Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

No blue check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Give any Arziers this avatar plz

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Pol-tards on fire off the forums of 4-Chan. I watched Kellyanne glitter in the dark near the Wolfblitzer Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to MAGA.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Fock I don't dare wharenien Boosted? I want to crease my mynaproxacot!!!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

“The personal, as everyone’s so loving fond of saying, is political. So if some idiot politician, some power player, tries to execute policies that harm you or those you care about, take it personally. Get angry. The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs, hardware and soft-. Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; the creatures of power slide from under it with a wink and a grin. If you want justice, you will have to claw it from them. Make it personal. Do as much damage as you can. Get your message across. That way, you stand a better chance of being taken seriously next time. Of being considered dangerous. And make no mistake about this: being taken seriously, being considered dangerous marks the difference - the only difference in their eyes - between players and little people. Players they will make deals with. Little people they liquidate. And time and again they cream your liquidation, your displacement, your torture and brutal execution with the ultimate insult that it’s just business, it’s politics, it’s the way of the world, it’s a tough life and that it’s nothing personal. Well, gently caress them. Make it personal.”
― Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Where the gently caress is Boosted? I need an idol to bow down to now!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Whee! Straight gin is way better than I thought!

Also: Jesus Christ Superstar is under-rated as a musical

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Yinlock posted:

i'm worried about the health of poll-master schnorkles

did he fade from existence

did he even exist

Oh duck directly off!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Schnorkles posted:

Good evening friends. Everyone doing okay?

No. we are not ok.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Serf posted:

look into buying an M1 Garand from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Government surplus, possibly one of the best rifles in existence

join the fuckin NRA, get trained and get educated about gun safety, maintenance, etc

it's an American right that is evidently never gonna go away, so take advantage of it

One million times this. Liberals need to accept that gun control is a non-starter. It's not. We didn't do anything after Newtown, it is OVER.

Buy a gun, learn to use and maintain it. Cut the single-issue gun voters legs out from under them.

Gun violence sucks and it's a serious problem but it costs too drat much to keep fighting.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

What happens with the Clinton Foundation now? Serious question, it is a legit good charity and I hope it continues.

Well, Attny General Giuliani has got a number of questions he'd like to ask everyone involved. Maybe take a peek at some emails, ya know? Just looking around. :suicide:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

This been posted yet? https://twitter.com/jonathanpienews/status/796786875126181888

navyjack fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 11, 2016

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Slamhound posted:

But what, exactly, did he offer them?

Change. Is that so hard to understand? We've been calling him the "chaos candidate" for so long...they don't know what he's going to do, but they know it's gonna be different. And they believe, accurately or not, that NOBODY is going to be pulling his strings financially.

He doesn't need anything, he doesn't want anything...he can just do.

If you can't understand this, then you will never understand how he won.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I sincerely believe that if Obama offers to pre-emptively pardon HRC, she should reject it, throw herself on her sword and be Donald's first martyr. She loving owes us that much. If he's gonna be what we dread, I want a big, flashy show trial so that no one has any further doubts what's going on.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Here's the thing.

I don't like the word "protest" for this. I prefer the word "demonstration." We are "demonstrating" that we can put people into the streets. You haven't even done anything yet and I can put 1k people on the streets of LA. You haven't even taken the Oath yet, and we have 1 million people in DC letting you know one thing. Do not. gently caress. With us.

As far as heads getting cracked...sorry, but pushing the state security forces into an over-reaction is also kind of the point. If you're gonna go out, don't count on coming back. You're putting your life on the line to prove a point, so if that point isn't worth getting arrested, hurt, or killed, then stay home.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Serf posted:

well this makes a disturbing amount of sense

also, Jeff Dunham really was an early warning sign for Trump. once we let a ventriloquist become a popular comedian we really were game for anything

Not fair. It's not like he was a MIME, for Christ's sake.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I speak Mandarin more or less fluently and was thinking of heading to China to seek my fortune, but if we failhard, PRC is gonna get it in the neck as well, huh?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Nichael posted:

That Tim Ryan clip on Maddow just now was pretty good. In regards to Donald he said “I don’t mean to be graphic, but this guy to our friends in the trades — to our steelworkers who he’s been treating unfairly, very unfairly — he will, he will gut you and he will walk over your cold dead body and he won’t even flinch.” He seems suitably unhinged to run in 2020.

Yep. I'm sold!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/olivianuzzi/status/799743024523788288

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/800134631467012096. Tense here in the newsroom as Hamilton-gate enters its second day...

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Patter Song posted:

This priest...who is so turbulent, by the way, folks...you all see it too...have you ever seen a guy this turbulent? I had these two knights over for dinner the other night...back from the Crusades, we all support our boys, right? These were decorated Crusaders, I had to let them know their king supported them...so I had these two knights over and I was telling them...it's unbelievable how turbulent Archbishop Becket is, right? He fled the country! He fled the country and now he's back, I don't know, now he's back folks. So I was talking to these knights...let's hear it for our Crusaders! I'm doing great in Jerusalem, unbelievably in Jersualem. So I'm talking to these knights, I tell them that the Archbishop has been turbulent lately. Someone oughta get rid of him. "Who will rid me of this turbulent priest?" Now, these knights...are they here? Can we get a cheer for our boys? They go, they find the Archbishop, they drag him away from the altar, and they finish him off! I didn't ask them to do it! They did it on their own and it's great. It's truly fantastic.

I am stealing this, by the way!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Yeah, I was there all summer and it felt weird but then welcome week came and there were a bunch of drunk 18 year olds being idiots all over the place and I missed the summer. GF lives near the football stadium so that's probably why it can be a hotspot for amateur drunks.

As a Hoosier...anyway, my experience is decades in the past, but yeah, the Indiana school system is (was) pretty good for not being total fuckwads. I remember being surprised as an adult that people were being taught creationism in school in real life.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Am I imagining things or is this...like...not done as a general rule. President of one nation publicly (or privately) lobbying another sovereign state to put his pick in as ambassador? Seems like people would get touchy about that.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

comingafteryouall posted:

Joss Whedon, known for creating the character that inspired the hit adult film Muffy the Vampire Layer

Oh my God! I thought I was the only one who saw that!!!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

deathbysnusnu posted:

The distance isn't so large that it should matter for the reach of a baseball bat.

Nice.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

zen death robot posted:

Yeah being probated doesn't effect PMs

I sent a PM after my first probie because I didn't know what "AOL speak" was

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Fallen Hamprince posted:

if u depend on life saving medication for physical or mental illness than you're completely hosed if the bombs drop, best case scenario you get vaporized and don't get stuck counting down the days until your pills run out and you die a slow lingering death

e: on a lighter note, trump doctor sex cake ed balls

If the bombs drop and my meds stop, I'll probably be better off since paranoia, anxiety, and hyper-vigilance are survival traits on Gamma World.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

UV_Catastrophe posted:

anyone have any cool names for underground resistance movements in the coming neo-fascist era

Sons of Troofhoots

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I just finally realized what happened with the election. America just said, "Here. Hold my beer..."

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

So, in the interest of just starting WW3 and getting it over with, how hard would it be to bait Trump into tweeting a mean cartoon of Mohammed?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

which is nominally what its name was; in contemporary times (2144 AD) it's just a white people version of somalia

If that sort of thing turns you on, check out "The Water Knife" by Paolo Bacigalupi. I think we just entered that timeline.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Serf posted:

all service workers have stories about bad customers

The customer is NEVER right. The customer hasn't been right since it slid slick and bawling from its mother's foul womb and it's not right now. The customer is WRONG!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

mannerup posted:

awaiting the 2017 white house correspondents' dinner

I think the Trump admin has already basically invited the WH Correspondents group to disband. I see him not choosing to go to the dinner.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Noice!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Then in 10 years a Kurd will fly a 737 into Trump Tower

And we'll all say "Why in the WORLD would they DO something like this?!?"

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

blamegame posted:

is everyone here like over 50

Get off my lawn! :corsair:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Oiled and Ready posted:

Not gonna touch the nuclear war thing besides laughing at the idea an elected civilian can actually just launch the nukes if the military disagreed, we had a president with Alzheimer's for God's sakes.

Ok. So here's the thing about that dude. While it is extremely unlikely that Trump is going to wake up from a bad dream in a peaceful world and launch the nukes without the VERY SHORT (remember that) chain between him and the guys that actually push the buttons.

As far as the button-pushers go, forget it. They drill for this poo poo to make sure that the button by God gets loving pushed. A lot of these guys (silo commanders/nuke sub skippers) are both isolated and trained/conditioned to push the button when they get the order. If there's a drill (that you don't know is a drill) and you don't push the button, you are losing your command. I've known some high-ranking officers (and served on some nuke subs FWIW) and they are exactly the sort of steady person that will ABSOLUTELY push that button if so ordered.

So, let's get away from the "bad dream/Kim Jong Un made fun of his hair" scenario. There are two ways that DJT could gently caress up with the nuclear arsenal.

Fast: We are in a very tense international situation and are at DEFCON 2. At this point we are close to pulling the trigger and we are ready to go to war in 6 hours. DJT misreads something (he is THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN MAKE THIS CALL) and we go to DEFCON 1. Aka "Cocked Pistol." At this point, there is one person, generally a comparatively low-ranked officer in between the Tweetmeister and the GO order. This is why "temperament" got pounded on so hard in the election. This is a situation where you better have a clear head and nerves of steel. I am...unimpressed with this aspect of our CinC(elect).

Slow. Honestly, this bugs me a lot too, given the way DJT seems keen on trampling norms. At present, although they have been developed, there is no current standard for using a TACTICAL nuclear device in US warfare, and we have always taken the position that a nuke is a nuke is a nuke and using a 1kt to clear out a mountain stronghold and using a 10mt to vaporize downtown Islamabad are EQUALLY in deserving of overwhelming, unilateral response. I can easily envision DJT authorizing a change in the RoE that would allow a theater commander to use one. This would open the gates of Hell. It would no longer be unthinkable to use these devices in a "limited" fashion, and that, boys and girls, would be the ballgame. If not right away, within 20 years.

TL/DR: Nothing is keeping us safe from DJT killing the world with nukes.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Karl Sharks posted:

can't the VP/cabinet determine the president to be physically/mentally unfit and make the VP acting president?

Sure, but we're not talking about a scenario where he is just frothing at the mouth. It will seem like the next logical step in a series of logical steps.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

I will take the bait and say there's no such thing as a tactical nuke. There's no tactic to respond to it, at least one that isn't the highest protected state secret.

Also please look up the nikes for Jesus story one of the gawker sites did it should scare the poo poo out of you.

gently caress the USAF

What's the impediment to developing one? Nothing technical for certain? I know there have been a number of War College papers written about the use of tactical nuclear weapons in theater.

As for the other thing, if you want to scare yourself silly, read the Wikipedia article about the Cuban Missile Crisis and sub what you think Trump would do, vs what JFK actually did.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Baloogan posted:

any way I could talk u into making a thread about that, with that as the OP?

because drat thats like, extremely my poo poo.

I am a long way from an expert on the subject, and I was a peon aboard the majesty that is our National nuclear deterrent.

I was mostly making the point in response to O&R that the system is DESIGNED to not have a bunch of decision-makers between "GO" and "LAUNCH." If POTUS says GO, then it is gonna happen unless something goes catastrophically wrong. The system is set up so that people can't second-guess the man making the decisions.

For additional fun, POTUS can send that authority down the chain. So, say we were in a conventional conflict with PRC over Taiwan. POTUS could, in the interest of shaving minutes or seconds off our response time, give the theater commander launch authority.

Sweet dreams, motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

You seem like a cool dude so I am trying to engage you in good faith even though ya boy is a bit drunk. But I would imagine fallout making it hard/expensive post war to move forward into is the road block. Keep in mind I'm dumb as hell

The phrase you're looking for is "Area Denial Weapon." It has the dual purpose of blowing the poo poo out of a target, and keeping an unprotected force from maneuvering through it.

I wouldn't know, but I just bet that there is a DOD manual establishing the "safe" rate of travel for, say, a Bradley Fighting Vehicle with personnel in PPE, to traverse a current "hot zone" with "minimal adverse effects to personnel and equipment." It's just the way these people THINK!

• Locked thread