Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
TMDB has ongoing series, too. But Letterboxed allows you to show TV movies, so maybe it was just miscategorized as one, or the lines have blurred between minis and TV movies and straight-to-stremaing flicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Above 50%: I liked this movie
Below 50%: I did not like this movie

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I only consider my film opinions from the past 15 years valid anyway. I had taste to some degree before I was 18, but I can't really trust my opinions of the time on a lot of movies. And even then, only really since my mid 20s are my opinions Objectively Good by my current standards. So I don't rate give a rating to anything that I haven't seen in the past decade and I don't watch something as watched if I haven't seen it since I was a teenager.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

fenix down posted:

Saw this on activity feed, and clicked through because I've never heard of it. With only 3 watches, I wonder if it's the least-watched film on Letterboxd?

Even the Day the Clown Cried has 4.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would use Letterboxd so much more if it didn't arbitrarily gate TV content. Like, why do I have to go to IMDB to make lists of sub-genres across mediums?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you get the Stylebot extension you can do things like that pretty easily.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there any way to fade/hide the watched films of another user? Like, if I wanted a list of all the horror movies a friend hasn't seen, can I do that?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not quite what I'm looking for. What I'm trying to get is a list of all horror movies that he hasn't seen from all horror movies ever/by decade. I can fade mine from his list, but I want a list of what he hasn't seen. Or, ultimately, I'm trying to build a list of every horror movie that neither of us has seen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Mine's a stop-motion short made by a kid in the 60s.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

That guy has quite the filmography. I like the sharp transition from cute Universal style monster features, into horny orgy movies.

We should all be so lucky :allears:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, it's a great reminder of how subjective taste is and how many people want and expect different things out of films than you. If you're reading reviews to get a deeper understanding of a film then you're probably looking in the wrong place. If you're reading reviews to see whether or not you'd enjoy a film, then reading average reviews isn't really the way to go. Like with Amazon product reviews, I find that Letterboxd reviews are the most useful if you read a couple low-star reviews and a couple high-star reviews and see which parts of each resonate with you.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

cebrail posted:

I think letterboxd just needs a different way of figuring out the top anything that they display. The top lists this movie is in or whatever it's called could be a fun thing, but it's always just "List Of Literally All Movies" or "1000 Movies That Have The Letter E In The Title".

Yeah it's rough. My biggest complaint by far is using the search function to find a list, though. The vast majority of my searches are that same garbage and I have to scroll for pages and pages to find what I'm looking for. I think the simplest thing is allowing an option for a title-only option. I also wish you could sort and filter your search results by likes, number of movies on a list, etc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If Criticker just got a bit of a visual facelift without changing any functionality it would attract/win back a lot more users. I use a browser extension with some custom CSS to pretty it up a bit and it makes a world of difference when it looks like a modern website rather than something out of 1998.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I dunno, man. I just hacked it together, but I'll take this boring:

over this eyesore:

any day. Now if it had spinning GIFs and patterned backgrounds it'd have some 90s camp appeal. But alas, it's just ugly.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Going to be hard to keep up the pace now that my wife has to use our movie room for teaching kiddos though.

You know what you have to do.

:sever:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I got in trouble when a friend looked at my letterboxd scores recently. At one point I'd ranked all the Universal horror movies against each other rather than against all other movies, and it meant that many were artificially lower than they should've been. I lost cred, sadly. But immediately made it up by recommending he watch The Visitor.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Man, I didn’t watch poo poo in 2020.

Same. I was an anxious wreck and when I'm anxious it's really hard to get into a movie watching mindset. Plus I really like watching movie with people, and, well...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The app is not full-featured, use the site.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Still mad that I can't filter multiple genres on the website. I'm old! I don't want to use apps for everything!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
May as well toss myself in the mix

https://letterboxd.com/gregoryreg/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

8one6 posted:

You just have to review a movie that no one else has bothered to review and by default you'll have the top review of the film. I have somehow managed this trick twice.

There's a couple short films I should write up just to get something on the board for them. A couple aren't even that obscure, yet don't have reviews yet.

Even on Letterboxd nobody cares about shorts.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I've got a lot of glowing 3 star reviews for fun low budget trash.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't know, man. I gave a pretty positive review to a loose VHS board game adaptation of Caves of Steel recently. I want to say that if I find things to appreciate a movie it inherently has merit, but if an Asimov-themed VHS board game can get me...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mostly make lists for me, like to track sub-genres I want to dive deeper into, or movies that I find out a particular friend hasn't seen that I'd want to rewatch with them.

Also have a couple lists that are public-facing like one made up of precursors to Indiana Jones that channel the same vibes, and I started a list of Every Sequel Ever because nobody else has, but I only bothered to put one movie on it so far. Already have one disappointed person who stumbled onto it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really, really wish you could sort lists by number of titles in search. I'm so sick of having to go to page 10 to find anything useful because a ton of generic "Weird Watchlist" and "Random Movie Roulette" lists have 3,000 movies in them.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Last time I did that they just directed me to their feature request site, which is flooded with a ton of inane ideas by people who don't know how products are built.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Nah he means the pointless lists people make like ‘every horror film ever’ that have 10,000 movies in them. I wish you could block them.

There is actually a use for them sometimes. I generally browse on my computer, and on web they haven't added the feature to search by multiple genres like they have on mobile. So if I want to find the list of horror-comedies I haven't seen, or a list of animated fantasy, the only way is to pull up one of those lists and filter by genre.

But yes, they really screw up my searches when I'm trying to find smaller lists.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What else is there on Letterboxd :confused:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kanonvandekempen posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there any consistency in which TV shows are on letterboxd and which aren't?

No.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Goons Are Great posted:

AFAIK Letterboxd just uses the imdb database so whatever people or bots add there, ends up in Letterboxd as well. Until they get removed, as I believe none of them are wanted up there.

Nope, TMDB.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Ralph Baskshi Lord of the Rings has some extremely powerful wizard beards

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ghouls are Ghastly posted:

Right now I'm wondering if ridiculously small or comically thin mustaches like in some of those mafia movies count as impressive facial hair, given their attention grabbing tinyness

So just every movie John Waters appears in?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was reading reviews and stumbled on Amanda & the Alien, a little piece of schlock that some people really seem to dig. Seems like it holds up really well as a trans allegory and is a bunch of fun to boot. I got a big smile on my face when I saw this review:

jonfkroll posted:

I made this film 27 years ago and am humbled and flattered by the comments here by those who enjoyed it. But I can only give it three stars; I’d like to think I’ve done better since.

Anyone else find other filmmakers discovering that people these days really enjoy their old b-movies?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 31, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that was a sponsored activation, ala the movie-themed Twitter emojis. Very cute, though, and cool of the Scream people to go to where the cinema nerds are.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's gaining traction, but I work for a major streaming service and I never shut up about how we should incorporate more of Letterboxd's product design philosophy. 95% of people I bring it up to have never heard of it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, my ratings reflect how much I enjoyed a movie, not how objectively good I thought it was. I've given plenty of absolute trash 4 or occasionally even 5 stars because I had a ton of fun watching them.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Goatse and Gallant posted:

How or in which situation would you use the Like button, if your rating already reflects how much you like something? Just as an extra or not at all or?

I don't! Favoriting and Like are useless to me. If I dig a movie I'll give it a good rating. My ratings are just for me and my reference.

I'll leave a review if I think a piece of trash is great for a particular type of person to let them know what's up, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For as many sorting and filtering controls as they give us, I can't believe that there's still no "at least 20 reviews" option I can select. I hate clicking into a film and seeing that it has no details attached and nobody has ever rated or reviewed it. Or that it played at one film festival 5 years ago and was never otherwise released. "Hide Unreleased Titles" feels like it should catch those, but I think it's just for future films.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Reading their update it wasn't clear to me whether the've solved the problem of the top of lists of obscure titles always being something that got 3 decent ratings at a festival a decade ago. That might be under the umbrella of "ratings manipulation" but I wish I could just have a filter that let me exclude things that have under 10 ratings.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Movies are certainly better than TV. That being said, it's really annoying to have to keep track of all the weird old forgotten 70s TV shows I want to watch without a service as good as Letterboxd to do it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That is definitely the better solution.