Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Is there an open team that plans to hang around in IRC or something like Discord? I'd like to participate, but it's so much more fun if I can bitch with people live or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

hito posted:

Thanks! I made a channel called "Desolation of Salt". Actually it doesn't need to be team only, it can just be the general voice channel for people who want to vocally complain. Joining the slow and salty team just means you HAVE to be salty

Slow And Salty
Team captain: hito

1. Jase
2. LordSloth
3. Goodpancakes

I'm in!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

What's the problem? Can't you walk through fountains? I'm missing something obvious

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

After double-checking, PleaingFungus was correct. The dump only tracks 'potions' which is surprising given how discretely other actions are handled.

If you want to tweak logging in your options, the closest you can get should be "note_messages +=". It is a bit cludgey, but it should give you hard data. On a tangential note, is Regen jewellery more common or is it 9nly the appearance caused by two different amulet types?

After a half-assed glance through the commits, I didn't spot any changes to the green in the last two years. Doesn't count out changes I just didn't know how to find, but I haven't been following dev this year so...

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

New discord (see OP) in addition to IRC classics, too.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Weeping Wound posted:

The blast of butt flame engulfs butt!

The noble pearl dragon, "Breaking Wind"

P.S. For the first day, I could not crawl. For the second day, it was only Gozag. And now, I'm good till January.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I just got trolled so hard by the secret door vault of doom in Elf:2. Good job guys, good job.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 11, 2016

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

LogicNinja posted:

Scrolled past this, did a double take, scrolled back up, started applauding. A+ 11/10.

Chill orc?
Chimneyspawn?
The Snowing One?
Yredelemnul to Tim Burton.
Beoghoho
Chris Muna
Jinglebells Jiyva
Trognog
Sleighbriados

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Speaking of that stair pathos, a good way to avoid more trouble than you would think is to simply dive the shoals. It's not that likely you would teleport to safety, you're more likely to get screwed, given the lack of corridors, let alone the chance of stranding. Oddly enough, I've found it easier to clear on the way up than the way down. Maybe because I have twice as many floors to retreat to.

Also, sometimes you can disintegrate a little cubbyhole to hide in. It's not much, but it helps, kinda like the abyss.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

...Don't drink or crawl you'll leave your stack of 55 large rocks in a treasure trove.
At least I'll get them back between okawaru and things. Enough of the loot was worth it that I don't feel too bad. From most to slightly interesting of the highlights
+5 pearl dragon scales "Qafuqok" {+Blink rElec rN+ MR+}.
+11 eveningstar "Daahom" {freeze, *Corrode rPois Str+3}
the +2 giant spiked club of Division {drain, rC++}
+3 slaying

There was some other poo poo in there, like a solid +2 fire dragon scales and troll leather, but I've actually not been lacking this run.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

tote up a bags posted:

Re: casting in plate. Don't bother. Get a good triple crossbow and win the game with that instead

It can actually be worthwhile without being a demigod or worshipping Cheibriados though also speaking from experience, it's more likely to make you splat. Edit: Oh, Minotaur? Yeah, don't bother.

Totally worth bothering if it's Portal Projectile to go with that Triple Crossbow. I -just- ascended a Naga Warper of Okawaru - the chain mail was a better match, but I could have cast some of my level 2/3 spells in crystal plate with wizardry. Much much easier with a good randart chainmail or highly enchanted storm or shadow scales, not even mentioning lower encumbrance armors like swamp/fire/ice scales.

Of course, the only way this character survived midgame was rampant abuse of heroism - I'd spread myself a bit too thin, but not irredeemably so. Going to +10 ponderous plate (i was a naga with lightning scales, so just as slow as always) was my way of salvaging my character while I put it all into Crossbows for sufficient killdudes. I had the book of warp, but not enough potential to use it properly.

https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/LordSloth/morgue-LordSloth-20161128-045201.txt

pre:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19.1 (webtiles) character file.

2929972 LordSloth the Sniper (level 27, 261/267 HPs)
             Began as a Naga Warper on Nov 25, 2016.
             Was a High Priest of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 6 runes on Nov 28, 2016!

The game lasted 11:33:22 (128434 turns).

LordSloth the Sniper (Naga Warper)                Turns: 128434, Time: 11:33:23

Health: 261/267    AC: 48    Str: 22      XL:     27
Magic:  9/42       EV:  7    Int: 21 (24) God:    Okawaru [*****.]
Gold:   7256       SH:  4    Dex: 14      Spells: 14 memorised, 1 level left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    b - +2 triple crossbow "Afrub" {speed, +Fly rPois rF++}
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    p - +10 chain mail "Fuacrink" {rF++ Dex+3}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  +          Spirit   .    Q - -2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
rElec  +          Reflect  .    y - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  +          Harm     .    J - +2 pair of gloves {archery}
rMut   +                        m - +6 lightning scales {run, rElec}
MR     +++++                    j - amulet of magic regeneration
Stlth  +.........               v - ring of Hiurgha {rF- Int+6 Slay+6}
                                w - ring of wizardry
A: claws 1, large bone plates 1, slimy green scales 1, see invisible, deformed
body, poison resistance, slowness 2, slow metabolism 1, spit poison 2, constrict
1, AC +9
a: Breathe Poison Gas, Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Flight
0: Orb of Zot
}: 6/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, slimy, silver, obsidian, abyssal

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +9 glaive of chopping
 b - the +2 triple crossbow "Afrub" (weapon) {speed, +Fly rPois rF++}
 Y - the +7 sceptre of Asmodeus
Missiles
 T - 1761 bolts (quivered)
Armour
 m - the +6 lightning scales (worn) {run, rElec}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Shoals)   
 p - the +10 chain mail "Fuacrink" (worn) {rF++ Dex+3}
   (You found it on level 4 of the Depths)   
   y - a +2 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
 J - a +2 pair of gloves of archery (worn)
 Q - the -2 hat of the Alchemist (worn) {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 2 of the Orcish Mines)   
Jewellery
 h - the amulet of Raaniom {Gourm +Fly MR+ Str-4}
  j - an amulet of magic regeneration (around neck)
 q - the ring of Iganiaro {*Slow MR+ EV+6 SInv}
  u - the ring "Seanofam" {*Tele rPois rN+}
  v - the ring of Hiurgha (right hand) {rF- Int+6 Slay+6}
 w - a ring of wizardry (left hand)
 L - the amulet "Daxiaq" {*Slow +Rage rPois MR+ Slay+5}
   (You acquired it on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)   
 P - the amulet of Kexeng {RegenMP -Tele rC+ rN+++ SInv}
 Z - an uncursed ring of positive energy
Wands
 s - a wand of hasting (7/9)
 C - a wand of teleportation (7/9)
 G - a wand of teleportation (7/9)
 M - a wand of digging (12/24)
 W - a wand of heal wounds (8/9)

Miscellaneous
 r - 2 phantom mirrors
 R - the horn of Geryon

Skills:
 - Level 19.6 Fighting
 - Level 20.0 Polearms
 - Level 26.2 Crossbows
 - Level 0.8 Throwing
 - Level 15.2 Armour
 - Level 6.1 Dodging
 - Level 20.0 Stealth
   Level 2.7 Shields
 - Level 15.0 Spellcasting
 - Level 7.0 Charms
 - Level 11.2 Summonings
 - Level 7.6 Necromancy
 - Level 24.7 Translocations
   Level 3.0 Transmutations
 - Level 3.0 Air Magic
   Level 3.1 Earth Magic
 - Level 10.0 Invocations
 + Level 15.8 Evocations

You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Apportation           Tloc           #######...   0%          1    None
b - Summon Forest         Summ/Tloc      ######....   1%          5    ###....
c - Controlled Blink      Tloc           N/A          4%          8    #######
d - Dispersal             Tloc           #######...   1%          6    #####..
f - Portal Projectile     Tloc           ######       0%          3    None
g - Summon Butterflies    Summ           ######..     1%          1    None
i - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       #####...     1%          2    None
j - Disjunction           Tloc           #######...   4%          8    #######
k - Malign Gateway        Summ/Tloc      ######....   4%          7    ######.
r - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      #####.....   1%          3    None
s - Lesser Beckoning      Tloc           #######...   0%          3    None
v - Passage of Golubria   Tloc           N/A          0%          4    None
w - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       #####.       1%          2    None
z - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          0%          2    None

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Aumanor posted:

So how's everyone's opinion on the last few patches? Way back when I've looked at the changelog for 0.17, went "gently caress that noise" and stuck to 0.16 whenever I decided to splat another squishy caster. None of the changes on the subsequent releases convinced me it's worth to convert to them. Am I missing on much?

Aumanor posted:

Still, I don't think any QoL changes helped pure casters and that's pretty much the only thing I play. Certainly not enough to offset poo poo like stasis and rmut being gone now. Add to that a slew of annoying little changes like ignite poison becoming way less useful and... ehh, I think I'll stay where I am.

Aside from various adjustments to spell availability, removal, level, addition, etc, here's some highlights that stand out to me.
    Spellcaster QoL 0.17 - kinda weak
  • Sticks to Snakes no longer requires wielding arrows
  • Casting Malign Gateway no longer drains player Int
  • Casting Haunt no longer causes sickness
  • High level spellbooks no longer restrict learning from them based on skill
    levels.
  • The auto_eat_chunks option is now true by default, so hungry characters eat
    chunks while resting, travelling, and exploring.
  • Allow searching for jewellery, dragon armour/hides and magical staves using
    abbreviations for their granted properties.
    Spellcaster QoL 0.18 - kinda good
  • Killing monsters in the Abyss eventually spawns exits and down-stairs. this has nothing directly to do with spellcasters but drat is it huge
  • Sif Muna now grants miscast protection at 2* and amnesia at 4*, rather than the other way around.
  • The amulet of magic regeneration, which increases MP regeneration after a warmup period.
  • Alistair's Intoxication is now level 5 and gives Vertigo status instead of confusing the player or draining Int, and can sometimes affect rPois monsters.
    Spellcaster QoL 0.19
  • Potions, scrolls and books can be used while still on the floor.
  • pre:
     Sif Muna changes:
      - The 1* Channel Energy ability is replaced with Divine Energy, which allows
        the player to cast with insufficient mp, causing temporary -Cast.
      - At 3*, grants "Channel Magic", trading piety for a fast MP regen status.
      - Book gifts now begin at 5*, instead of 6*.
      - Sif grants piety for both learning magic and killing enemies.
  • Olgreb's Toxic Radiance causes less damage, but doesn't poison the caster.

I could go on about some other stuff, but decided to just stick to answering the question. Speaking of questions, I completely missed the fact that Sif Muna had changed, since most of my casters are either hybrids or "blow 'em all to hell" Vehumet. Sounds kinda cool but I don't really have a clue and I'm currently loving around rather incompetently with a Kobold Assassin. How's Sif Muna play, and any particular fun goon combos to try? I might have done something painful like MuSu or MuIE in older versions, but since I no longer have the excuse of 'hungerless channelling' I'd probably just be asking for the usual mummy masochism ... unless I've also overlooked some significant changes on that front.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Crabs get a free attack while circle-strafing, but are slightly slow. 1.2 move speed.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Hooray, I finally won my first Kobold Assassin ^ Dithmenos. I'm usually opting towards tanky or casty, but this guy won with zero magic skill. I had some good luck that made things easier in some ways, but I did learn a few lessons I could use to repeat it on less fortunate characters.

I already knew about needles of confusion and sleeping working on more targets than poison and curare due to being a hitdice check, but I didn't realize that Ancient Lichs would ignore them outright. Orbs of Fire go wihtout saying but Ancient Lichs provided more of a challenge for me than all of Slime Pits to my surprise, at first. My formicids tended to treat them more as speedbumps than anything else. My collection of rods of inaccuracy and iron didn't help me one bit, but the pair of rods of shadow I had saved the day. I was already stealthy enough that tabbing solo against orb guardians the monsters sometimes lost track of me midtab, but that alone wasn't quite enough. With adds, I got in a lot more distraction stabs, not to mention a friendly ettin isn't a joke.

If I didn't have the rods of shadow, I could have gotten away with bags of spiders and boxes of beasts, if not scrolls of summoning, or a different god altogether.

10/10 would KoAS again, would no magic again. Having started in 2006 I continually underestimate exactly how good evocables can be.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I will not say this is a good build, but I'm currently having a little more fun with MuSu of Sif Muna than I expected. First, the summoning starting book really is quite nice. Having spammals, imps, and dog is a really nice progression for the early floors especially with mummy apts. The guardian golem is really nice when it explodes, leaving behind lasting clouds of flame- being a mummy I'm really glad I haven't been caught in that. Ice beasts and lightning spires are also good, and although my apts are bad I should have it online by lair. Second, Sif Muna is still a bit boring so far but a lot less tedious, and a tiny bit awesome. Only *** piety ATM, but the new channeling is pretty potent, 4-5 mp a turn, like ambrosia without the health or confusion, a lot more efficient in combat despite the piety cost since you only use it once. I have not yet tried the * ability to cast without mp, since I found a ring of magic early. Third, mummy still probably sucks, but the summoning start is surprisingly smooth... Before I'm forced to branch out with crap apts. I'll regret it later. But at least i can laugh at Menkaure.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Speleothing posted:

a) WHY is this effect not listed? I've been skipping guardian golem because it can't so much as throw a punch

b) I have never gotten a rune with a mage without either a ring of magic or staff of power. It's such an essential piece of gear that I kind of think that MP should just be boosted

... Let me know how new Sif works for you. I've only tried once after all. That two active abilities seem perfect.

OTOH, i will disagree, I have gotten that rune without. I do feel level one mp should be higher, but the rest is fine.

What I do feel is I'm hating the inventory limit. I just want four more slots, is a 28 letter alphabet too much to ask the devs for? Somehow my packrat conflicts are worse than ever, despite the seeming removal of items.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

What's a good melee oriented class that has a pretty varied toolset so I'm not just bumping into monsters until I win the game? I love playing wizards for all the tactical spells you get in the starting book, but I feel like I need to branch out a bit.

Here are a few stupid suggestions.
Naga Venom Mage- pick up the first polearm or sling you find so you have something to handle undead and more importantly something you can TAB confused monsters with without stupidly following them every step.
Hill Orc Fire/Earth Elementalist. Grab an axe and some armour ASAP, and get your magic back online after Vehumet. Aim for level four to five spells- you're probably gonna use a mid class dragon armor or randart scale/chain mail. Revel in point blank LRD. Cast sticky flame without panicking about the Hydra in your face! Note: Your ability to face tank means bolt of magma isn't all that bad, and being level five will be a bit easier to sustain than iron shot or bolt of fire.
A fighter type, any, really, with great evo apts.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

How debilitating is a negative aptitude? I want to use a polearm with my HEWi to get the most out of conjure flame, but i have a -2 aptitude. Can I still use it with reasonable effectiveness or will I be completely crippled?

As long as it's a one-hander, it's workable. IIRC, it's about a 40% penalty. While a bardiche will be an absolute nightmare, a demon trident will be no sweat. A bow might make a lot more sense however. High elves have a +3 aptitude. You could keep it low and use a shortbow to stretch your mp, or find the book of spatial translocations and portal arrows from behind a wall of summons and train up a longbow.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Hubris:
Just having ascended yet another FoFi^Chei (but this one without any amazing floorgod luck), I had the conceited thought to go for a streak. To make it hard for myself (but actually just because it was what I was in the mood for) I selected a MuIE^Sif Muna, not really expecting that much. I had a relatively early temple, and Psyche was kind enough to drop a +2 robe of resistance. Meanwhile I was finding out how frikkin fun 0.19 Sif Muna is. Divine Energy is a hell of a lot more fun and useful than it initially sounds. With 11 MP I was casting throw icicle without concern and later summoning ice beasts every few turns while retreating. I started actually feeling confident after clearing a hellish floor 10-12 to reach the Lair.

Of course, when I stumbled across a Volcano I had to go in. What was the worst that could happen? I negated rF weakness and they're usually pretty simple pushovers.

I didn't flee upon seeing the ogre mage. I killed the ogre mage. I didn't retreat upon seeing the two-headed ogres. I killed them. I didn't retreat upon seeing the hell knight. I didn't retreat upon seeing the hell knight take off oh, say, half of my health through an ice beast screen. I still didn't retreat until I was finally dead one more lucky bolt of fire later.

So I was high on Sif Muna. Once I started using Divine Energy right, it was addictive as gently caress, like Trog for magic. I also got amazingly power-drunk and stupid.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

In practice, corrode seems to correlate with the 3% listed in the learndb.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Hipster Occultist posted:

Is there a way to change the resolution?

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/docs/options_guide.txt

Here's your starting point. I can't go in more right now, but if you still need help later, I don't see a problem.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Well, Pikes don't exist as a standard type. Halberd? Trident?
There is some FSIM functionality you can run in wizmode to actually calculate an exact answer, but in general the rule of thumb is - does this tank my delay to something abominable, and does my accuracy suck? Usually the preceding are the same thing, but Fighting, slaying, and the high enchants complicate things. I might switch to a heavy but slow weapon occasionally for things in plate or damned imps, but I will absolutely never use a melee weapon with delay over 1.2 against a fast poisonous monster like wasps unless it's the first couple of floors. If I'm not strained for weapons, I'll switch around 1.1 delay and keep on training.

For a more mathematical answer
http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=weapon%20damage
http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=str
http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=skill%20bonus

The gist of this is fighting and weapon skills offer a percentage boost to damage while +s only offer a simple plus. If I math correctly, every five weapon skill offers 20% more potential damage, while every five fighting offers roughly 17% more potential damage. Balance that against enemy AC, EV, speed, and your delay + tohit.

I think a rule of thumb i've heard bandied about is roughly two or three plus equivalent to one base damage, but I usually do it by feel, so can't say much.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 13, 2016

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Ain't no meme here I just genuinely love crabs
If I could add Frogs to this whole "what if playable" thing too I'd be super down

Instead of lesser beckoning, greater tonguing. On second thought, maybe not.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Look, all I want are Unique Mimics and Unique Mimic vaults.

A Sigmund comes into view x5.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Lightning bolt is pretty powerful IMO, it's just less reliable. Unlike bolt of magma, cold, fire, it does not decrease in range for each enemy it penetrates, and can naturally reach as far as you can see, quite contrary to earth, for instance. Zap is similar in this respect.

It's still the 2nd worst level five spell for handling hydras right after bolt of venom. There are still ways to work around this even before gods are considered, but God save you from blink and spiny frogs, because nothing else will (except going somewhere else, of course).

My beginner magic choices are Draconian conjurers of Vehumet- you get exposed to a lot of spells, great health and solid AC.

I also like to take up venom mages with decent slings, fighting, or polearms aptitudes. I'll train a combat skill or two to six for basic competency and then turn them off through much of lair to focus on magic. I'll often focus more on the mines or dungeons before lair, but their stats can support a variety of playstyles, including more magic, with better fuel efficiency. Tip for your venom mage- three or so levels of stealth early on can have a pretty big impact on planning your fights.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I played a relatively successful Ogre Warper, but didn't learn as much as I hoped, due to some strange good RNG, like a decent mutagenic quarterstaff off the floor before lair and my first oka gift being a randart storm dragon scales.

Still, from my other attempts, I "learnt" three other things.

Ogres have a pretty lovely start, and that isn't all that different from how it was before. No 1 & 2 culprits were adders and orc wizards confusing me. While the latter are just par for the course, the adders are the real dicks and it's quite possible there was no smart choice available on D:2, either before or during the fight. They suck. Rather than bump them down, why not nerf their EV from 15 to 10 so they can still poison you to death for a stupid action, but also make it probable that you actually survive that first encounter if you do everything right? And yes, I don't know much I'm just being bitter.

The negative apts m&f really don't help much with their rough start though it is nice when your spells actually come along at a reasonable time frame. Giving them +1 apt might be a big help as was mentioned in several places, but as an avenue for my own further investigation, my only successful Ogre - in addition to stupid luck- also went into fighting very heavily, thoroughly neglecting mindelay till around 8 or 10 fighting. Being a Warper was also a nasty way to spread my exp thin, otherwise... But I expect weapon focused Ogre will have a fairly lovely time. I've overcome mediocre apts with other combos, but large does come with enough drawbacks I'm skeptical of how much fun I'll have.

I will need to get a few more games under way, a Warper with the afore mentioned Fighting/translocations only focus, and a more varied class sample. I also need to think up what might actually be a fun reason to play them, it's not like I haven't played enough to burn out. I'm also going to more highly value gods like fedhas who can actually do something about keeping you alive.

Finally, gently caress adders. They really don't feel like belong on D:2 as is- can't run, can't hit, can't cure, can maybe close a door, can't even throw crap stones at them with any real potential, they're just a die roll to death. Other than letting their EV I do have one stupid idea in the name of "realism" - snakes aren't that fast except when they strike. Make them slow and reaching like turtles instead, introducing the mechanic somewhere before shoals.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Look at all these pussies, complaining that their crutches are gone. Why I've sucked at this game for over a decade and you don't see me winning.

Giving up on trolling for a moment: I'd rather have the gods be the crutches a player relies upon to win, or in the case of Chei and Qazlal, the awesome death trap. I think the gods (and evocables) have come a long way towards this happening, though a lot of work remains. In particular, I'm currently impressed with the new Sif Muna and pleased by the overall older piety reform. much more fun to have sincerely interesting gods acting as renewable consumables. Of course some gods are good without this really being part of their design, throwing off my armchair quarterbacking. For instance, ashenzari doesn't really provide any lifesaving unless you count taking your hand off of 'o' to scry occasionally instead of automatically running into deathtraps, which may be a bit easier to spot in tiles.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Many of my wins are actually with Cheibriados aside from that lovely initial period when you find an altar on D:2 and don't have any good tools to help out survive Grinder... Chei is good even outside of speedruns.

Putting aside race/class combos and skilling choices, I can honestly say most people I've spectated have no clue how to properly play Cheibriados characters, though that usually doesn't extend to anyone who's managed to win once. There is more than one way to go about it, but overlooking TD is probably the biggest offender.

Malmutation ideas:
  • Tab Addiction.
  • Reckless: Lowers health warning
  • Disco/LSDrobin theming.
  • Tavernitis
  • Awfulitis: like shoutitis, but with more stylish Nazi references: first they came for the mountain dwarves, but I did not speak up...
  • Accursed: runs into more legendary player ghosts.
  • Poor vision: no warning when a distortion weapon comes into view.
  • Clownitis: randomized player color and weapon brand.
  • Thin skin: character automatically mesmerized by trolls, add more trolls.
  • Luddite: slowly reverts gameplay to older versions, seeing wands that don't exist.
  • White Knight will take blows for all allies like guardian golems or so spirit weapons. May overheat and explode.
  • Hypothetical optimal man: name changes to meow, may restart floor every time you gain the wrong stat.
  • troll: nothing seems different from your average roguelike player. Is this so supposed to do anything?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Whaleporn posted:

Call me cynical but long before I even grabbed my first rune I saw people saying endgame was a slog and I still see it as the game gets harder and harder as exp is squeezed out, important tools are removed entirely because everyone uses them, and new stronger monsters are overwriting pushovers (shrikes, juggs, iron giants, vault guard variants, naga sharpshooters all examples). I asked if people were winning too many games because it seems that the trend is to remove things that give players strong options rather then trying to design them in a way that they are situational. Sometimes to the detriment of what I thought was part of crawl's core gameplay: learning what was ahead, adjusting gear and coming up with a plan, executing your enemies, and doing so in an efficient manner because the unexpected happens sometimes and your real health is your consumable reserve.

I might be wrong with regards to recent branch compressions, but with earlier shortenings I believe they scaled exp gain up to compensate. I'm not really feeling a difference in experience with my guys who manage to reach three runes, but I do feel it for sure on some of the slower leveling races. I will definitely agree with your point about monster variety adding more difficulty, but I've been playing a bit too long to give a proper perspective on that chunk of balance. I've found my depths splats decreasing since they were introduced till today, I've found my level of fatality in the vaults more or less staying steady after wardens and sentinels were added till today. Currently, I'm finding the most recent spike in fatalities is early game, I'm not quite adjusted to the new pace there. Lair can be a bit nasty since I've been seeing less chaff to ease me in.

I had a pretty large gap of play between 0.18 to 0.19, and did absolutely poo poo during the tournament, though roped in a few wins afterwards. In other words, I really can't even authoritatively state my own opinion on the difficulty curve, let alone hypothetical newbie man. I will note that several games I've played I've found myself in situations that would have gone so much smoother with a few wands that I tossed aside in favor of rods. The current (0.19, not trunk) wands are at the very least OK, and a little bit more potent than I give them credit for. That won't help me from hating Lightning wands with a vengeance however..

From the discussions I've had, I haven't gotten the impression that people were seeing the endgame as a slog, though obviously people can have other opinions. Is there any chance they were talking about Extended and not endgame? If you're certain it's the endgame, then I think I need to sit down and reread some posts before I say anything more.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Putting aside the real concern of undead races and silent specters, which I don't have anything worth saying, I have a different perspective on those three wands.

Heal wounds wands has definitely saved a good portion of my games where the potions have run out and the RNG hasn't been all that generous. I don't feel a 10% increase in weighting honestly makes all that big a difference - I'll be feeling the shortage although ambrosia sometimes helps close the gap, especially since I haven't had anything near a shortage of !curing. A 10% increase in the weighting for potions of heal wounds isn't really going to make the difference, although I have had some games where they've been common enough I've considered using them to open up a trove (only with a wand of heal wounds to hand of course).

I feel wands of hasting are pretty trash. Putting aside my idiotic splats, I've had enough potions for 3-6 rune games and more ran out of the patience for hell before I ran out of consumable potions.

Wands of Teleportation? I put some value on that, but I'd rather see some kind of teleportation gadget that charges with experience introduced, if someone could come up with an interesting design. Not an old ring of teleportation or controlled teleport, but something less spammable and less reliable. It'd be somewhere on the power level of passage of golubria, though with a different balance and function.

As a counterpoint to 'the game is hard enough' argument I'd state that many roguelikes all have 'limited resources' as a core concept, and these three wands can all change me from feeling miserly to spendthrift. I'm fine with the 'feeling overpowered or awesome argument', but I'd rather waste time arguing about the balance and difficulty of other parts of the game than relying on these three wands remaining in the game to get over the hump. Give me some more awesome gadgets and a replacement for that piece of poo poo wand of lightning even if some other people like it.

Edit: Keeping those three wands in the game feels to me (even though it is not what you're saying) like you're arguing that it's better that the game has balance issues if they're randomly solved in every other game based on a rare loot. I'd rather have success be less arbitrary, even if the game was made easier in other aspects.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 22, 2016

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

silentsnack posted:

Specifically regarding player reactions, even especially when all you hear is salty whitenoise
Wow! It's like people don't have differing opinions on these issues! :salt:

quote:

I'll skip the wall of text and go straight to the tldr: maybe you should consider learning a social skill or just let someone else do the talking.

Clearly, Something Awful is most the amiable of places, well known for hospitality. I don't expect SA to start coddling developers, or we wouldn't have memorable threads game threads like "The Demon Rush" and Cherry Venus, but I'm not under any delusion that we're the easiest group to get along with.

quote:

In a lot of cases the message is: the current state of discourse between crawl's community (such that it is) and the developers is... not exactly ideal.

True enough, but I can think of a shitload of games with worse community relations, and this doesn't have a singular person at the helm projecting their sole vision.

Nethack.org posted:

As a rule, the DevTeam does not volunteer information or comment on our plans or schedules. However, at this time we'd like to make an exception to that rule and provide a brief update on what's been happening:
As just about everybody knows, an incident occurred about six months ago with respect to an unauthorized distribution of the NetHack source code in a very unfinished state. Since then, the team has been working on several initiatives. Despite a lot of opinions to the contrary, we aren't dead and we haven't given up on the game.

Honestly, I feel there are too many communication channels on the game development, but previous attempts to streamline communication like the devwiki didn't really turn out to be everything hoped for.

Could we please get back to bitching about Ogres and wands, please?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

True enough, Internet Kraken.

Putting aside some assumptions of my own, any ideas if there are any planned changes related to the the whole wand changes other than consumable spawn rate and changes to those who can't quaff potions? I.E. Any new wands (or rebalancing the power of remaining ones) or gadgets incoming to fill the void? Or are they just getting pulled and balanced around the removal?

Since I'm actually back in the game and not feeling burnt out anymore (1000+ ogres and failed tournaments will do that), I suppose I might get back onto the mailing list or at least read the development plan.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

If the Orcish Mines spawn with more than one food shop, they have a chance of being replaced with the halfling warrens, a more range oriented variant, with halfling assassins that can shadow step next to you if you stand still for two turns. Their warpers are low level, however, with blink (cool down) and portal projectile on a tomahawk variant or lesser beckoning and shroud on the sword and board variant. There are, unfortunately slinger variants, but fortunately a lot of corridors. The final vault is a bit nasty, opening up into a dining hall with shrub-rating tables that only block movement but not lines of fire.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I dunno, from my (limited) experience with stealthy stabbers summons can be as much a support as invisibility, and better than Shroud of Golubria at preserving your health.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Just lost a pretty awesome Cheibriados ghoul in hell thanks to underestimating Ereshkigal.
https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/LordSloth/morgue-LordSloth-20161224-211839.txt

I haven't had many undead in hell, so I didn't think of the fact that she had silence... and a poo poo ton of tzitzimitl with nothing better to do than cast Dispel Undead. Went down crazily fast.
Another scary moment in Dis: An iron giant comes into view. It is wielding a dire flail of holy wrath. The iron giant hits you with a dire flail of holy wrath!!! You convulse!!!

pre:
Health: -13/260    AC: 48    Str: 39    XL:     27
Magic:  38/38      EV: 22    Int: 30    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   4296       SH:  8    Dex: 30    Spells: 12 memorised, 2 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +      - Unarmed
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    T - +8 gold dragon scales
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    (no shield)
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    z - +2 helmet {Int+3}
rElec  .          Reflect  +    f - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  +          Harm     .    k - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+5}
MR     +++..                    t - +0 pair of boots of Elyvilon's Pride {rCorr Int+2}
Stlth  +.........               o - brooch of Shielding {Reflect SH+8}
                                G - ring of see invisible
                                X - ring of Zaph {AC+3 Slay+5}

b - the +1 arbalest "Seggoirgh" {elec, rF+ rC+}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Pits of Slime)   
 c - the +6 arbalest "Damnation" {damnation}
   (You found it in a treasure trove)
 e - the +4 staff of Dispater
   (You took it off Dispater on level 7 of the Iron City of Dis)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Speleothing posted:

That's just getting yourself behind on the XP curve, which is even deadlier for casters.

Nope! The food clock is usually so lax (piety might be the more important timer), you can go back and clear it later, as I usually do with level annotations.

In particular I often take stealth to three skill before turning it off about half the time. Even if you kill everything, getting to choose to attack from a more advantageous range is nice, either by luring with shouting, taking another approach, or just clearing trash from adjacent rooms first.

Of course I often also just ignore stealth depending on what kind of caster I'm playing... But to the poster who mentioned fighter starts and AC- try a Draconian, you might be pleased.

For clarity's sake, I almost never play wizard, one of the most highly recommend starts and they definitely have more skills to train and a very noisy fart cloud.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 26, 2016

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Playing an ogre summoner (warper secondary) over on cbro trunk, nearly died to caustic shrikes at 2:50 in the morning. Lucky survival, saving it and calling it a night.
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/LordSloth/LordSloth.txt
    Highlights:
  • +10 giant club of flaming I will not be using
  • +18 shield of the Gong {rElec rN+ MR+ EV-5}, which I grabbed off an orc priest on D:7
  • +3 hat of Pondering {ponderous, MR+ MP+10 Int+5}, because of course gong isn't enough.
  • brooch of Shielding {Reflect SH+8}, what else could I wear when I've got the Gong?
  • +5 demon whip of electrocution, b - the +6 shillelagh "Devastator" {shatter} (salts), c - the +7 eveningstar "Ympagow" {antimagic, MP+9 Str+3 Dex+6} (random tengu in the depths), d - a +5 sacred scourge of holy wrath (Mennas, surprisingly tough)
  • +18 gold dragon scales of Beauty (worn) {rPois rF+ rC+ MR+}, taken off a different random tengu

I will most certainly splat this puppy in amazing fashion - but first, I'm gonna sleep.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

it's kind of underwhelming, the damage just isn't that good

Yeah, it can't compare to a battle-axe. It is a one-hander with 8 base damage. The explosion only seems to happen when I deal damage, and since my skill is around 14...

The explosion scales with melee damage done, so it actually does a great job clearing chaff, especially evasive monsters, as long as you aim for the weak.

On the other hand, this also means you'll see better explosion damage on a dedicated fighter. If you're playing a non-Beogh Orc or a deep dwarf, it's worth a shot.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

http://crawl.berotato.org:8080/#watch-LordSloth

I've decided I won't enjoy Extended even if I can. Going for the orb of zot with glorious shield gong, hat of pondering, and the best armor i've seen in forever.

Edit: Ascension complete. Gong 100%. Ponderous 100%. Runes? Meh %.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

kaaj posted:

gently caress Shoals.

I'm a really bad player and I only managed to find like 5 runes (in over 300 games), so when I lost my last char with a rune to a loving snapping turtle in Shaols, I almost smashed the keyboard.

(well, to be honest, I lost the char because I've been too greedy, but let's just blame it on the turtle)

Speaking about that - I somehow managed to find 2 runes in this run - Spider & Shoals. As I've been that far only once, I'm not really sure what to do next to not gently caress it up. I'm aiming for the easiest possible third rune and ideally looking for some advices as I've got no clue what to do now: http://underhound.eu:81/crawl/morgue/zeroDi/zeroDi.txt

Of course, I'm sure that I'll die as soon as I'll start playing tomorrow, but let's just pretend this won't happen.

Could anybody provide me with some advices what to do next? Basically:

- I'm playing as a Vine Stalker Assassin of Okawaru.
- I cleared dungeon to (& including) D:15
- I cleared Spider & Shoals (grabbing runes)
- Cleared Orc, went to the first level of Elf, but noped my way quite quickly from that place, it looked quite hard.

I guess the highlight of my current run is +3 warlock's mirror {reflect} (found just now, but I've been running +3 buckler of reflection before that) and +6 amulet of reflection - not sure how good those two really are but I've seen quite a few projectiles reflected back to whoever was shooting them, especially in Shoals.

I'm fighting with +2 rapier (elec), swapping to +3 rapier of Venom as I didn't see anything which I could use which would be better (and I only found those rapiers on the last floor of Shoals). Should I cross-train in that case?

I don't really know how things work, besides some random guides which I've seen online, so any advices how not to die will be appreciated.

Pop into the discord chatroom sometime. It's a bit slow after xmas ,but there are still a few people happy to spectate without the excessive amount of offtopic you get with pubbies.
    Quick thoughts
  • You've got an unknown rod on lair:2 that's worth checking out. There's a few that are nice, but if you're lucky, it'll turn out to be a rod of shadows. The rod of shadows will help provide opportunities for distraction stabs when you run into something immune to curare, paralysis needles, and magic immune - namely Zot.
  • Dig and Disintegrate will be exceptionally useful wands, for the occasional murderhole. Murderholes are nowhere near as crucial as they are for the formicids I'm so fond of playing, but the supplementary antimagic bite will make the elven halls and quite a few other places a lot safer when only one enemy can spot you at a time. Of course, Deep Elf Blademasters and Deep Elf Elementalists can still horribly wreck your day without much effort, so while I'd rush the Elven Halls and likely splat, I won't recommend it to you.
  • Can't really efficently skim your dump compared to the in-game search, but I'd probably run with the +2 leather armour "Gizxihum" {rC++}. Or sword and board heavy armor, but I'll touch on that a bit later, and maybe in chat.
  • Like resistentialism I'd probably lean towards Vaults:1-4, and all of Crypts (though the undead would negate your blowgun) with some precaution. If your MR wasn't solid, I'd have nervously ventured into Depths, but fortunately, you should have an okay chance of shaking off Sentinel Marks.
  • Crosstraining: "40% of the skill points (not levels!) in any weapon skill is used to boost the cross-trained skill for free. It still sets you back significantly and probably isn't worth it unless a really good sword shows up, or a demon blade/double sword you can turn into a good sword. You'll naturally start running into hell knights later on, and the Hall of Blades on Elf:2 guarantees two rare weapons (which may not be what you need). Your bite also ends up providing a significant source of damage, so as things stand at the moment I'd rather stick with the rapier of electrocution and a carefully hoarded stockpile of might & haste (or Finesse, depending on whether you think you'll need to run or just win quickly) potions for important fights, berserk pots/amulets for tough generic fights, and invisibility for everything you can outright stab to death. I've taken quite a few stabber starts into larger sword & board ... it's viable, especially with Okawaru, but I'm inclined to start pumping dodging and stealth until maybe 12 or so and go with a lighter armor.
  • If you go light, I'd pay more attention to evocables - namely bags of spiders and rods and the amulet of rage as a possible swap. If you go heavy, I'd pay more attention to those javelins lying around in Shoals. There are not as many special ones as I'd hoped, but the javelins of returning are in a large enough stack to be usable. I'd also pray for Okawaru to gift me more than two javelins of penetration.

• Locked thread