Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CubsWoo posted:

Lonnie Smith

Yes I know the Pretty Good video

Yes I know he probably lost it and didn't get deked, either way that baserunning is enough slop in a 0-0 game to equal last night

Man, just no based on this metric. There were so many terrible plays and decisions last night that they show up one really awful decision. And most of them were on the Cubs side, it's insane. I honestly can't remember a deciding game anything close to this.

As for which game 7 was 'better' I have no opinion because jesus christ it'll take me like 2 months to process what I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ajkalan posted:

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/11/03/game-7-was-the-most-watched-baseball-game-in-15-years/

"Seventy-one percent of all people watching TV in Chicago had Game 7 on. Sixty-nine percent of all people watching TV in Cleveland were tuned in. Nice."

lol

Is there a way to look this up by city? KC radio today was saying some ridiculous amount of local TVs were on that game (I want to say they were claiming 71% but surely they didn't tie Chicago per capita).

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The 2013 Blackhawks parade was on a weekday and 2 million people still showed up.

KC's was definitely a weekday, I want to say Wednesday?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zwabu posted:

So there must have been teams who made it to the World Series with only one dominant ace on their pitching staff before, who have tried the games 1-4-7 double short rest thing.

Has it ever worked out with the ace getting three wins?

Depends on how you feel about pitching before they lowered the mound. Found this, which says 12 pitchers have done it with the last being Mickey Lolich in 1968, which was the year before the mound was lowered.

Glancing through the article it looks like 6 or 7 of those came before 1920, and a couple of them came when it was a best of 9 series.

e: Ah here we go

quote:

An interesting thing to note, of course, is that by 1920 there had been eight three-game winners. In only 17 World Series! In 62 Series since then, there have only been four such dominant pitchers. Why have things happened this way?

A tempting explanation would be that prior to 1921 several series were played under the five-of-nine format. This certainly helps account (postponements were also a factor) for what happened in the 1903 World Series when both Bill Dinneen and Deacon Phillippe won three times and a third pitcher, Cy Young, won twice in three decisions. But Stan Coveleski in 1920 was the only other hurler to capitalize on this circumstance.

Three other pitchers also were artificially aided in their quest for World Series glory - Wood, Faber, and Brecheen who all picked up one of their three wins in relief. This leaves only six pitchers who have won three times in starting assignments in World Series competition played under the best four-out-of-seven format. Four of these, Babe Adams, Lew Burdette, Bob Gibson, and Mickey Lolich, won theirs in do-or-die seventh games. Christy Mathewson and Jack Coombs somehow crammed their three triumphs into five-game series. Coombs was given vigorous batting support, while Mathewson came through with an unparalleled three shutouts. Both, of course, won in the days when starting pitchers normally finished what they started, each pitching well over 30 complete games in their big seasons.

They go on to note (amongst other reasons) that the playoff format can screw pitchers out of even having a chance to try this. If your ace is having to pitch game 7 in the NLCS he's not going to be able to start game one of the World Series.

Oh and Jesus that's an old rear end article huh? 62 series since 1920, be nice if there was a date thrown on that so I knew I was reading something from 1982. I'm fairly sure no one's done it since 1982 though.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 4, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Oh and Jesus that's an old rear end article huh? 62 series since 1920, be nice if there was a date thrown on that so I knew I was reading something from 1982. I'm fairly sure no one's done it since 1982 though.

Oh Randy Johnson did it in 2001 but as noted he was a reliever in game 7.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Curt Schilling did it in 2001.

Curt started 3 games, Randy got the third win in relief in 2001.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Wait I'm dumb I misread what the conversation was about.

Never mind me.

Well actually it started off with Zwabu asking if starting 3 games with an ace had ever worked out and gotten 3 wins, and that definitely did work out in the end for Arizona so it's at least half an example of what he's looking for. Just a different ace came into the last game later on and ended up with the official win, it isn't like Schilling was bad at all in that series.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pancakes posted:

Lolich didn't start game 1, 4 and 7, if memory serves. Gibson won games 1 & 4 that series and pitched a complete Game in 7, losing on an error from Curt Flood in CF I'm pretty sure. Gibson was the last pitcher to successfully start and win games 1, 4 & 7 in a world series, 1967.

For what it's worth, Bob Gibson pitched in 3 World Series, pitched in 3 games apiece, averaging 9 innings in each game. He pitched 3 complete games at 9 innings apiece in 1967 and 1968 and pitched 8 innings in Game 2, 10 innings in Game 5 and 9 in Game 7. In his World Series career he was 7-2 with a 1.89 ERA. He was the '64 and '67 World Series MVP and would have been the MVP in '68 had they won Game 7. There's a reason they call them the "Gibson Rules".

I should have mentioned that about Lolich, I looked it up at some point when I was messing with that stuff. He started games 2, 5 & 7, which is almost more impressive. Pitched a complete game in all three too.

You're right that Lolich wasn't the best pitcher that season on Detroit's staff, Denny McClain (who started game 1) was the Cy Young winner that year and Lolich was just a guy, his regular season wasn't impressive at all.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CubsWoo posted:

Why is that guy bitching about spending when in his own loving example the Cardinals went from a $110MM payroll in 2012 to a $115MM payroll in 2013

Uh...this is not a particularly good criticism of that ridiculous piece.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sydin posted:

It's a surprisingly lovely hand for the MLBPA to accept. Why raise such a stink about an international draft but then accept such a hilariously low hard cap on international amateur spending? The modified QO also doesn't feel like nearly big enough of a concession in exchange for how the new luxury tax rates will gently caress with willingness to offer big contracts.

Yeah I'm no expert but the more I read about this the more it sounds like a deal the NFLPA would have accepted rather than the MLBPA.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Your Taint posted:

If you don't love a fat guy that mashes huge dingers, you're not a baseball fan.

Hell, I love a fat guy who at his best was nothing more than a doubles machine.

Soler's interesting, I don't think the Royals have had a guy with his projected power since like...Bo. I'm sure I'm wrong there, and more sure that he'll never actually reach that potential, but drat have the Royals hated home runs for basically ever. Gonna miss Wade a lot though :(

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

He's gonna need to at Kauffman I have been assured again and again by the Royals while Steve Balboni holds the franchise home run record at 36.

Now I've made myself mad again. How the gently caress do you not break 40 at any point during the steroid era?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh that's right, you do it by not even attempting to compete and figuring out the draft by making your highest priority after the first round "will this guy sign for 1000 bucks?"

I'd obviously never give it back but goddamn David Glass winning a world series is a loving travesty.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Regardless I don't want the Astros to give up that much for Quintana

*hugs his team's prospects*

This made me look up the more prospecty guys the Royals gave up for a half year of Jonny Cueto and drat they're awful for the Reds so far (although there's plenty of time to turn things around). John Lamb in 24 starts has a 6.17 ERA. Cody Reed has 10 starts and a 7.36 ERA. Brandon Finnegan's been pretty good though and it'd be nice to have him around with the current staff.

Just nowhere near as nice as a WS championship.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rand alPaul posted:

Here I've drawn Napoleon as Wahoo. I have the new logo.

This doesn't look anything like Nap Lajoie :colbert: Even if he was the original Frenchie (except really good at baseball)

I think explaining to everyone why they were called the Naps is the main reason that name is out.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CubsWoo posted:

- Shut out 4 times in the playoffs, most ever by a championship team (and possibly of any team)

I randomly heard the stat after the last Cubs shutout in the postseason, it's happened 4 times previously if I remember right. Obviously the other three that I've forgotten happened after expanded playoffs, but the 4th one was the 1905 Giants.

They shut out the Philly A's in every win in that World Series, the A's actually won game 2 with a shutout of their own. But that just let Christy Mathewson pitch another game. He went CGSO in games 1, 3 and 5, the other shutout was Joe McGinnity in game 4 who also went the distance.

e: Oh it's from the other direction than you were thinking. The Indians pitched four shut outs in the playoffs but not all against the Cubs. Yeah unsurprisingly the Cubs are the first team to actually win doing that as far as I know, but I guess the Philly A's at least tied them for shutouts in the postseason.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 17, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh if that's right I must have heard it after WS game 1. I could have sworn it was at the point when all the Cubs fans here had given up...

Which was probably game 1 :v:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Julio Franco's career really was something.

It wasn't something all that great, but the man just lasted forever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It always stuns me when I remember Jason GIambi played seven years after his stint with the Yankees. He just fell completely out of my personal awareness unless I actually saw a picture of him or something.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Timby posted:

and a decade ago the Hall of Fame convened a special Negro League committee with the pretty explicit purpose of putting Buck O'Neil in ... and then that committee wound up electing seventeen people, including a white owner, but leaving O'Neil out.

This has nothing to do with the hall, but I got to meet Buck a couple of years before he died and he was just as awesome as any article you've ever read about him. 90 plus years old and he'd sit there and shoot the poo poo about baseball with anyone for as long as you were willing to listen.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I think comparing someone who uses straight up hate speech to people who were disliked because they were gruff is really disingenuous and to claim its a slippery slope is pretty ridiculous.

Yeah I was waiting to hear what Ted Williams did that was on par with Schilling's Schillingness and if that's all there is...

Your Taint posted:

Schilling said something stupid that he absolutely should not have said, and he's an rear end in a top hat with repugnant ideas and pretty much a shithead of a person. But he did not cheat on the field (that we know of), did not gamble on the game, and a case could be made to put him in looking at his numbers. I'm on the fence with his career stats, but I wouldn't hate it if they put him in, either.

It's also worth noting that you're comparing a guy who you yourself claim is borderline maybe being hurt in the vote to a top 2 hitter (at the time, arguably now) to ever play the game. It's not exactly apples to apples.

Barry Bonds was a jerk to the press too and would have no trouble sailing in if steroids didn't exist. If all Schillings comments do is make people look harder for reasons to not put him in...well those reasons are there to find.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 5, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

They should just hold a raffle/contest for a fan or two to announce the HRD. It is the definition of low stakes and could be a lot of fun to see some morons do it.

If I won it would just be a series of bleeps on all the big shots since my reaction is invariably 'holy loving poo poo.'

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Someone tried that.....nobody showed up and Ron Washington was a stud.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_Professional_Baseball_Association

Paul Zuvella posted:

47 year old Bert Campanaris stole 17 bases lol

I am very sad this league wasn't around for Rickey Henderson.

Er, change that wasn't to isn't.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Exodor posted:

Royals fandom is melting down over this trade. I dont get it. Dyson is a 31 year old speed guy with a career OPS+ of 85.

Fan favorite for an underwhelming pitcher, fans gonna be fans.

Seems like a fine but meh baseball deal from what I can tell.

e: Well maybe, is Karns inning count because he was shipped up and down to the minors or has he been hurt a ton?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I guess one thing I'm not looking forward to is Bubba Starling hitting .100 when he's called up to play center for a month or two whenever Cain goes down with his yearly injury.

But hell, Karns also has 3 or 4 years of team control left and from what I read in the last few minutes he's supposed to bounce back from last year. It's possible the Royals win this trade easily if he's actually healthy and that happens.

e: Oops I forgot all about Billy Burns. Poor Bubba is stuck with his poo poo bat in the minors forever.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 7, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

Apparently he didn't, but he played some center for the White Sox and he was still pretty chunky then.

Kirby Puckett's the only CF who was chubby right off the bat that I can remember.

Man it sucks that we can't look back on his career and think of him as a funny fat guy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

If they weren't able to get 5% (Lofton got 3.2, Edmonds 2.6%, I can't find what Posada got), I don't like their chances of getting 75% in 10 years. Even the real slow movers who got in like Blyleven and now Raines started much higher, and Blyleven got in when they were doing 15 years and not 10. Who started with <10% and got in on the writers vote?

I was reading the complaint more about the current glut of players because of the whole steroids deal, even guys who use all 10 of their votes have to leave off players they might have considered if there were space to. Posnanski left off Vlad this year and he absolutely loves him.

There obviously aren't enough voters like that out there to actually get a guy like Posada into the hall and I don't think he deserves to go, but it does feel weird that he didn't stick around a few years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Posada played catcher for most of his 17 year career with an OPS+ of 121 and lead a loaded rear end Yankees team in WAR twice

Yeah he's not a hall of famer to me but position/rings/the Yankees make him at least a slight surprise to fall immediately off the ballot.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

IcePhoenix posted:

Jorge Posada was bad at defense and Pudge was the best defensive catcher in baseball for a decade

I don't think anyone other than maybe one of the Yankees guys is arguing Posada's a legit hall of famer.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

will_colorado posted:

This was in the related videos for those of you too young to remember the Albert Belle corked bat thievery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC6abVMozbI

Everyone here knows about it for sure but the pine tar video comes up after that, and Gaylord Perry trying to steal the bat while Brett is going crazy is the most perfect baseball thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rand alPaul posted:

I'm guessing the Tigers stumble out of the gate and sell like crazy during the season, you can pick up your JD Martinez rental then.

I'm already preemptively angry about the Royals being 10 games out of the wild card behind however many other teams at the deadline and refusing to trade Eric Hosmer for whatever is available because they're still 'in it.'

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I missed the news until late in the day, :rip: Yordano. He was a hothead and never really figured things out as much as he should have but goddamn did he have a lot of talent.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bawfuls posted:

Good point. They could use another quality starter/longman to pick up the slack on days Duffy is starting but isn't on.

I get the joke you're making but this is legitimately not a bad idea if he hasn't actually figured things out, because when Duffy isn't good he will waste pitches like no one's business. He doesn't give up a ton of runs so you obviously have to take him out, but you look up after 4 innings and see he's thrown 100+ pitches.

The hope is he's matured out of that but....let's just say I'm still worried about him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This loving world.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Your Taint posted:

The Royals are.off the hook for $20 million if toxicology reports come back positive.

Yeah I saw that. It'd be really nice if they'd kick some money to his daughter either way though.

And by really nice I mean it'd be a shame if they didn't.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Isn't the Royals owner a grinch?

Oh for sure he is. I'm just hoping. She oughtta be alright anyway really if the people running his estate are cool...but...yeah. I worry about that, a trust fund for some amount from the Glasses for her would be a really nice gesture if they don't end up paying out the 20 million.

Your Taint posted:

How long do those usually take?

I think I saw they expected it in 30 days? Might be a country specific thing for how long these usually take, I have no clue.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

IcePhoenix posted:

The main problem is that if you're adding a scheduled doubleheader it has to be on a Saturday or the owners will have nothing to do with it. You might be able to get away with one on a weekday during the summer, but it would probably be a fight.

I don't know, it could feasibly work on Sundays. But those are generally getaway days even when the teams don't have a Monday game so it doesn't seem to help much. I guess you could give guys a day off on Thursday in 4 game series, but owners will definitely want to keep the entire weekends as days where they have games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Gee I hope y'all got in on this before they sold out.

Somewhere Darren Rovell is writing what a beautiful thing this deal was.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 25, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

lmao that's the most disingenuous portrayal of Cubs posting and the response to it

Oh God Rizzo's in the lineup? Better fire Maddon, this series is over.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Aw, I was hoping he got another horse that doesn't know how to walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I clicked through for the full quote, it's still pretty tone deaf but slightly better I guess?

quote:

"Quite frankly it was manageable the minute he got here last year,'' Steinbrenner said at the quarterly owners' meetings Thursday. "He was great. Look, he admitted he messed up. He paid the penalty. Sooner or later, we forget, right? That's the way we're supposed to be in life. He did everything right, and said everything right, when he was with us.''

• Locked thread