Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Was there ever a reason given for why the recent 2nd Doc releases were so barebones? Power seems to be going back to the typical "everything and the kitchen sink".

they wanted to make sure they got those episodes out quick before someone deleted them again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Matt Fitton weaves three timelines together almost effortlessly with nary a hint of confusion.

I absolutely beg to differ. Once it was over I had to immediately start it over again because I realized I didn't have the faintest idea what had just happened.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Forktoss posted:

(holy poo poo Power of the Daleks, can't wait to get the BluRay and all the deliciously unnecessary extras)

You're not legit unless you get a signed copy from Anneke Wills

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Tried to buy Power of the Daleks in the BBC Store via VPN but it still wouldn't let me because of my billing address. Why can't they be more like the Mexican Origin store? :argh:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Tried to buy Power of the Daleks in the BBC Store via VPN but it still wouldn't let me because of my billing address. Why can't they be more like the Mexican Origin store? :argh:

Looks like it's available digitally in the US on Amazon????

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I should listen to these UNIT audios.

the team's back together!

Good to see they finally got the studio clean enough for John Levene

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i see what he's getting at, he just phrases it like an old person

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

With Miss Trunchbull, no less! I hope she becomes a regular

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

goddamn the more i think about it the more pumped i get, Pam Ferris is the companion i didn't know i always wanted. Imagine Tom traveling with someone like Evelyn Smythe :allears:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

:thurman:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Found on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/realDavrosTrump/status/805331457648578560

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

vegetables posted:

It's the thing that made me want a proper Cyberman story about depression, which I can't quite believe still hasn't been done.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

man I've heard mixed things about John Levene in the past but I didn't realize until listening to the newest Big Finish podcast that he was such a loving kook

even in the photo Nick looks slightly afraid

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Tim Burns Effect posted:

man I've heard mixed things about John Levene in the past but I didn't realize until listening to the newest Big Finish podcast that he was such a loving kook

even in the photo Nick looks slightly afraid

lmao

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I feel like unless Big Finish really hits it out of the park with the last War Doctor set and the 8th Doctor Time War set, they'll just end up proving Davies and Moffat right in that the Time War was something best left to the imagination.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

If only we had known in advance that Big Finish could get hold of a premise that allowed for weird, unique storytelling and completely squander its potential.

*glares at the Divergent Universe arc*

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

"The Kid" is a forgotten masterpiece imo

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

FreezingInferno posted:

Oh, that's timely. For a while now I've made Christmas Eve into Bad Doctor Who Night. 2014 was when I watched the copy of Warriors Of The Deep I got, and 2015 was when someone hurled The Twin Dilemma at me so I watched that on Christmas Eve as well.

I've planned The Dominators for tonight because it's the one universally bad episode I've yet to witness. Will I need the Christmas liquor?

Fortunately when it comes to Doctor Who dvds, the worse the story is the better the audio commentary tends to be

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Man, say what you will about his overall plots, I'm really gonna miss the way Moffat writes dialogue

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

apophenium posted:

That's too bad about McCoy... Does he just get weak scripts or does he not bring enough to it? The manipulative, information withholding side of that incarnation is really interesting. Plus I love McCoy's accent...

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations folks!

Well to invoke rule #1 of Doctor Who/this thread, I feel that McCoy has gotten some of the best stories (A Death in the Family is unreal) so YMMV I guess. Then again, most of the ones I really like are from after the first 50 so that would limit your selection somewhat. Go for the ones listed above, plus Project: Twilight and Project: Lazarus. THEN wait for BF to put 51-100 on sale and go hog wild (The Harvest! Live 34! Night Thoughts! RRRRRRRRRRRRRED!!!)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

That said, I've found that Big Finish to be in a bit of a rut for the past few years. My appreciation for most of their main range scripts seems to hover about a 7/10, and it doesn't really feel like they're trying to push the envelop much any more.

Have you heard Aquitane yet?

Definitely gonna second Simon Guerrier here too, his work in the Companion Chronicles range (especially Home Truths ) is some of my favorite material that BF has ever produced. He's got a knack for writing fully realized worlds/premises and dropping the Doctor and friends into them, kind of like Robert Holmes but without the passion for scaring kids

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The Kingmaker can be hit or miss depending on how Nev Fountain's humor lands with you, I personally thought it felt like bargain-bin Douglas Adams

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

jivjov posted:

I do wonder if BF is going to delay or otherwise alter release plans. It may come off as a bit morbid to go "hey, here's a brand new release from a guy who just died" (especially since Invisible Man was slated for somewhere in the next 4 days)

Looks like they've delayed The Invisible Man a bit, it says "Out in February" now

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

After The War posted:

What's that? The entire cast of Bletchley Circle, you say?

(I've said it before, but dammit I can keep dreaming.)

Hattie Morahan (on the far left) has already played the Doctor's companion.

on audio :getin:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

if we're floating candidates for female Doctors I vote Julia Davis, she's really good at being hilarious and kind of terrifying at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn-Q4P-tKnc

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

And More posted:

I want them go to all out and cast an even older female Doctor: Kathryn Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-nEG_jNEeE&t=25s

Someone brought her up in the last thread, and she just seems so perfectly odd.

if we're gonna go older there's really only one choice

If you thought Capaldi was channeling Hartnell, you ain't seen nothin' yet

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

They've never cast a bad actor as the Doctor. Who could they cast - realistically, leaving aside fantasy-casting and going on actors who are plausible prospects at the moment - who would be a "bad" choice?

Michael rapaport

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i would like to propose a plot outline of series 10

say we are following him along on his adventures but get this, maybe the doctor...is bad???

let me know if this has been done before tia

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

if you wanna talk Big Finish story arcs nothing tops the one that starts with a goofy story about vampires ( Project: Twilight ) and ends with arguably the best Doctor Who story ever that involves multiple character arcs being resolved NINE years later ( A Death In the Family )

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Big Finish's 4th Doctor stories are fun because it's nice to hear Tom again but the stories themselves are pretty average. Tom has yet to have a story that really knocks it out of the park like the other Doctors have (then again I've only listened to the first two series + the standalone box sets)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, yeah, good old "Doctor Who Omnibus". That's where I started watching the series. I got into it just as it was going through some McCoy stuff, then the first DVD I got was "Remembrance of the Daleks" when I was 10, and then it switched to Davison and I didn't understand why the actor had changed. :D

Surprise!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

MONDASIAN CYBERMEN IN SERIES 10

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's a spoiler thread for spoilers lads

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So? It's about politeness not rules lawyering

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Episode 1 of Keys owns if for no other reason than the random stagehand that does a really bad job of not being seen

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

All the J&L sets are worth listening to, but Series 5 is by far the dumbest one. I've listened to every one of their boxsets and "The Case of the Gluttonous Guru" is the only J&L story I can think of that i've actively disliked.

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 24, 2017

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I don't know if Big Finish has done it this way every time, but I know in "The Isos Network", Briggsy used an old electro-larynx for the Mondasian Cybermen just like in the tv show

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Do they release those on video or something? The UK is never going to get that in cinemas.

Most of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Astroman posted:

And his First Doctor impression is second only to Peter Purves'.

I feel like Russell's voice sounds closer to Hartnell's but Purves is better at nailing the mannerisms, so both are great for different reasons imo

• Locked thread