Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I still can't believe it happened

I can't stop smiling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Gonna miss you so bad, grandpa

I remember literally a year ago when every Cubs fan here was screaming for Ross to get shot into a cannon, because his OPS+ in 2015 was like 40 or something like that and he just had a terrible, terrible year.

And then he rebounded to be actually pretty good. Way to say goodbye, old man. :unsmith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

Meh. I think Heyward will be fine.

Looking at how this dude approached the season still playing elite defense, still 100% focused, still running the bases well. Still grinding, regardless of how loving inept he was on offense.

I severely doubt next year he's going to come back being unable to hit a goddamn 93 mph fastball.

I'm in the same boat. Heyward had a rough year at the plate that wasn't helped at all by those injuries to his hand and wrist early in the season. It's not like he forgot how to hit just because he came to Chicago. He didn't suddenly transform into Corey Patterson, for heaven's sake.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bugsy posted:

WSCR is replaying a slightly condensed radio call of the entire 10th inning right now.

http://player.radio.com/listen/station/670-the-score

I wish Len Kasper had gotten to call that game.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

:sigh::hf::sigh:

He did get to call Javy's opposite field shot in the 5th at least.

I had a job interview this morning and the guy I interviewed with told me that his sister is married to Len Kasper.

I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RC Cola posted:

Someone help me think of a caption please. And thanks for the code!

Zo Cubs Zo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

It sounds like changing the QO is the players' number 1 priority after all the usual stuff (major league minimums and super 2 qualifications, for starters).

The only issues Tony Clark has publicly spoken about bringing to the table in CBA talks is a 154-game season, revamping the QO system and potentially doing something about service time gaming (which is a difficult beast, since minor leaguers aren't part of the MLBPA). Manfred immediately shut down talk of shortening the season unless the union would agree to an across-the-board pay cut, but I think both sides see things that can be fixed with the QO.

They need to get something worked out soon, though, since the CBA expires at 12:01 a.m. on December 1.

quote:

What's weird is that the QO is a much bigger gambit for teams than arbitration and it potentially hurts teams less than the old A/B compensation system but for some reason it's hurting players more than the old system.

The problem with the QO, as it exists today, is that while it really has no effect whatsoever on star players -- last year, for example, no one was going to give a poo poo about surrendering a draft pick to sign Price or Greinke -- it does have a tendency to substantially soften the market for mid-tier guys. Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales are two notable recent examples, and even this year Dexter Fowler didn't have a team until spring training because he had the QO stench on him and his 2015 bat was pretty much the definition of league-average.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

How many teams have we seen with massive payrolls that haven't even made it to the WS? Not to pick on the Dodgers but I mean come on.

Cubs had the seventh-highest payroll in the league in 2007 and lost 96 games.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Explosionface posted:

I don't think you have the right year

Sorry, 2006. Still lost 96.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That being said, though, Montero's always had a lovely arm and an average bat at best (and the Cubs signed him at a time when pitch framing was the new nebulous hotness), and no one expected Contreras to come up with the on-base skills and defensive abilities that he did. I'm sure it stings, Montero, but you kind of sucked for most of this year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bad boy in the boy band posted:

How long is Miggy under contract?

Free agent next year. Prior to Schwarber shredding his knee he was projected to be trade bait this coming offseason, but the Cubs are deluding themselves if they think that fatass can stick behind the plate now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

And, coincidentally, Arrieta and Montero are going to hit free agency at the same time.

It would be kind of hilarious if Arrieta demands that Montero be his personal catcher as a condition of signing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm looking for my old copy of MVP Baseball 2005. I think I might be getting sucked back into this sport. :ohdear:

I just wish there was a more current game on PC.

The death of MVP Baseball was sad. Take-Two / 2K Games was pissed about EA gobbling up the exclusive license for the NFL / NFLPA, so they forked out a poo poo-ton of money to get the exclusive third-party license for MLB ... even though 2K's MLB games had been dogshit for ages upon ages. So EA had to resort to a few years of NCAA games and finally stopped doing baseball games because they went over like a wet fart in church, sales-wise.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CubsWoo posted:

Wow. Shocked that they would decline the option considering they have to pay him $2m to buy him out (so basically 8M for a year as the 5th starter) so either he's more hurt than they let on or they have other plans in mind

I've had a thought in the back of my mind for a while that he's got off-the-field issues. (That potato chip thing was just absurd.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Here's an article arguing for neither Dexter or Almora. Put Schwarber in LF, Heyward CF, Zobrist RF, functionally replacing Dex's bat with Schwarber's. Also gets the bonus of Javy getting to start every day at 2B. I guess Soler gets traded or cries in a corner or something, the article doesn't mention him. Alternatively I guess he could be platooned with Schwarbs against lefties but eeeehhhh

That's not an article, that's Steve Rosenbloom typing up whatever he felt like barfing into the sink this morning.

Christ, I hate him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Pat Hughes is among the finalists for the Hall of Fame's Ford Frick award.

Of course, Hawk Harrelson is also up for the award, so this doesn't seem very credible.

Aren't like three or four of the Frick finalists voted upon by fans through the Hall's Facebook page?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

:agreed: Maddon did a fantastic job managing expectations in the clubhouse and keeping the young talent focused, but Roberts squeezed 91 wins and an NL West title out of a team of corpses and took them to the NLCS where they went down swinging to the eventual WS winners.

Going to the NLCS won't have any bearing on the result. Ballots have to be submitted before the first game of the postseason in order to count.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CubsWoo posted:

Man this alternate timeline stuff is creepy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kTA-v6q_L4

I guess someone in the truck found out a way to put Chip Caray's mute button on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

I'm wondering if they overspent last year and now have to cut salary for this year (Hammel and Fowler).

Epstein was saying all last winter that Tom Ricketts allowed him to basically cram two offseasons' worth of spending into one last year because they knew this year's free agent market was going to be dogshit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

How much is Fowler expected to get? I'd rather have him than Jose if the prices are even remotely similar

Probably 4 - 5 years, I'd expect the asking price to start around $15-16 million.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Would make more sense to me to remove the QO and basically assign compensation picks to teams that lose FAs, but these would not be actual assigned 1st round picks.

Wasn't this basically the system that existed before the QO, with Elias Sports Bureau's rankings determining the placement of the pick?

Edit: Anyway, if the QO really is going away, that would be a pretty big win, although I wonder just how much the players would have to give up to put that thing back in the bottle. Michael Weiner really was a spineless piece of poo poo.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 15, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

a neat cape posted:

Lol how does someone from a last place team win MVP.

Worked for Andre Dawson in 1987.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

so I don't think they're keen to spend too much this year unless they absolutely have to.

I mentioned this a few pages ago -- Epstein's been very clear that the Cubs did two offseasons' worth of spending last year when they sprung for Heyward, Lackey and Zobrist, and Tom Ricketts signed off on that spending because Epstein made the case that this year's market was going to be absolutely terrible. They are not going to be players for big-ticket free agents this winter.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

St. Dogbert posted:

Reports are out of potential CBA strife.

I can't imagine they won't get it done. I mean, what kind of third-rate bush league would come off a terrific season where the longest-suffering franchise finally won the big one in a series everyone was watching, look poised to enjoy a major surge in popularity across the continent, and piss it all away on a meaningless work stoppage? That sort of thing seems like it would tank the league's public image and reduce revenue for decades to come, not to mention cause animosity with the union that would result in more, and worse, work stoppages in the future. No major league would be ridiculous enough to actually do that, right?

Right?

Rob Manfred was Selig's point man in the 1994 strike (in which the owners' stated goal was to break the union) and in the previous rounds of labor negotiations, and before he started working for MLB he was a partner at a law firm that basically existed to crush unions. I've been worried about this ever since he was promoted to COO.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Keep in mind, also, that Segura seemed really, really, really broken for a while after burying his son.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

chilihead posted:

Just off the top of my head why wouldn't the Cubs trade a package with Soler as the main piece for 2 years of Cutch?

Because the Cubs have been saying for the past year that they're not spending money this offseason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The CBA has been signed for 5 years but the specifics are unknown so far

Rosenthal said that an idea floated a few hours ago was a spending cap on international amateurs (meaning pro leagues like Japan would be excluded), which seems like something the Steinbrenners would be giddy over.

Edit: Rosenthal says they're still working out some pretty big details like draft-pick compensation for free agents.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 1, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rand alPaul posted:

Everything Boras said about the Pirates being a cheapskate organization is true.

Back when I was in high school, like 1997-98ish, I thought Boras was one step down from Satan.

Nowadays, I fear for where the MLBPA would be today without the work of him and Don Fehr.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hand Row posted:

What does that mean luxury tax maxes out at 210?

Drastically slows the growth of the luxury tax threshold, meaning that in the final year of the deal, any club with a payroll over $210 million would be paying the tax.

Sounds like something the Steinbrenners, Rickettses, Dodgers ownership, probably Henry's group and maybe a few other big spenders that might have a window closing five years from now (and therefore might sign absurd contracts in the next year or two) would fight for.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah I'm no expert but the more I read about this the more it sounds like a deal the NFLPA would have accepted rather than the MLBPA.

You have to remember that it's been a very long time since the MLBPA has had a strong leader. While Don Fehr didn't officially leave until 2009, he had basically checked out at least a year prior to that (he had been unofficially advising the NHLPA for quite some time, believing that a work stoppage was inevitable), which left Michael Weiner running the show, and Weiner was a completely spineless shitlord who essentially did whatever the rich veterans told him to do, which led to some truly moronic poo poo like the union rolling over and allowing the QO system to be created. I was skeptical of Tony Clark from the beginning, simply because he doesn't have the negotiating or legal background that a guy like Fehr or Dick Moss would -- sure, they've got Dave Prouty as general counsel but it's not the same thing -- but this CBA negotiation was always going to be his first real test, and as more details come out, the more it seems he did not exactly pass with flying colors.

This is a CBA that Marvin Miller would have tossed on the ground and pissed on in full view of the owners, Lou Brown-style.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

So can Beltran play the outfield at all anymore?

It's really a coin toss. His knee issues are degenerative (I believe he's had multiple surgeries on both) and he had significant issues with his left knee during the summer. He might still be OK, but he really projects as a DH more than anything.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

The deciding vote that puts Selig in the hall is, in a complete coincidence, cast by Sud Belig.

Considering that the biggest black marks on Selig's tenure are the All-Star game / home field advantage bullshit, the contraction scheme and the shell game that blew up the Expos and got Henry owning the Red Sox (I really put the strike on some of the hawk owners and Rob Manfred more than Selig), it really isn't hard to make an argument for him to be in the top tier of MLB commissioners.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Didn't Schilling famously steal taxpayer money in Maryland?

Rhode Island.

Julio Cruz posted:

Rhode Island, he set up a game studio with a massive loan from the state government then defaulted on it when the studio went under. There's no question he's a tremendous rear end in a top hat but on stats alone he's certainly got a reasonable HoF case - 200 wins, 3000 IP, 3000 Ks, career ERA+ of 127, CY runner-up three times (to Johnson twice and Santana), 6 ASGs, 3 rings, 80.7 career WAR.

The other thing about Schilling is that you can make a very easy argument for him being the best postseason pitcher of all time (it's either him or Mo Rivera).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Schilling should be in the Hall of Fame but I also understand why a baseball journalist might be reluctant to vote for the guy who supports lynching journalists.

I guess I get tired of writers bringing up the character clause when the BBWAA still considered child molester Bill Conlin a member in good standing, and a decade ago the Hall of Fame convened a special Negro League committee with the pretty explicit purpose of putting Buck O'Neil in ... and then that committee wound up electing seventeen people, including a white owner, but leaving O'Neil out.

I also have to laugh at every writer who brings up Schilling's win total as a knock against him (well, I laugh at writers who give a poo poo about pitcher wins in general, but that's neither here nor there). He spent basically a decade on some truly, truly terrible Philadelphia teams, so of course his win-loss record took some bruises.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

This has nothing to do with the hall, but I got to meet Buck a couple of years before he died and he was just as awesome as any article you've ever read about him. 90 plus years old and he'd sit there and shoot the poo poo about baseball with anyone for as long as you were willing to listen.

Ernie Banks was the same way. Dude just loved to talk about baseball. He would randomly pop into Chicago bars and just start shooting the breeze with people. I ran into him once at Melnick's in the River North neighborhood and he was one of the most incredibly laid-back individuals I've ever met.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Who was that Dodgers pitcher who suddenly got way better when Maddux began calling games from the dugout for him?

Billingsley?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

seiferguy posted:

ESPN has almost always hosted the HRD. Joe Buck is employed by Fox.

Buck's Fox contract only has another couple of years on it... :tinfoil:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Your Taint posted:

Wasn't that Thom, his kid? Or did Marty do them too even before that?

I know Thom and Steve Stone did the middle innings when Harry would go over to the radio side.

That was Thom. Marty Brennaman has been with the Reds for his entire career.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Len Kasper and Jim Deshaies signed three-year extensions with the Cubs. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CubsWoo posted:

Considering his ability with the bat I think he more than makes that up with the ~100 extra AB those games would allow.

I still think Cubs fans heavily overrate Schwarber's bat. He's an on-base machine but he's consistently proven that he can't hit lefties at any level above A ball.

• Locked thread