Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fitzy Fitz posted:

OoFs have small body size

WHAT?! I'll take obscure poo poo not communicated to the player for 600, Alex. God, and I've been playing this game since .5 ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Superterranean posted:

crawl stone soup was awesome until I got tired of holding down tab or playing an idiot firestorm vehumet blaster DE

now that WJC has showed me that melee doesn't have to be boring as poo poo, I want a roguelike that'll let me do that

Come this way, down this alley, to the dark side, we call it Sil...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Floodkiller posted:

I need something to do while waiting for more dev review on Cyno (or whatever new name it is going to be: likely Gnoll from the looks of it). Since Charms is kind of empty after all the cuts and buff spells sound like a good place to mix up combat between Tab and Blaster Mage, it sounds like a good spot for some new content.

Post your ideas for new Charms spells: both simple ideas or complex breakdowns welcome. For simple ideas, suggest something that either not all players want or that players do not want on all the time. If you want to do a complex breakdown, follow the previous sentence as well as:
-Effect should scale with spellpower, not designed as a bare minimum XP requirement
-Effect should have a downside to prevent being used all the time. Being a high enough spell level for the effect counts as a downside, a la Deflect Missiles.
-Should not be optimal to cast outside of combat

I'll be working on ripping off random MOBA buffs (current idea is a reactive armor charm that stuns attackers) until someone suggests something cool enough.

Damage amplification - You both give and receive more damage, a la lovely amulet. Both the effect and the duration increase with spellpower. Low level spell.
Alacrity - Your next non-movement action takes 0 aut. Examples including casting passwall, attacking with the dark maul, Formicid shafting, and swapping heavy armours midcombat. It creates a buff that rapidly expires, but scales generously with spellpower, allowing for leeway ("I don't know if I want to shaft myself yet, but I might in 7 turns time"). Mid level spell to make the mana cost onerous.
Touch mind - The forbidden divinations school returns! High level spell, reveals all monsters in a large, spellpower-dependant AoE around you, but they are alerted to your presence also. Instant effect only.

That took about 5 minutes to think of and write.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Darth Windu posted:

Use a similar formula for a big brother infusion then

Or rather, don't. Every time another 1d(foo) gets added to crawl code base, a pixie dies

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Captain Monkey posted:

D-d-d-die rolls!!! In my roguelike?!

Specifically 1d() die rolls, since they have huge variance for no good reason, and crawl code is rife with nested 1d() rolls, which is the most convoluted way possible to create weighted distribution. It's actually really easy to have Rng that's transparent, but crawl is well down the rabbit hole. I pour out a liter of Malt every thing I think of those poor devs who dived, yet never came back up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Some of those sound like /amazing/ background classes, but it's just not something that crawl could do.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
When Gnolls where first introduced I was authentically excited about them as a new race, which is rare. The idea of basically getting all your skills to 12 instantly then playing gnoll-crawl for the rest of the game was intriguing. But 12 was too low, now it's 15, and it's not quite instantaneous to get there but it sure as hell stops once it does. Feedback suggests it's not very exciting, which is a shame. I'd play it myself but I have a firm no-trunk policy after losing a few too many characters to half-implemented changes (my most salty was surprise Manticore barbs, which where happy to let you walk around for insane dmg w/o warning). Possibly suggestion which might horribly break flavor but make the race interesting? Allow one skill to go above the soft cap, maybe the first to get past it, and for the rest of the skills the cap becomes hard. So you could have 27 in e.g. Hexes, but the rest of your skills are stuck at 12ish. Allows for a lot of versatility on how you want to build your dude, and keeps them competitive with other races where players pick their skill-of-choice during character creation ("I want to cast tornado, so Tengu it is!")

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Lure them. For a 'melee guy' you can easily mash them up in around a dozen attacks, and might get around one mutation per OoF if done right. Don't half-rear end it with ranged options. If they are clustered, set an autoexplore exclusion about them and walk away; they'll naturally split up over time.

OoF's are literally the hardest non-unique enemy in the game barring random panlord generation, they are the true 'gatekeepers' that orb guardians pretend to be. You pay a consumable/mutation tax per encounter, and 'hard' zot runs are defined by how many naturally generate. They're fine.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Uh, yea, OoFs are speed 20. Don't try to run across the continent with one on your rear end. Or, at least, burn an item or two to outpace it...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, that's exactly what I was talking about before with the whole nested 1d(foo) stuff. But then someone goes and jumps on you like

Some punter posted:

D-d-d-die rolls!!! In my roguelike?!
and suddenly we see why devs might not like coming here.

This is an objectively great change, and I'm one of the unwashed masses who always thought spell success was smooth. I mean, why wouldn't it be? Up next: finding out Unique monsters generate based on items dropped in the previous level, and can be easily determined by observant players.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Araganzar posted:

I've already had one dev PM me and basically say I had a child's understanding of combat and another come into my webtiles game and set me straight about my "shitpost on STR", so I think it's safe to say my conclusions are not widely recognized among the crawlligentsia.

Carcer posted:

Are you saying that crawl devs read your post here, and rather than write a correction or rebuttal they decided confronting you in a game was the better idea?

I'm actually rather skeptical of this tbqh. Most devs have never been shy about rebuttals, and then supposedly contacting you in the one place with no paper trail is rather dramatic.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I liked those things =[

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You'd almost be better just grabbing the most current stable build and patching odd features back in; there's probably a lot of under-the-hood improvements that would be a waste to undo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Speleothing posted:

I'd like to see Clarity make a comeback, since probably half of my deaths have involved confusion lately.

Working as intended!
/cackles

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Lawdog69 posted:

Holy moly, don't try to do slime without rCorrode. Just lost the manliest MiFi ever (cleared hells, lair runes and abyss with 0 problems) because I got instantly corroded to -40 after moving off some stairs and was eaten by some dumb jellies :(.

You know, a lot of people where vocal about their support of removing 'gotchas' in crawl, but I honestly think we can all band together and say you brought that on yourself. Next up: don't go into literal fantasy volcanoes without heat resistance, and Cocytus has an icy lake, yo.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Carcer posted:

Is it communicated anywhere the walls in slime do damage and corrode? A first time player/new player isn't necessarily going to connect slime and corrosion in their minds so the first time they realize they need Rcorrode for slime is the above scenario, which is a gotcha.

As mentioned, most entrance vaults have corrosive walls, and it's a branch explicitly labeled after the prototypical corrosive enemy, usually with a few of them hanging around to remind you of it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Floodkiller posted:

(not mine, but I'm laughing too hard)

That's brilliant. I have no idea if that's intended behavior or not, but I hope it stays in even if it isn't - I know there's a lot of 'gotchas must be removed' but that's too good to go.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Most trogolytes in heavy armour can just drop a spellbook, use the divine book burning, and press 5 until the hydra dies.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Was it a paralysis roll? That might be more an issue of paralysis than zot traps. Shoulda put more points in T&D to stop this from happening!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Sage Grimm posted:

The base formula is (Spellcasting/2 + 2*avg school skill) * INT/10 * (1.5 ^ enhancer count). There's some diminishing returns that kick in after 50 but it's not important to your question.

To that end Spell schools have the most influence, followed by Spellcasting (by a fourth of the schools) and then INT (by a tenth).

Minor nit; by that formula INT might be the most important thing if you're lacking in it. Also for 2-3 school spells, raising spellcasting can sometimes be more xp-savvy when you look at the relative cost of each skill.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I like the chain of thought, and while I do agree that spellcasting has been nerfed away from 'win at everything cuz you have mana', the example you chose of a DgFE is not one I'd ever recommend to anyone, ever. Demigods are terrible at everything in the most literal way possible, with no crutches to carry them but for high stats (meh). If both chars where Dgs, or the caster was a DE, they'd be more comparable.

But yes, this is a historical problem with Crawl and RLs in general, these games reward you for being tricky and eking the most out of your actions and resources, and spells typically do just that. I'm not proposing any solutions or giving criticism regarding blaster-mages, just noting that it's a nontrivial issue.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

rchandra posted:

Casting Ball Lightning when you meant to cast Refrigeration and taking 113 damage while you have -Potion status from earlier Refrig is not ideal. RIP Wyrmbane god.

Maybe I need to rethink "spells that hit everything" as a keybind set, or at least never put CBL in there.

Or maybe not have CBL memorized ever if you're not wearing rElec 24/7

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Get points in throwing so he'll gift you javs?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

pathetic little tramp posted:

It was possible to play as a DgDK?

DK's (at some point) weren't Yred worshippers, but rather hybrids like reavers with points in necro.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
LCS is still hot trash iirc, redeemed only by being so boring that nobody wants to cut it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The "+5 to all" gimmick was tried just recently with that dog race that loses interest. The comment was that early game was comical and you had vaults-level weapon skill walking into lair. 10/10/10 sounds more reasonable as a starting point, how the heck 7's got on the table bemuses me. This point was also raised with the dog race: having huge positive stats across the board is amazing on paper, but in reality most races will be dumping most of their xp into positive stat stuff anyways, it's why ppl pick thinks like MiBe's and DECj's etc.

I've got a good non-rhetorical question: Why aren't we exploring new races without extreme gimmicks, but rather interesting apt distributions with minimal slot restrictions? Stuff like merfolk are the classic good example this: they have a wicked weapon apt, but no str and crap armour, making them the prototypical gadiator-ice-hyrbid. It'd be fun to try, I dno, necro-armour ("death knight") guy who doesn't have to deal with DD's crap.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The devs have done a great job differentiating the high level blasty spells, not just the lvl9 ones. But yea, all four have distinctive pros and cons and for some hypothetical 72 rune char getting all four online is valid

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Doors have always been ways of dicking with clouds, both in DCSS and roguelikes in general

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's XCOM baby!

Oh wait wrong thread

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

baby delivery truck posted:

Unrelated: Poison vapor, animate skeleton, conjure flame, mephitic cloud, blink, a few others, are all so amazingly useful and strong level 1-3 spells especially compared to their counterparts. I don't want them nerfed, I want to know why throw flame exists.
AND A FOURTH! - Animate skeleton (been saying this is amazingly OP for years!) should really be made level 2

The weaker Conjuration spells are there for their ease of use to newer player who want to grab some mana and shove it at people. The blaster mage playstyle segues well into midgame and lategame booms, swapping the old for the new. (Assuming you can find the spells in the first place ofc) Throw flame doesn't have to (nor should it-) have comparable dps nor mana efficiency to conjure flame. One is more broadly applicable in simple and panic scenarios, the other rewards setup. Similarly, animate skeleton exists at lvl1 because we like necromancers and it's a cool/fluffy playstyle, albeit nerfed horribly with timed summons. Moving it to higher levels is just mean.

DCSS doesn't have to designed exclusively around grognard balance, stuff like 'flavor', 'fun', 'accessibility', etc are also part of good game design.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
gently caress all of you, I guess I'll update from .19 because they sound so fun. Are Gnolls in trunk or a special branch hidden somewhere?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sigh, I give up. I've never been able to get loving trunk working with apt on linux. It's like I'm typing it in wrong somehow so it just reverts back to Ubuntu's old .17. Guess I'll just have to wait.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't even agree with it in theory, for the reasons you stated above.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pacra posted:

How to play crawl online via console (ASCII) :
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/howto
How to play crawl online via tiles:
http://crawl.develz.org

I don't like online crawl, for a variety of reasons. I'd rather just have someone explain to me why I keep loving up the apt repositories when trying to find trunk.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

redneck nazgul posted:

Give Formicids the ability to wield GSCs and no shield.

You jest, but Formicids used to be able to do this during testing. It was cut, as it impacted the specialness of ogres and trolls, and their shield apt was buffed to drive their gimmick home. This might be found ironic given the later Ogre M&F changes, but DCSS's history is littered with inconsistent design logic, nature of the crowd-sourced beast.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm assuming Gnolls? A +10 broad axe of speed is pretty much one of the best hypothetical one-handers in existence, it's up to you if can handle the int hit.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Floodkiller posted:

Here's the dev plan for 0.21 if anyone is interested (finally created 22 days ago). Dev pace is still glacial at the moment, so probably don't expect a release soon.

Recent changes on Trunk:
Air Elementals can now cast a mini-Tornado called Vortex. Intended to make them more threatening than the fast weaklings they previously were also it's secretly a fan of gales buff but don't tell the dev team that. Due to this, Sojobo now has rWind to not instantly die when summoning air elementals, and rWind is now displayed in the monster description screen so you can see if Tornado and Airstrike won't work against a target.

The Cloud Mage and Halls of the Hellbinder wizlabs (as well as the Hellbinder itself) got revamps to put them on par in difficulty with the other wizlabs, but also got increased quality of loot to compensate.

My local version of crawl is .19.5, didn't even know .20 was out. Not that I particularly care, but I decided to take a skim of what they have planned:
-Removal of monster respawns, increased initial monsters with some awake
-Gui improvements regarding 'training targets' (?)
-Don't call Gnolls Gnolls, and also why is strong nose in the game (thankfully gammafunk's arguing against all of this)
-Wand stacking/merging. Remove scrolls of recharging.
-Swamp revamp via removal of frogs etc and stronger plant theme, new water generation
-Removal of Player Ghosts being discussed
-Removal of Food being discussed. Regardless, new UI for autoeating
-Council God still not good enough to add

All in all, it's really reinforcing the stereotype of streamlining the GUI while trying to find what can be cut. Also, as other just mentioned, those bigger reformation projects seem to be abandoned husks =/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

FulsomFrank posted:

How many people lamented that [item destruction] removal and are begging for its return today?

Me, for one. I miss it, I thought it was good tension, rewarded careful play, punished ppl who hoard consumables instead of using them, etc etc. I miss it. I also play cogmind, so...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

No amount of balancing can make item destruction fun because it's fundamentally bad.

A lot of RLs have item destruction and degradation, and I actually can't think of any one that I've played extensively that doesn't have the mechanic. Nethack (albeit briefly), Powder, DCSS, Brouge, Sil, and now Cogmind. I won't defend Nethack and I barely touched it, but otherwise DCSS is the only one that has people with a stick up their arse about the game effecting their equipment. Honestly, a lot of the song and dance about it encouraging poor behavior is probably due to how in Crawl there's a very large aspect of being "Safe and in Control". We have cleared out areas, that when combined with a food clock that's easy to sidestep with sustenance rings, result players trying very hard not to step outside their comfort zone and risk having negative power progress. So having enemies that dare to damage the player in a way that's more than trivially transient is considered horrendous.

I'll state it again, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with Item degradation/destruction, but DCSS's philosophy regarding player behavior, "optimal play" (lol), etc is what's at fault.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Floodkiller posted:

-Scrolls of recharging have been removed; they mainly existed (from a development standpoint) to provide more wand charges for capped wands without forcing the player to carry around multiple duplicate wands.

See, I would never have seen it that way, and I'm sure many players are would agree; I used them to buff the wand I valued most, from invis for lowlvl stabbers to teleport/healwounds for lategame tanks. That feels like they're removing player autonomy and calling it progress. Also rods, but lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
InternetKraken, you might agree with the dev's mentality, but not everyone plays exactly that way. I used invis wands on stabbers, or used disintegrate as anti-hydra, or spammed dig on the rare occasion. I never even *considered* recharge as a replacement for carrying a 2nd wand that I want. I'd just carry the second. It's not as if they have weight anymore!

• Locked thread