Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Doctor What is growing up

Now grow out into your coat you bean pole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

Well I mean the one in the OP in this thread. The stills look great but as soon as they added any kind of animation it just made me :stare:

The animation won't be great.

Best we can hope for is Invasion's animation and not...other...ones.

It's going to be bad no matter what because it's sub budget Government Funded animation.

But gently caress it, I'll take sock puppets at this stage

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainYesterday posted:

They'd run out of yellow before episode 3.

This made me laugh out loud much more than I wish it had

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm watching Talons for the first time because of the above

I knew its reputation

Holy poo poo I was not prepared for how *OVERWHELMINGLY RACIST* it is

This is magically hateful

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

The Master at least had coherent policy plans.

To be fair they weren't that different than Trump's

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Power of the Daleks is playing at 7:30 tonight but I don't know if I can get motivated enough to go see it.

Why's that

Not looking forward to the animation?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainYesterday posted:

The U.K. voted to leave the EU, don't they deserve a reprieve as well?

That's why they made Power of the Daleks.

It's been a 50 year long con

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Are we really going to have a dick-waiving contest over who made the worse move?

I mean unless something really out of left field comes up, one of those moves is temporary, like a really lovely 4 to 8 year rash that could have some unpleasant after effects for a few years after.

The other one is a wee bit more long term

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Our dick move has access to nukes and hated brown people.

While CaptainYesterday is entirely correct, we all know thanks to Zygons, so does theirs.

...well the hating of brown people anyways.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

God, the Daleks in this are real poo poo-eating-grin-having little bastards, huh? Lots of personality.

I really hate what happened to them after Genesis.

Genesis the main Dalek at least still had personality by the end, but after it they just were never the same.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really sad it's the new Silurian design.

I'm also not surprised it is.

Though seeing it next to a Sea Devil is hilarious.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can we just ban Moffat from interviews

For all time

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/unit-assembled

Guess whose back for the fourth Big Finish UNIT story?

How is

He

....time travel fine sure whatever I'll take it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'll just stay with The Return of Captain Invincible thanks

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
2 is easier to enjoy when you're younger because it's flashier and IN THE FUTURE and all that

3 is the one you grow into and acknowledge the strengths of more and more

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Box of Bunnies posted:

Wow, I've listened to BF's first few Torchwood stories on the walk home from work this week and they're actually good. Like, proper good. Where was this quality when the series was actually on tv?

Also been watching Doctor Who and the Silurians and i don't really understand how anyone looked at this and decided "yeah, we need to make it so we can slap tits on these" when designing them for the new series. I guess you couldn't play on the lesbian fetishism of straight guys with Vastra and Jenny without making them sexy tho

I was Okay with the Silurians when they appeared in the revival because I had never seen Doctor Who and the Silurians. Even with the poo poo show two parter they were chained to, I was at best indifferent.

After seeing Doctor Who and the Silurians, I hate what the revival did to them and hate it every time they show up. It is just the dumbest piece of poo poo.

Let's take a genuinely morally gray species with a unique look, an ambitious and fairly drat well executed costume, and a surprising amount of depth...

And slap tits, mini skirts on them, make them look like Green Asari from Mass Effect, and make the issue hilariously one sided and really loving stupid. I hate aliens that are just people with face paint and bumpy foreheads by default- changing a species from something more interesting looking TO that is a giant gripe.

Yes I know they're another sub species or some bullshit, that doesn't make it better. It didn't excuse the Sea Devils and it doesn't excuse these chucklefucks

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Some things are better left unfound, I suppose. They recently discovered tapes of the missing episodes of the early cable access MST3K and the team basically said "We're really happy we found these, but they're honestly just too terrible to give out as Kickstarter rewards."

As some one who has sat through more of those than anyone should

No one should ever pay to see those. I love them to death for what they made, but the payment is having to WATCH them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

They brought the strip back for a one off in DWM recently for their Cybermen 50th anniversary issue! It's really good too. Maybe I'll see if I can scan it...

Yes please thank you

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It gives it so much more importance than it ever really had.

Susan just called him a Doctor because that was a human occupation and then she never really thought of a first name to give him and he never gave a poo poo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

Special feels a lot like Moffat fan-ficced the Doctor into the Richard Donner Superman movie. Like, he must have watched that film like 30 times while writing this.

You just promised me more than you loving know and ruined the entire thing

Now I'm never going to enjoy what's actually there

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think I hated every minute of that.

Why would you rip off Donner Superman and then do it in the worst way possible.

The movie is a piece of art when it comes to the bullshit sessions between Lois and Clark and this just...wow did not deserve any of that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Moffat really should not have tackled this story

I just

This was really not enjoyable for me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is though that it really wasn't playing with the media at all

It like, really wasn't

This wasn't satire of Superman, this was some bloke going "here's my lovely rewrite of an excellent scene in cinema that was already pretty loving self aware and far better done and written and directed and acted, pointing out what was already pointed out in that same movie that I am very toothlessly mocking"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BSam posted:

Nah it's just brilliant. Fun.

Nothing wrong with a good old super hero pastiche, you don't have to expect everything to be a self aware satire parody.

Here's the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bb78jAYhcc

That's the problem.

It's a shameless copy of this scene but done worse in every way and not on purpose.

Just, that entire thing is a thing of beauty. This might be my favorite scene in the movie and Moffat didn't do anything with it but copy it with a note of blandness. He didn't go far enough with growly voice to make that funny, he didn't push it further than what this already did

It just exists and is inferior. I'd be just as annoyed if the next Christmas Special recreated the boat scene from Jaws, you know the one, but poorly.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, the fact that he was effectively fired when he made Talons explains a LOT about how Talons ended up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You missed another big one

Fletcher is extremely similar to the name of the animation studio that created the original 9 1940s Superman cartoons, Fleischer. Which might be some of the best looking animation ever made, especially some of the all time best of the Golden Age of animation. It would be remarkable if that wasn't on purpose.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I keep coming back to the fact that the Doctor just walked away from an innocent man being left to die.

I love that the super hero super dude shows up on the scene, the Doctor knows who he is, knows that these aliens are bad news and that they've done terrible things that he has personally witnessed, and they just leave despite being able to take care of the problem right then and there. It wasn't even like the baby monitor went off during the scene and that's what led the Doctor to following him- they just all collectively decide that taking care of the evil alien murderers wasn't important what so ever, so they didn't even bother.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Or maybe we get rid of the TARDIS and make it a crime procedural where the Doctor lives in LA and helps the police solve cases!"

I mean, I liked the Third Doctor, J-rule.

I thought you did too I guess I was wrong

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
THat's supposed to be 10?

He looks like 11

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

My concern is that they'll finally cast someone who isn't a white dude but Chibnail's production/writing will leave people cold and it'll be blamed on the casting.

No, no, this time they'll finally cast a woman!

Because Chibnail has a great track record of making the female version of existing characters!

no I will never let the Cyberwoman thing die why in the gently caress did anyone think that was a good idea

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's not fair

Spaced is near perfection

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The "New Kind of Ice Warrior" worries me greatly.

We're all in agreement- the work they did on the Ice Warrior in the suit was great. The CGI thing...not so much. Right?

I really don't want them to take away the clunky suit look.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Quit

Just

Quit giving the man work on Who

Please. Please. There are so many other writers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LordZoric posted:

Maybe it's because I marathoned through that season in one sitting, but Moon wasn't that grating to me. Maybe because that episode about the trees took its place as "worst episode this season" too quickly. Blegh.

With Moon, it's worse in retrospect because now you know exactly what the writer was going for with that episode, thanks to the Zygons.

I think.

Moon's message is just so goddamn muddled and confused I'm still not sure what it was about. Regardless, there is a pattern with this man's writing.

It is not a good pattern.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

The idea that Harness was attempting to noncritically perpetuate anti-immigrant hate speech or anti-choice propaganda is ridiculous.

That he stumbled MASSIVELY in an attempt to wrestle with those issues is unquestionable.

See it's super hard to defend either point because both of them have such an awful, ugly mess of a message that

I know he was trying to say something, I'm just not sure what it was. I'm not sure he knows either

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

They're going to cast Peter Cushing (again!), his recent appearance in Rogue One has revitalized a career that seemed to have ended almost quarter of a century ago.

You know what if Doctor Who got another movie, this is exactly what should happen

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Which is utterly rich coming from him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Which would be a goddamn crime to do

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Apparently, that was Moffat's suggestion. I just hope next year we get River and Tom.

I hope he some how knows who she is and won't explain how or why

Turns out she's hanging out with the Curator at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Attitude Indicator posted:

This is a full season with Moffat, right? Then next season will be Chibnall and new doctor, correct?

Yeah.

I really hope they don't try to make the new Ice Warrior a sexy lady like they did with the Silurians. I get this weird feeling that's a woman and Moffat doesn't have the best track record in that regard

• Locked thread