Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Android Blues posted:

I imagine SAM is a VI, true AI on a Citadel approved mission with this many participants would be fairly bonkers given how much of a taboo it is.

I'm still not sure whether the Andromeda Initiative is council approved or privately set up. Have they confirmed that one way or the other anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Arcsquad12 posted:

Apart from Aveline he is the only person with any common sense in DA2

Varric shows a considerable amount of sense by not caring about the mage/templar poo poo and instead getting sequentially drunk and rich.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Poops Mcgoots posted:

This was a hella dope credits song and I'm kinda bummed me3 didn't have more synth and instead went for an orchestral movie soundtrack.

Faunts are great. And ME3 did get another Faunts song, Das Malefitz. I think Das Malefitz is actually probably better than M4 Part II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BXfUOSk4A8

Hopefully they pull another one for Andromeda.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

One of the silliest bits in CItadel is the look Traynor gives when she pulls out her toothbrush to unlock the Normandy. It's great. Right up there with Joker doing the the robot at EDI in ME2.

It helps that Traynor is definitely the most likeable new character in ME3, and is probably one of the most likeable ones in the series. If she wasn't it would just be dumb, not fun dumb.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Maybe that was just me then. I only played ME3 once, but she's basically the only non-returning character I remember liking.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AngryBooch posted:

You can import your Mass Effect 2 save into Frog Fractions 2 for the true Mass Effect 3 ending now.

The fact we live in a world where a) Frog Fractions 2 is a game that somehow exists, and b) it allows save importing from Mass Effect 2, is beyond my comprehension.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lycus posted:

Did I overlook this? Did the Keep let you set major decisions and randomize everything else, because I remember being annoyed at being asked about every stupid little sidequest that I didn't remember.

Yep. I'm 99% sure you could do that, if you just did Varric's narrated choices portion, and left everything else.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

The Keep has a whole bunch of little poo poo that literally doesn't even reflect any flag changes in game. The point of the Keep isn't to make plot changes and poo poo, it was to acknowledge the fact that someone signed up with/into Origin.
Importing a keep save really just provides nods and mentions and a cameo or two. And I guess if Alistair is a king or a dead person or whatever.

I REALLY don't think much noteworthy changes.

The Morrigan baby choice makes a difference. As does your Hawke choices + who'll be the Grey Warden in the Warden's quest. Beyond that... I can't think of much.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Origins had a better tactics system even cribbed from FF12. Inquisition is just not good at any level. Origins is the game to play if you want Dragon Age. Bin everything else.

I really liked Origin's tactics system. Building characters that essentially won any fight for you without you having to do anything was an entertaining challenge. (The answer was always Mana Clash on the right trigger.) There were good things about the later DA games, but they weren't the combat.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That hot Minecraft money presumably? Suddenly it's the trendy feature and every game throws it in whether it makes sense or not.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Android Blues posted:

I mean, if they released an Andromeda trailer of this calibre set to, I don't know, Papa Roach or One Step Closer by Linkin Park, I'd be satisfied.

I mean, we have reason to believe that this was their last resort.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

exquisite tea posted:

They've got exactly 10 hours of passable gameplay, coming with your $5 subscription to EA Access.

Don't knock the EA access thing. A load of people can pay $5 to tell us whether or not this game is actually any good.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cythereal posted:

Well that was a painfully generic trailer. And of course guy Ryder is the soldier and the teenage girl they're trying to pass off as the female PC was instead a researcher.

Young people can be competent! But I agree, at 22 she'd be at best mid-way through a PhD, rather than already being a real researcher. Unless in the future they don't worry about universities and instead just neurally implant all the relevant knowledge directly into your brain or something.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

fridge corn posted:

this game is gonna be good

My expectations are getting dangerously close to positive.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Number Ten Cocks posted:

2.5 million light years. If thresher maws have a biological FTL capability combined with super hibernation I am...impressed by the environment that evolved those capabilities.

You thought Tuchanka was tough, wait till you see the thresher maw homeworld.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Outside chance, younger sister.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

When do the EA access people get their hands on this? I'm very interested to see their takes.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

...I thought it looked pretty good. The game might be dull as ditchwater, but that trailer made it seem exciting. So job done.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have the exact opposite take on it honestly. I think that a story where you're the colonizers and the conflict comes from the natives not accepting you the way you hoped could, if written well, be really interesting and different. Instead we get this "actually, you're saving the new galaxy from an invading menace" handwave thing

Of course, I wouldn't really have full faith in bioware to write that complicated story very well so I suppose this is for the best

Maybe some day they'll let obsidian do one of these games and we'll get a good story too

Good thing Obsidian's making a game explicitly about colonialism as we speak.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

High level biotic power. Render your enemy 2D.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Collectors are close enough to the Reapers that they'll never be mentioned again. Did the Andromeda Initiative leave pre- or post-ME2?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Huh. The collectors might get a passing mention then. And this:

Flipswitch posted:

Collectors are cooler than the reaper ground forces though

is definitely true.

exquisite tea posted:

Peepee blasting herself in the face mere minutes after her introduction to the game would totally redeem the character, in my eyes.

Peebee is a videogames long con rivalled only by Snake in MGS2.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Zzulu posted:

ME1, 2 and 3 are objectively good games

discuss

They're all competently made. I'm not sure that makes them objectively good, and certainly I don't like them all.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SgtSteel91 posted:

I agree and I've come to realize that what I hated about the ending to 3 was the fandom devouring itself over which ending was the 'best'

You're either a genocide fetishist if you picked Destroy, a dictator if you picked Control, indoctrinated if you picked Synthesis, or a coward if you picked refuse, and that poo poo pissed me off to no end

Genociding AIs is the only sensible option. They're too powerful to be allowed to live. They will render us meatbags obsolete.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

What are people thinking for their first builds?

I'm thinking engineer pet class, Remnant VI, Assault Turret, Invasion. Let everyone else do the fighting for me, but given the love for them here, I'm guessing most people will go for a vanguard-eqsue build?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

a primate posted:

Will Peebee be this game's Jar Jar? Discuss

I think savant Jar Jar without the racist overtones is highly likely.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DoctorGonzo posted:

why waste programmers and QA time making sure the guns are pointed the right way around in cutscenes only obsessives will get bent out of shape over it

They probably genuinely hadn't noticed/it's not repeatable. It's so quick. You don't put out marketing material like that deliberately. I imagine it'll get patched somewhere down the line now they know about it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It's a weird choice, but equalising coverage between the sexes in terms of marketing materials isn't a bad thing. Will it literally just be the same trailer again with the Ryders swapped out?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

epenthesis posted:

Given that equalizing coverage isn't a bad thing, what's weird about it? That they didn't create a unique trailer for Sara after doing like a dozen of them?

It's weird in that it sounds like it'll be the exact same trailer with a different main character. I think that qualifies.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It looks more like ME1 with the mechanics from ME3, and considering that ME1 is the best game in the series excepting the combat, and ME3 has by far the best combat in the series, I couldn't be more excited.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Understandable though. They've hit 1 for 3 over their last 3 games, and some people wouldn't even grant Inquisition as a positive. I liked DA2, but I'll admit it was a bad game. If people were blindly positive it would be unreasonable.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Skippy McPants posted:

I doubt it. My guess is that they'll end up either partially of completely disabled and will act mostly as a moral support/foil between missions.

I think equally likely is that they'll spend the first half of the game recovering, then get sent off on their own mission and join you as a temporary party member right at the end for the endgame, while bringing some sort of vital bit of technology.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

frajaq posted:

Don't even need a week, in 4 days some people are gonna do some beta testing for us :v:

Yeah. I know I want to play this game whatever but if the feedback from goons playing the EA Access build is positive, I'll pre-order for the Amazon Prime discount, otherwise I'll wait for some patches and buy it later. EA Access is good for everyone in that respect.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Deakul posted:

Dad is still a handsome gently caress... drat.

It was the mother's poor genetics.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Nevermind, misremembering the order of events.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 14, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Having watched the very start with a male and a female Ryder now, it's interesting that Sara's written to be much closer to her father than Scott is.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Andromeda seems more Star Trek than Star Wars. Which I tend to think of as a positive.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Yeah you would, childfucker.

Er... I have literally no idea what you're talking about. Do you have the wrong person?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Curses. The secret paedophilia ring of the Start Trek fandom has been outed, and I didn't even know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cross-Section posted:

Mass Effect Archives: Download some faces, and maybe a soundtrack I guess?

On the soundtrack:
+5 points for a neat blend of orchestral and electronica
-10 for the lack of a Faunts-like credits song

Presumably this'll be the Dragon Age Keep of Mass Effect eventually?