator's note: himitsu means secret.]

This post would perfectly illustrates the soul of anime if it was spoken by a little girl to her older brother who is Captain America.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

chumbler posted:

Hopefully they will convert to Titanfall 2, a Good Game.

Which will probably die too because EA is dumb and also gamers don't like good things :(.

I've done my part and am playing Titanfall 2 with goons on PS4. It's quite fun.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

tap my mountain posted:

Polygon sucks cause they want to tell you more about how a game makes you feel than about how the game feels to play

I like "how video games get made" articles more than anything (both as a programmer and from a "how it's made" standpoint) but I like fun player reaction articles like RPS does. It's really easy to skip over "some sad guy did something video game-related that no one cares about" news articles rather than getting all upset about them and sending them to everyone you know.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

MinibarMatchman posted:

give your money and time to danny o'dwyer's Noclip doc show instead of the dumb fucks at Polygon. He did Rocket League/Psyonix already and his next one is on DOOM 2016's development

This was a really neat article that Polygon did on XCOM, though it's less technical and more about Solomon's experience. I'm sorry I enjoy articles on a website people don't like.

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3OuLU5XCw

hbomb is real great to put on when i make dinner.

New hbomb hell yeah.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Yeeeesssss

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Early voted for Waluigi last week, no line for me today.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

I finished my Bloodborne stream and this is the news I come back to! I said it on twitter but I'll say it here too, I agree with FirstAidKite. Things may look dire, but we'll all be okay. It's a dark time, but I've seen darker. I've seen probably the darkest thing a person can experience*, and it's not fun. But it's worse than this, and I survived it. If I survived, you can too! We'll all survive it together.

*real personal stuff when I was 16 I tried to kill myself and I almost succeeded! My teenage years were very grim for my family life and I was bullied real bad in high school for being skinny and gay. I've come to terms with my decision now though, and I've mostly moved past it. I will never forget the pitch blackness I saw and felt, it's honestly probably the scariest thing I've ever experienced. So now, in the face of crazy batshit adversity like Trump, I say nuts to it. I'm not afraid.

I'm glad you didn't and thanks for sharing. It made me feel better and made me remember some of the similar terrifying poo poo I've been through in my life and survived. We'll get through this.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I didn't know that when people in games were referencing Assassin's Creed when they'd say that since I never played those. I knew the phrase from mysticism and chaos magick and stuff like that.

And yeah, that's the general meaning. We are the masters of our destinies.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Titanfall 2 is really fun and that is a good price.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I enjoyed Axiom Verge one time through as a janky Metroid NES love letter but there is no desire for a second play.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I didn't love it as much as Tangled or Brave but it was definitely a solid game movie and better than I was expecting.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Blocking is boring though

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Focus testing can help but it's not a cure all to flawed game design.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
With PoE, once I got past the overly chaotic combat, the one weakness with the game that bothered me most was entirely subjective in nature. I just didn't find the role of being the magic man soul searcher to be very interesting. Tyranny looks a little more interesting in that department.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

My cat, meanwhile, decided to pee on KCB's bathrobe >:[ bad cat

This is the second time we've caught him peeing outside of his litter box. He's neutered and his litter box is clean so idk what the reason is. We have a litter box in this room that we're gonna move over closer to where he has been peeing lately and see if that fixes the problem since iirc he has a vet appointment coming up anyway so we'll know if it is an issue by then.

It's possible he has built up sediment in his bladder that is making it tough for him to pee so he's looking for new spots to make himself comfortable. This happened with one of my cats and he ended up having to spend an expensive visit at the vet removing the sediment via catheter and now he's on what my wife calls "'dumb cat' food" for the rest of his life. It's this stuff ph balanced to make it harder for sediment to build up and stuff like tryptophan to keep him from stressing too much since stress leads to this kind of thing.

Why all this? If they build up that sediment and it blocks their urethra to the point that they can't pee, they can die pretty quickly due to toxin build-up in their blood. This is very rare in female cats but fairly common in male cats because of the length and shape of their urethra.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

PantsBandit posted:

I love that the Sonic twitter feels comfortable openly mocking one of their own games and vaguely alluding to 9/11 in the same post. SEGA is just so beyond giving a poo poo.

If Sega couldn't have a sense of humor about Sonic 2006, they'd be doing it wrong.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If it didn't also have the worst loading times and mini games in the series and more kisses, it might have indeed been the Brondo of the Sonic franchise.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It's genuinely amazing that the franchise didn't die entirely with that game and managed to shamble onward.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Yoshi's Island is one of those games that is a lot better in retrospect. At the time, all I wanted was Super Mario World 2 so I was real :smith: about the "big upcoming Mario sequel" being some weird Yoshi and Mario baby thing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
This year had a lot of good new games. So many that I've probably forgotten some of the smaller ones I played. I'd say the new games that I enjoyed most were probably Total War: Warhammer and Overwatch. Of the games that were not new this year but I really, really enjoyed anyway, there was Nuclear Throne, Trails in the Sky Second Chapter, Rimworld, and FTL (game of the forever). Special mentions go to really fun but not quite as fun as other listed games: World of Final Fantasy, Titanfall 2, Bravely Second, Kirby Planet Robobot, Monster Hunter Generations, Civilization 6, Dragon Quest Builders, Dark Souls 3, and Uncharted 4. The only remaining game this year that might have made this list but hasn't been released is FF15 and I'm still leery about it.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 15, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Going out in a blaze of glory even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Harrow posted:

That's basically the reason I still watch Game of Thrones, which I kind of just find boring at this point but, eh, we've been having watch parties for a couple years now and at least hanging out is fun.

Same. There are occasional fun parts but the best part of GoT is just hanging out with friends at this point.

• Locked thread