Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
Now that the alt-right has helped build Bernie Sanders into Jesus incarnate, how are they going to tear down him and what he stands for so that Trump doesn't get voted out in 4 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

baw posted:

If the data was showing they were fine (it was) then it's hard to blame them for not listening to Bill. The problem is no matter how good your supercomputer and algorithms are, you'll still get lovely results if you feed lovely data into it. And this time around all the data was lovely

But she's such a good listener :confused:

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Motto posted:

Why was the TPP bad again? The only specific point I ever heard was from pirates fearing that it'd make it harder to steal poo poo.

Because The Young Turks said so, and everything they say should be accepted without question no matter how poorly researched it is.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Rabble posted:

Hey guys, maybe all these trade deals aren't that great for your average American. If only there was a candidate promising to rip them up. I bet he would win an election even if he was propped up by racists and suffers from a giant dose of misogyny.

Hey, maybe just because one thing isn't that great doesn't mean the alternative isn't much worse? Instead of having $500 TVs made in China, we could have $3500 TVs made in America or possibly $500 TVs made entirely by robots. That is sort of complicated though, maybe one candidate could lie relentlessly about it and tell people whatever they wanted to hear instead.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Rabble posted:

I'm glad you feel this way. You and I are two votes in a sea of millions. Perhaps we should be looking at the people who voted for Trump despite all his obvious and very dangerous failings and see what they actually think. They don't like the trade deals, their guy says he's going to rip them up...their guy won. It's not a stretch to assume that the majority of these people feel shafted by both establishments.

But go ahead, keep calling them racist idiots. Their vote still counts just the same.

Would telling them to go back to school and get an associate's degree in Advanced Manufacturing be ok, or would that also hurt their feelings?

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
After 8 years of horror the left will come crawling back to neoliberalism as their only salvation. Also time is a flat circle.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

BarbarianElephant posted:

Logically, the alt-left should be the regular left but really sexist and into making memes.

fixed

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Neo-Liberalism has nothing to do with drone policy. It is an economic theory.

Well no corporation is going to build new factories in territory still held by ISIS

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

HorseRenoir posted:

Trump will not get a 9/11 moment. Most of the security loopholes that allowed an attack on that level to happen have been closed, and Trump can't make hay out of a smaller attack because no one here really gives a poo poo about foreign terrorist attacks and people have become desensitized to small-scale spree killings. Even if it did somehow happen Trump wouldn't have the same popular carte blanche Bush had, because Trump is too inherently polarizing and can't play the "uniter" like Bush. Plus people still remember stuff like the Iraq War vote negatively.

The Trump administration will try to consolidate power, but it'll be through national voter suppression initiatives and not some blogger's Nazi fever dream.

9/11 happened in part because Bush pulled so many FBI agents off tracking terrorists in order to investigate the Clintons. Sounds familiar?

Also there's this disaster waiting to happen:
https://theintercept.com/2016/11/18/donald-trump-hopes-to-abolish-intelligence-chief-position-reverse-cia-reforms/?comments=1#comments

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

NathanScottPhillips posted:

I'm sick of people like you posting in here defending 8 years of Obama continuing and expanding these wars and other horrible horrible Bush era policies. Remember in 2008 when Obama promised to close gitmo and wind back the war on terror? Meanwhile gitmo "will never close," none of the prisoners have ever been tried in court, and the drone war has expanded to nearly 20 countries and we have special operations soldiers on the ground in 133 countries.

I'm really starting to wonder if the entire US just completely repressed 2000-2008 in their minds. I don't know how else to explain people comparing Obama's piddly little drone strikes with hundreds of thousands people dead in Iraq and Afghanistan.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

cravius posted:

Lol if you equate voting to grow business and lessen government restrictions on entrepreneurs with supporting corporate fat cats. The Democrats have always been the party of Wall Street.

The stock market does seem to crash less when the Democrats are in power. Maybe because of those pesky government restrictions?

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

A sentient rock could've beaten Trump as long as it focused on a positive economic message.

That's what HRC offered for anyone that wasn't a gullible, entitled child. Soon 2016 will be remembered as As Good As It Got.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I still believe that it would've worked with another candidate.

Unrealistic Promises 2020

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Xae posted:

It is easy to dismiss Trump voters are idiots, but stupid to do so.

Trump told them the lies they wanted to hear. But not all of his supporters are die hards. When he fails to deliver his promises they will abandon him.

Yes that is how human nature works. Once people realize they have been conned they calmly and rationally modify their beliefs.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

NewForumSoftware posted:

Maybe someone like Bernie Sanders?

Yep shoving an unpopular candidate down the throat of the democratic party is sure to work the second time around!

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

A lovely Reporter posted:

The Democratic Party are not "Republican-lite", and anyone claiming that at this point is either so insulated from Republican hate that they're functionally blind and deaf, making claims in bad faith, or completely uncaring about people (i.e. minorities) that get hurt by Republican policies. My state's Republican government just passed a hosed-up law that will have women forced to pay for burial and a funeral for an aborted fetus. Shame on you for making this actively harmful false equivalence, and may Trump's horrible policies harm you personally.

A lesson that takes 8 years to learn and 7 years to forget

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

As pointed out, it was her turn in 2008 and Obama beat her. Unless we're going to keep saying that Hillary somehow conjured up 3.5 million votes to win the primary but couldn't rig the general to the tune of a couple hundred thousand, I don't think the content of the messsage was the problem so much as the delivery (or perhaps more likely, a lack of proper preparation as LK pointed out). This is why I've been stressing that you can replace all the people you want in the DNC, but it won't matter if you can't convince enough people. Unless it just so happens that the people who didn't vote Hilary and stayed home out of discouragement just wanted all the stuff Bernie was pushing and not any other reason for staying home like voter suppression or the never-ending scandal wars, and that all those people voting would offset anybody discouraged enough to not vote for whatever (probably bad) reason because they didn't like the platform. But that's all theoretical.

Also, if 1/4 of the people who vote Democrat are the "neoliberals" that people want to get rid of, then you're not going to win without them, and they also need to be convinced. As well as any of those so-called "independent" voters who just want to be assured things are going to get better for themselves and stay that way and allegedly don't care about the R or D next to a person's name.

I imagine the laws that outline those powers in Canada are a lot less vague than the 10th Amendment.

Not to mention that she won the popular vote in the 2008 primary but lost because of the delegate votes :ironicat:

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Clinton was not Obama and never will be

She did the same poo poo she did 2008 primary

She will always be remembered as the Democrat's hurricane Katrina

Yes for many reasons including the EC, Democrats need to run the best politician in a generation in order to win, while Republicans only need to run a barely literate con-artist. HRC vs Sanders is a moot point, without a literal Obama 2 then Trump was a shoo-in.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm really looking forward to the alt right tearing itself apart as they realize that they were used and discarded by the establishment. The leaders will mostly try and suck up with their benefactors but the internet warriors will implode.

What were their demands besides the right to be assholes in public? They've pretty much gotten that already.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Aww the hate party is just getting started and Pat's not invited

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope Obama gets poo poo on harder than Carter because he's such a passive shithead. It's a good thing the Tea Party became a thing because if the GOP had been entirely establishment we'd have had several years of entitlement destruction in return for the occasional table scrap instead of him and the Dems going "wait they want to burn it all and not just some of it? Nah that's too much for us."

It's getting really hard to tell who is being super ironic and who is just completely insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Devor posted:

What was this tweet from Jon Lovitz?

It was announcing that Roy Cooper had won NC, but I guess they decided to let McCrory delay the inevitable

http://www.businessinsider.com/north-carolina-recount-durham-county-pat-mccrory-roy-cooper-2016-11

• Locked thread