Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I know that this was literally 60 pages ago but how can anyone claim that this election was not about the economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PKJC posted:

I dunno, how can you claim that bigotry was not explicitly at the literal forefront of the Trump campaign?

It was but it's not like the "we'll get you more money if you let us kick out all the undesirables" rhetoric doesn't exist at this side of the aisle too. :sweden:

Look at those numbers, almost perfectly mirrored.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Where the hell is that from? I've never seen such positive numbers on the state of the economy. Ever.

They're from here.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Things aren't so peachy economically for the working class.

I think this kinda ties into the white college educated demographic too. Sure are a lot of people in that group who are unemployed and massively indebted.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

With a few notable exceptions he mostly avoided directly addressing racial issues in his campaign speeches.

As a famous poet once spoke, “Obama cool, but he ain't sending me no free checks”

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pocket pool posted:

I mean it isn't like it has to be exclusively about one or the other - it is pretty fair to say both played a part.

But how are we supposed to debate in circles for days if we concede that the truth is in the middle??? Shame on you! :argh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Torpor posted:

Taser stock is doing really well, today :stare:

Within 3 hours of Trump becoming the winner of the election Danish medical company Novo Nordisk gained 7% on the stock market within 5 minutes of it opening. This is a company that announced that it was going to cut hundreds of workers just a month ago citing price falls in the US market. So why the quick turnaround? Crushing Obamacare means medicine prices going back up again.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Electoral betrayal would require such a grand conspiracy to actually not fall flat on its face that it's unlikely to ever happen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

Never forget this is the website that gave us Star Wars 9/11.

:drat:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zelder posted:

i will say, all joking and irony aside, that the symbolism of the world's biggest bully taking the most important job in the land absolutely loving sucks

Jeb Bush jinxed us all, the world will not allow him to be right about literally anything.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gail Wynand posted:

I'd be surprised if even 10% of the people using the term "neoliberalism" knew its meaning beyond "thing I heard is bad."

It's not that complex an economic philosophy. The real mess is when people start talking about globalization.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I hardly comprehend it. I think it's an economic thing? Basically the same thing as "compassionate capitalism", except it's even faker?

No, neoliberalism is a comprehensive philosophic position in national economy on what the role of regulation and state spending is in the national economy. Mainly, that its primary purpose is to enable free competition while keeping its own role minimal. In practice this means de-regulation, tax cuts and privatization. Its assumptions are derived from a number of political philosophies but the primary one is classical liberalism which is a strand of liberalism which believes freedom is represented by individuals ability to form voluntary contracts with one another.

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress, that is horrifying. So "neoliberal" means...not liberal at all. That's literally FYGM.

The above is needed to answer this. There's no one 'liberalism', modern social democracy is based on the polar opposite of classical liberalism, egalitarianism, which believes that people are free when they have the resources needed to make the decisions they want. Of course there is nothing voluntary about forced redistribution so these position are what academia calls ontologically opposed as their base assumptions are incompatible. These are both 'liberalism'.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 12, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

Maybe they will be so caught up in internal squabbles they'll forgot to dick over the American people.

Trump's America: Everyone hold still and they won't see us

Unfortunately America is hopelessly broken already that in-action also constitutes dicking people over.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

The media is absolutely going to pay these idiots lip service because the second the people that own the media sniff out that the left is angry and ready to revolt in this country, they're going to do everything to discredit it.

See: Literally any other time our country has flirted with leftist ideology in history.

Imagine the opposition Corbyn is facing in the UK, times a thousand.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Swedish media claims that someone just got shot at a anti-trump demonstration but I literally cannot find a media mention of it anywhere else.

EDIT: Nevermind, here it is

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-protests-idUSKBN1343CO?il=0

Lets not hope this is not the first death. :ohdear:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 12, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ErIog posted:

Wall is one of those things he actually literally can't do because it's nearly impossible. This isn't like a rubicon type deal like abortion or press access. It's not fiscally possible. Border is loving long. Materials cost a lot of money. Maintenance and enforcement costs a lot of money too.

No you could just put all the F-35 funding into wall-building and make America great again™.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ErIog posted:

Guys.. what if.. cutting the military is a Nixon to China type deal and the only one who can finally get funding for the F35 pulled is Trump?

America exists for the F-35, not the other way around.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

BTW I liked that story of how they pretty much took people who identify as Latino for granted. Yeah they may eventually support the Dems, but thats just disgraceful to abandon them like that. I mean it almost seems like the neoliberals in the party only ever had identity issues as window dressing.

As a European the latino thing is baffling to me because latino's constitute so many different nationalities, religions and cultures that it as a signifier must assuredly be almost completely worthless. Like if I were to do a comparative study between second generation Cubans and Mexicans about political attitudes I sincerely doubt that their response would be uniform to the level that pollsters bungling treatment of them would imply.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

it's actually difficult to find anyone saying austerity is good anymore. Even the IMF, who you think would be in favor of austerity measures given their history, said they do more harm than good.

Nope, people need to stop misinterpreting that press release from earlier this year as some kind of silver bullet. That was the research arm of the IMF which has no input on the actual executive arm of the IMF. The research arm has been pumping out papers against austerity for years without anything changing. As of today the executive arm of the IMF is still very much fine with enforcing austerity through its structural reform packages. Just look at the last weeks of news coming out of Egypt if you do not believe me or literally any Eurozone country under the thumb of the Eurogroup.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

White people are the bad guys.

They still turned out for trump who was running on a platform of loving over POC more than WWC.

White moderates decided to not turn out for Hillary.

White leftists decided to vote third party, joke write ins, or stayed home because Hillary wasn't pure enough. If they had given a poo poo about class war they would have voted Hillary.

White people are the problem.

You can blame the electorate all you want but in the end it is the candidate's responsibility to actually get them into the booth, no one else.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

Non-functioning societies aren't very fun for the rich, either. Rich people should consider how pleasant it is to drive down 5th Avenue without fear of kidnap, and eat in fancy restaurants without a security entourage.

Adam Smith figured out this dynamic and published it for all to see in the Wealth of Nations over 200 years ago and yet the political and financial elite forget and re-learn this valuable lesson every 40 years or so.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

well let's see what carefully chosen words the future president of the united states has to say about this important ev

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/802499192237080576

oh

He's not wrong.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Except every country doesn't murder, torture, and unlawfully detain its civilians for decades while its leader denies it?

No that's just every dictator on the planet and the US. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Phone posted:

oh, so now you're a full communism now guy? nice.

If you're below 30 and want to retire in your lifetime the only alternatives are either financial independence or full communism so.... Maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tir McDohl posted:

You're absolutely right and I too was mad that Obama gave them all a free pass. I wasn't pissed enough to vote in a hypocritical monster, but obviously some were.

Anyone still surprised that people will vote on emotion rather than rational appeal clearly did not pay attention during Brexit.

• Locked thread