Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PKJC posted:

^ gently caress did fishmech permatoxx? Goddamnit now where will I find that kind of laser focus pedantry

Well poo poo, now the forums will never be the same.

Is there a list of all the people who perma toxxed? I'm worried I might have to lurk less if I want D&D to remain reasonable. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

readingatwork posted:

This got me thinking. If Donald was smart he'd immediately move to abolish the Electoral college. It would simultaneously make him insanely popular, give him a real legacy with little effort, and perfectly troll the Dems by forcing them to either praise him or look like huge assholes and hypocrites by obstructing him.

I think the GOP would go proportional EV's before abolishing it. I think its a non starter even if Trump wanted it, like term limits.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Condiv posted:

and maintained the robots with their own money. and upgraded the robots with their own money. and fed the robots with their own money. etc. etc.

automation is expensive and not rarely flexible, which is why people have been used for a long time (companies don't pay a ton of the expenses required to raise a worker!). cutting tax subsidies pushes automation further from the affordable column back to workers. happy to help

Yes. They would absolutely do that just like they paid pinkertons to attempt to crush striking workers because they have a political, ideological goal of crushing workers rights by driving up productivity and requiring less workers that have the potential to unionize. If somehow you had the political capital to remove those subsidies that corporate lobbyists awarded the industry then they absolutely would find that elsewhere because they can only think in long term terms when it comes to eroding workers rights.

This is a fundamental position of Marxism, that capitalism will in lieu of unexplored markets to exploit, will turn to more efficiently exploit the hinterlands through aggressive acquisition and deployment of new tools and techniques (technology).

Even if you had the perfect political will (in which case, you also have the political will to do something far better than removing these subsidies, like maybe MinCome?), at best you merely slow down the process by a couple of years.

Additionally "automation is expensive and inflexible" is a criticism labeled at early factory looms you realize, and they couldn't possibly replace the hands of a skilled artisan!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

My Linux Rig posted:

Software design automation replacing software development may happen at some point, but I doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

Obviously much simpler jobs will be automated first.

I worked in a Video Game testing company testing a CCG and we spent about 66% of our time each new set writing up "edge cases" for how to test card interactions; as well as "normal cases" before testing said cards.

Of these scripts I'd say the "normal" use case test cases were still about 70% of the total, and could easily be automated. I suggested I could actually code up such a program in my spare time if I could perhaps be paid for it.

My lead didn't think it was worth my time nor would I be compensated even if I got something that could feasibly work for even 1/3 of the cases and so I never pursued it; but, right before I stopped working because I had a school semester starting up again our client had apparently contacted us and demanded we submit to them a report of what part of our job could be automated with them/us very clearly trying to think of ways to say "Lol no, nothing of this can be automated." even though a large chunk of it obviously can be.

I feel like I should've dedicated the time to it anyways in hindsight and maybe have gotten directly hired by that company.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Scent of Worf posted:

Sarah Kendzior is literally insane. Don't do this to yourself.

E- For those not familiar with her:

https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/798860958034788353

What's unreasonable here in a US without net neutrality?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Covok posted:

Now, from a Catholic perspective, it's really weird to hear the term "Secular Jew." Doesn't that just make you either an atheist or agonistic?

Because being Jewish is also cultural and an ethnicity; of which the religious component can sometimes be a little blurry.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1) That's not what net neutrality is.
2) Even if it was, that wouldn't happen on 1/20
3) This lady's primary residence is in London.

I didn't recognize what 1/20 meant and sure; but isn't net neutrality roughly speaking the notion that ISP's can't discriminate in their bandwidth, no "superhighways" etc? Isn't it not a difficult leap to make that corporations can eventually have enough influence to make some blogger's stuff less visible or impossible to load unless you pay extra?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 16, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

eviltastic posted:

Net neutrality has nothing to do with a business regulating its own members and content, Twitter is not going to start restricting accounts on the basis of political opposition or journalistic inconvenience to the incoming administration, ISPs are not going to be restricting access to one of the largest social media platforms, and anyone inclined to make angry legal threats on the internet is already doing it. If one of those things is going to change in grand fashion, it will be obvious over a much longer time frame than two months.

Yes, two months is a silly time frame and I didn't notice that aspect or her tweet, but, here me out here, lets think about it, lets assume a Continuum like future is what she's thinking of and if so what IS the stuff we should be concerned about?

What if, instead of restricting access to twitter, they make a Conservative Twitter that gets the easy bandwidth access and then make normal twitter slower to access or you have to pay money to access?

Or maybe, have it so that when you log onto the internet it logs your IP and only lets you access websites that are registered with certain ISP's within a radius of you? :ohdear:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Main Paineframe posted:

It stands for "okay, we gave you a token leadership position with no real power or authority, that means all the young people will vote for us now right?".

On the other hand, being "General Secretary" was also a token leadership position until Stalin made it into something right? Maybe we'll get lucky and Bernie can build it up into a de facto party leadership position?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wish the "Left" was a unified disciplined force for change to the extent the Right thinks it was.

I blame the People's Front of Judea, splinterers!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Can we get the US posters complaining about how the Democrats gonna crat' to just run for local elections and change the party from the inside? Isn't there like a tonne of otherwise dead end positions that are unopposed and only take like 13 votes to win? Use those as a means of gaining credibility; run as an independent if it's deeply red (But privately agree to caucus with the Dems if they give you some funding).

I think being a goon can be an asset in this, claim you represent the internet generation of people just tired with the same out of touch political crap and that you'll bring a more objective perspective.

Wasn't there one Goon who won an election by 13 votes against a crazy dude? Whats his take now?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mustached Demon posted:

It's ok because it won't happen do not delude yourself.

Says the increasingly nervous pundit.

e:

QuoProQuid posted:

Also, please do not highlight that you are a goon if you have any interest in politics. At best, an opponent will point out that you are participating on a hyper-partisan forum where off-colour jokes are the norm. At worst, someone is going to dig through your post history to find you at your worst and will send those to everyone you know.

Just like Trumps past remarks hurt him?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 19, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

QuoProQuid posted:

1. You are not Donald Trump
2. Donald Trump's remarks were not an asset during the campaign
3. Local politics is not national politics
4. Please do not humiliate your poor mother

For the record I'm :canada:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lightning Knight posted:

You're an idiot if you want the Electoral College to stand as it is, or if you think that abolishing the Electoral College would suddenly make everybody living in the Rust Belt irrelevant. The Electoral College is very, very bad for progressives in the long term.

Also, more people live in California alone than Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania combined lmao.

Something like 50% of the country lives in the metropolitan areas that correspond to Hillary's +12% map. It actually seems likely that if Democrats could somehow maintain their turn out then yeah the Rust Belt would be completely irrelevant.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There needs to be some kind of major scifi reconstruction of the rural America to not be lovely but this also means shifting a few million people out of there one way or another; free market forces will take care of most of it over time if you give them enough money in their pocket but at some point the government just needs to be willing to go "Sorry, it isn't cost effective when robots can do the work you're doing here, here take some cash and gtfo."

The US needs a new New Deal.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Star Man posted:

Oh, I'm sure the tribes would love some Bizzarro-Andrew Jackson.

My GOTO example is the METI.

I'd much prefer the country flip from being a poor person area to a rich person area, and consolidate all of the small villages and towns; you don't need a town whose only purpose is to refuel trucks passing by, one day soon it'll be robots manning the trucks, so no need for diners along the road; and at that point, why not automate the gas stations to?

My suggestion is for the government to buy and retrofit the gas station/diner so the previous old owners have the money to move to the city or a cushy suburb and let market forces handle the rest.

The other suggestion is that massive infrastructure projects, like entirely rebuilding the infrastructure to be "Ready" for automation, would give people enough income to make the smart decision themselves if you weigh the scales enough; package it together with tax cuts and benefits to move once the job is done.

Once the population density is down to a few per square kilometer than you can discuss additional measures to further consolidate it; make it so that the only people living there are either wealthy enough, or they are people needed for the services those wealthy people require.

In any case, the standard of living should climb considerably.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I forgot about the natives, there should be a specially tweaked one for them; mainly to boost living standards and not meant to encourage them to move; internet, good roads, rebuilt high tech schools, more funding; maybe give them back some of the land we empty out of poor white people and let them make use of it; maybe just entirely rebuild every native majority town by world class architects to replace anything that was cheap/drab with buildings that better reflect their culture; this should help them in a more targeted way.

Xae posted:

Things like Rural/Municipal Broadband, treating addiction as a metal illness and whatnot are desperately needed by Rural America. But Rural America is also the biggest opponent of those measures.

Stuff like this to; the people that remain should have amenities necessary for 21st century living be provided at government cost as a part of that infrastructure project I was suggesting. Light rail to connect the consolidated towns, and so on.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Covok posted:

This is about vowing to not persecute Clinton.

Who would've thought Trump walking it back slightly on some of his worst tin pot dictator promises would make me giggle.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

UV_Catastrophe posted:

New vote-winning dem policy proposal for 2020: literally bulldoze rural america

I don't think that is what people are suggesting.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

readingatwork posted:

Computers aren't magic. The day where a factory is completely self-contained is still a long ways away and even then we'll still need people to service the robots, patch roofs and repair drywall. Manual labor may become less common but it's hardly going extinct.

IIRC I remember Paul Kennedy writing about an experimental Japanese factory that was entirely robots back in 1984.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

fishmech posted:

Especially for normal stores, self-checkouts don't really let you fire a bunch of cashiers and have things still work - they require you to keep the same amount of cashiers for the same level of service because a) a lot of shoppers are just plain stupid and b) lots of stuff is still too "sensitive" to be done automatically. High value items, alcohol/other age restricted items and so on. And then there's the fact you need people around to fix when the machine just plain fucks up.

I've seen grocers in Montreal where it's one person managing 6 self check out machines.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The thing I read about neoliberalism and the idea that the rich want a functioning society I think neglects that in small increments they will be just fine by making fortified bantustans with armoured convoys ferrying them to and fro while the poor have to hitchhike it on foot and any uprisings are crushed by PMC's while the media is owned by the people who own the PMC's.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I don't have a better answer but I think 1300 Congressman seems like a bad idea. It's a lot harder to hold people accountable for doing shady things when nobody has ever heard of them. Hell, i dont even know many congressmen by name today. (Not that im proud of that)

Bullshitting here, but we need another house or something. The Urban House, the Rural house and the Senate.

As someone else mentioned, they don't all have to meet at the same time. You could have delegations, or simply make a new building.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, only have one political party, ban the rest, and secretly kill everyone who dissents.
Its reeeeeeeaaaaaal easy to have 3000 representatives when they all have to follow the one rule or be dead.

This is highly fallacious reasoning and you don't actually elaborate how it would be unworkable without it being a single party state. What would change in their day to day? Do you know their procedures?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
These people being floated for cabinet positions reminds me of how most of Hitler's inner circle were also gently caress ups before gaining power.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

shrike82 posted:

No, his administration was just another in a long line that has done nothing for this demo.

Part of the problem is that in a way nothing SHOULD be done for THEM specifically; they should leave the countryside and move to the cities and the remainder should only exist for services and jobs that can be sustained in consolidated communities; like servicing wealthy retirees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope Obama gets poo poo on harder than Carter because he's such a passive shithead. It's a good thing the Tea Party became a thing because if the GOP had been entirely establishment we'd have had several years of entitlement destruction in return for the occasional table scrap instead of him and the Dems going "wait they want to burn it all and not just some of it? Nah that's too much for us."

Pretty sure Dems are going to need Obama for 2018 and 2020, so lets hope he becomes the Democratic Reagan.

• Locked thread