Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

I haven't had time to do too terribly much on here yet, but I'll throw my hat in as well. Trying to migrate my Criticker ratings over when I get the chance.

https://letterboxd.com/SeveralGoblins/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Posting mine again as I've really finally made the switch over from Criticker and I'm going to be more pro-active in watching better films this year. I watched a lot of stinkers last year. Would like to read more Goon movie reviews.

I watched Jeepers Creepers 3 this year, but otherwise I'm doing much better and recovering from my previous history of poor cinematic decisions.

Me: https://letterboxd.com/SeveralGoblins/

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

Letterboxd turned me on to the greatest documentary ever so I figured I'd pay it forward. This seems like the best place to post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzMVnPytPSM

I don't really write reviews but this was such an experience I started taking notes, which I have cleaned up a bit and dropped here https://letterboxd.com/idiotbear/film/ernest-borgnine-on-the-bus/

It's an extremely wholesome pick-me-up and it's by the guy who did Heavy Metal Parking Lot!

This is so wholesome and I love it. Thanks for posting it. Borgnine seems like he was such a lovable, happy goofball. :)

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 1, 2019

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

My Twitter Account posted:

I've always thought this about him too. Shortly before his death he appeared on Saturday Night Live in one of Kenan Thompson's "What's Up with That?" sketches (a recurring sketch that always involved a lot of singing and dancing). He had no lines, but just sat there watching the scene with a huge smile.

Borgnine rules and now nothing will convince me otherwise.

For actual Letterboxd content, I finally signed up for Pro (the extra features are neat) and realized how to use the diary feature that I neglected last year. I'm sitting at 50 movies logged for the year. My fiance, friends and I have done several bad movie nights this year so far, so I've gone out of my way a few times to watch something higher quality to balance out the list. I think I'm going to binge some of my Criterion backlog to fix the good/bad ratio.

If anyone wants to see my bad movie opinions, here's my Letterboxd again: https://letterboxd.com/GelatinSkeleton/

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 28, 2019

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

1/2 Star - Shameful
1 Star - Absolute Garbage
2 Star - Bad
2 1/2 Star - Below Average. Still enjoyable to some.
3 Star - Average/Fine
3 1/2 Star - Above Average, Notable
4 Star - Fantastic, Memorable
4 1/2 Star - All time favorite material. Absolutely great.
5 Star - Masterpiece

I'm only really, really stingy with my 5 Stars. And I'm also probably really unreliable with my own ranking system as a fan of bad movies. Where the hell do you rank Troll 2, Miami Connection, or Blood Beat? They're awful, awful films that I love dearly. The perfectionist in me wants to score them low for consistency, but they're 5 stars in my heart. :allears:

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

InfiniteZero posted:

That's easy for me: I just give a film like Blood Beat 3 stars (because it's not an amazing 5 star movie) but I mash the like button and in my narrative review I make a note that a guy is attacked by a pantry and knocked out by a can of Tab.

If I or anybody looking at my profile wants to find good cult films, the best way to do that is to find movies with three stars or lower that still have the like button activated. Three stars and no like? It's probably a very average slog. Three stars AND a like? It's probably got a sex scene involving a can of V8 and fun to watch despite its many flaws. The Like button is important!

You are absolutely correct and I need to utilize the Like button far more. I only started using the diary button this year. :shobon: I treated Letterboxd like Criticker for too long and only ever rated stuff. Didn't bother with the extra fluff till I signed up for Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Looking at everyone's ratings makes me feel like I rate too harshly. Or I watch a lot of bad to mediocre movies. Probably the latter.