Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Party Plane Jones posted:

The fact that Trump gained Latino share versus Romney is something that I don't think anybody saw in any polling service.

I've yet to see any argument that this is the case other than by relying solely on Election Day exit polling that discounts early voters, but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also clearly Democrats just need to run strong progressives up and down ballot, which is how Russ Feingold won back his seat

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Clinton spent decades rubbing elbows with prominent members of the black community, so I've heard. i dunno who they are exactly, but Hillary does, so black people owed her their vote

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Also clearly Democrats just need to run strong progressives up and down ballot, which is how Russ Feingold won back his seat

You seem to be stuck on repeat -

Thread: HRC ran a terrible campaign and took the minorities vote for granted
WhiskeyJuvenile: ...bbbuttt progressives are poo poo

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

As much fun as the weekly Hillary vs. Bernie slap fight is could we maybe broaden the horizons a little bit? Democrats have been getting loving destroyed everywhere. They're getting their asses kicked up and down the street like an old tin can at all levels of government. Electoral college dickery gave Republicans the executive, gerrymandering has the legislative on lock down, unconstitutional obstructionism has just been rewarded with control of the judicial and right now billionaire funded think tanks are spinning up op-eds on how to use a constitutional convention if they reach that level of state control.

Maybe look a little higher than just this candidate versus that candidate and ask, 'What the gently caress is going on?'

The answer is people are god drat pissed off at the status quo. Everybody for different reasons depending on their individual situation but the common thread is 'gently caress you all you haven't done poo poo for me in decades' Harness that and start pointing it at sons of bitches, preferably the ones that deserve it, because if you don't Team Rocket is gonna ride in and use it to poo poo on minorities some more. See also: every god drat election basically everywhere.

As just one example, I get the financial necessity of bailing out the banks in the global financial crisis. Nobody was really gonna like that one, but that could have been smoothed over if you frog marched some mother fuckers into trial and actually gave them some consequences instead of letting them use the bailouts they got to pay off some fines then gave them an out by not admitting guilt in their plea deal with one hand while they continue to foreclose on houses across the nation with the other.

Would it have been political theater? Yeah, absolutely. So what? Half of politics is messaging to begin with and what the hell kind of message was sent with that? Give them a huge show trial, let the media all over it like the poo poo-attracted flies they are. Publicly crucify the 1%-er assholes that caused the problem in the first place. Splash their names across the front pages of papers. If you win, great! You've sent the message that loving needs to be sent and you can start down the path of regaining public trust in the institutions that are failing everyone across the board. If you lose, because there's every possibility they would have lawyered their way out of it like the weasely rich poo poo stains they are, also great! Hammer that drum long and loud about how rigged the system is and these elite assholes are having their way with you and yours. Vote for me.

Any of that last part sound familiar?

You're absolutely right and I too was mad that Obama gave them all a free pass. I wasn't pissed enough to vote in a hypocritical monster, but obviously some were.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

phasmid posted:

Yeah. More evidence that they didn't do as much reaching out as was pretended.

There was a ton of reaching out that was done, but it ended up happening in places like Texas and Arizona, where the increased latino vote couldn't overcome the massive white margins for Trump. It did help save Nevada's Senate seat, though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tir McDohl posted:

You're absolutely right and I too was mad that Obama gave them all a free pass. I wasn't pissed enough to vote in a hypocritical monster, but obviously some were.

Anyone still surprised that people will vote on emotion rather than rational appeal clearly did not pay attention during Brexit.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

They need to learn that once you can't reheat leftovers. Feingold should have ran for Governor instead of a Senate seat he already lost once.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

No see Feingold was a double neoliberal so he underperformed Hillary by 2%Whereas bold progressives like Joe Manchin bested her by double digits. Why are democrats so dumb???

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Hillary Rodham Clinton lost to Donald John Trump.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Inferior Third Season posted:

The problem with NPVIC is that there isn't and can't be any real legal enforcement mechanism if a state decides to go rogue. Depending on the actual procedure for taking the votes at the electoral college, which I'm not at all familiar with, a faithless state could either change the outcome at worst if they are near the last to vote, or at best they could throw everything into complete chaos where the other states' electors would have no idea who to vote for. It could be exceedingly messy.

This. Under the constitution, the states are free to pick their method of choosing Electors, and no law of the federal government or compact between the states can override that, nor could the courts enforce a contract. And many that have already signed on could decide "nah we're not doing it anymore" if it looked close to taking effect.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Party Plane Jones posted:

They need to learn that once you can't reheat leftovers. Feingold should have ran for Governor instead of a Senate seat he already lost once.

Bill was the 40th and 42nd governor of Arkansas.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

No see Feingold was a double neoliberal so he underperformed Hillary by 2%Whereas bold progressives like Joe Manchin bested her by double digits. Why are democrats so dumb???

You see in electing Trump the american public proved that they were not fundamentally very conservative but were in fact all secret leftists.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 1, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The answer is people are god drat pissed off at the status quo. Everybody for different reasons depending on their individual situation but the common thread is 'gently caress you all you haven't done poo poo for me in decades' Harness that and start pointing it at sons of bitches, preferably the ones that deserve it, because if you don't Team Rocket is gonna ride in and use it to poo poo on minorities some more. See also: every god drat election basically everywhere.

As just one example, I get the financial necessity of bailing out the banks in the global financial crisis. Nobody was really gonna like that one, but that could have been smoothed over if you frog marched some mother fuckers into trial and actually gave them some consequences instead of letting them use the bailouts they got to pay off some fines then gave them an out by not admitting guilt in their plea deal with one hand while they continue to foreclose on houses across the nation with the other.

Would it have been political theater? Yeah, absolutely. So what? Half of politics is messaging to begin with and what the hell kind of message was sent with that? Give them a huge show trial, let the media all over it like the poo poo-attracted flies they are. Publicly crucify the 1%-er assholes that caused the problem in the first place. Splash their names across the front pages of papers. If you win, great! You've sent the message that loving needs to be sent and you can start down the path of regaining public trust in the institutions that are failing everyone across the board. If you lose, because there's every possibility they would have lawyered their way out of it like the weasely rich poo poo stains they are, also great! Hammer that drum long and loud about how rigged the system is and these elite assholes are having their way with you and yours. Vote for me.

But but that sounds like it will require me, democratic rep of this district so long my butt shape is permanently worn into my wooden office seat, to actually do some hard campaigning and say things which might rock the boat with the rich constituents who write me a check for the maximum contribution like clockwork every year :ohdear:

Wait I just remembered that I won the last election with 87% of the vote thanks to pulling some strings with the state DNC to not oppose that part of the GOP gerrymandering. Whew, false alarm I can just toss pub some yard signs every two years and work on my assprint some more.

Sarcasm aside one of the things that needs to be done is focus on revamping state and local Democratic Party operations which have over the years become primarily concerned with getting cliques of longstanding democrats elected over and over again even if it comes at the expense of the party's ability to compete in other districts.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 1, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

JeffersonClay posted:

Bill was the 40th and 42nd governor of Arkansas.

Who was promptly ignored by the glorious Clinton campaign.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nonsense posted:

I have a feeling if Hillary ran hard as Bill's Wife it would have been even more of a problem.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Bip Roberts posted:

You see in electing Trump the american public proved that they were not fundamentally ex conservative but were in fact all secret leftists.

It was a referendum against Wall Street! The people were tired of corporate power and greed so they elected the avatar of crony capitalism, Donald J Trump.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

Of course, he was reheated leftovers.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Bip Roberts posted:

I have a feeling if Hillary ran hard as Bill's Wife it would have been even more of a problem.

It was more that he was offering strategic advice that contradicted the Mookputer so he was ignored.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

HannibalBarca posted:

It was more that he was offering strategic advice that contradicted the Mookputer so he was ignored.

It didn't help that he acted like a bumbling buffoon more than once during the campaign. When he started making GBS threads on Obamacare in October everyone tuned him out.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

JeffersonClay posted:

It didn't help that he acted like a bumbling buffoon more than once during the campaign. When he started making GBS threads on Obamacare in October everyone tuned him out.

Basically they should have locked him in a room for 5 months and only let him communicate with the outside world in the form of strategy memos.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
On his way out the door, Obama says, "marijuana should be treated like cigarettes or alcohol."

But he thinks that Congress should change the law or change the DEA's authority and that the President shouldn't do it.

Also, he is going to make "more clarifying statements about where I think we need to go" on marijuana policy once he is "a private citizen."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.279b31d868ca

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Russ Feingold, who had already lost to Ron Johnson in 2010, once again losing to Ron Johnson in an election when the Democratic presidential candidate drew shockingly low turnout numbers nationwide is clearly proof that that progressives have no hope. Insightful take as always.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

On his way out the door, Obama says, "marijuana should be treated like cigarettes or alcohol."

But he thinks that Congress should change the law or change the DEA's authority and that the President shouldn't do it.

Also, he is going to make "more clarifying statements about where I think we need to go" on marijuana policy once he is "a private citizen."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.279b31d868ca
Still clinging to the last few shreds of Presidential Dignity even as the office is being redecorated for a billionaire twitter buffoon, never change Obama.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

JeffersonClay posted:

Of course, he was reheated leftovers.

I live in Florida, the Democrats here have been running failed contenders in so many elections since 1998 that you might as well name the party playbook "Microwave Cooking For One Republican Party".

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

cheese posted:

Russ Feingold, who had already lost to Ron Johnson in 2010, once again losing to Ron Johnson in an election when the Democratic presidential candidate drew shockingly low turnout numbers nationwide is clearly proof that that progressives have no hope. Insightful take as always.

The point isn't that he lost, the point is that he lost by more than Hillary despite being generally viewed as more progressive. Similarly, blue dogs like Joe Manchin outperformed hillary by a significant margin. These data points do not suggest the answer for Democrats is as simple as "be more progressive".

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, that's kind of the whole point of doing these recounts, there's a belief that the electronic side has been tampered with.
More than that it's worth pointing out that the whole ostensible basis for Bush v Gore was that a recount in which the recount methodology varied by district (due to different types of ballot and voting machine) was inherently unconstitutional, per equal protection. That was the 7-2 part of the decision, and the more well-known 5-4 part was based on the belief that no recount methodology passing constitutional muster could be devised before the statutory deadline for a final result.

If anyone cares to continue to push the issue it'll be interesting to see how a WI recount (or any recount at all) can be harmonized with Bush v Gore if there are any contested ballots/votes/whatever at all.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

negromancer posted:

In today's "Did You Know", Palestinians and Arabs are Semites as well, so that makes anyone against them anti-semitic.

So Black Baby Goku is a antisemite as well.

This may come as a surprise, but Black Baby Goku is a trolling shitbag.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

More than that it's worth pointing out that the whole ostensible basis for Bush v Gore was that a recount in which the recount methodology varied by district (due to different types of ballot and voting machine) was inherently unconstitutional, per equal protection. That was the 7-2 part of the decision, and the more well-known 5-4 part was based on the belief that no recount methodology passing constitutional muster could be devised before the statutory deadline for a final result.

If anyone cares to continue to push the issue it'll be interesting to see how a WI recount (or any recount at all) can be harmonized with Bush v Gore if there are any contested ballots/votes/whatever at all.

People sort of forget the reason why the 5-4 part rankles the hell out of Gore voters is because the whole reason why the deadline couldn't be reached is because they had remanded it back to the FL Supreme Court in the original case two weeks earlier. Had they not pussyfooted around there would have been time to do a real recount.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This may come as a surprise, but Black Baby Goku is a trolling shitbag.

:eyepop:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/jdlovitz/status/804135977941946372

:toot:

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Obama is a giant pussy

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

yay, maybe that means NC will be a reasonable target to win in 2020 since it won't get so royally hosed by Republican attempts at voter suppression.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

At least there's some good to be found for the next month or so before everything goes to hell. :unsmith:

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
what is abuela?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

yay, maybe that means NC will be a reasonable target to win in 2020 since it won't get so royally hosed by Republican attempts at voter suppression.

Voter suppression is terrible, and with Jeff Sessions as AG it will get a lot worse, but the NC falloff in black voting was roughly equivalent to the falloff in states like Michigan with no major voting restrictions. I feel like HRC would probably have lost North Carolina either way.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Glorious! We can survive this shitstorm end of the decade.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Aww the hate party is just getting started and Pat's not invited

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

As much fun as the weekly Hillary vs. Bernie slap fight is could we maybe broaden the horizons a little bit? Democrats have been getting loving destroyed everywhere. They're getting their asses kicked up and down the street like an old tin can at all levels of government. Electoral college dickery gave Republicans the executive, gerrymandering has the legislative on lock down, unconstitutional obstructionism has just been rewarded with control of the judicial and right now billionaire funded think tanks are spinning up op-eds on how to use a constitutional convention if they reach that level of state control.

Maybe look a little higher than just this candidate versus that candidate and ask, 'What the gently caress is going on?'

Any of that last part sound familiar?

But who will have the balls to deal with the attacks from conservatives or other Democrats just itching to curry more favor with bigger banks? Not to mention trying to get through to a public raised on delusional protestant work ethic business worship? It'd take someone ballsy enough to risk their current place to fight a demogouge that I have not seen much of in Washington.

Just like with Brexit, angry white people get exactly what they demand from their exalted conmen and regret it just as soon as the thrill wears off.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

shrike82 posted:

No, his administration was just another in a long line that has done nothing for this demo.

Part of the problem is that in a way nothing SHOULD be done for THEM specifically; they should leave the countryside and move to the cities and the remainder should only exist for services and jobs that can be sustained in consolidated communities; like servicing wealthy retirees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

This is like the Scorpion and the Frog, except the frog never even questions the scorpion and just says "cool, lets go" and it is wonderful.

• Locked thread