Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DarkHorse posted:

I really miss playing Mass Effect :(

Really hoping Cyberpunk scratches the itch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DarkHorse posted:

Indoctrination Theory (aka "No, actually, that didn't happen") is about the only way to salvage the series.

They had a huge, detailed, immersive universe, and they literally blew it up and fundamentally changed it. The only way it recovers is if that didn't happen. Either so long in the (in-universe and real-world) future that everyone has forgotten it or rendered it irrelevant, or that it didn't actually happen.

Just make Indoctrination Theory the canon ending, you cowards! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

Lt. Danger posted:

I can't believe human creative endeavour peaked with the Mass Effect series

It's our Satyricon.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It is known that the geth and all Reaper-assisted technology will die with the Reapers because the Reapers said so and have never been demonstrated to lie or manipulate in any way. :speculate:

edit: i like french fries

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
My head canon is that the people who wrote the codex were going for Indoctrination Theory but the leadership just read that German kid's letter and went :hurr:.

Anywho, looks like ME:A was bad enough to kill the likely reboot prequel featuring Anderson/Saren. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It also might have been interesting to explore the concepts of colonization, empire building, and the cost of encroaching on already occupied lands, but welp! :downsgun:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

orange juche posted:

Blue red or green Jell-O sir

i choose instead to imagine i ate cheesecake

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Odyssey is the best ME game since 2 and Kassandra is a fine successor to Shepard (not MaleShep).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Never played the dlc. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
If it bundles all of the DLC for every game I would pay $40USD for all three remastered in one package.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Agreed. I've been kind of wanting to replay them to be honest, even with all the flaws there's nothing really out there that's similar as far as I can tell

I'm only a couple hours into it, but Fallen Order is a Good Game so far...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Kurieg posted:

The issue with Citadel is that since it, you know, takes place on the citadel, the last chance you have to do it is before you go to the Illusive Man's base, as after that point citadel's in earth orbit.

Which is extra hilarious since that DLC was released way after the game...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Bring Down the Sky for ME1 and then Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2 were really interesting because it was obvious that the devs were experiment with mechanics and gameplay intended for the next game.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Pattonesque posted:

man, LotSB was such a good DLC

I think I ultimately enjoyed it more than ME3: it allowed for a fairly wide degree of roleplaying while also having a logical endpoint due to being an interstitial story.

Also :lol: when Shep shoots the hostage... :jihad:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
...the music when you're talking to Vigil. :allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Arcsquad12 posted:

Recruited Grunt and opened his tank. Grunt towering over Shepard has got to be my favourite image in the whole series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBEZniE-qZU&t=96s

...and then he is 5'9" for the rest of the game. :smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It says everything you need to know about this towering, years-long single-player scifi epic that the most discussed feature almost a decade later is the tacked-on multiplayer...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Just release the remaster and endorse Indoctrination Theory so we can get a 4th game, you cowards! :argh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I think what happens is that the studio becomes so good that essentially anyone who works there can get a job leading a project somewhere else.

It's the gaming equivalent of having a speaking role in Saving Private Ryan: everyone will give you a job. So then there is a diaspora and what is left is probably the people who don't have as much creative vision mixed in with a bunch of fans who grew up on Golden Age Games, leading to decreasing-quality facsimiles. Eventually a big publisher will swoop in to cash in on the failing brand's name recognition while it still has value and run it into the ground.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Arcsquad12 posted:

Finished the Suicide Mission. Ending is still dumb with the baby Reaper.

Legion is stuck building a consensus. I only got two conversations out of him and now he won't talk anymore.

I forget how Legion is barely in the game, especially if Shep saves the crew...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
put femshep on the box and make indoctrination theory canon and i'll give you cowards another 60 bux :argh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
it'll be something even dumber, like not being able to transfer your save across the remastered games and having to start over each game

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Rinkles posted:

A meetup of the ME cast and devs this upcoming N7 day. Maybe they'll finally reveal the remaster?

https://twitter.com/Mark_Meer/status/1322253179195588608

(I was relieved to confirm Hale's not MAGA)

You clearly don't follow Hale on twitter...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Burkion posted:

Her last dozen tweets and retweets are anti-Trump so what are you talking about

Oh, I meant that it shouldn't have been surprising. She is extremely vocal with her vitriol against the US regime.

Her timeline is my point, basically: her being anti-MAGA needed no confirmation. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
ME4 as a prequel starring Saren and Anderson, you cowards! :argh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Mass Effect is, of course, very generic. That said, after completing the trilogy, a player has likely spent more time with the characters of Mass Effect than they have spent with the characters of TV shows. A full-run of ME may run 100+ hours where as :lost: or something similar is only ~80 or so.

It’s not surprising people have such strong feelings when you think of it as a show that went for 8-10 seasons...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah, also they do good banter while rear end is on display. Sometimes you just stare at them during an elevator ride.
:shrug:

Actually, The Expanse had a funny callback to ME’s elevator scenes in season 3!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How the hell are people getting 100 hours out of ME as a trilogy? HLTB tells me I need 40-50 hours/game, and I managed to do everything in about 28 hours of so/game.

I mean, I went full :spergin: completionist and probably spent 80-100 hours on each game's first play through (:woop: save-scumming for dialogue) and >250 for the trilogy. Even at 28 hour/game you'd spend more time with Shep than Tony Soprano.
:popeye:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Unclouded posted:

Didn't they lose the source code for one of ME1's DLCs? Think it was called Pinnacle Station... wonder how they'd fix that. Also interested if they'll fix the triggers for some transfers of info. For instance fixing the Conrad Verner flag for ME2 and saving your choice for the Councilor position instead of hiding it in the stuff Miranda asks you shortly into ME2.

It was just a crappy hoard level so they could probably just remake it from scratch. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Burkion posted:

God you guys remember charging something and then flying off into the sunset or dropping into the void

good times

Kai Leng should have been Jacob. :colbert:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The game the lets you be a spaceracist has questionable morality??? :thunk:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

pentyne posted:

Humanity's richest man started a terorrist group dedicated to influencing galactic affairs to pro Human ends. He was more or less successful by every measure.

Bioware writers definitely had a theme going on in the ME series. The naked pro militarism "humans are the best race on the come up" is just how typical sci fi works. People tend to dislike stories where humans are treated as second class citizens.

I really like the Zones of Thought books for the idea that humanity is just a pointless offshoot that is killed off-the-page...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

TheCenturion posted:

There’s a group of foods that shouldn’t exist.

Delicious and satisfying, but very unhealthy.

Eating this food all the time will result in a variety of health issues, most noticeably rapid and sustained weight gain.

Doctors call it morbid obesity.

Gamers call it.....

MASS EFFECT (sunrise peeks around a fat belly)

The only alternative thread title I would accept.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Lt. Danger posted:

Shepard was always going to die in the ME2 intro, even when the geth were going to be the ones who resurrected them instead of Cerberus

wow why do I keep finding out the series had awesome ideas like the dark matter connection and now this that were just dropped altogether in favor of schlock?
:thunk:

kilus aof posted:

Because the Milky Way is unexplored. And what was explored was mostly not shown in game. Anything that is beyond the characters, Meridian and the angaran can be added more easily to the Milky Way than Andromeda.

Also if Andromeda is so great why bring more Milky Way species?

gently caress it: set it so far in the future that the milky way and andromeda have collided. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

chaosapiant posted:

It’s never that Andromeda was great, it’s that it’s less explored and has more potential. We bring over the other species because 1. That was the original intent and 2. It keeps us rooted in the familiar.

The only way I see the Milky Way working is if it’s like 1,000 years in the future and the mass relays or an alternative are repaired.

But truthfully; I just want a really good game again. I’ll be hoping for something similar to ME2, but will settle for anything nearly as good as DA: I, which I’m a big fan of.

They'll never do it now, but my dream ME4 is a prequel starring Anderson and Saren which ends with Anderson's botched mission that ended his Spectre shot.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

chaosapiant posted:

That’s literally the plot of the first novel.

i only play the games and eat the sandwiches they can throw all the novels into the sun (or turn them into a game) :colbert:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yes it is an episode of TNG, but it's a good one: the one where they found out warp technology is breaking space time.

I guess I'm a nerd, because the idea that organic life is actively bringing about the end of the universe, but something that a civilization would only care about if it were truly immortal is neat! Rather than the Reaper's forced suicide which seems almost religious, there is an argument to be made the culling is :turianass: good :turianass: if it prolongs the life on the universe.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Arcsquad12 posted:

"Gamer culture."

I'd say licking a PSP is tasteless but it is plastic, so...

covid

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

chaosapiant posted:

40 hours into my new Andromeda play through, and I’m greatly enjoying it. I find I’m enjoying the Angara more and more. I’m enjoying the party members and Drack is probably my favorite Krogan, even over Wrex. He’s not an rear end in a top hat and him and Jaal bond pretty quick.

I also read the book Nexus Uprising and really enjoyed it. It does a good job of leading into Andromeda and setting up the important characters there. I actually found I couldn’t put the book down because it starts with a red alert emergency, and just keeps escalating. The book has poo poo pressed to 11 almost the whole time, and aside from one possibly minor but super lovely character, everyone’s motives are relatable and there’s really no bad guys.

source ur quotes

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
We're all just jealous that you got another good Mass Effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

chaosapiant posted:

Is IS really surprising that the remaster isn’t touching multiplayer. I figured that’d be a gold mine and a way for BioWare to earn some more cool points money from microtransactions.

yeah really surprised remastered mp didn't happen since it was the most popular part of me3