Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Martytoof posted:

So uh, I don't know if this is blasphemy in here or not but the animation on Power of the Daleks looks pretty awful. This is the best BBC could come up with? I mean that's just the impression I got from the youtube video.

That's why I haven't really been all that excited for it. That quality of animation is okay when it's just filling out gaps in a story that has other remaining episodes but I don't really think it'll work for me for the full six episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Finally decided to pick back up with the Eighth Doctor Adventures after some detours into Benny, T. Bakes, and John Hurt territories and I'm starting series 3 and uh, is it just me being a bit sensitive or is the villain in Orbis skirting pretty close to being uncomfortably transphobic? Like, it feels like some Buffalo Bill poo poo.

Forktoss posted:

Has anyone got the Doctor Who comics Humble Bundle? The $1 tier seems to be only old IDW stuff, which I haven't read that much and what I've read I haven't liked that much, but for $8 and $15 you get Titan books as well, including the whole first and second volumes of the Tenth and Eleventh Doctor books and Vol. 1 of Twelve. Worth picking up?

I've only read the single Eighth Doctor issue included so far but it was pretty good stuff. Interesting concept, fun new companion, made me want to read more. Can't really go wrong for the stuff there for the price even if it's more of a "taster" bundle.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Big Finish should make their weekend sale First Doctor themed to commemorate America trying to take themselves back to before the Civil Rights Act :suicide:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

EDIT: Massive 8th Doctor sale today. EDAs are $5, main range stories are $5. Dark Eyes and Doom Coalition sets are $20

Aaaand i now have every Main Range McGann but Minuet, Creed and Scaredy Cat.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I normally find Funko Pop figures really ugly but I was looking through some Who stuff at an online store and came across what has to be the happiest looking Cyberman this side of Terra Alpha

Just look at that big grin :3:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
A handful of Big Finish Dalek stories can be had for $5.99 each by going here and entering the code servant

• The Juggernauts
  • Plague Of The Daleks
  • The Curse Of Davros
  • Energy Of The Daleks
  • We Are The Daleks

Also, some Australian broadcast news: ABC will be putting The Return of Doctor Mysterio and Power of the Daleks(!) up on iView after the former finishes airing in the UK (which should probably be something like 8am Boxing Day down here?) and then the Christmas special will play on both ABC and their kids' channel at 7:30 that evening.

Kinda glad I skipped out on the cinema event now. Much rather be able to watch it at my leisure in two or three sittings on iView.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Oh rad, BF just announced that T. Bakes will be taking on the Vashta Nerada in volume two of Classic Doctors/New Monsters.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm interested in the Silenced and Assembled sets of UNIT so I decided to just go ahead and grab the bundle of four volumes. Big Finish keep taking my money :negative:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Happy 53rd Birthday, Dr Who!

53 years of thinking what it's like to be wanders in the fourth dimension :3:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I listened to The Savages today and really enjoyed it. A neat 60s scifi concept and some great feistiness from Dodo and indignant anger from Hartnell. Steven's departure is also a lot better than most other companions to this point (apart from Ian and Barbara, of course); feels much more natural than the kind of "I've fallen so in love with this person we just met this adventure that I'm going to hang around in this environment that would be entirely unsuitable" that Susan and especially Vicki got.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wow, Geoffrey Bayldon is brilliant as the Doctor that never left Gallifrey in Auld Mortality . Channels Hartnell better than just about anyone else I've heard.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

Oh thank God, today the main range titles are ones I already own - I've already picked up 5 new titles so far this weekend.

I'm feeling the same about the fact that I already own everything they could offer for Cyber Monday. Between the BBC Facebook Dalek offer, the DWM poll winner specials, these last few days of specials, and finally jumping onto the new UNIT series with the release of Silenced I've spent entirely too much on Big Finish this week.

(Though Jago & Litefoot & Strax made it all worthwhile)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wow, I've listened to BF's first few Torchwood stories on the walk home from work this week and they're actually good. Like, proper good. Where was this quality when the series was actually on tv?

Also been watching Doctor Who and the Silurians and i don't really understand how anyone looked at this and decided "yeah, we need to make it so we can slap tits on these" when designing them for the new series. I guess you couldn't play on the lesbian fetishism of straight guys with Vastra and Jenny without making them sexy tho

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

It's really depressing because their first televised story was so good, but the Silurians have failed to live up to that potential ever since :(

I was going to say "the Cybermen of the 70s" but the Cybes had decent stories with Troughton, eventually turned out the masterpiece that was Spare Parts, and really The Tenth Planet itself isn't great suffering from Hartnell's weakness so really in that case it's just that the creature/design never reached that height again

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Weekend sale on Gallifrey. I'm honestly gonna pass on it...I don't want to be missing the first three series' from my library.

I decided to grab the two more recent sets because my understanding is that they're fairly standalone from the previous stuff and Celestial Intervention Agency operative Ace is a bit of an irresistible hook to me.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Oh man, just realised this month's The Sontarans is written by Simon Guerrier. Extra reason to be interested in it now, have really enjoyed everything else he's done in the Hartnell era.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are you saying you don't wish we'd had a series of the Doctor and his evil secret brother the Master adventuring through space and time trying to find their mysterious long-lost father Ulysses?

Could be worse, could be a book retconning Susan being the Doctor's granddaughter.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I decided to go ahead and pick up The Sontarans. It's pretty neat so far! This is my first dip into the Early Adventures line (I grabbed the first series when they were on sale earlier this year but they're still pretty deep down the Big Finish pile :sweatdrop:) and the mixed narration/full-cast format makes the story feel like it fits right in with the others of its era in terms of stylistic similarity to the soundtrack-with-linking-narration releases of the missing episodes. There have been sequences I couldn't really picture making it into the show as aired in the 60s, but Peter Purves narrating a full cast performance with music and foley makes it feel right at home alongside the likes of The Mythmakers or The Daleks' Master Plan (which this of course takes part in the middle of).

I think this is the most effective the Sontarans have ever been. They were surprisingly competent in their appearance in the third War Doctor set earlier this year, but they have a really imposing, menacing presence in this story that I don't really think they've had anywhere else.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
aaaah the Doctor and Susan's reunion in An Earthly Child is perfect. And Carole Ann Ford's appearance in The Five Doctors makes a great visual reference point for Susan in this story.

Astroman posted:

If you've never heard any of the Peter Purves Missing/Early Adventures, then this is just the beginning for you. His Hartnell is bar none the best, right up there with Frazier's Troughton. He's done a ton of great stories and it's like your in 1965.

I've heard most of his Companion Chronicles and stuff and adore his audio work, this was just the first of the newer line that I've heard.

vegetables posted:

I was really disappointed they didn't design a 60s-esque Sontaran for the cover, even though I know that's not a realistic thing to demand or expect.

They did get pretty elaborate with the video trailer for it.

That was neat. Glad they managed to work the bit from Feast of Steven in :3:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

Heheh, David Tennant is the new voice of Scrooge McDuck! :D

Doctor Who-oo!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The trailer for volume 2 of Diary of River Song is up over at Big Finish. Sounds fun!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Last Christmas is on telly at the mo. Best Christmas special by far.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Diary of River Song 2 is out early on download for the first day of Big Finishmas.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
DRAIN THE GEY-SER SWAAAMP

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Got a cheap Audible credit and not sure if I want to grab another series of Jago & Litefoot or the audiobook of Big Bang Generation. I like Jago & Litefoot but I still haven't listened to most of the four series I already have of theirs, whereas a Twelve and Benny story read by Lisa Bowerman is something a bit different and pretty appealing.

vegetables posted:

I think that one was never released as a download?

Nah, it's not one of the stories that was left to languish on CD only thankfully. It was first released as a subscriber bonus though, although I think you only get the digital version of the bonuses with digital subscriptions, so that doesn't really answer things either :shrug:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Just realised that William Hartnell and David Bowie shared the same birthday. Makes sense when you think about it.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I love Benny, but The Big Bang Generation is not good. If that's your first exposure to that side of the universe and cast, then it's worth pointing out how out of character some of them are (and given that TBBG was meant to be something of a send off for those characters, that's pretty egregious). But, then again, if that's your first exposure to those characters, you'll probably not notice.

Oh, that's a bummer. I only listen to Benny stuff when it's properly under the Who banner (the novel adaptations including her and the New Adventures of... sets) so her supporting cast being out of character isn't really a problem for me personally, but if the thing as a whole is kind of naff then yeah, I suppose I'd be better off giving it a miss. Shame, Twelve and Benny sounded like it would be a fun match, and the story being set in Sydney was an extra little bit of novelty as an Australian.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Pesky Splinter posted:

Twelve and Benny are quite fun together, but yeah it's not great a story. It just sorta...ends. And I was "Oh. Is that it? Oh". Lisa Bowerman's on top form as usual though.

That's a bummer. Suppose I'll just go with Jago and Litefoot. Or get the set of audio original readings from Matt's era. Or something else. I dunno...

Elsewhere, I've never really bothered much with the Short Trips range but September and October's releases pretty much have me

7.09. A HEART ON BOTH SIDES posted:

After her medical work on Terminus, Nyssa is now the controller of a hospital ship, the Traken. As the universe burns in the crossfire of the Time War, she and her assistant travel to a planet close to Gallifrey where they are needed more than ever. A long time ago, Nyssa knew a Time Lord and understood his people. But it seems they can change...

7.10 ALL HANDS ON DECK posted:

Everyone Susan Campbell cared about has gone. Most of them died in the second Dalek invasion, and her grandfather never visits. She's living in what used to be Coal Hill School, helping Earth rebuild again.

Then, one night, she's called away to help with an emergency. A piece of appropriated Dalek technology is malfunctioning, and everyone's afraid of what it might do...

This is just the first in a sequence of predicaments facing Susan - and the connection between them will shape the rest of her life.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

cargohills posted:

Peter Capaldi just said on the radio that Series 10 would be his last.

Bit of a bummer but now we can start the countdown to himjoining Big Finish :getin:

Burkion posted:

why in the gently caress did anyone think that was a good idea

Well we are talking about the show where an unapologetic date rapist was meant to be a sympathetic main character.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 30, 2017

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Megaspel posted:

Also, unrelated question. How does everyone feel about the main character on this show, who's name is "Doctor Who"? You know, the character who is called "Doctor Who", my friend Doctor Who, the doctor guy who's name is Doctor Who?

Doctor Who is required

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
September's Fifth Doctor audio Time in Office sounds kind of amazing:

quote:

As writer Eddie Robson explains: "Time In Office has been in the works for four years - script editor Alan Barnes came to me with the idea of teaming the Doctor and Tegan with Leela, on Gallifrey, with the Doctor being forced to take up the role of President he escaped at the end of The Five Doctors. Things shuffled around in the schedule and Alan suggested treating it as four one-episode stories. I loved this approach: I treated it like I was writing a sitcom, a Gallifreyan version of The Thick Of It."

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Davros1 posted:

For one week, BF is having a sale on the Main Range, from stories 51-125

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---main-range-special-offers

Didn't think I needed much from this batch, then I looked through the gaps in my library and cross-checked a few reviews for each story I didn't have and wound up with $130 worth in my cart :negative:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
War Doc 4 is up and I'm not crying you're crying

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Got some firsts for the Short Trips line coming up:

Jago and Litefoot meet the 10th Doctor in March and April

That's four Short Trips they've got me wanting this year now. Almost surprised by how much I've wound up loving J&L

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

The March Listener's Title from Big Finish is The Mahogany Murderers! This Companion Chronicle was the debut of Jago and Litefoot, Investigators of Infernal Incidents, in the Big Finish family, and served as the pilot episode for their own long-running line of anthology releases. Well worth the $2.99!

This is one I didn't have, so very happy to be able to be grab it cheap

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

Haha ur hosed say goodbye to your wallet. :smug:

I already have the first four series of J&L so that started a while ago, just didn't have their CC

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

And oh hey while sniffing around the site Spare Parts is also three dollars and I know that's a great standalone Cyberman storyFUCK IT'S ALREADY HAPPENING.

That's how they get you. Ya think "I'll just check out a couple of the cheap early releases", nek minnit

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

And written by Simon Guerrier! Sure to be a winner with that combo of Doctor, monster and writer.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

egon_beeblebrox posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/doctor-who-torchwood-audiobooks

Humble Bundle selling Destiny of the Doctor, The Churchill Years, 8th Doctor Adventures, and some Torchwood for $15.

Ehhh. I have all the 8DA and Torchwood stuff and half of the Destiny of the Doctor audio books but I'm kind of tempted to go all in to fill out the Destiny line and try out the first Churchill volume. 15 for that wouldn't be too bad.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Lukewarm takes now that I've finished listening to all the McCoy novel adaptations

Nightshade - pretty neat premise as essentially an ersatz Quatermass/Doctor Who crossover but ultimately felt like the story never really went anywhere. Reasonably interesting for the first half but then just kind of peters off.

Love and War - great introduction for Benny. I really like the genderfuckery going on with Christopher. "Puterspace" is such a terrible 90s scifi thing that you almost have to love how bad it is as you groan at it. More of Ace's broken home life is kind of good I guess? Don't really buy how quickly she fell for the traveler dude, but that seems to be a recurring thing for these early NAs?

The Highest Science - honestly don't really remember much about this one. Benny's in it, so that's something at least, right?

Theatre of War - I really liked the start of this one! Really intriguing concept and mystery. Didn't entirely like the way it resolved in the last episode tho, from memory.

All-Consuming Fire - Now this was good! I haven't heard any of BF's Sherlock Holmes range, but having recently started listening to the Simon Vance narrated audiobooks, I felt like they captured the feel of the characters pretty well. And the Doctor and Sherlock teaming up! How cool is that?

Original Sin - Decent introduction to the new companions, I suppose. When the big reveal of the villain came up I was a bit confused and figured it must have been vestigial elements of an unadapted book, though once i looked it up and realised who he was meant to be I kind of clicked like "oh, so that's why that particular element was such a part of his reveal."

Cold Fusion - I know this was more of a Davison novel that featured McCoy, but it ties in to the rest of these, so whatever. Pretty neat! The confusion of the Doctor's identities amongst all the different characters was fun and the finial coming together of the two was good. I guess the ancient Gallifrey stuff would be interesting if you're one of those people that go in for Looms and Others and whatever but it isn't really my cup of tea so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Damaged Goods - kinda brilliant. A council estate and a Tyler family, but not the ones you were expecting. Dark but not in the kind of gratuitous sex and violence edgy way I've always imagined when I heard about the NAs. Handles its heavy themes fairly deftly. Please come back and write the occasional episode for the show again, Rusty

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

Commutes are out of the question since I live so close to work , which is a shame because it'd be a perfect fit otherwise.

That's kind of a bugger because the half hour walk to work for me is a big part of where I fit my listening in each day. Other than that I'll maybe put an episode on when I go to bed. Or specifically dedicate an hour or two to it on the weekend; make a nice cup of tea, throw on some headphones, and lay back and listen to a few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, BigFin's War Doc material was really light on both "not in the name of the Doctor" and time fuckery stuff (there was a bit of the former in the first set, and the Neverwhen and Lady of Obsidian stuff for the latter), I was mostly just too happy to have more of John Hurt playing the Doctor to complain too much tbh. And now I'm thankful we got even that. As middling and wasteful of the concept as it could be, Sir John always put in a good performance

• Locked thread