Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I've almost reached level 70 and I am reaching a point where I am having actual fun playing the game. It may have been the patch or it may be just switching up my playstyle from my former favorite (infiltrator with single shot abilities) to Engineer Explodabonanza, or it may be that since I've played the game before I now know to just zone out when doing tasks. Or just that I'm ignoring planetscanning now. Completely.

It feels like there's a reason to invest in every skill tree at the higher levels, since there are bonuses in some of the trees that work passively so you don't have to switch up your abilities any. I'd still love to see just a single more ability at least past the 3 you get without switching, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Besides being a bit too long and having idiotic shouting by your sibling and the big bad for the entire thing, the final fight in ME:A is probably the best final boss in the series, closely followed by ME 2's reaperbaby.

I mean that isn't a difficult thing what with there just being 4 games but still.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Honestly I wish the Geth had just sent out the AI and we got to play as cool robots instead of boring old humans.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

precision posted:

Pathfinder Armor (all pieces) give DR.

Krogan planet best planet:

The only real way of defeating the Krogan, an infinite supply of gingerbread cookies.

Edit: And yeah, Drack and Vetra are my absolute favorites and I bring them as often as I can, when I am not bringing Jaal for the loredumps. They have great banter and their discussions about being makeshift parents are pretty great. You end up just wanting to hug Drack and tell him stuff is gonna be ok.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 3, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Is the guy teaching those kids how to fight in the third image or how to dance? I hope the latter.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I know. Don't ruin the dream.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pick posted:

From what I hear, that is relatively competent for a manager in the video games industry.

Well, most managers are extremely harsh on themselves in that business so managing to get them to accept that maybe all they did wasn't complete poo poo and it isn't their fault they aren't prescient is quite an accomplishment.

And beyond a few quite obvious projects very little work can ever be called useless. The problem with designing games is that you're supposed to always be doing new things , so you have to experiment while still following a schedule, meaning sometimes you get an almost instant hit that everyone likes and you can move on to the next mechanic, while other times you have to discard things over and over. But mostly you just tweak poo poo to try and make what you have work as intended. In larger companies that is even harder because you have to also convince several departments to do stuff they had not planned or designed for so rewrites of entire systems need to happen for what the programmers or other designers see as no reason (because they weren't the guys doing the testing or they're quite used to how things work and the new stuff messes with their perception of the game).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

A rushed development cycle definitely contributed to the flaws in DA2 and ME3 but Andromeda had five years to get off the ground, so you can't put this one all on EA. It seems like Bioware bungled the project through and through.

To a point. EA are most likely the guys who got the ball rolling on some of the transfers and firings that set BioWare up to be what it is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

JawKnee posted:

christ, I new development on DA2 was intentionally short, but it was less than a year - 9 months! - from announcement to launch

That doesn't have to mean it really took 9 months, in fact I'm sure it doesn't, if that's what you're getting at. I think most of the problems with the game besides the messy and unfinished area design, weird combat and strange quest design stem from the studio experimenting and trying new things which could have worked well, but really didn't.

Then there's the awful characters which I'm not entirely sure how they became a thing.