Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I think that reparations number is lowballing.

It should be at least as much as was wasted on the F35.

So about 2 Trillion dollars invested in homes and education for POC. Taken right out of loving Wall Street because of how much money that particular institution has scammed POC out of just in the last few decades.

Thats my idiot white person suggestion, but I suspect even that is still lowballing.

Edit: There really should be a study done just so we could see how depressing the restitution required really is.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I thought somewhere a report was drawn up that showed that the wasted military expenditures of the last decade could house/educate the entire US population for the next twenty years.

If that actually exists and isnt a fever dream of mine, it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt to a reparations study.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The fairest solution would be just to give people of color the keys to the country and we collectively get on our boats and gently caress off back to Europe.

We don't get to bail until we fix the mess we made.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Panfilo posted:

Her video was really cool and gave me some tools to use on racists in Facebook. Getting somebody to answer honestly the question of "Are you angry at the problem, or the people pointing it out?" and I agree with her that talking about race is a taboo subject in a lot of white families. Much like how talking about wages is taboo, and not surprisingly its the white people who barely make a dollar above minimum wage who are the most strident opponents of raising minimum wage.

My reaction was more along the lines of "Wait, something worth watching is on MTV?! Why isn't that getting more attention after decades of MTV being stuff not worth watching?"

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

botany posted:

Pretty sure that's just straight up misogyny. Asian women tend to be smaller than white women on average and have a reputation for being demure and obedient. Pretty much every guy I've ever met who was a little too into Asian women was just a huge rear end in a top hat about women and basically wanted a real doll for a girlfriend.

I have literally had a skeevy coworker use those words to describe why he likes dating Asian women (except throw the words "self cleaning" in front of "real doll for a girlfriend" for extra :gonk: ).

Jesus Christ people are terrible.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Serge Painsbourg posted:

I just have to say sorry that white people voted in Trump. I hope you all stay safe through this shitstorm.

Same here. I voted for Hillary but it wasnt enough.

God damnit, America, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The Shortest Path posted:

I am so, so sorry that white people are terrible. Please be safe.

:same: speaking as a whitey that voted for Hillary and failed to get her elected.

If there is to be an actual uprising against Dictator Trump, I just hope I have enough warning to take my family and go hide somewhere so I'm not mistaken for one of the enemy.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Koalas March posted:

I also want to add that I'm seeing a lot people saying "WHY DIDN'T MINORITIES SAVE US FROM OURSELVES"

Which is bullshit, because gently caress you, instead of telling your racist kin to gently caress off at Thanksgiving you just came here and posted "welp that's my family can't sever because that'd make me an rear end in a top hat" or "can't sever because what if I get excluded from *insert racist group here*".

Y'all had 100+ years to tell your kin to gently caress off and you didn't, and this is what your hand wringing about lower class white "economic anxiety" got you

Okay, I know we're about as rare as I-don't-actually-have-a-good-comparison-for-this-but-pretend-one-is-here, but what about those of us that *have* severed contact with family over this and who *did* vote for Hillary/against Trump (same thing really, gently caress everyone that "protest-voted" for third-party/mickey mouse/whatever)?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Koalas March posted:

There's a reason the KKK collapsed after Superman mocked them.

Yeah, we really need more Stetson Kennedy types (the guy responsible for said Superman radio shows that put such a hurt on the KKK, in case anyone didn't know).

Thing is, I don't know if there are that many people around today that can stand to do lip-service to infiltrate the groups and then turn around and write parody scripts for superhero programs where they get mocked and hosed over in the "hearts and minds" war (or who can get away with doing so long enough to make a difference given how easy it is to internet detective every detail of someone's personal life).

EDIT: Oh hey, I earned a custom title. Neat.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
For some reason I was thinking that Racist Tree short story would be relevant, but it looks like the only way social progress will actually be made is if the children chop the loving tree down and use it to build something better.

For reference:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Samantha Bee's monologue yesterday seems pretty on point https://youtu.be/s1SaD-gSZO4

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WampaLord posted:

Well, GBS and /pol have invaded D&D.

What in the actual gently caress happened with white people?

The multi-generational campaign to brainwash poor whites into working in the interest of rich whites worked?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What's up with your username

He may have posted in the same thread I did before I got mod-renamed to the name I have now.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

negromancer posted:

Until you submit evidence of giving the Stone Cold Stunner to at least 5 racist white people you know or 1 racist family member over 65, you are banned from black southern culture.

For topical reference, here is that time that was done to "Donald Trump" on the whitest of white trash entertainment.

EDIT: I don't see how that would actually stun or hurt anybody though. Maybe sprain their neck or something.

Maybe a "spear" or "Peoples' Elbow" or something.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 10, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Farecoal posted:

collared greens!!!!

The most shameful typo.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

negromancer posted:

Nah, if we're really gonna take it there, it has to be an RKO.

I was trying to think of something that could be done on concrete with minimal injury to the person doing it, since they'll have to probably do it a few dozen times.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

negromancer posted:

Razor's Edge fits that pretty nicely.

The ol' Jackhammer is probably safer.

http://i.imgur.com/ZLMw78F.gifv

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

sean10mm posted:

Obvious answer for this thread is Koko B. Ware's ghostbuster. :ghost:

https://youtu.be/bsAKXB8nubA?t=3m51s

Kill whitey by lifting him into a stalling vertical suplex... then spiking his skull into the ground.

Probably best to just keep it simple and use Rocky Johnson's Johnson Shuffle.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

remusclaw posted:

Just use a piledriver. You break the fall for your rear end with the racist's head, it's win win.

Yeah, but then you might end up with dentures in your rear end crack.

Ew.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

visceril posted:

Don't watch the news. Where I work there is a TV constantly droning CNN very close to me, and it wasn't until this weekend that I realized that hearing that garbage was having an real effect on my psyche.

I was angry and depressed all week, and really felt like myself only when removed from the bullshit.

:same:

Far too much rage fodder in pretty much every single news station's broadcasting when it comes to anything that isn't one of those "please adopt these rescue animals" or whatever on the local channels right now (and those are depressing for totally different reasons).

EDIT: I'm going to put this poo poo behind spoiler tags because just typing it out pissed me off again this morning and if people are just now starting to feel better I don't want to ruin anyone else's week.

For deciding whether to read it anyway, it's about the election and voter suppression and how nobody is investigating it (or even willing to call it what it is because the sheer numbers are horrifying).

I mean, there were some posts circulating around the various bits of the Internet I read this weekend about how the votes that went Republican this time around were within a few percentage points of the same level in the past three elections (2008, 2012, 2016), but the number of votes that went Democrat dropped by nearly 30%.

Looking at the number of popular votes cast, not the electoral votes.

~69.5million for Obama in 2008 to ~66million for Obama in 2012 to only ~59.8million for Hillary in 2016.
~59.9million for McCain in 2008, to ~60.9million for Romney in 2012 and ~59.6million for Trump in 2016.

Huge, clear leads for Obama in the last two election and then the Electoral votes running in line with that because 10 million or even 5 million votes is harder to handwave as an Electoral victory possibility than .2 million is this time around.

Meanwhile all of the stories are about how many people opted to vote for Trump against their best interests and no effort is going into figuring out just how much voter intimidation/suppression is going on because while the racist/sexist surge is a problem, it doesn't explain everything on it's own.

Also there is way too much time spent on some effort to handwave the intimidation/suppression away as "People were too confident in the forecast polls and stayed home" or "So many people are disgusted with both parties they stayed home" or even that stupid "If Bernie won the primary things would be different" which is loving stupid.

It's tempting to say "well, clearly there were huge swathes of the population that just stayed home that would normally have voted" but there were tons of clear messages of encouragement in the news leading up to Election Day to have people at the polls to intimidate PoC voters.

Plus you had what essentially amounted to promises of being able to get away with it from press releases out of the group that monitors elections saying they didn't have enough staff to go to every state and watch out for voter suppression ("please report it if you see it and we'll do something about it, we swear!").

Also holy poo poo I might as well not have a Facebook anymore after purging the idiots that were circulating that dipshit meme about "Where were the riots when Obama won?" (forgetting all about all of the post-sports-game riots white people have whenever their favored team loses, much less the actual poo poo white people pulled after each Obama election that gets under-reported).

So yeah, that was my weekend getting upset over lovely news stories.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
EDIT: What was here is currently gone until I figure out why the spoiler tags weren't working.
EDIT2: Apparently the quote tag breaks spoiler tags, so to be clear, I didn't write this, this was a PM sent to me by another forum poster.

"I wanted to give you a heads up that your numbers are wrong. In the wake of the loss a cottage industry in explaining it sprung up overnight and a lot of them either do not understand how voting is reported or are willing to lie to their readers.

Vote counting is still ongoing. Clinton is likely to have a final vote count of several million more than Trump. Trump will have received more voted than Romney and third party candidates will have received roughly 7 million votes, all of which ignores undervotes(No preference filled in) and spoiled ballots in the Presidential race. The crux of all this is that any argument relying on reading the margin or turnout figures right now is working in the dark with unfinished figures and is intentionally overestimating their case thereby to make it sound more solid.

I would highly suggest, if you're interested in looking into turnout breakdowns for explanatory power, that you wait atleast until Nov 29th when most states post their final figures. In the mean time Cook political report is reporting the new figures as vote totals are updates.

http://cookpolitical.com/story/10174"

My original complaint about under-reporting of voter intimidation/suppression still stands. It's absolutely terrifying the direction that the media-narrative is taking regarding the protests and trying to normalize Trump being elected.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 14, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Taerkar posted:

Is it just me or are the salty red titles getting worse?

I saw some pretty bad red titles over the weekend, but the really bad/unfair ones got replaced with normal avatars again pretty rapidly.

I mean, holy poo poo somebody has some terrible things to say about Koala's March and Tiny Brontosaurus that they'll pay to put in their custom title instead of in a post they can get banned/probated for.

EDIT:

Okay, I just got through watching the John Oliver video about the election and he actually put forward some very good ideas for things that can be done (donating money to specific groups that fight against all of the bullshit Trump and Pence campaign on, for starters) that aren't wringing hands and being upset over it.

Here is the video link to the time where he actually starts talking about solutions vs. summarizing how hosed up things are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSDUsMwakI&t=1128s

I especially like the idea of donations to these groups in the name of racist relatives and saying that is their Christmas present this year.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 14, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Morby posted:

Jill Stein gives tacit approval to 9/11 Truthers, anti-vaxxers, and a whole host of anti-science rhetoric. And she does all of this while making millions of dollars investing in oil, coal, and other industries she rails against. And yet Hillary is the shill.

Also a coworker of mine that I think I'm also gonna have to unfollow shared a post from someone she knows basically calling people out for white privilege. I said that I agreed and that Steve Bannon is basically a White Nationalist and it terrifies me that he'll be Chief of Staff. I was told that I am just afraid of conservative values and opinions. FML. Why do I even bother?

More people need to be shown/made to listen to her terrible singing voice the next time she tries to run for office.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

For the folks following at home, that particular tumblr has more than a few broken links in it if you're on the regular website, so here is a link to the archived version that was saved on the Wayback Machine on March 17th of this year (fair warning, if you go to the beginning of the blog and work your way back to the most recent posts things take a decidedly grim turn as the author starts writing about the ever-increasing horrible poo poo they are encountering).

http://web.archive.org/web/20160323014657/http://racismschool.tumblr.com/archive

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

negromancer posted:

No, they need to be forced to listen to her rap.

That's like, 10x worse.

Are there any videos of this, or is the "Indigo Girls fronting Red Hot Chili Peppers" from when John Oliver talks about it (first search result I get) basically the most accurate description?

Or are we talking about the same thing, because holy crap is it terrible.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Put the words "speed" and "ocean liner" close enough together and I can't help but think of Speed 2: Cruise Control.

Wait, people actually watched that movie?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

How fast did the ship have to be going?

Just LOL at the Wikipedia entry for it.

quote:

De Bont came up with the idea for the film after he had a recurring nightmare about a cruise ship crashing into an island.

Movie ending spoiled right off the bat.

quote:

The film's soundtrack featured mostly reggae music. Mark Mancina returned to compose the film score, which was released as an album 13 years after the film's release.

:drat:

I don't know what's funnier, that backstory for how they came up with the idea for the movie or that it took 13 years for the movie soundtrack to be released.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dreylad posted:

Phildaelphia's Poet Laureate Yolanda Wisher's A Letter to the President-Elect and to All of US

One day I will learn to avoid reading comments posted on any article that has a message worth reading. :smith:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Koalas March posted:

Would you like to read that racist tree parable?

Probably getting to be time to get more biblical and start pruning the loving tree.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Panfilo posted:

I thought it was the white kids that were grossly over diagnosed by their parents as a smokescreen to hide the shame that these white kids, for all their role models, support, and safety, might just be lazy and dumb. Then the parents get to insist on all these accommodations for their golden child that conveniently only the 'struggling white kid' seems to get.

A lot of it depends on the district and the demographics. Like, the area where I went through Elementary school was literally nothing but white kids, so the kids that got put on Ritalin (this was in the 1980s, when it happened to me) were the kids that were lower-income that didn't behave well once they got bored with the rote memorization assignments.

The progression seems to go: Any minorities first, then white kids from lower income families, then anyone leftover that didn't "behave". Adjust as needed to meet some mysterious medication sales quota if not enough kids in the primary target area are present. I guess if you were the rare case that actually needed Ritalin it benefited you, but in my case it hosed me up until my family moved to another district and I ended up in a school that didn't push it so hard.

This was also back when, if you were left-handed, you were taught to do everything right-handed anyway and actually had points taken off of writing assignments if you did them left-handed (because apparently being left-handed back in the 1980s was like, I don't know, being devil-possessed or something).

So schools literally fight to enforce "normalized" behaviors on students. Everyone Do What Your Told or whatever.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Holy poo poo they were doing that in the eighties?

Yep. I was/am naturally left-hand dominant, but whenever I do any hand-writing I have to do it with my right hand because that's how I was taught to do it.

I know it's a huge thing for a lot of people and there is this odd group of people that hate left-handed people for whatever reason, but in my case it ended up being this weird off-balance ambidextrous thing.

EDIT:

I didn't get the surprise at first.

FactsAreUseless posted:

American education reforms are pretty patchwork. A bunch of states still allow corporal punishment. States' rights!

State of Georgia 1980s system here. Things are/were hosed up for a very long time.

Corporal punishment was still a thing in the district where I went to high school right up to 1999 and is still a thing as far as I'm aware.

Hell, there was official/unofficial bullying by my teachers because I was a kid growing up in a household where my parents got divorced (same district as the Ritalin district I went to). poo poo like turning a blind eye to the kids that bullied me over it and actual loving school counselors saying poo poo like "You shouldn't be surprised that the kids here hate you, your own mother doesn't love you" (she left me with my dad when she bailed and later got an official divorce).

The thing that terrifies me when I think about it is how much loving worse my life would be if I wasn't white.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 16, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
What group is supposed to wear Nunn Bush shoes, because those are fairly comfortable

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Google tells me these are square-toed IT guy shoes. Good news: You have chosen the appropriate footwear for your goon status. Bad news: You are no longer cool enough to post in blackthread.

The ones I wear are round-toed. :confused:

I will admit they are probably nerdy as hell though.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Talmonis posted:

Jesus, my shoes are New Balance for normal use and Nunn-Bush for work. And I'm a father. I even listen to Bruce Springsteen! I've become the living definition of "White dad." :stonk:

I need to do something before I start liking Macklemore and yardwork.

God damnit, I checked and my not-work tennis shoes are New Balance and the Nunn-Bush shoes for work as well. No kids and I'm not crazy about either of the artists you listed, but I enjoy yardwork. :gonk:

I need to get better shoes.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Doctor Butts posted:

Something From Kohl's

99% chance those are Nunn Bush shoes.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Talmonis posted:

That is the dumbest goddamn comment. I don't entirely see the need for a "black netflix" (as opposed to demanding better curated sections in Netflix, Hulu & Amazon), but sweet Jesus does "white netflix" sound like the most pointlessly racist thing.

The marketing for it really needs to list the things available for watching that aren't available on other services.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

the white hand posted:

Somebody did but they shot him in 1968

What's the over-under on someone thinking you're talking about Andy Warhol and not the person you're actually referring to here?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Samovar posted:

Well, I wasn't even aware Warhol got shot...

It comes up in Google results prior to the assassination that matters when you search "Shot in 1968".

You have Robert Kennedy first, then Andy Warhol, then only the very last result on the first page being MLK Jr. (maybe even being pushed to the first result on the second page depending on how many results load when you run the search).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

1stGear posted:

"Justice" based on vengeance is still bad, even when it's against mass murderers.

Reminds me of an old book I have from one of the early American Prison oversight groups (forget the name, but they don't exist any more under the name the book has on it) from some big conference some time during the early 1950s where the chairman of the group had this big speech talking about the dangerous shift in thinking regarding prisons where instead of being places where actual debt to society and rehabilitation occurs, prisons are instead becoming places of punishment.

It was right up there with that Electric Company comic Judgement Day in terms of being shocked at the apparent cultural dissonance between what was in the book and the way people think of the prison system. The fact that the group no longer exists/was subsumed by the big industry that Prison is now probably just confirms all of the fears that were in that book though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Koalas March posted:

That was Legends, written by Kreisberg iirc. You know it was him because much like how Stein tells Jax to "use his natural athleticism", (except without the hint of irony) it involves the white characters telling Jon Stewart he's "one of the good ones" or something like that

It actually plays out like

Jon - "It's an honor to fight beside you sir."

Racist JSA member - "The feeling is mutual. You're a credit to your people, son."

Jon (lagging behind a bit processing what was just said to him) - *scowling face* "Uh, thanks..."

The storyline ends with the racist JSA sacrificing themselves to save Jon and the rest of the Justice League (because it turns out their whole reality was some kind of psychic projection and they weren't "real" anyway, so they might as well go out fighting to save the "real" world).

• Locked thread