Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

What is interesting is how many precedents/expectations this fucks up -

1) Texas never going blue, because Democrats are retarded and can't stop talking about guns/whatever, and they will put up another 30 year veteran shitlord in 2020. GOP will slowly leech minority vote despite themselves.

2) Supreme court is hosed.

3) We have a guy who denies climate change in office as cities like Miami are starting to flood.

4) The worst part isn't even Trump himself, its all the cronyistic garbage he is going to let into the Whitehouse, those are the guys who will gently caress poo poo up. Our best hope is really for Trump to actually do things because ultimately I think he is solution neutral and doesn't give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Radish posted:

Like literally everything else I expect him to get off because he's Trump despite overwhelming evidence. Dude is literally untouchable.

Or get this, like Clinton, there isn't sufficient evidence to actually prove anything. Thats how courts work.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Spiffster posted:

Hillary will now be investigated even more for Benghazi and emails and will probably be thrown in jail.
All the accusers of sexual misconduct of trump will also be sued into oblivion for daring to be against him
My LGBT friends and families will get their marriages overturned by new legislation passed by the GOP
Minorities of all types are going to get stopped and frisked and shot and killed when they just ask why
EPA will be gone, Planet will go Red Hot and we will have india and china level of pollution
Trump will have nuclear codes and be chummy with Russia.

no matter how many times I slice it this is a really bad...

No, probably not to all of this. China will lead in stopping pollution, India will be close behind because they are already in a position of having no choice. America won't be gaining any new manufacturing etc to pollute.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

He has no real consistent policies, domestic or otherwise. Expect 90s style GOP ideas based on who he surrounded himself with.

There is no bottom, there's always more and its always worse.

This whole election has been one retarded nostalgia tour.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Deified Data posted:

[*]Accelerationism is going to start looking a lot more appealing to the left. The argument against it has always been "think about the people who would suffer", but that doesn't work now that the worst case scenario has come to pass. The worse America does in the next 4 years, the better prepared we'll be for a Dem comeback. I'm not ignorant of the human toll this will take, but it's going to happen and it's best to be realistic about it.

People say every election "the dems will get it together next time!"

Weirdly this never happens, it won't happen this time either. The democratic party is garbage and the core has no interest is being productive at all.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

As a geologist let me tell you its already too late for global warming. Mostly Asia will be affected directly in terms of death toll over the next century.

The main debate is whether it will lead to a stagnation of the climate i.e. if currents and weather patterns start to decline this could cause hydrogen sulfide bacteria explosions, thought to be a cause of past mass extinctions.

Earth warms -> weather stops -> biodiversity dies -> hydrogen sulfide gases complex land animals.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

I said it last night but hillary probably just had the worst presidential loss of the modern era.

I mean my god the advantages she had

People want a show apparently, not policy delivered as if in a PTO meeting.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

So how likely is Trump's infrastructure plan?

This details some of it - https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/an-americas-infrastructure-first-plan

If it actually happens it would be good.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

lol if you think trump will spend money on poo poo

He isn't spending his money now, he doesn't need to care about it. He has always built crap, why would that change?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Yah and who the gently caress do you think the DNC is at the local/state level? Did you go join up and volunteer dozens of hours ? Did anyone in younger <40 age groups get politically involved?

No, not at all, not since 2008. Not in a level needed. No one gave a gently caress so why would anything change.

And the you in these sentences is a generic plural you, not pointed at anyone particular.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean what do you want? Shall we do some America First anti-immigrant, anti-free trade garbage?

Everything these people want is toxic. This country is hosed because the electorate are literally stupid children.

Try empathy, it might get votes. People ultimately subscribe to the heirarchy of needs and when thats not met they start to lash out. Exactly how depends.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Lmao this is still such a dumbshit talking point.

WE HAD poo poo IN THE PLATFORM FOR THESE PEOPLE. We had increased minimum wage, free college, infrastructure funding. We can debate whether that is enough but we had poo poo that would help people left behind by globalization.

They want racism and anti-immigrant rhetoric. That doesn't deserve empathy.

They don't mostly, the message is wrong. They aren't going to jerk off over policy, you have to phrase and market to them in terms they understand.

Blue collar workers/rust belt/whatever you think these people are, were raised to believe in a company town and company environment, on the backs of the spirit of WW2. Now yes that was all a big scam, but it was a patriotic point of pride for them, and they on the whole, weren't taught or raised to think critically.

And they suffer from the same confirmation bias bubble as the rest of us, you can't start trying to rationalize people out of a situation they didn't rationalize themselves into. Its like coaxing an injured animal out of a crawl space.

Bumwillickers Smith the 4th isn't going to college at 36 after the auto plant shut down, ok.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

There's no way to frame realistic policy in the terms of "bring everything back to 1950" that these people want to hear.

There is, its called "talking to them", so a Democrat politician would have to somehow go and meet them, maybe even live amongst them for a time. Come to know their ways. Adopt some of their culture and perhaps belong with them. Help at barbecues, church/community events, get them involved with events locally to improve things. Then build up from there as a base of trust.

Instead of you know, driving in from wherever and saying a bunch of poo poo about laws. The left has no local base with the people they want to help in rural cases.

Otherwise, you get pepes in the mist.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

climate change and the lack of infrastructure to combat it will thankfully take out much of the rural US as well in the next 30 years.

Climate change wont do much damage directly to the American mid-country, we have the technology for the farm country here and the risk is much lower than the poorer parts of the world. Its not great but not the worst possible, search up a risk map.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Uh. I don't think Becoming Joe Biden is going to be sufficient, and frankly further still I don't want to be ruled by white straight men forever.

Talking to people isn't restricted to white men did you know?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the risk map assumes a president & federal gvt that believes CC is an invention.

Probably depends on the source, I could dig them up but its a derail, I think most projections just assume the worst.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Hillary did make speeches and have platform policy - real policy! - to help them.

What the argument comes down to then is a tantrum that she didn't physically campaign enough in those states, which is childish. "Man if Hillary had just spent more time here I would've voted against the fascist."

I really don't think Bernie would've won. Economic populism without racism versus economic populism with racism will lose every time in this country.

People don't like Clinton, full stop, end of story. Anyone else without her baggage would have done better. It doesn't matter if any of it is true/deserved or not.

You don't put up the scandal plagued candidate for president that goes back 30+ years.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

So white voters threw a tantrum because they don't like Hillary and voted for Trump, a literal fascist.

Like lmao you guys are really self righteous about gently caress Hillary but that's your argument. Absolve white voters for staying home or choosing the white supremacist because they wanted to :qq: about Hillary.

I voted Hillary, but she was always a poo poo tier candidate. If you don't want people to stay home, convince them not to. Fascism ultimately isn't going to affect whites so you need to use something else, they don't care about your attempt to guilt them.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Frankly then they deserve what they get. Your delusional if you think Trump won't make life hell for non-rich white people. They're in for a real rude loving awakening.

I think you over-estimate what he cares about, which is probably nothing. The GOP is still the exact same people in office, no Tea Party revolution occurred in the legislature. They will gently caress things up for sure, but there aren't going to be death squads.

It may be grift at an unprecedented scale, though.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm scared my dad and uncle would get deported. They're legal citizens but they were born in Mexico. That isn't an irrational fear. That is the country white people voted for.

Its completely irrational.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

labor in the rust belt will be so totally hosed in the next 4 years. I'm unironically very happy about it given the results and the conversations I've had with people around these blighted shitlands pre election.

It was already going to be like that, what did they have to lose

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Torpor posted:

Taser stock is doing really well, today :stare:

Private prisons went back up to, Trump thinks privatization works better though factually it has been shown to not save money and causes more problems in every instance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I feel like the worst outcome so far is the legitimization of the conspiracy tiny media bubbles like Breitbart and other alt-right crockshit.

• Locked thread