Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

There is no dying gasp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Schizotek posted:

A growing group who votes 2-1 democrats is still an overwhelming boon to democrats even if they homogenize a bit as they grow. People kinda suck at statistics itt.

As we do better economically, the stats fall apart. We have a significant FYGM contingent.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

It's easy to understand: FYGM.

Actually it's gently caress You Get Out now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

I hereby give up trying to think strategically about politics

This must never happen again.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

AShamefulDisplay posted:

"Anti establishment". Nevermind that Sanders was pretty loving establishment himself.

Oh has it begun?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I honestly can't wait for the Berniebros to realize what a GOP AG is going to mean for their sweet legalized weed.

In a day of unpleasant things, this is my schadenfreude.

Na I'm pretty sure we keep our weed, and you still keep your salt.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Feral Integral posted:

Is there a salt mines thing on twitter for all the celebrities and poo poo like that that are losing their minds?

There's a list of celebrities who promised to leave the United States, and Trumpers are currently attempting to get these celebrities via twitter to follow through.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Polygynous posted:

So the system rewards bullshit instead of people who know what they're doing? Awesome.

No nobody knew what the gently caress Hillary was on about for a year because nobody voted, and she was humiliated in a historic defeat.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

The neoliberal political left is gone though.

We can hope Clinton is likely gone, but her roots run deep. Also the opposition is neutered if Chuck Schumer truly is the face of the opposition.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yeah Don't Do This Future Dems

http://www.rollcall.com/news/opinion/im-a-coastal-elite-from-the-midwest-the-real-bubble-is-rural-america

I’m from the rural Midwest. I now live in Washington, D.C. All of this talk about coastal elites needing to understand more of America has it backward.

When you grow up in rural America, denying rights to people is an abstract concept. Denying marriage rights to gay people isn’t that much different than denying boarding rights to Klingons.

To pin this election on the coastal elite is a cop-out. It’s intellectually dishonest, and it’s beneath us.

We, as a culture, have to stop infantilizing and deifying rural and white working-class Americans. Their experience is not more of a real American experience than anyone else’s, but when we say that it is, we give people a pass from seeing and understanding more of their country. More Americans need to see more of the United States. They need to shake hands with a Muslim, or talk soccer with a middle aged lesbian, or attend a lecture by a female business executive.

If we pin this election on coastal elites, we are excusing white working-class and rural Americans for voting for a man accused of violating the Fair Housing Act by refusing to rent apartments to black people. If we pin this election on coastal elites, we are excusing white working-class and rural Americans for voting for a man who called Mexicans rapists, drug dealers and criminals. If we pin this election on coastal elites, we are excusing white working-class and rural Americans for voting for a man who called for a complete ban on Muslim immigration.

Change has not been kind to the Midwest and rural America.

And rather than embrace it, rural and white working-class Americans are twisting and turning, fighting it every step of the way. We will never return to the days where a white man could barely graduate high school and walk onto a factory floor at 18 and get a well-paying job for life. That hasn’t set in for much of the Midwest.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

This is one hundred percent correct however and white progressives are tripping over themselves to jettison all talk of minority rights to appeal to white working class people who think things like the right to marry who you want or not be murdered by police for the color of your skin are minorities being uppity PC SJWs.

Na you lost and its time to win for the sake of everybody.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Ah, the stealth edit.

Want a prize?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Boon posted:

Only if it's you not posting.

I'll post where I like Boon.

>EDIT<: It is time to stop Dean's run for chair.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 11, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Boon posted:

25... 25 US States are completely controlled by the GOP with the control of the federal government also fully in the GOP's power.

Still not enough for a constitutional convention.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Dean came out strongly against Bernie in the primaries. I think we need someone younger.

I don't even think that's the worst thing about Dean. In fact it's understandable he has a rivalry with a fellow Vermonter, but his lobbying efforts are shameful.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

How about we stop turning on each and calmly discuss what we should do moving forward. Also we can dunk on Trump's cabinet choices.

I really hope Arpaio was just a trial balloon.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zikan posted:

democrats have always been bad at mass media and have to rely on things like the star power of obama. no way they could run an effective ad for the working cl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ZKV5h87RE

Seriously she ran LBJ ads and thought they were totally slamming TRUMP and wink-winkin to politics nerds. Bad.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 11, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Good because Bernie's going no where. Except dying of old age hah.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gail Wynand posted:

I'd be surprised if even 10% of the people using the term "neoliberalism" knew its meaning beyond "thing I heard is bad."

Hillary's third-way was humiliated and her neoliberal pals are dead.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gail Wynand posted:

Oh yes, when Warren endorsed Clinton /r/s4p said she was dead to them, an attitude shared by the real life Berniebros I know.

Nobody is turning on Warren.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I will say, reading the Bernie email I just got, that there are some things I think we need to work on in terms of messaging:

Bernie always wanted to frame things in terms of "the middle class." The middle class is a dogwhistle for white suburbanites and they both a) aren't who we need to reach out to and b) thoroughly Republican. We should be framing things in terms of workers and the working class, not suburbanites.

Secondly the framing of "establishment, elitism, (((globalists)))," and all of that crap is alt-right garbage and remember that they use that poo poo to dogwhistle Jewish people. I feel like we can frame a class war without borrowing the words and terminology of the right-wing populists currently trying to murder us. Democrats have bought into Republican framing for far, far too long.

I am ambivalent to the talk of "good jobs going to China." I hate the rhetoric and it's stupid but if these people must hear lies of unicorns then so be it I suppose. I just hope we pick representatives who know the difference between what we say and how we will fix the problem.

The other problem using 'the middle class' is how often Republicans also use it. It's hard to want to 'qualify' what it means to both sides, when it may as well mean exactly that. A catchall for white suburbanites. I preferred 'working families', dunno personally what works for everyone.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 12, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gail Wynand posted:

Confirmed, you don't know what it means.

Also, Eurasia has always been at war with Eastasia.

She was a loving New Democrat and the term evolved out of describing the toadies in her husbands administration who went on to back her and advise her throughout the 2000s.

Also again, you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about with regard to Warren because the party is no longer under anybody in particular's control right now. Brazille is an interim-leader nothing more.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

chumbler posted:

Might want to rewatch her DNC speech, chief.

So you think she turned on her back so he can rub her belly or something? It sounded like a challenge. I saw that interview kid.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Democrats have no power, and Warren's not going to RAGE about stopping Trump's every move when the Republicans control every branch and will get rid of means of opposition. We don't even know how the Dem side is going to shake out yet. Trump was just elected, he has no power yet.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

And guess who's gonna continue those wars? Honestly, both candidates would have done so. :sigh:

It's really early to tell, but it seems like Trump's idea is to antagonize China, which he still plans to do, while corralling Pacific allies as a bulwark. Those Pacific allies include Russia. Could the rest of Washington go along with this?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is unbelievable.

https://twitter.com/jimtankersley/status/797492671631790084

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

They tried a "Third Way". It was called the Clintons. Bowing to conservatism is absolutely the wrong tack to take.

To be fair if Hillary had won this election she would stomp the motherfucking GOP into paste, and laugh as they squealed.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

chumbler posted:

Actually they didn't come out to vote because impact of the outcome on minorities mattered less to them than their own ideological purity.

Also minorities have very little reason to trust white people including white liberals, as this election clearly demonstrated.

Nobody turned out for her was the point chumbler why are you posting like this? Those people you are hating on for ideological purity are in the loving streets right now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

It's not an outright rejection of a leftward economic policy shifts by minority posters, just a real and cogent wariness of it because of historical reasons.

This would be a much more troubling reason minorities across the spectrum sit this out, but they would be well within reason to have hated this general election which ignored issues especially important to their communities, even the majority-minority communities were depressed this year.

The years prior to the election weren't exactly shining beacons of hope either.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

chumbler posted:

If the outcome is so bad that they're in the streets protesting, where were they on election day?

Also updated tirnout numbers seem to be disagreeing with you.

It's already depressing that she lost with the majority popular vote. :(

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Bolton would be far worse than Rudy, there is no further discussion to be had.

Do you think Trump will offer him the old UN Ambassador job back?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Only a few tweaks, no real mistakes committed! The Power of Clinton down-ballots!

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/798996560478687239
https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/798996707812003840

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Hmm...

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/activists-urge-hillary-clinton-to-challenge-election-results.html

I don't know where I stand on whether Hillary should ask for a recount. I doubt they were hacked, but there is legitimate reason to be suspicious. On the other hand, this could cause more problems with the transition process.

I sure know I'd sleep better though if there was a recount, as at least I could be confident that the final tally was correct, even if Hillary still ended up losing.

Why would you order recounts in states controlled by Republicans, and an active Trump base that is out for blood at the slightest opposition?

edit: They're actually turning on themselves at the base level because Trump won't prosecute Hillary. Let that poo poo stir, and don't give them any reason to unify.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

How long has the over-time rule been dead because of that federal judge? Just today or was this old news?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump drops Pence and makes Falwell his VP

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Perez should run for the Senate and oppose national right to work unless he gets picked for chair. It doesn't hurt to have many different opportunities to tap. Even in the midst of badness.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump is hinting that investigations of the Clintons are back on the table so they will probably drop the audit talk.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Young Freud posted:

That has nothing to do with audit talk. Him waffling on investigating Clinton has everything to do with the reaction to him dropping it in the NYT interview.

:staredog: drat, he really might pursue it now? I thought it was related, and figured both would back down.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hope the TN factory didn't make diesels. Those are gone from NA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obama ruined the economy by being a grumpy gus throughout his presidency. Uncle Trump is here, everything is gravy now.

• Locked thread