Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

What the gently caress am I looking at

Tales of Game’s Studios Presents Chef Boyardee’s Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

Although I'm pretty sure that description was ripped straight from Dungeon Crawl without any modifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Akett posted:

Two turn/action time stop! Level 9 Enchantments/Hexes spell. Perhaps make it exhaust you after you use it or hurt you if you cast it too many times in quick succession, say it's because you start to feel the weight of the world as you use it more. Though there's already kind of an upper limit in place on how much you can cast it just on sheer mana cost, even with ways to refill it. Mostly gimmicky.

Just for reference, look at the Serpent's Lash ability for WJC.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Survey for the first batch of feature requests is located here:
https://goo.gl/forms/dUNVjwRSWNHMQvvi2

Posting this again for this page in case anyone missed it yesterday. The more responses, the better!

I'll likely get around to closing the survey and compiling results around Christmas Eve, although I might close it earlier if responses stop coming in. After that, I'll put together the to-do list on the Project page on GitHub for any simple features that will go into Gooncrawl v1.0 (to get something out the door). Complex approved features will have design discussion pages created on the wiki, and will get added to the to-do list once a final design is decided upon.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

gently caress, forgot to turn the survey off at 27 responses, the whole project's ruined :negative:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

There's more than 27 questions so the whole thing was rotten from the start

You're right, we probably should have actually been thinking about how to pare Crawl down to 27 total features.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Worthleast posted:

Floodkiller, if you're still taking requests, I would like a timed Wizlab to spawn every game. They're great content.

I will always take feature requests and put them in the next polls, I just had to draw the line somewhere right now to start to get the ball rolling. I'll update the wiki page with everything I missed once I have the time to do so (currently driving home for the holidays and beat from driving all day).

I'll probably get around to closing the current poll and compiling results sometime around Christmas Eve as well, so get your votes in if you haven't already!

E: Plugging the link again: https://goo.gl/forms/dUNVjwRSWNHMQvvi2
E2: If you know any other goons who play Crawl but don't frequent the thread, let them know about the poll as well!

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 23, 2017

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Last reminder to vote in the (current) Gooncrawl feature pool:
https://goo.gl/forms/dUNVjwRSWNHMQvvi2
I'm closing it tomorrow morning to compile results. Get your vote in if you want a stake in the outcome!

I'm also going through to get all the feature requests added to the wiki, so let me know if I miss anything! As it turns out, GitHub doesn't have any setting for wiki contributor permissions between "has commit access to the code" and "anyone with a GitHub account", so it's easier to just do it myself at the moment to avoid any potential vandalism to either the wiki or the codebase. In the future, I'm probably going to need help from a couple trusted volunteers to keep up with them (especially once the crowdsourced design discussion starts kicking in for complex features). However, I'm not going to ask for it until I at least have an initial version out for proof that Gooncrawl actually exists and is worth volunteering for.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Survey is closed! I'm compiling the results now, and I'll post the review when it's ready.

In the meantime, instead of immediately starting another survey to ask, I'm going to assume everybody:
-wants the new Zombiehands spell in Gooncrawl
-doesn't want Control Undead or Cigotuvi's Embrace removed

Please post let me know if your opinion is different. In the future, I'll be merging all bug fixes, UI improvements, and minor additions (like new vaults) automatically. For new features/major feature changes (including vault changes like Tomb stairs)/feature removals, I'll be holding off on merging until they pass a poll.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Finally finished the survey compilation and analysis. I am glad Google Forms exists, because otherwise this would have been even more of a pain in the rear end:
Survey Results:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rwo9hdgEL3SPr1zC9cJH9KxhPpNCxTKkTVAG-njr7I8/edit?usp=drivesdk
Survey Data (names and comments purged to avoid any name and blame):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hBhd6CLgu5pNpbN91r11rb3njQTEafvDICR_WGA7r7c/edit?usp=drivesdk

Please feel free to tell me off if you feel I'm interpreting anything wrong, as well as start discussion. I'll get to posting the relevant comments on the wiki tonight or tomorrow morning, as well as draft up the 1.0 design doc to start working on stuff.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm at home for Christmas, but I want to make a statement I want to substantiate when I get home and can make an effort part:

Features should not be voted on explicitly. The great majority of the community has no idea how to craft a cohesive experience. Polls like the one flood made are really useful for getting an idea of what the community values, but should not serve as an explicit guideline.

A direction, goals and values should be discussed as a community, but individual features should be chosen by a, or a group of system designers.

PMush Perfect posted:

This is a good point. Design by committee has some serious pitfalls. With reversions, at least, what people want is a pretty simple decision, but when it comes to additions and changes, we may have to, essentially, elect a team whose judgment we trust.

Edit: Obvious obligatory nomination for Floodkiller as Project Coordinator.

I haven't got the time right now to respond to all the feedback, but I will respond to these:

Part of why I wanted to start a Gooncrawl fork was explicitly to create a "design by committee" branch, seeing as the most common complaint provided by the thread has been the feeling that their input is ignored in favor of following good design. I felt it would be good to pull away from the constant negativity cycle by giving everyone an equal voice in developing something (even if they end up outnumbered in the end, see item destruction), as well as give myself more practice with C++. Sure, it might turn into a poorly mismanaged mess when it reaches the point where nobody can agree on anything, but that's half the fun!

I'm not terribly interested in crafting a cohesive experience myself, because I feel that's what DCSS already does. In fact, electing me to be the sole designer would be a terrible thing. My ideal Crawl is likely very close to DCSS or Hellcrawl minus a couple sacred cows like Malmutate and a few unfinished designs/reworks still lying about. Most of what the thread majority voted for is stuff I don't care about or feel the opposite. There's a good reason I've been very explicit in separating myself from the design voting/process (aside from Malmutate), as I don't think my vision actually lines up with the thread.

If the thread wants to elect their own design team or some other curation method further down the line (at least wait for v1.0 to come out) for managing proposals and designs, I'm all for it as long as (the majority of) everyone wants to do it. I just want to code it and watch whether the train ends up in the station ahead of schedule or in a 50 traincar pileup.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I started to go through the comments on the survey this morning, but I got bored and wanted to start coding instead. So, here's my Gooncrawl v1.0 design doc based on the survey results:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sj8Y9qL8MRBtQhirnl3oQ4tH1-JU2Ir410jH2BedcH8/edit?usp=drivesdk

I'm going to get everything on the first page in before I call a release. For the second page, I'm looking at:
-Recharging just gives charges at the same tiers it did before, who cares about wand caps
-Just scarves for felids (scarves are fashionable, but cloaks look heavy)
-Put boulder beetles and sheep exactly where they used to be to make it easy.
-Looking at giving boulder beetles poison resistance/immunity so they aren't a complete joke anymore (just mostly a joke).
Let me know if any of that sounds awful, and I'll reconsider.

Some stuff on the last page can probably make it in before v1.0 after I look into it (hammers, Hell effect rework) while others either need more work or more design to fix conflicts with current Crawl. They might be held off for the next version, as I would really prefer to get a stable base first over making sure everything approved gets in immediately.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Of course, if the goons think there should be a strong healing spell in gooncrawl, then that's another matter.

I mean, we are already putting wand of heal wounds, recharging scrolls, and Pakellas (once the abilities are reworked to fit with wand stacking) back in :v:

If anyone wants to follow the fork commit log as I work, it's located here. Otherwise, progress so far:
  • The purple is back
  • You can ZOMBIEHANDS while still charming and embracing corpses if that's your thing I guess
  • Ogres like big sticks again
  • You can now be permanently tormented again if you are lucky (the crown might need something else attached to it to make it more interesting, but that's for later)
  • Dragons love it when you call them over with a big dragony roar (the spell doesn't say it is being boosted because I haven't fixed that part yet, but it is)
  • Local pharaoh removes hatches to reinstall stairs, in response to union demands for easier inter-floor movement. "I kept the treasure room doors in the hallway, though. Those were actually pretty convenient." Disabled Mummies of the Crypt and Tomb (DMCT) has filed a civil suit with the pharaoh for removing handicapped access.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl update:
  • You can drop long lasting fart clouds all over monsters again (it's in book of Clouds and book of Envenomations, the latter of which I brought back as well to make room for more poison spells)
  • High elves are back through the power of Tolkien
  • Surfs up for Norris (who was actually a giant pain in the rear end to bring back properly, surprisingly)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Really? Why?

There was a bunch of back-end changes since he was removed that I kept missing, so it was a lot of compiling crashes. I eventually took a shortcut and gave him Donald's weapon set because I got sick of it and wanted to move on. He's still got the buckler though.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

How does Ozo's refrigeration compare to Freezing Cloud for AoE ice spells? I know Freezing cloud is amazing but I've never used Ozo's

Ozo's is usually only better if you are trying to hit the entire screen, in which case you are either fighting popcorn or should probably be running away. Ozo's also keeps taking MP and your turn to cast, compared to Freezing Cloud which you lay down once for damage over multiple turns plus being able to use other spells/attacks/movement while doing so.

On a different note, Phase Shift is being a bitch to re-implement compared to Poisonous Cloud. Both reversion attempts, something being changed in the combat code keeps CTDing the game while trying to move after casting Phase Shift. I'll probably try implementing it as a new spell (instead of re-enabling the old one) and see if it crashes then. If it does, I'll probably just put that feature on the back burner for a later time.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl progress update:
  • Felids can now wear hats and scarves, but they probably will resent you for making them. I still need to fix Ashenzari not tracking the new slots properly for overall bound status (it still tracks the individual sections properly), so I currently just left it so that cursing all your jewelry slots will fully bind you.
  • Octopodes can now wear helmets, massively throwing off the balance of the species!!!
  • Added a new spell called Avoidance, which is totally not just Phase Shift with a different name. Which I then renamed back to Phase Shift.

Downside: No paperdoll support for felid equipment, and the current paperdoll helmets don't work too well for octopodes. I'm not good at art/tiles so fixing that is going to be on the back burner. However, if some got made by a generous goon tile maker I'll look into how to add them. Also throwing out the request for a replacement title logo while I'm at it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Ramc posted:

Is there a link to goon crawl yet?

If you know how to use Git and want to grab the work in progress:
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/tree/gooncrawl

Otherwise, I'll wait until I finish most/all of the features on the design doc and finalize a v1.0 before contacting johnstein (CBRO) and/or other server ops to ask if it can get hosted.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Repeating my legitimate request to please add yourself as a unique.

Added it to the FR list to get voted on at a future point, since I don't really have a design on hand even if everyone wants it.

If you and the rest of the thread do want me to add something personal (aside from Malmutate changes), I do have a different stupid unique that I can throw in. I'll even keep it secret (unless you read the commit log) if you want.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

• Sludge Elves are back to do whatever it is they do (eat tar?)
  • Yred re-opens the recruitment office for the army of the dead
  • Zin is now allowing access an exclusive membership tier for new suckersmembers!

It may be a couple days before the next update, depending on driving fatigue.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

There was a recent patch on mainline Crawl to randomize food tiles for rations (which are currently the only permafood type). Since this is related to the "re-implement pizza" feature on the Gooncrawl v1.0 design doc and I won't have time for development today anyway, I figured out a couple ways to fulfill this and set up a runoff poll here:
https://goo.gl/forms/GMe31x8ZjvOegBRp2

This will be a short poll (I will likely close this either tomorrow morning or afternoon depending on when I get around to it), so please get your votes in if you care about pizza!

I'm also going to look into moving most of the current wiki information into the repository to free up the wiki permissions to everyone for design brainstorming and discussion.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

My response to the pizza poll:

Off hand suggestion: Axe the regeneration spell and replace it with pizza as a common consumable that drops rarely from intelligent monsters. If you eat the fabled Pandemonium Pizza, you get extra strong regen. Demons in Pan have a higher chance of carrying Pandemonium Pizza. Or, more realistically, pizza has a "from pan" flag, and if it has that flag, it's more likely to be pandemonium pizza.

One problem with the polling system is that if someone has an interesting suggestion they don't post in the thread, that suggestion can't be voted on. I'm not saying my suggestion is the one true solution to the pizza problem, but I think it's an interesting offhand idea and there are probably some other good ideas as well that can't be fairly considered if everyone has to vote before they can read them. Of course, we could always revise pizza later, but then we're playing feature ping-pong.

I do recognize the issue with polls in that regard (especially short term ones), but throwing in a write-in vote+comments with the encouragement to communicate your vote in the thread if you want to see it happen is the best solution I have to a runoff poll for votes demanding details past "Do this thing". Editing after voting is still enabled (and I just go through and grab the latest vote if someone accidentally votes twice). I figured pizza is a small enough feature to test how feasible this is before getting into more complex FRs like Pakellas re-implementation, but I can always pull it out of the immediate implementation section of the design doc if there's too much kickback about it.

If it needs to get more expansive than just polling and the planned wiki discussions, I'd likely need someone else to handle the opinion/FR/design gathering aspect for me so I can focus on coding stuff. However, I don't want to ask for that until an initial release is out (thus why I also haven't started another FR poll yet).

At the very least, working on this has given me an appreciation for anyone whose job involves canvassing and polling :v:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Posting the pizza survey again, I'm looking at closing it tomorrow afternoon (unless voting is super shallow, in which case I'll keep the survey open longer but potentially kick pizza to the next release):
https://goo.gl/forms/GMe31x8ZjvOegBRp2

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

When pizza comes back will we also see the return of the vault with four turtles, a rat, and a bunch of pizza

If you can find the name of the vault, then I can probably do this regardless of the outcome of the vote.

Edit: I moved all the important wiki documents into the repository (under docs/gooncrawl). This lets me open the wiki for public editing; all you need to do to edit is make a GitHub account. I made a bunch of design pages for stuff that was on the survey, but feel free to add your own pages as well (create a page first, then add a link to it under the Designs subsection by editing the sidebar).

Please be respectful and don't get into an edit war over an opinion/idea you dislike (just leave a comment under the opinion/idea about your feedback). If it devolves into vandalism I'll have to look into a wiki solution elsewhere that provides better security/permissions tools, but I would prefer not to have to spend the time to do so at the moment.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 31, 2017

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Unfortunately I don't think snapping turtles are appropriate enemies for sewers because that would be the ideal

Take a look at how the sewer with the weakened siren works; might be a 1:1 with how to modify the snapping turtles.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Closed the survey (a little later than I was going to because I got distracted), results are here with identifying info purged:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MjOdcjtzHR42tiRVyscJdv4ul-OoUXZkHuxHpbhzmc4/edit?usp=sharing

After counting the runoffs (a couple votes didn't follow runoff style voting, but it didn't affect the end result), it looks like the "Random food tiles with chance for pizza flavor" was the winner, with a solid first round that kept growing after getting most of the second choice votes of each one eliminated. I'll throw the fruit flavors into the mix as well while I'm at it (as a couple people suggested). Let me know if anyone would prefer something changed about how these "feature details" polls are delivered in the future (I will be keeping future polls on more complex features open for longer than this one).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

• Recharging is back to be hoarded for the good wandsto recharge wands to your heart's content.
  • Rations will now give a random food flavor when eaten. Pick out the good stuff like the pizza and fruit and throw the rest of the ration away; nobody likes the veggie omelette ration packs anyway.

Stuff left that I still want to get done before v1.0:
  • Re-add wands of haste/heal wounds/teleportation
  • Re-add Singularity
  • Re-add potions of restore abilities
  • Re-add book amnesia
  • Add Jiyva to temple gods
  • Re-add sheep and boulder beetles (dream sheep still have the baleful baaas and sticky flame interaction, so I just need to make sure it applies to both types of sheep)

Other stuff on the to-do list that may or may not get done before v1.0:
  • Re-add rods (still need to figure out what to do with the rods converted to wands, as well as how to bring them back)
  • Re-add Pakellas (still needs design fixing due to stacked wands and how rods are reimplemented)
  • Rework or remove Malmutate from monster spell lists (I've got an idea for neqoxecs/cacodemons/orbs of fire, but I still need a good plan for shining eyes)
  • Implement Hellcrawl permanent buff system (hellmonk left details about the system on the wiki, so I just need a design for the scope of what spells are affected/how the spell is changed to fit the system)
  • Rework Hell effects (I still need to look into what regret-index previously created)
  • Implement Virulence spell (still need spell level/power cap/spell schools, whether the effect is only -rPois or -all reisistances)
  • Re-add hammers for Crazy Yiuf (again, this one is probably simple but I just need to look into how complex adding a weapon type is)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Hellcrawl has its own GitHub, you probably don't need to :thunk: at his system notes on the wiki then write it yourself

I know it has it's own GitHub, but I mainly needed to look into it and find if there were any underlying changes (like optimizations or bug fixes) in the original DCSS repo from when Hellcrawl forked in the related systems. However, from the sound of what hellmonk described, it shouldn't be too hard to pull over so I just need to know what spells specifically need to get changed.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

• You can tear up books again to perform a self-lobotomy.
  • I broke everything trying to put the three yellow wands back in, so I'm still troubleshooting all the issues until things stop crashing.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Wands of hasting are now working! Wands of teleportation are still buggy (currently can only Teleport Other, so I need to put in a logic fix somewhere), wands of heal wounds are still wands of CTD.

E:VVV I already opened a pull request for it, it's just sitting until after the tournament due to feature freeze.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 2, 2018

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Wands of hasting are now working! Wands of teleportation are still buggy (currently can only Teleport Other, so I need to put in a logic fix somewhere), wands of heal wounds are still wands of CTD.

Okay, I'm a garbage coder because I've been stumped on getting tele and heal wounds wands back in and working. This is partly due to the back-end for wands being revamped since the wands were removed, which is leading to a collision somewhere in the monster wand use code (which didn't go away even after I stopped allowing monsters to use them and reworked the code to only work for players). I have no clue why hasting works perfectly fine and the others don't. If someone else wants to take a look at trying to re-add them, feel free since I don't want to waste more time on it at the moment. Instead, I'm just going to cheat and bring them back as xp-evokers with a little extra thrown in:
  • Wands of teleportation become shards of Zot, which you can evoke to teleport yourself in addition to attempting to Teleport Other every other monster in sight (power scales based on your Evocations). Comes with top-tier quality tiles.
  • I still need to think of something for wand of heal wounds. Simple one might just be a single evo-scaled heal but I'm wondering if that's potentially too much available healing, even compared to heal wounds+recharging. Another could be making it a large heal that also lethally poisons (reducing the amount of poisoning by evo)? Feel free to toss out ideas.
I'll put a wand of heal wounds evocable together tomorrow after work. However, if nobody likes this idea I can take them back out and just leave fixing wands of heal wound/teleportation for a later version (or wait until a PR comes in for it).

E:VVV I'll keep hasting a wand at the moment, since that one is already re-implemented and working (although it can get changed sometime after v1.0).

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 3, 2018

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

To Floodkiller or anyone else who regularly messes with the source code -- how do you deal with merging changes from Git? I followed the guide for Crawl I found somewhere to use git stash apply, which was okay before, but the recent updates must have changed over a hundred files and I'll tear my hair out if I have to go through every single one of them to fix conflicts.

This might be more than what you are asking for, but:

1) Set up a forked repository of Crawl on GitHub (click the fork button in the top right while logged in).
2) Clone your forked repository onto your local computer (not the main repository).
code:
git clone git://GitHub.com/<username>/crawl.git
By default, this will dump it in a 'crawl' folder wherever you are running your git command prompt from.
3) Set up a remote for whatever program you are using for Git: https://help.github.com/articles/configuring-a-remote-for-a-fork/ (origin points to your fork's main url, upstream points to the main Crawl repository's url; make additional remotes for any other repositories you care about, like Gooncrawl or Hellcrawl). Never modify the main (base) development branches for these remotes (master for mainline Crawl).
4) To update these branches to the latest version on your fork (going to be using mainline Crawl for these examples) :
code:
git fetch upstream
git checkout master
git merge upstream/master
git push origin master
This will update the upstream, then merge the upstream's base branch on your fork's base branch. Then, you push the changes to your fork's remote repository (origin). If multiple people are working on origin's (your) repository, fetch and pull that first to grab any missing branches or updates:
code:
git fetch origin
git checkout master
git pull origin master
5) When creating a new feature, make a sub branch based off of the branch you are developing for:
code:
git checkout master
git checkout -b new_spell
git push origin new_spell
The first line sets your baseline for the branch to be the base branch, then the second one creates the sub branch locally. The last line pushes the branch's existence to your remote repository.
6) Do all your dev work on this sub branch, and commit whenever you have finished a specific feature:
code:
git status
git commit -a
The first line checks which files were changed (good to check if you accidentally change/delete/add something), and the second line opens a commit message page to note what the commit will do.
6a) If something in your status was changed or deleted accidentally, do the following to reset it:
code:
git reset HEAD <filename>
git checkout .. <filename>
This will remove the change from your commit, then pull the latest version of the file from your branch. If something was accidentally added, you can just delete using the file explorer. If you do want to add a file to your commit:
code:
git add <filename>
6b) If multiple people are working on your sub-branch, do this before committing:
code:
git stash
git pull origin new_spell
git stash apply
This will stash your changes, pull the latest version of the sub-branch, then apply your changes back on top (although you may have to resolve conflicts). This will make sure you don't accidentally attempt to overwrite other commits.
6c) If there are any conflicts to resolve, open up the relevant files and search for "HEAD" or ">>>>>" to find the conflicts (you can type git status and look at the files that say "both modified" to find where to search) . Modify or delete all the lines that are out of date, as well as the conflict dividers.
7) If it is taking a while to develop your feature, you can update your sub-branch to match the latest version of the base branch by doing Step 4, then the following:
code:
git checkout new_spell
git merge origin master
If you have uncommitted changes, stash them first. You only need to do this if you think a recent update might screw with your code. Handle any conflicts like Step 6c.
8) After you have developed and tested your feature and are ready to either merge it with your own branch or open a pull request to the base branch, run Step 4 again for whatever branch you want your sub branch to be applied. Then, do the following while your sub branch is checked out:
code:
git rebase -i master
This will take the latest version of the base branch, then apply all of your commits from your sub-branch on top of it. The -i let's you pick specific actions to perform with your commits (like edit the commit messages, merge a commit into the one above it, exclude a commit, etc.) as well as what order to perform the commits if something is screwed up. Handle any conflicts like Step 6c.
9) Make a pull request for your branch to go into the base branch. I usually use GitHub's website to do this, but I'm sure you can do it through git as well. If it's going into one of your own branches on your fork, you can just merge it instead of creating a pull request.
10) After it has been merged, you are safe to delete the sub-branch on your local and remote repository if desired.

Unfortunately, conflicts are never fun to deal with (although it is sometimes easy when the conflict is just a single word difference). If your branch is about reverting a previous commit, you will likely have a bunch of conflicts based on the feature coming from older versions of those files. A big one is enum.h, which used to be a gigantic list but has been split into a bunch of smaller files; it's usually better to just reset that one and track down the correct <type>-data.h file to put the relevant line in. If there are too many conflicts to handle, it may be easier to just manually take your branch's changes (or the reverting commit's changes) and reapply them by hand to an updated branch.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

A yellow-class effect every 4 or 5 fights is completely busted.

A yellow-class effect every 4 or 5 floors is almost worthless.

Wands of Tele and HW are specifically strong because they can hold a lot of charges. Burst use of specifically HW is generally how that goes down and keeping a single HW potion that recharges every so often as an inventory slot is probably good enough to sit in your inventory, but it sure doesn't feel great. The extra problem is that as you get more of them, they get collectively better. If you have 10 HW evocables, your on-demand healing goes into the stratosphere in a very unhealthy way, and the fact that they recharge with time and/or XP means you'd never get rid of them, which puts the long-term resource management meta (which is about half the game) in jeopardy. It gets the bonus of taking up inventory slots, so on top of it being a pretty strong option to collect these evocables, it's also introducing tedious inventory micromanaging.

Just to note (you might have missed this change if you haven't played for a while), all xp recharging evokers share the same timer among the same type. For example, if you use a phial of floods, all phials in your inventory and the dungeon become inert. Once you get enough XP to charge one, all become available again. There is zero reason (currently, unless the thread wants me to implement a reason) to carry around more than one of any type of xp evoker, and you can't use any weird inventory/stash micromangement to get around it.

Additionally (thanks to a change that let the lightning rod evocable partially recharge and have a different recharge rate than other evokers), I can tweak the recharge rate of any type of xp evoker if it turns out to be too quick/too slow to recharge based on the strength/frequency of the effect.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Alright, think I came up with an XP evoker design for wand of heal wounds that fits the niche of what the wand was mostly for:

Stone of meditation: Evoke to give yourself the Meditate status. While Meditate is active, the user heals for 10 HP + (1*Evo) HP per turn. Meditate wears off when the user takes any action other than waiting, when the user is affected by translocational energy/banishment (voluntarily or involuntarily), when the user is afflicted with Confusion/Paralysis/Petrification, or when the user reaches full HP. Damage does not interrupt it. Does not cure rot.

Occupies your turn for healing (like zapping the wand each turn would). It still fills the "burst emergency healing" for teleporting (before or after) or after a tough fight in dangerous areas, without giving every player (instead of just Ely worshippers) large burst healing to use in combat all the time. Making it not cure rot, or rot might as well not exist (it already kinda doesn't, but even more so).

Let me know if you have a better/more preferred approach (or if you would rather that I just leave wand of heal wounds out of this release and put it in at a later time).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Shouldn't we be using the healing power of crystals to power our meditation instead of a generic stone? :v:

No IV bags to hold them.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

The name/flavor doesn't really work but the actual design is super solid. I like it.

Feel free to propose! I suck at flavor stuff unless it's about puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

MrDeSaussure posted:

Holy poo poo, what is wrong with this vault?
minmay_the_grid_octo_2x2

quote:

minmay_

• Locked thread