Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I just joined this so I can try to catalog my journey through "They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?"

https://letterboxd.com/weeklyfont/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I hope some of these are in the so bad it's good category cause there's some trash here that's a real good time.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm getting pretty sick of people just dropping spoilers straight up into their one sentence review cause they're trying to be Letterboxd dril

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TrixRabbi posted:

The weirdest thing is Aerosmith's last album of new material came out in loving 2012.

I'll never ever ever forget that either this album or the one before it is called "Honkin' on Bobo."

Early Aerosmith is good. Toys in the Attic slaps. Their downturn started right around when he started lusting after his own daughter in music videos.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There are a disgusting amount of people on Letterboxd trying to become Movie Dril and spoilers it aint fuckin happening

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hopefully they can get this to work so I can finally pull the trigger on a paid membership. Like they admit in the announcement, some of their features have been janky at best.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Darthemed posted:

Is there any way to block reviews from a specific user? I'd be so happy if I never came across another one of Todd Gaines' 'Here's a sentence fragment of a scene. Here's another scene fragment. An item was there. Someone did thing. Haircut,' entries.

I try to use mental powers to make block work like this all the time. Someone (hopefully not one of y’all) likes the absolute shittiest performative woke reviews by some rear end in a top hat and that means they stay in the “reviews your friends like” bottom of the home page for days.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Servoret posted:

Me too.

I feel the same way. I'm not a film critic. I'm just evaluating how engrossed I was in what I watched.

You're allowed to watch good movies (he says to someone, as Spooktober massively tilts his distribution every year)

Question: what does the heart actually do if you slap it on during a review other than say "yes I did like it as this 5 star review also states"

weekly font fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 14, 2019

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Franchescanado posted:

You have a whole tab dedicated to things you Liked, including lists, reviews, and films.

edit: Yeah that's right, I liked Salo.

As you should.

Thanks, for some I didn't realize the hearts for movies were lumped in there with hearts for reviews etc.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I, Butthole posted:

there is only chaos

Chaos reigns my non-bell curved friend.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Is School of Rock a 5/5 movie? Nope. Am I going to watch it whenever it's on? Yeah.

I'm not being paid to be an objective film critic so that sounds exactly like 5 star territory to me.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If a social network went full unrepentant tankie and could get away with it it’s probably letterboxd

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’d take it over what some of the people trying to be the letterboxd equivalents to twitters dril or Brandy Jensen or anyone else weird and funny over in that hellsite post as reviews.

Anytime one of those avatars pop up as the most liked review for a movie it makes me want to watch it less.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Spatulater bro! posted:

Jesus. I mean I get trying to make a brief joke review, but what I don't get is 2,000 people liking it.

Not the exact user I was thinking of but absolutely an example. I don’t need everything to be film crit lit. I follow David Ehrlich on there and don’t read everything of his and lord knows I’ll post a joke review. I think my aversion comes from this being a site about something and not a nebulous social networking potpourri like Facebook or Twitter. Meme over there.

Old man yells at Clouds of Sils Maria.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Franchescanado posted:

Speaking of, your review of Only God Forgives made me laugh again when looking for good joke reviews.

lol thanks and that's on topic too since it's p much a parody of that Letterboxd rear end in a top hat with the avatar of the girl peering over her sunglasses

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

EL BROMANCE posted:

Lucy? https://letterboxd.com/deathproof/ I see her around a lot as she reviews pretty everything before I've seen it but don't recall her being one of the bad LB people at least. Goofy sometimes sure, but no outright awfulness. But maybe I've missed something.

Yeah most of their reviews are low effort twitter poo poo with 6000 likes that are all some variation of

movie character: hello i movie
her: lol no

edit: i mean just look at the bottom of that profile page for two of the worst examples

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Friends talking about movies are cool but I find the social networking aspect of the site the whole point otherwise it's just prettier criticker or I can just keep posting here. I discovered some rad podcasts like Sleazoids through actual interesting LB reviews and it's a drag that more chances for that gets buried by attempts at being a memestar. And it's way more than just her, she's just one of the more prevalent examples.

Scones are Good posted:

I personally will take the annoying one liners over the dudes who used to be top review of everything a few years back who turned into maga freaks.

I had no idea this was a thing but why am I not surprised.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

2.5 stars is the worst rating I can give because it means it was completely average and mostly forgettable. Can't give a real 0 so .5 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen but that means I certainly won't forget it. And 5 is a movie I loved watching and will never forget which can range from No Country For Old Men to Cats.

I'm not gonna pretend my scale is anything more than on a whim bullshit but I do find myself going back a day or two later to a movie I just rated after seeing and adjusting by +/- .5 as I always over/underrate in the immediate aftermath.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

EL BROMANCE posted:

I replied before but you might not have seen. Essentially, not really sure what you're looking for!

There was a website a few years ago that did this and gave you recommendations off of it. No idea what it was called. Just movie poster after movie poster and I think you either gave it thumbs up or down - or maybe it was star ratings, tough to say. I'm guessing that's what they're looking for it.

e: Thinking about it, I can remember doing this with a specific person so that probably puts it around 2010/11. I don't know how or why anyone would remember this other than I'm almost positive I discovered it here.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I probably watched 5 new movies in 2020. Head just wasn’t in the game and when it was it was the warm bath of something safe and familiar.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I've definitely logged this year just not at the pace I used to

https://letterboxd.com/weeklyfont/

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Everything in Nothing But Trouble

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Franchescanado posted:

Tubi has been great for this.

I did all Tubi two years agoish and it was rough to say the least

https://boxd.it/8TU6i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Not just films. Music, fashion, all american culture sucked poo poo til at least somewhere in the 07-09 ballpark