Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hi hello I am black and I have an important black question which is:

Where is the Rick Ross diner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Asimov posted:

Pretty sure Matt Groening said it was http://www.ci.springfield.or.us/

e: or maybe that was just some newspaper article, but nothing matters

The Simpsons live in Springfield, North Tacoma (NT)

And in other cartoon news more relevant to this thread, Skeeter from Doug was black.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

To a black woman, I'm still a black man first and foremost, and they have a wildly different cultural upbringing than white women, so my income or career path isn't really a motivating factor when it comes to dating. White women, it absolutely is. A man in his late 20s already making 6 figures is a catch for a white woman in corporate America, and my race for a lot of them becomes secondary.

Also, white women have ZERO shame in the workplace in my experience of approaching men and going after what they want, though black women culturally are still stuck in this mindset of "a man must come to me and recognize my greatness", though that gameplan statistically will not work in their favor whatsoever.

Hey uh kill whitey and all but I'm really not comfortable with characterizing women of any stripe as gold-digging. And I don't particularly like that stereotype of black women either - that's some hostile poo poo black men say after they get rejected. Let's not gently caress up the intersectionality game here. Women are people.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

Not saying they are gold-digging, I'm saying they have different priorities due to upbringing. A LOT of my white women coworkers grew up in homes with a dad that worked and a mom that didn't, or a mom that was able to not work during their formative years and could sustain on a single income.
There's also this reaction, and that's because a LOT of black women talk about how they have ZERO interest in white men for a multitude of reasons.
Naw maaaannn, this is some "I just meant black culture" poo poo. Please don't. Women are people and you are not a woman so don't tell women how they are. "Black women care more about a man's height than his wallet" what? Women are people, they care about what they as individual human beings want in another person.

If we can't talk about the minefield of interracial dating without getting into sexist stereotyping maybe we should drop it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mind over Matter posted:

Thank you for this explanation. I had heard about the gorilla thing in passing, but did not know the child was black or that so much sprung up around it. I had no idea that dicks out for Harambe was an alt-right thing, but I am glad to be educated on it.

I was a holy terror as a white child and it's probably just luck I never fell into anywhere deadly. I can't imagine pinning childhood energy-idiocy on race. :(

The kid was 4, iirc, and a big thing the internet harped on was that he had allegedly told his mother "I want to go in the gorilla cage" earlier that day. So a lot of childless nerds waved that around as damning evidence because they have no idea how much random poo poo kids that age say literally every moment they're awake. Also the mother committed the terrible sin of having multiple children.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Talmonis posted:

Body image issues are a common reason for low confidence, particularly in dating. If it sounds like I'm saying that it's a primary factor, that's not what I intended and I apologize if I was offensive. But, I do think it's something people think about when considering dating someone for the first time. People are shallow, men and women both.

This is way outside the scope of the thread and honestly I don't want to get into it too much, but broadly women don't think about men's bodies the way men think about women's bodies. You can see that in the diversity of straight womens' "types" vs. men's, which tend to converge on a socialized ideal woman, and in the rare media that is made from a straight women's perspective to arouse straight women - the men at the object of that aren't the loose collection of body parts straight men's erotic depictions of women are. To generalize, just because men might think of a woman as an rear end or a pair of tits doesn't mean women think of men as a dick.

And man don't come into Negrotown asking about black dicks anyway. C'mon, you know better.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Talmonis posted:

Sorry, I'm gone.

If you interpret every time KM makes a funny joke as "get out" you're gonna miss all of KM's funny jokes :colbert:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tempest_56 posted:

Speaking of old USPol posts, there was one back in September (I think?) going into some of the details about hair and the culture/stigmas/etc behind it. That was actually really enlightening and I'd love to learn more about that. There any good sources?

Chris Rock's doc is a really good starting point, and a lot of the writeups in black media about it have authors and commenters sharing personal experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-4qxz08So

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

How else could you even say it? Bee-oonce??

This reminds me of how my mom insists on pronouncing memes the french way "memms." God mom that's not how it's pronounced, jeez.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

djw175 posted:

How have they never heard it pronounced before?? :psyduck:

In the black community we call this the "white substitute teacher" experience.

"Teeny Broonosie?"
"Present, but uh, it's pronounced Tiny Brontosaurus."
"Tony Brandlezorro?"
"Tiny Brontosaurus."
"Tommy Prontohoroscope?"
"...yeah, you got it. Thanks."

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

I'm not telling women how they are, I'm telling my experiences and the experiences of other black men.

What did everyone keep saying in that shitshow of a QCS thread? Don't Double Down. I'm a woman, I'm telling you what you're saying is sexist. Please stop. We shouldn't have to fight about this.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

Crazy white people, saying names they way they're spelled...?

If it's supposed to be pronounced like Dee-Anthony, it make more sense to spell it DeAnthony or something. It's not a matter of "the names are unconventional," it's that they are written in a way that doesn't really correspond with how they're pronounced. Other names that begin with D' use the apostrophe to indicate elision. On the other hand, doing it more than once after being corrected is a major rear end in a top hat move.

Beyoncé, on the other hand, it spelled exactly the way it's pronounced, and even uses an accent to clarify that pronunciation.

PT6A I know you are pretty incurably Like This but you can be Like This in some other thread because all us black folk got rounded up in this ghetto and I'll be hosed if I'll let you pull your poo poo in either of the all of two threads we're allowed to post in now. You don't get to tell black people you know what's best for them.

For anyone who read the QCS thread, this is another good example of the borderline poo poo that's impossible to request mod action about without just drawing heat on yourself for being a crazy negro whining about poo poo for no reason.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

No, not really. Because almost every single black person with a D' in front of their names pronounces it as "dee". Like, all you have to do is have a passing interest in football or basketball (which like 1000000% of white people do) to have heard these names pronounced correctly a million times. Or you just have to know an italian person, who also pronounce their poo poo that way. The only people pronouncing D' as having no inflection to it at all are loving french speakers.

You're one of those fuckers who call the Goa'uld "goulds" aren't you?

PT6A is a racist who likes to browbeat minorities for being "wrong" every time he doesn't understand something and you can expect to see quite a bit more of his work now that he's found this thread.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

You're right. I'll ask you why in the PMs and we can have a further discussion if needed.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

Thread, allow me to share this with you, from the bowels of *chan /pol/. I wanted to :smug:, and also note that I am diamond-hard at their rage. It has already begun. It might be an opinion poll, but I'm treating this as a fappetizer for the tears and mad to come.

Be advised, they say the n-word so fair warning

:gizz:

Hey since we're in the early days of this presumably historic megathread, can we get consensus from the black posters on posting stuff like this? I love to laugh at awful racists as much as the next person, but I could see this easily sliding into PYF Reminder That Black People Aren't Human, and I don't want to get to a point where I feel like I can't risk clicking on this thread when I'm having a bad day

In general I find my well-meaning white friends sometimes trot out racist stuff just to get my reaction to it, kind of a common-purpose "wow we both agree this is awful right? Remember I'm on your side" and I know no offense is intended but I don't think they get how exhausting it is when that's just the world you live in. Like, racism isn't really a novelty for us, so it's not always fun to look at even if it's just to laugh at the racists.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not even saying "don't post it," just like, let's talk about what we feel about it. Let's rap.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks for posting that. I'm sure nobody wants to wade into "trigger warnings" and summon a million hi-larious goonbros, but maybe a good rule of thumb is whether the thing you want to post can foster deep discussion, or just prompt everyone to go :gonk:

So like, someone might post some pictures of Sinterklaas and his cheerful slave buddy, and that's pretty enraging but it also opens up a discussion of European racism (and how they all sniff that that's "an American problem" ugh), but just Fratboy Wears Blackface #9083 might not have the same potential.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Help. I can't live in this reality.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm going to die.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man KM and gf both got their own black threads. I gotta find some corner of blackness I can make my own.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mixodorian posted:

Why have white rear end cities like Seattle and Portland made Columbus day into Indigenous people day, but New York hasn't?

New York is really big

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

The Black Dinosaur Herbivore Thread: I Voted Giant Meteor What The gently caress Is This poo poo?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Black creatives? Black film nerds? Black Didius Falco fans?

It's hard to remember being any of these things or liking anything at all. :smith: What could possibly matter now?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zelder posted:

so we're seeing a rise in hate crimes

And that's extremely bad!

i think it will eventually die down as white america remembers that their guy won, and they should be happy

but then I think things are going to get really bad when those manufacturing jobs don't come back (because they were never coming back), and trump stumbles around for a perfidious "other" to blame his failures on. I think that'll be when things get really bad. So...let's say 2018.

What no. Their guy won, which means their long national nightmare of minorities being alive is coming to an end. Things have gotten worse and they are going to stay worse. You WMs all think no one could ever really be that bad, that everyone's a good person deep down. They agree, but they (and you) don't tally hatred of minorities on their moral scorecards. They want us dead and they're going to get it.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nobody's been run out yet. I hope anyone here who gets toxx-banned re-regs.

"Nobody's been run out"? Dude we're posting in a literal black poster ghetto

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zelder posted:

tiny brontosaurus if you call me a white dude one more loving time i swear to god

quit posting like one then idk.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zelder posted:

i'm trying to talk about how i'm scared for my future via the rise of hate crimes in america and you say that i'm posting like a white guy

okay.

Dude, I don't keep a list. I have avs off, I don't remember most forums names. People are always posting at me like I should remember them and I mostly don't, I'm sorry. Unless you're exceptionally memorable, good or bad, all I ever have to go on is the post right in front of me. You think white people will get less hate-crimey because they won and I don't. That's okay.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Mandingo posted:

Hello black friends! As a progressive white guy who was raised in the south and enjoys black southern culture, how can I enjoy it in a way that best shows respect and avoids being accused of cultural appropriation?

What's up with your username

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So many people define good personhood as "kind to their friends and family." Yeah duh, everyone but a monster does that. How you treat strangers is the test.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey guys this isn't actually USPOL 2.0 so if you can't find a way to relate your dumb Bernie fanfiction to the black experience you can take it somewhere else. And if you're about to respond that we would have won the election if The Blacks had only turned out for Bernie you can go ahead and go gently caress yourself.

Edit: Actually JFairfax you can gently caress right off entirely, you've been racist way too many times to be derailing this thread like you own the place.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

Sorry for posting in this thread again*, but I just want to call this poo poo out because it's unbelievably loving stupid:

If poor white people were the one white bracket that didn't vote for Trump, that's even more evidence that this election was about white supremacy and had nothing to do with economic anxiety. If it were economic anxiety causing people to vote for Trump, poor white people would've voted for Trump in greater numbers than rich white people but -- surprise! -- they didn't. Because the election was an endorsement of white supremacy.

* I've been thinking about how to make this post for the past few days, because I've had a lot to think about between my well-deserved callout and watching this election, and I just want to say: I'm sorry for what I said earlier, it was unacceptable. TB was right that I was and am a racist, even though I'm not proud of it, and I need to take responsibility for it, educate myself and stop being a racist. I also, along with all other white people, need to call out racism wherever I see it within my own community, which is something that I have not done enough of in my life. This election has shown me the end result of institutionalized and normalized racism, which I was either unable to see or willfully ignoring, and I want to change it within myself and within society. That being said, please, everyone: call me out in no uncertain terms if/when I say something racist. Yes, it hurt my feelings, but, gently caress it, my feelings needed to be hurt. EDIT: And, to be clear, I'm not saying this because I want, expect, or have a right to expect forgiveness for the lovely things I've said and done -- at this point I haven't done anything to earn it.

I'll shut up now.

I have a ton of respect for you posting this, and I want everyone to know that despite my (and the entire black poster community here, mysteriously) reputation as being "angry," I will happily embrace anyone willing to do this kind of self-reflection. I'm even up for doing more handholding about bigotry and intersectionality than I usually might. Every one of you coming around to our side is one less on their side.

And I think the black culture fascination with kung fu might partly be because those movies tended to play in urban movie theaters, and there was some overlap between kung fu and the -sploitation movies. And also Bruce Lee is dope af and we respect dopeness as a people.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Everyone watch Black Dynamite too. It's probably less funny if you didn't grow up on these movies, but it's still great. Actually here's my blackfolk 101 (extremely 101, don't fuss) movie list:

Black Dynamite
Black Power Mixtape
Good Hair
Dear White People
Coming to America
CB4
Shaft
Jackie Brown (Even though Tarantino is the p-word)
Do the Right Thing (ok tricked you this one's advanced, but watch it and then be confused by it and come here and talk about it and unlock wokeness inside you)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

Basically. Yeah, I'm an rear end in a top hat, but with a purpose. It's deliberate. It's always amazing how people talk about how "angry" we get, but fail to analyze that how people that were just calm and having a fun discussion suddenly don't want to talk and want them to leave.

You didn't put in Pootie Tang or I'm Gonna Get You Sucka.

Shame.

:negative:

I kind of want to put in a bunch of those basic cable afternoon movies I grew up with, like Black Knight, but I have no idea how those look through white people's creepy blue eyes.

Mixodorian posted:

This would be the most 101 list if you added Friday, haha.

Still amazes me all those young white girls that'd say "Bye, Felicia" without having any idea where it came from.

The biggest :negative:, growing til it eclipses the sun

Also "Bye, Felicia" was coined by NWA as depicted in that documentary, Straight Outta Compton

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 11, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
gently caress you know what you guys oughta watch some of those soapy black 90s dramedies, like The Wood and its much-belated sequel, Everyone's Wearing Christmas Sweaters and Has Cancer

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sharkopath posted:

Have you ever seen that miniseries late 90s about The Temptations cause that got near constant airplay at my house.

Oh god I probably still have that memorized. Also obviously all of the great 90s black sitcoms, which a lot of white kids I've met grew up watching too, which is kinda neat. Martin, Girlfriends, etc.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mixodorian posted:

I've seen that 5 or 6 times and David Ruffin is still my favorite member.

227 is underrated IMO

227! Also you know what I caught on Hulu recently and is surprisingly good is The White Shadow, which is about a white retired NBA star who coaches an inner city basketball team. It was really ahead of its time - sincere and fresh attempts at a lot of stuff that became watered-down cliches in the 80s and 90s. The kids on his team were really revolutionary depictions of black teenagers at the time, and it holds up pretty well. Everyone dies of gang-related-aids-teen-pregnancy of course, because what is blackness without a bunch of bullshit.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
And what's that movie where Denzel is a school principal and causes a huge fire hazard by chaining the school doors shut but he's a hero for it I guess because he's so no-nonsese

Oh poo poo and Sister Act obviously. Watch II instead of I - it's the exact same plot but it has Lauryn Hill in it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pootybutt posted:

Aw man, no Django? Is that advanced?

Would Attack the Block count? I kinda wanna count it.

Imma count it.

Wes Craven's The People Under the Stairs is also rad and well worth a look.

I purposely left out all the slave movies because I don't like how that's always everyone's first look at us narratively. Attack the Block is fantastic, not so much a primer on black culture but a drat good movie so I'll allow it

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Not on this list: Dangerous Minds and all its bullshit knockoffs.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

teen witch posted:

The Wiz you all forgot The Wiz you monsters

Oh my god yes. Also Thriller and Purple Rain, obviously

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aliquid posted:

There's also John Q. which iirc has Denzel chaining the doors of a hospital

Yeah I got those mashed up in my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

there wolf posted:

What about the romcoms like Waiting to Exhale or Love and Basket Ball? I seem to remember those getting heavy rotation after Soul Train on Saturday afternooons.

Yesssss. Any movie where two impossibly sexy black people are frowning at each other on the VHS cover.

• Locked thread