Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

My first thought was that the M's weren't confident about Walker's health problems going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Didn't the Rockies basically do the same thing last year with the Parra signing? They got him thinking they'd trade one of their outfielders for pitching help, but of course that totally got rid of any leverage they might've had, so they ended up settling for that very meh McGee-Dickerson swap.

Any sort of offseason strategy for the Rockies not centered around acquiring Good Starting Pitching seems moot.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Losing Jansen would be sad. "Pedro Baez, Closer" is a very melancholy prospect. Conversely, not paying a reliever $80 million+ while getting a #13 pick (if he goes to the Marlins) would be cool and good. IDK.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

You don't get the Marlins pick.

Who does, then?

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Comparing a 13 pick to one of the best players on the team smdh

The main point of comparison was the "$80+ million" part. If they can swing it financially without getting too out of whack with new CBA rules or jeopardizing a JT reunion, then yeah, do it please.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The Adam/Drake Laroche saga: still unbelievably hilarious.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Yeah I suppose I am. I'm glad my preferred team will continue to employ a good player. We have a relative lack of Dodgers posters in SAS these days and sometimes I overcompensate, sorry.

Posting to help offset the void of Dodger fans in SAS, and to say that I am quite pleased with the continuing Dodger-ness of Kenley Jansen, Justin Turner and Rich Hill :glomp:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Boof Bonser posted:

TBF Dusty Baker might well use a reliever for 200 innings next season

The Nats also did throw more money at Jansen, only to be rebuffed, which is indeed quite :lol:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Everything I've read suggests the Dodgers are willing to give up JDL and more, just that Minnesota also wants Alvarez/Bellinger, which is a no-go for LA.

I feel like it'll get done eventually but maybe not till mid January or so.

Will bump dis when JDL, Walker Buehler and Willie Calhoun make up the eventual package.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 28, 2016

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I can't help but think that JDL being pushed so hard as the Dozier centerpiece screwed with his perceived value. Shades of what happened with Washington's failed Sale package. Makes it that much easier to trade a guy if he's been very obviously written out of team plans for the past two months.

As for Forsythe, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that we were going to a get a proven right-handed bat to fill the hole at second base, and (beyond Dozier) he made the most sense. Kinsler would've required an extension and thus wasn't going to happen. Profar and Solarte would've cost more than Forsythe. I truthfully don't know much about Cesar Hernandez. Beyond them, you're left with like...Kolten Wong, Chase Utley, Josh Harrison, Brandon Phillips, Enrique Hernandez (in-house) etc as possible replacements...no thanks.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I guess I haven't paid close enough attention since the NLCS, I didn't realize Alvarez and Bellinger had moved past JDL in the prospect rankings.

Yeah, he has dropped off in esteem. I don't think most people see him as more than a potential #3 guy with a #2 ceiling. Alvarez and Bellinger are the ones to keep, especially with A-Gon possibly about to fall off a cliff. However, it is odd that JDL + some combination of prospects aside from those two weren't enough to get Dozier. I guess the FO is serious about holding onto the Brock Stewarts and Walker Buehlers of the organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Just giving their roster a cursory look, couldn't the Braves end up being somewhat decent this year? Pitching looks messy, but their 1-8 isn't bad at all.

• Locked thread