Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

For the purpose of building piety, does Uskayaw consider kills by allies to be worth as much or counted at all?

Also what happens if a formicid with innate clarity casts borg's while in death's door?

If you have clarity and stasis you resist both debuffs and suffer no other special consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Araganzar posted:

Blinking, until recently passage, hep swap. It's possible to have permanent tport traps on both lung entrances and god help you if you don't have -Tele.

With the addition of beckoning, teleport traps in zot5 can actually be a strategic boon. Stand so you have a 1-tile gap open and beckon the things past the trap. Any third wheels get warped away by the trap so it's a lot easier to ditch if things look ugly and you can pick out all the unpleasant fireballs and lichs before assaulting the lungs.

Double Zot trap is just nasty though.

e: It probably wouldn't hurt to make beckoning level 4 or 5. I know it already got nerfed to where it's basically impossible to max out the range in a real game, but it's still really good for a level 3 spell.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ever since wasps and hornets got merged I have felt that hornets are kinda loving bullshit death machines for the levels they can spawn on. Especially that one food vault where you can autoexplore into melee range with two of them.

cheetah7071 posted:

What rc file wizardry do I need to do to make it so I start every game with unIDed wands, wands of hasting, wands of teleportation, and wands of heal wounds on autopickup, but no other IDed wands?
Just make sure wands as a group are on auto pickup, then add exceptions for every type of wand you don't care about. The only downside is you won't pick up a copy of a wand if a monster IDs it for you, which is a minor niggle if you want one wand of flame for eels or similar. You can also do the same thing for staffs, set the staff group as auto pickup then exclude "staff of" so you only pick up unIDed ones.

e: I've done this for my rc and the relevant part looks like this:

autopickup = |$?!:"/%

ae := autopickup_exceptions
ae += <throwing net
ae += >staff of
ae += >wand of (confusion|polymorph|flame|iceblast|slowing|magic darts|random effects|enslavement|paralysis|lightning|teleport)
ae += >ring of (ice|cold|fire|stealth|positive energy|magical power)

Darox fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 8, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Which utter bastard gave entropy weavers sInv? What an awful thing to do. I don't even understand what it hoped to achieve. Spider has a glaring vulnerability to invisibility but this doesn't really change anything there because all the other damage dealers still can't find you so you just take the usual entropy weaver strategy of running away. I don't think any spider runevaults come with weavers anyway so it's doubly ineffectual there. It makes doing zigs as melee incredibly unfeasible but I doubt that was the goal because that's really stupid.

Entropy weavers are the worst example of why the current corrosion mechanic is kinda garbage. It completely and utterly shuts down your characters offense while not actually stopping you from just escaping, and the only solution is to hide in a corner and 5 till it expires. Actually fighting an entropy weaver while there is any other enemies on the screen is the worst idea you can have. It hits you with corrosion which slows down your damage which gives it more time to corrode which reduces your damage further and repeats until you have no chance of hitting or hurting anything with your weapon. The only way to counter the corrosion is to ignore it entirely by using spells/invo/evocations.

Corrosion needs to either not give negative slaying and just focus on AC or have a charge system like corpse embrace or powered by death, with each individual stack of corrosion having its own timer. It's really dumb being worried about a yellow draconian or acid blob appearing not because it poses any real threat to you but because if it lands an acid attack it will refresh the duration of your entire corrosion stack and waste more of your time.

Corrosion: a dumb mechanic that checks your teleport consumables more than your rCorrosion

e: If you wanted to make Spider less of a pushover with invisibility you should give jumping spiders sInv again and improve spiders websense so they can spot webbed invisible targets.

On closer inspection it seems that they got sInv when their flavor was changed to formicids.
WHY

vOv posted:

1. Should I bother corrupting my axe if I get a good one? Obvious extra damage or banishing is good, but blinking or teleporting an enemy seems pretty iffy.
2. When do I use my Corrupt ability? I'm thinking on branch ends so that I can try to cheese the rune and so that the guardians will fight the abyss summons.
1: Distortion is really good. You should have a second backup axe but an axe with distortion will wreck havoc. Also, it's pretty funny to use a distortion weapon for half the game then visit abyss:1 and meet everybody again.
2: Use corrupt whenever you feel slightly threatened by a large group of enemies. Branch ends, hall of blades, any open floor with a nasty vault, everywhere. The monsters it summons pretty aggressively seek out enemy monsters to kill and mostly ignore you, they will clean out everything nearby. Just keep your distance because if the abyss monsters do end up in melee range with you they will take swings at you.

Darox fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 9, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You might be able to dodge the blast but you can't dodge the clouds, and they are real nasty. I had an extended character that could facetank pan lords but every pearl dragon encounter (all two of them in holy pan - pearl dragons might be the rarest monster that can spawn in the game?) was a trial because I had to cheiwalk through the clouds, I'm not surprised a depths vampire got vaporized.

A pearl dragon in depths is really mean, they are iron giant/juggernaut level dangerous but nobody ever fights them so you don't notice.

Darox fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 11, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get the love for Death's Door. I mean I understand why its a good spell but its just so scary to use! :ohdear:

Also I'm afraid to refresh it right after it expires because I think a miscast effect could kill me.

I didn't get deaths door until I was forced to use it while doing a zig. Being immune to damage saved me in a way that nothing else possibly could. After that I just started getting it on everything and finding it more and more useful. It's instantaneous and provides total immortality, and unlike sanctuary and divine protection you can continue fighting. If a hell lord blasts you down to 60~ hp not only do you have a reliable way to survive the next turn, but you can also potentially finish them off instead of having to reset the fight. If a pan situation goes horribly wrong and you have multiple fiends closing in, you can ensure safety in a way that cBlink or HW could never hope to achieve.

DDoor is on par with the best god abilities for surviving dangerous situations, and all it asks is that you can cast a level 8 double school spell and drains almost all of your health. :v:

I can understand the fear though, I have definitely died on the same turn DDoor expired.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

rF and sInv are both pretty useless in lair. Those axes are pretty similar so it really comes down to the brand, just swap to whichever is more useful at the time. That will usually be freezing, though poison can be strong against death yaks etc if you have trouble fighting them head on and need to kite. The broad axe is better for orc and after that it depends on where you are going.

A battleaxe with a brand is also a good stepping stone before you find an executioners, at 20 axe skill you already have min delay.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

Banish is a bit confusing in terms of XP - Do I want to drop them low then banish, or just fire it off if scary things appear?
The answer for this and anything else that reduces your xp is "you can't gain xp if you're dead". Summon those makhleb demons, use those undead minions, banish those monsters, corrupt those floors. If you feel a little bit threatened, you need to be using your power tools.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

27-skill titles are punishment for putting too many points into a single skill. proof: the axes title

I deliberately got 27 necromancy skill on my felid win for the good title 'felid of death'. Died 8 times but still survived!

e: Like a third of all 27 titles are lame, another third are silly jokes, and the remaining third are cool. Most of the cool titles are 6* invocations titles.

Darox fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 14, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Trogs wrath is super dangerous but easier to avoid if you can go invisible. TSO does not let you go invisible. Just something to consider for future attempts at god switching. You can always tag in TSO afterwards for your holy brand.

If you really want easy piety with any good god after switching you can scum the abyss. Plenty of unholy/chaotic enemies there.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Gozag corpse gold should always go directly into your pocket. Ever since the change to the gold aura there's been no reason for it to drop on the floor and the game directly pockets any gold that would be lost to deep water/lava, so having to pick up the gold just adds a bit of extra tedium. Scooping up all the gold after every fight is easier than old corpse 'p'urifying but you have to do it for every encounter and it becomes a huge hassle any time something blocks your autoexplore and you don't want to hang around to kill everything like abyss or pan.

Hell, just give Gozag a passive money vacuum ability and autopocket all gold in your LoS. Thematic and convenient!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Shoals is a lot easier if you separate everything as much as possible. If you get brutally owned in shoals it's probably because you got stuck in water and swarmed. If not for the terrain, snake would always be significantly harder than shoals.

Araganzar posted:

I FRICKING HATE GUARDIAN SERPENTS SO MUCH!

I had a TeAE of Sif going, 3rd streak, tons of tourney points for the combo and win. 33 int, archmagi, OOD, fireball, freezing cloud, bolt of fire, you name it. Just looking for anything with rElec so I can mem chain lightning.
I found your problem. Even with high power chain lightning self damage has trouble breaking into double digits. You don't need rElec for it in the same way you do for ball lightning. Chain lightning is good regardless, it's just extra amazing with a staff of air.

Darox fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 16, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I reached a new personal best, I picked up the golden rune as my second rune with a gargoyle fighter (previously best was #3 with a mummy necromancer) I skipped swamp because I had no flaming sword and I was worshipping TSO so after diving crypt I just walked into tomb at level 22. The sphinx pack nearly killed me because I was using maxwells and overcommitted, but after that it was a complete breeze. Tomb difficulty is weird. The thought of doing pan or any hells with >150 health and melee only is terrifying but Tomb was about the same or easier than normal.

Relatedly, does anyone have ideas for getting the Lord of Darkness (Win without entering lair, orc & vaults) banner? Even surviving depths without that xp & gear is rough, getting 2 pan or hell runes to go with it is crazy.

e: Last time I commented I said that beckoning was too good but I was mostly using it on an augmentation demonspawn. Using it on a regular character, even with 24 translocation, 20 spellcasting and 20 int I only had a range of 4. At that point I could cast cBlink at 1% in IDA. That's real dumb. A version of beckoning that had higher investment requirements but a better power curve would be much better. I can understand not wanting max range beckon (especially since it doesn't check anything and pulls the full distance) but 4 range is pitiful.
Alternative idea, make the range scale up faster but make the pull distance also dependent on power, so you need to use multiple pulls if you're not rocking that ridiculous power requirement.

Darox fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 17, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Triggering on every action they take seems like overkill. The only things I have on constant force more for combat (not just 'comes into view' or god/evolve/etc events) are successful malmuts, exhaustion ending, death door warnings, sap magic, getting marked, miasma/calcifying clouds and huge damage notifications. That last one is usually more than enough to slow down overtabbing. Forcing more every time a demonspawn warmonger or death drake did anything would be really annoying, it's enough to trigger when they do the one action that causes problems.

All player ghosts, distortion users, orbs of fire, cacodemons, vault sentinels and everything with torment/agony could potentially be added to that list though.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Wolfechu posted:

Quick question: I know at some point in the last year necromantic minions you raise got made non-permanent - did this get reverted at some point?

I mean, I'm not complaining if they did, but I've dabbled with things like animate skeleton and Yred during the tourney, and they don't seem to be poofing into clouds of smoke anymore. Of if they are, I'm missing it.

E: Of course, as soon as I post this, I see one crumble into dust, but they still seem to be lasting WAY longer, even for a scrub minotaur fightmans.

Yred minions last forever, spell minions are timed.

Araganzar posted:

Ripostes do not sever heads - and with the # of attacks you're going to get a riposte. Equip a big rear end sword and throw javs or use wands.

Everyone's talking about the second point but I've totally seen riposte sever heads, and trigger spines and everything else regular attacks do. Unless that got changed recently?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Troll secret - play necromancer. Early tabbing is still as easy as ever but you also get animate skeleton and vampiric draining to wreck stuff and extend your easy mode life to beyond lair. Get 10~ necromancy skill so draining is reliable then do whatever you want with your troll.

Troll necromancy apt is actually good for troll apts and most of the good necromancies are single school so you can really go deep into spells on a necrotroll, and most of the good necromancies are also fantastic melee support spells.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Give Ignacios' axe the same property as the scepter of torment instead of a pain brand. Even after the change to rN pain is a pretty weak and unimpressive brand at that point, for both Ignacio and as a reward for the player. It would make him a much cooler encounter instead of being a regular executioner with extra hp.

It'd also be nice if his spawn rate was a little better, he's on the same tier as Murray and Tiamat for elusive uniques. Alternative idea, make him a potential choice as pan lord for demonic rune vaults. He'd probably need bigger stats in that case but it would be neat.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

rPois used to reduce it by one level when they were seperate (paralyze to slowing and slowing to nothing) but now I think it might just give you an extra % chance to resist.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Speleothing posted:

I would have Firestorm, Shatter, and Glaciate. So damage output is good, if not very target-specific, maybe I should drop one of those three for OoD.

Don't bother.
All thee of those are fine for single targets. The only issue you might have is ice or shadow* fiends in melee range but OoD isn't great there either. The secret to blaster endgame is realizing that level 9 spells can replace almost all other damage sources. OoD is great and still useful in extended but it's completely outclassed by all three of those spells, don't drop one for it.

*I really dislike the new name for shadow fiends, it's completely out of place with the other fiends. Now if you want to describe the group of greater demons that also have torment it's "fiends and also twizzlers"

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I had a beautiful Demonspawn gladiator with a superb axe trying to clear the bottom Orc floor. The vault, specifically, which seemed Hell related. I drop below my HP safety threshhold and so quaff a tele potion, and it delightfully throws me two rows into the mob I was trying to escape. Yes, I had a blink scroll. Yes I died.
I found a vault with runed doors and glass walls, a small box with the shield of resistance in the center guarded by two fire dragons and two ice dragons. It was a neat thing and I planned on cracking it open after another 6~ or so levels. A little while later on that floor I met trouble and used a teleport. In this giant empty level, I landed in the middle of the sealed glass box and the dragons quickly obliterated me.

Never trust teleport.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Distortion always. It beats everything forever. Basically the only enemy who doesn't get completely chumped by distortion is the royal jelly, and that's only because you need to actually kill it since it ate the key to the slime vault.

With an ancestor you can even mitigate minor blinking inconveniences.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

New personal record! I got two DANG messages in the same turn. Ijyb on d2 with a wand of acid, the impact and acid splash both hit for more than half my hp.
:rip:

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Which one scales with weapon base damage? Is that freezing?
Vorpal (slicing/crushing/etc), freezing, flaming and holy wrath scale their bonus damage on the damage dealt. Even then, for big weapons electricity does competitive damage and almost nothing resists it, so it's always a pretty decent brand. Pain and distortion are pretty similar; they are better on the fast weapons but they do just fine on a giant axe as well.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

D 10 - xxxbow of freezing
Lair 6 - manual of crossbows
D 13 - artifact xxxbow of electricity

Okay fine crawl I get the message I'll train crossbow skill, geez.

Related pro tip: Basically every character should pick up the first crossbow they find and just fire it at distant enemies as they walk to you. The potential damage with any xbow is amazing compared to stones and sometimes you'll just kill enemies outright. You don't need to invest any skill, the huge recovery time doesn't matter when they waste it walking towards you.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Species size doesn't affect your armour encumbrance. IIRC it only affects your ev modifier, constriction, shallow water penalties, weapon restrictions and shield breakpoints. e: Apparently it also affects shafting chance and trample chance.

Naga do have decent stats though, 22/18 base str and int is pretty good. You don't need to be a Chei worshipper to have good stats, especially if you're willing to let one of the three rot.

Darox fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 28, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Honestly with any berserker you can just turn fighting/armour/dodging on and focus your weapon skill at the start then leave it like that for the entire game and do fine.

euphronius posted:

Yeah that makes sense but the offense / defense of evasion is breaking my brain
With long swords
Treat riposte as a nice bonus rather than a significant source of damage. In a recent 15 rune win I got the ring of shaolin early (so had lots of free EV) AND got the fencer gloves (so I had a much higher riposte chance) but in the end I still only something like 1 riposte for every 10 sword swings that game. The damage increase from extra ev is really tiny.

OTOH Dodging skill is always useful and a MiBe has a glut of xp since you don't need any invo/stealth/casting, so get some even if you're wearing heavy armour. Looking at the blue skill cost numbers can help you balance things out.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah but if you're going to do lazy skilling you might as well do the 20/40/20/20 manual training split. Never have to change it, never leak experience into throwing/evo/bows/stealth. If you're feeling fancy you can include shields briefly and if you're doing extended your weapon will max out but otherwise you can win berserker games like that without any issue. Source: I did this to get my <3 hour TeBe win, and if I can do it while blindly hammering tab as fast as possible anyone can.

tote up a bags posted:

code:
      800043 Stoats the Sniper (level 27, -18/190 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Fighter on Nov 28, 2016.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Demolished by a white very ugly thing (19 damage)
             ... while paralysed by a floating eye
             ... in Pandemonium on Nov 29, 2016.
             The game lasted 03:10:29 (75407 turns).
Floating eyes are significant even when you're stomping through Pan!
edit: Woah I was just over 3 hours, dang.
Don't forget to always respect unique demon lords, even if it is mnoleg. Even he has one gimmick that can get you if you let him, and he got you good.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Most likely he got lucky with energy randomization. Sometimes monsters take slightly less than one turn to move, sometimes slightly more. This can let them close the gap and swing at you.

IIRC it was added to discourage pillar dancing but doesn't actually do anything of the sort. It did achieve its other stated goal of making crawl less predictable though, so I hope you appreciated the moment.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The shop thing makes sense from a flavor perspective too because it's not actually building a shop, it's just opening a portal to the shop dimension.

I like to imagine it's become a serious problem on the surface and any time you walk through a door there's a 50/50 chance you end up in Frieda's Fantastical Fripperies. The ones you find in the dungeon just couldn't afford any good real estate.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Why did nobody tell me how good Fedhas is?

cheetah7071 posted:

How bad is Fedhas wrath, I'm loving tired of not having any fruits

lol

Fedhas summons hostile minions, and basically every god wrath that summons hostile minions is crazy deadly. Except Kiku because his summons depend on the level you're on.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

So, assuming I want to convert to Jiyva, but there isn't an altar in lair, and I am extremely weak but have rCorr, how impossible is ninjaing the altar on slime 6?

Talking about a character that just reached lair 6? Effectively impossible. Getting down 5 floors and then through the royal jelly and his minions without meeting anything that blocks your way is impossible, and unless you know what you're doing & get a little lucky fighting basically anything there will end in death.

If you get really lucky with placements, stairs, and consumables you could just about do it, but you'll probably just die to acid blob shots. Or get permanently confused by the first golden eye pack you see.

apple posted:

whether the altar in the middle is overcrowded
The altar always has 3 spawns on each branch and TRJ in the center, you'll always need to disperse them.

Darox fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 12, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Let me describe FeCj of Jiyva gameplay: Summon prism, a jelly appears, jelly gets hit by prism, penance. I went into penance 6 times before reaching a lair rune.

Also I don't think it's described anywhere that Jivya gives you TRJ-style jelly spawning. It's kind of a huge deal, because spawning multiple allied acid blobs or azure jellies is basically a free win against everything except abjuring elves all the way up to your third rune.
Unless it spawns right before your prism explodes and turns hostile.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

/HW is better because it's something you can potentially use multiple times in a fight if things go really badly. You start burning through the charges and run into recharging issues. You use haste once and it's effectively there for an entire encounter, unless your encounter is a rune vault (maybe two uses in that case!) or you encounter one of the incredibly rare effects that can strip buffs (I think it's just miscasts, hell effects and zot traps; maybe a unique can do it)

Honestly I wouldn't be sad if wands of haste and teleportation went away forever.

Also if you're changing consumables give potions of flight the swiftness effect and remove generic rings of flight.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Gnolls already introduce the reaching mechanic on D1. When you leave the entrance vault and run face first into a halberd gnoll you remember this fact.

Internet Kraken posted:

Quicksilver dragon and purple draconian breath dispels buffs. The Iron Serpent of Hell can also breath a dispelling beam. Not sure if anything else has access to that.
I can't believe I forgot that draconians that aren't green or yellow have breath.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

When you kill Dowan, sometimes Duvessa says she will go to hell to retrieve him. FR: replace garbage chaff in hells with the ghosts of uniques you killed with their HD and stats ramped up.

Anything is better than more wight fights.

Carcer posted:

The none-rune hell floors exist to make you pay the torment tax. With pan the pan lord vaults sometimes have ok loot.

Cerebovs castle has loot, mnolegs domain sometimes has a couple items, and the other two have basically nothing. Holy pan has good loot but random pan lord vaults are a total crapshoot, barely above floorgod levels. Hell is loaded down with valuables, even if you usually ignore 80% of them because you're already kitted up.

Pan is kinda boring because you visit 20-40 floors in a game but spend very little time in most of them. If it's not a unique level you find the nearest portal and leave, there's really no incentive to stick around and explore. Hell has a similar problem but the floors are fixed and provide an obstacle to the rune, with Pan you're just rolling dice hoping to get lucky.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Speaking of polearms and axes, scythes still exist. They should be given cleave and reaching. Or at least a scythe fixedart that cleaves if you don't use reaching. e: Give it to Finisher.

Cause let's be honest, the only reason scythes haven't been cut like other weapons is because Sigmund uses it and there's two fixedart scythes. Their only contribution to the game is giving Sigmund and reapers reaching, players never touch them.

Darox fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 21, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Which means the only good 1H option for polearms is demon tridents(+trishulas), which makes 1H builds with polearms more rare because the only good 1H option for them is rare most of the game.

On the other hand the biggest 2h polearm is the most common "rare" weapon type in the game by far. You can go through an entire three rune game and only see 0-1 copies of executioner/double/triple/lajatang/quickblade/eveningstar but Orc and Vaults have half a dozen bardiche between them.

Demon whips and swords are also much harder to find than tridents IME as well thanks to shoals if you land that 50/50 flip.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I gues reapers make removing scythes awkward because there isn't any solution that preserves their relevant effects cleanly. Reapers have reaching attacks and a random per-reaper brand. Replacing their attacks with an innate melee attack while replicating the scythe effects would be a mechanical mess and giving them a different polearm is totally out of place flavour wise. The flavour is somewhat relevant for their necromancy connection via miscasts and mummy curses where they fill a useful role that soul eaters do not.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Reapers are boring as hell so I wouldn't mind if they just stopped existing.

Honestly even though they are a melee only stat pile you mostly meet in extended I consider reapers a notable demon. I've had several encounters where a reaper just smacks me repeatedly with a bunch of damage while hiding behind other stuff, especially in tomb. I've had more near-death experiences because of reapers than I have with balrugs or blizzard demons. Reaching plus a brand can be troublesome.

Haifisch posted:

How often do their random brands matter, honestly? By the time you start seeing them, they're already chaff. You could give them a generic reaching attack without losing much.

Distortion is the obvious one but even the minor ones add damage.

Darox fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 21, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

dpeg posted:

Of course, a non-relevant monster can be removed. However, I think it's more interesting to move it to a higher (more shallow) depth first. This is what happened to some uniques. Where could Reapers be interesting enemies? (I agree they're chaff when they come up -- I cannot recall a memorable fight against one.)

Give them an always-on fear aura, make non-polearm melee characters hate life.

To avoid fear bloat, remove it from eidelons because it's kinda dumb on them. Satyr have ranged attacks and orange brains blink around but eidelons mostly just cast some draining bolts and walk up to you, their fear is really irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I would not have bet on reapers killing more folks than ice fiends, is that a rarity thing? I want chance of death given a monster type damaging you during the fight so we can normalize for spawn frequency.

Ice fiends are chumps in extended and most of their threat comes from casting torment, which can't land killing blows.

Daeva are surprisingly high considering their rarity but I guess everyone who walks into Zins pan temple unprepared is going to die to daeva and half of the people who are prepared will also die. Add in a couple deaths via seraphim summon on the orb run.

• Locked thread