Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Maybe we should denounce racial violence, regardless of who is the target? Just a thought!!!

too bad that's not what actually happens and white peeps that sodomize a black guy with a coat-hanger get off scott-free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Tarezax posted:

Profanity is not registered as valid in most autocorrects I've experienced.

why are we assuming autocorrect would be involved at all? tweets are made with regular computers too. i can see this being a typo

should issue an apology though

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

crusader_complex posted:

If I may:

I've sort of been thinking about the minimum wage increase in San Francisco. They are trying to raise the minimum wage to $15 incrementally over the next few years. Meanwhile, skyrocketing real estate prices are causing middle-class working people to have to move elsewhere (which includes lot of black people, according to the NYT article below). While some of these sort of 'fiscal leftists' are happy to push for this abstract idea of helping out the working people in general, by the time the increase kicks in the only people left to work the jobs are going to be, like, kids whose parents can afford to live there. You can be charitable and assume the 'leftists' are just trying to do what they can, when they can, but it seems a little like "sure, lets raise the minimum wage for the coffee shop workers, after all the black people move away" even if that wasn't intentional. It's a loose association, but I understand a little wariness re: economic policies that are supposed to help "everyone".

I don't mean to try to come in here and minimize the blindnesses of the white left concerning race, so I apologise if I come off like that. The wariness comments upthread resonated with me. Thanks for the good thread, been digesting it today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/21/us/black-exodus-from-san-francisco.html
http://sfgov.org/olse/minimum-wage-ordinance-mwo

TBH if leftists had their way the wage increases wouldn't be in one city, wouldn't be over such a long period, and San Francisco would be more affordable. Unfortunately liberals hold a lot of sway still and stymie such efforts.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Panfilo posted:

Eh, the minimum wage in San Francisco could be $5 an hour and housing prices would be just as bad. Theres a lot of scarcity due to foreign investment, air bnb letting building owners turn their properties into fauxtels and the trendiness of the area to single techbros cuts down on vacant rental units considerably. Popular cities with good weather are always going to be prohibitively expensive, especially cities built in the tip of a peninsula that limits growth.

I wouldn't want conservatives to latch onto the idea that raising the minimum wage is indirectly bad for minorities because it will give them yet another excuse to justify keeping it down by feigning sincerity "no see keeping minimum wage low is good for poor blacks see..."

Don't forget the ordinance that prevents tall, high density buildings from being built cause they would ruin "the charm" of SF. That thing helps feed the gentrification problems in SF

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Prototype 2 was fun and you get to beat up the idiot main character of prototype 1 so I enjoyed it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I played a whole lot of Prototype 2 and I couldn't tell you what the story was. I was having way too much fun dropping the People's Elbow off the Empire State building to read subtitles.

See also Just Cause 2, which was bad to the point of self parody when it came to plot and characterization but also a bucket of giggles.

Why am I blowing up this impoverished third world dictatorship? Just 'cause.

the guy was trying to save his daughter, who'd been kidnapped by the retard protag from the first game

but yeah it was lots of fun just to screw around in

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

KirbyKhan posted:

I just watched Deathnote. Got some poo poo to say, gently caress spoilers nobody was gonna see it anyways. You might be asking yourself why this is getting posted in the Negrotown thread? First, ain't no asian thread, second I watched it with my black fiance, third I wanna talk about this guy:

L, as played by Lakeith Stanfield, is the Moriarty character. He is the lead investigator of the cops, represented by Light's dad (off topic, this motherfucker said some smart poo poo "All units find L, he is armed and dangerous, I never liked the guy"), but is a private investigator because he actually gets poo poo done. The Lakeith was given the direction of being Javert with aspbergers and does well with that material. The "bad guy". But he shows up like halfway through the movie. He was raised in an orphanage built to cultivate a batman level detective. The initiation is 7 months in a crazy room out in the middle of a compound in the county. After his Batman training he was given the only asian actor to play his Alfred

I was vaguely familiar with the source material. Read the wikipedia notes about it around 2008. It's a fun asian story, where a silly devil spirit binds himself to a man (Light Yagami) who then creates his own godhood through overly complicated final destination rube goldberg machines. Fiance had no idea what anything was going in.

Basic rundown of this film is this Light Turner is a scrubby hot topic scene teen who gets the hots for the crazy white girl cheerleader, Mia. In the first scene we see Light attempting to save ol girl from a 19 year old man stealing lunch money from a teenage girl or some poo poo. He inserts himself between the two but beyond that he fizzles out, not willing or able to throw a punch. He promptly gets knocked the gently caress out. He gets detention because the kid did like 15 other kid's homework, idunno, where he cowers from meets out at the first sighting of the God of Death and inspired casting choice Willem Dafoe.

So Disney kid receives, through no fault of his own, a bound contract with a demon that scares the living poo poo outta him. This contract gives him the power to kill any person on earth after doing a fb search of the victim's name. Before he even has his own montage of playing around with the death machine he decides to show it to his one true love, Mia, a girl who only talked to him because he saw the school bully get his head chopped off.

In this film she plays the Lady Macbeth role of telling her man to stab his way to godhood. Highlights of her arc include stealing a page from the book to kill the fbi, telling light to kill his own father, writing Light's name in a bid to steal the book for herself, getting mad that Light wrote Mia's name in the book in retaliation. Each time Light halfheartedly disagree's with her and she rolls right over him. She is a snake of a character and Light gave that crazy ho too many chances. Every single interaction with her on screen led to my wife saying "loving around with them white girls". She is the reason Asian Alfred gets got, so gently caress her.

I'm fizzling out. But basically Deathnote as done by Netflix is the whitest god damned telling of an asian story I've ever seen since David Karadine's Kung Fu. I ain't even mad anymore, they mayonaised up this script so much it would be jarring and impossible to see an asian teen perform in this. Willem Dafoe is the best anytime he is on screen. Only watch this if you are really, really, really high. Edit: The soundtrack was dope.

Wait.... they made light not initially ok with his murder powers? That's like the best part of death note, how quickly light, all on his own turns into a megalomaniac

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Koalas March posted:

I was stoked for Lakeith as L and Dafoe but that's about it. Not surprised they're the best part.

And if you're gonna whitewash Light they should've at least made him attractive, and had him coast on his white privilege to get away with being Kira. they could've actually told an interesting story about the white megalomaniac (a Dylan Roof type figure) which could further complicate his relationship with L but that would be too interesting I guess.

I'm really bummed they hosed up the source material because I remember really digging Death Note when I was younger.

edit: and sorry about the lack of an Asian thread. You are welcome to start one or keep posting here as long as you're down like these gentlemen:

This is what struck me a lot about Kira in JJBA. Most media will portray their villain as evil by making him bugfuck crazy, or a disheveled minority, or just weird looking in general. Hell, even the killers in seven or silence of the lambs are only superficially normal. But if you stripped away Kira's serial murdering tendencies he could be the protagonist of any number of stories.

I really like that he is p much conformity the villain and it's one of my favorite parts of JJBA part 4.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 1, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Dexo posted:

like manga Misa was much just a Yes, master. I will do whatever you tell me to do master. While Light did not give a flying gently caress about her.

That is way more offensive to me than Mia's character. But I'm not female so I dunno if that's just me.

there are ways to do misa better without turning her into the reason light is a monster

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Dexo posted:

Sure there is. Tons of ways you can handle everything but what does it matter one way or another. It's mostly executed well and I love it.

This movie very clearly is not trying to be a direct adaptation. Light Turner and Light Yagami are not supposed to be the same characters they outline that at the start where Ryuk has to tell LT to use the notebook, while LY does it with no goading.

http://kotaku.com/what-we-mostly-liked-about-netflix-s-death-note-1798503211

These better writers than me pretty much sum up my feelings on this movie.

I just don't making misa/mia into a cliché as old as the Bible is an improvement at all

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Koalas March posted:

This should probably go in the OP

http://www.theroot.com/five-rules-for-black-cookouts-and-life-1798706295

Phone posting so no quotes but drat

quote:

Don’t be selfish: Only two deviled eggs per plate. If you want more, come back for seconds. Or do what I do: Eat one, put one on the plate. Eat one, put one on the plate ...

i was about to freak out cause i love deviled eggs, but i can live with this rule

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

xthetenth posted:

So do I. So do most of us. Give everyone a fair crack at them.

i'll just bring lots of deviled eggs so i can pig out and so can everyone else and we're all happy

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gaunab posted:

The firing of the L'Oreal model is being framed badly. The way the headlines are stated made me think it was going to be something like her siding with Nazis and not speaking out against systematic racism.

i think that's on purpose since the original publication that called her out was the daily mail

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the main character's design kinda reminds me of loran cehack

not that that's a bad thing cause i love loran cehack, he's the best gundam protag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

anyone keeping up with tamika mallory being removed from AA flight? heavy posted an article where they quoted entirely unsourced stuff from "another passenger who wishes to remain anonymous"

https://twitter.com/susanswann99/status/920345145379315712

claiming they have video, but they haven't released it yet. imo, smells like bs

• Locked thread