Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Serephina posted:

I, for one, am sad over the halfling hybrid nerf. Also what up with the two copies of Antaeus in the OP's pic?

Phantom Mirror! (The Drain icon in the top-right is a clue.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Prism posted:

I can manage most of them (including Kikubaaqudgha) but Hep eludes me for some reason. I think it's the qlk.

also, there isn't a qlk.

(it's Hepliaklqana. hep-li-ak-l-qanal, and then remove the l at the end for reasons that will become obvious.)

ki-ku-baa-qu-dg-ha - nice rhythm to this one - y-red-rem-nul, six-fir-hy, ne-qo-xec, lorocyproca... but that one's easy!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Prism posted:

See, I told you I couldn't spell Hep.

What's the origin of the name of the lorocyproca anyhow? I know a lot of them are just arbitrary; is that one of them?

i don't think anyone knows for sure, but "cat on keyboard" is the leading hypothesis.

Glidergun posted:

Close, but no cigar - y-red-el-em-nul.

curses, my own petard!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

rj54x posted:

Anybody else having problems with saves loading in trunk?

That's this bug; should be fixed once the servers rebuild. Sorry for the trouble!

now go play the tourney :P

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: And no streak because D:1 adder. Oh but I'm an assassin! Oh all of my curare needles missed thanks Crawl :thumbsup:

13 speed! 15 EV! AF_POISON! everything you could ever want.

(that means new game b*tches)

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 6, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Serephina posted:

Maxwells is great! Just... not on a freaking *Be, you know it's stasis stops the berserk speed boost, right?

Edit: not stasis, just -tele? my bad! Was it ever otherwise?

No, it was always -Tele, even in Linley's Dungeon Crawl. The big difference back then was that it was called Edison's Patent Armour instead.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

World Famous W posted:

I'm going to add something else to my ever growing list of things I wish they would bring back:

I want to be able to destroy books for amnesia purposes again. I don't tend to run out of the scrolls on my casters, it is just more missing the flavor part of it.

Araganzar posted:

I wish that had not been removed, also. It gave you a reason to use that 2nd Book of Air you found. It also made it easier to use spells you didn't intend to keep all game. It was a cool little addition, I know we need to prune, I think sometimes we trim too close to the branch.

I get where you guys are coming from, but I stand by what I said at the time:

quote:

One of crawl's most secret features, book amnesia allowed you to
destroy a book to forget one of its spells. In principle this is a
cool tradeoff (do you want to give up the option of ever learning
any of the spells in the book?), but it's rarely relevant in
practice (even for players who know about it!), and if it were
relevant, good play would involve a complex optimization game,
cross-referencing available books and the spells within. Which does
not seem especially fun to get dragged into midway through a
perfectly good game of DCSS.

Flavor is nice, uses for duplicate books are nice, but book amnesia wasn't a great way to achieve either.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I don't feel too tough :ohdear:

Why on earth are you wearing +1 chain.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

odiv posted:

Is there a way to find out how many Heal Wounds potions have generated in my current game. Because either I'm guzzling them like no tomorrow or hardly any have shown up at all.

I want to find out if I'm justified in complaining or I'm just being a whiner.

No, sadly. The stats currently only track total # of all potions tracked, not a per-type breakdown.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Shouted "oh god dammit" loud enough that my roomie asked me to quiet down.

hey, that's a free stab on an orc priest! free xp.......

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Arag is correct. Monster poison works completely differently from player poison; they have iirc 4 levels of poison, which degrades over time & deals damage in the process. Higher levels of poison do dramatically more damage, so you want to ram that 'sick as possible!' cap and keep monsters there. Poison damage and decay is pretty random; there's no concept of "this monster will die to poison".

Player poison used to be closer to this, but it was changed a few years ago.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
shoals is insanely, insanely trivial with a hexer, as long as you've found invisibility.

generally, you just need to have a large toolkit of effects to try to have something that works against everyone, and ideally you might want to branch out into something else, e.g. summoning (good synergy!) or straight-up melee (probably long blades). depends on your apts, your god, and what you find.

you can check out what i was casting in my last spen run (bottom of the morgue); i did shoals around xl 18 and snake around xl 20, both with a pretty pure 'hexing' approach. the exact spell list isn't critical, for snake, but metabolic englaciation was good (mass irresistable slow), tukima's dance was very good (dancing weapons are strong and most stuff in snake is vulnerable), yara's was good for wiping haste away from the many self-hasting monsters in snake, silence was decent against nagarajas, cigotuvi's embrace was very very good for giving me some actual defenses... and confuse still worked, tbh. probably petrify would've been good too.

shoals was pretty much just invis, lol. but if i hadn't had that, i think most of those same spells i listed would've worked well. i didn't have too much trouble keeping all but the top-end monsters hexable (~50% success or better), through the lair branches at least.

looking at your game, i don't see much that's obviously wrong. you went way further into stealth than i would've (i'd probably have stopped around ~9-10 at most - stealth is a lot less useful than it sounds, that's why it's so cheap!), and going hexer ancestor for a hexer character is sort of dubious - ideally your god would help you out when you're up against non-hex-vulnerable enemies, rather than doubling down and leaving you with no backup. knight or battlemage would probably have been better (though i'm sure it's winnable regardless).

watching the tv of your death, it's not really so much about your character's build as the standard crawl problem of realizing that you were in trouble a few turns too late. should've run away sooner!

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 11, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

Pearl dragons are horseshit that shouldn't be spawning in Depths. If they are able to, at least make the breath like any other dragon instead of an undodgable AOE fireball...

done. (you dodged it 2-3 times before it hit you, actually!)

there are plenty of other monsters that will have no mercy on players still using Summon Ice Beast and Lightning Spire in Depths. salt aside, i'm not extremely sold on your complaints here.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i'm crawling for escapism, personally

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Araganzar posted:

Hexer is the best Hep pet, and it's ESPECIALLY the best pet for a hexer, because of this weird mechanic where casting hexes costs you a turn of play. Every spell it casts leads to quick kills for a stabber and it doesn't use MP. At XL19 it's the only pet you can put behind you or have miles away because it has mass confusion.

This doesn't answer my argument, though. The problem for enchanters isn't dealing with enemies that are vulnerable to hexes, it's dealing with enemies that *aren't*, and a hexer ancestor won't help with that at all.

Araganzar posted:

Stealth is a little high but 9-10 would be pretty low with a +4 apt. The main issue was being running shoals at XL 16 without blink or invis and 2-3 full levels of D left. Didn't wait too long to use escape. There was no escape - no fear and no blink. Also terrible gear overall, Hep is strong enough that doesn't matter but still, terrible gear. Only 1 teleport scroll. Would earlier Bat form have worked? Harpies are speed 25.

If I'm weak in Shoals I play like I'm pulling the Elf 3 vault. I sit at the stairs yelling and shooting meph clouds out, I try to always know where a stairs is, if I find a stairs I explore it to make sure I have a safe spot, etc. The threat in shoals is half monsters and half landscape.
3x !haste is plenty for an escape, especially with bat form.

Re-watching the tv, though, the real issue was that he charged into a fight with what turned out to be a group of enemies, rather than pulling enemies toward himself. You can't play like an o-tab berserker on weaker characters!

Araganzar posted:

Should have been using Transference. Drain lowers HP (edit: HD), MR, and Accuracy, all very useful for a hexer.

Draining does not lower MR, and hasn't since 0.16. (Even then, it only lowered MR for an arbitrary subset of monsters!) Maybe it should! I think it'd be a fun interaction - it was one of the original design goals of modern draining. But it doesn't right now.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Araganzar posted:

I've won 4, maybe 5 games as a hexer/stabber with the hex pet. Enemies that are immune to hexes and see invis that are powerful enough to be an issue yet not so powerful your pet can take them with limited help are rare. And if not, you are hep, you can just transfer and walk away from almost all of them. Frankly, if you don't have invis or any other alternative to stabbing hexed creatures your game is in trouble regardless of your pet.
Point taken, and I certainly agree with that last! (Though I'm curious - what was your experience with the battlemage?)

Araganzar posted:

On draining, there's still code that drops MR based on HD but it looks like practically it's not employed due to the monster data settings. Most people I know thing it's one of the best brands. What else does draining affect? I have been told the -accuracy is better than Dith's aura....
Accuracy, base damage (more relevant against non-weapon-users), spellpower are the main things. Also resistance to HD-checking effects (e.g. dazzlespray, meph), damage from AF_s (e.g. fire elementals' attacks), constriction strength, recite resistance... and other increasingly minor effects. This old post, has a list, but it's out of date in various important ways; probably the biggest is that chance to cast spells is no longer based on HD.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

Banish is a bit confusing in terms of XP - Do I want to drop them low then banish, or just fire it off if scary things appear?

If you can safely take a monster to low HP, you don't need Banish to deal with it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Devlan Mud posted:

Please change the 27 Bows title to something less dumb than "Merry (species)" thanks.

27-skill titles are punishment for putting too many points into a single skill. proof: the axes title

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

No matter how attractive the Obsidian Axe looks, it is and always will be the most dangerous unrand to use.

i had a game once with obsidian axe & maxwell's armour, years ago. the temptation was too great to resist...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

What was the 27 traps one?

Dungeon Master.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
pity it's only one of the stairs

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

Why was only attacking orthogonally a thing it was deliberately designed to do before now :lol:

begging the question

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

Sorry, I read this line and the commit name and assumed:
code:
return dist < 2 || (dist <= 2 && you.reach_range() != REACH_NONE);
I guess I should blame Crawlcode instead, then?

Yeah, I think the current behaviour is what that line of code was *intended* to do - they just called the wrong function to calculate "dist".

e: lol

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
there's a known bug involving a rakshasa with a battleaxe cleaving multiple enemies, somehow getting damaged midway through, triggering its 'defensive illusion', creating two illusions nearby and swapping with one of them, leaving it out of range of the original remaining cleaving targets, crashing the game.

crawl is good

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Autoexplore should probably just not cross deep water if you only have temporary flight (and you can't swim or otherwise walk through deep water or whatever other weird special cases).

I honestly thought it didn't! That's very weird.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

odiv posted:

Looks like they were already over the deep water and it didn't move them, if I'm reading it right?

Yeah, I can't reproduce this at all; I just get "partly explored; can't reach some items and places" if i try. (No time passes.)

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Found the (+8 antimagic *Rage battleaxe) Wrath of Trog on my VS with no axe levels or crosstrains.

I... I don't know. :ohdear:

Antimagic weapons aren't super great for VS.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Mystery Prize posted:

Is there an up-to-date list of Demonspawn mutations anywhere? the wiki is horribly out of date :(

The list in the codebase is as close as you'll get, I suspect.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Superterranean posted:

waaah waaah my trunk game is crashing on load. "short read while reading save", it says.

Is that run over?

edit: this is on CBRO, as Superterranean.

Sorry, someone (for once, not me!) broke save compat for all trunk saves last night. I'm fixing it now.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Speleothing posted:

I'm pretty sure they can show up in the abyss. It's just rarer because you teleport to new maps pretty often

They cannot.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Araganzar posted:

Ripostes do not sever heads - and with the # of attacks you're going to get a riposte.

riposte only actually triggers once per hydra attack series, not once per head. ditto for other monsters with multiple attacks, e.g. trolls, and likewise ditto for minotaur headbutt retaliation (which is where the code comes from in the first place)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

I think what he's referring to is that the amount of attacks will almost always get you a riposte every turn, making it quite reliable.

However, they will not, because of what I said in the post you just quoted.

You have, at best, about a 1/3 chance of a riposte per-turn vs a hydra. Probably somewhat less in practice.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

So if you happen to banish them via distortion you get 50% of the experience and no real consequences? If so, I think I've found an excellent method of ghost busting via AKs.

It's not like there are real 'consequences' for banishing non-ghost monsters...

odiv posted:

Did someone change the code to make double-zapping with lightning "easier"?

Because it's loving with my reflexes.

If not, then I guess it's all in my head.

Yes. You can disable this by setting
pre:
simple_targeting = true
in your rfile.

Araganzar posted:

I've always been confused about effective_attack_number in the code. Does it restart at 0 for each monster attacking and then go up 1 for each additional attack? I see riposte is in the same section as Mino retaliation which only fires on attack number <= 0. So could I get one riposte per adjacent monster attacking?

Correct. Note also that fast monsters, e.g. adders, can get multiple 'first attacks' per player turn.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

What if you encounter a loving L3 entropy weaver? Why do they have 4x17 melee attacks?

crawl hack: use simulacrum on entropy weavers to create a large group of 4x(1d17 + 13-38) damage friends

bonus crawl hack: never, ever stand next to a hostile entropy weaver simulacrum

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

My tabtroll died to some unique jerk with a very very VERY strong executioners axe.

was it rupert.

(for a moment i was hoping it was ignacio... too much to hope for!)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I had a beautiful Demonspawn gladiator with a superb axe trying to clear the bottom Orc floor. The vault, specifically, which seemed Hell related. I drop below my HP safety threshhold and so quaff a tele potion, and it delightfully throws me two rows into the mob I was trying to escape. Yes, I had a blink scroll. Yes I died.

thank you for dying to my lovely, hand-crafted Pandemonium orc ending. i'm really hoping to make a strong placement in the Player-Killing Competition this year and i'll need a lot of help to get there! every death counts.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I decided the game wasn't unpredictable enough so I chose a Troll Wanderer. Game gave me a bow, crossbow, and ammo and skills for both. Probably about as good as it is going to get.

Edit: D6, go down the stairs and Sigmund and Eustachio are having a staring contest.

d:6 sigmund is not a very big deal.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Darox posted:

Vorpal (slicing/crushing/etc), freezing, flaming and holy wrath scale their bonus damage on the damage dealt.

Draining has partial scaling on weapon damage and partial flat damage, though lategame most of the big threats will resist it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

If you want to continue down the Hexes route then you'll want Mass Confusion and Discord. Otherwise summons is your go-to distraction with your pivot point typically being Summon Mana Viper. For 3 runes Shadow Creatures is all you need.

Mass Confusion was sadly removed.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Carcer posted:

Did killer klown korpses (:v:) always cycle between their different forms?

Nope, that was changed when they became their own species.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

hito posted:

So I'm running a stabber of Hep for my YT videos and I just realized I have no idea whether transference wakes up the target. I assume so but it'd be super dope if it didn't because it could be basicially a reverse shadow step. Anyone know one way or the other?

It does, though it doesn't alert them to your presence automatically. (They just start wandering.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
it can be nice for heavy-hunger characters, like certain spellcasters. not hugely important (especially with the chunk-eating changes in 0.19), but nice.

• Locked thread