Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

You also can't expect to win on demographic change, if Latinos are morphing into whites lite, as shown this year.
The hispanic population doesn't think of themselves as a monolithic entity. They think of themselves primarily by their nationality. They are also of varying levels of legal immigration status and numbers of generations living in the U.S.

They think these distinctions are recognized and respected by the authorities. They will realize in 4-8 years under Trump that they are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

No filibuster means they 100% own everything that passes, or fails to pass, in Congress. With a filibuster they can still have a Dem opposition scapegoat/savior for truly insane poo poo Trump wants and they don't.

See also: Trump nominating some Harriet Miers-grade :wtc: SCOTUS pick that the GOP really, really, doesn't want that they also know the Dems will line up to oppose.
If they're dumb enough to keep the filibuster for the Supreme Court, Dems should filibuster absolutely everyone and just say no one is getting through until Merrick Garland has had his hearings and a vote.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Win the House and Senate in 2018, start the Democratic primary for 2020 a few months after they take office.
lol. Take a look at the Senate seats that are up for election in 2018. Democrats will be lucky if they only lose two or three.

And good luck getting Democrats to turn out in a mid-term when they couldn't be loving bothered showing up to keep loving Donald Trump from becoming president.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Yeah if we keep running midterms the way we did in 2010 and 2014, we're hosed. So don't do that.

The Democrats had a good year in 2006 when they took poo poo seriously and forced the GOP to defend seats. Captured the House, the Senate, and the majority of governorships and statehouses. We need a fifty-state strategy again and I think we're going to get it. We should have been doing it all along.
In 2006, Bush had two wars that were going badly, and a disastrous response to Hurricane Katrina. I don't think Trump is going to be breaking any approval rating records in his first two years, but he will have to do some work to match how bad Bush 2006 was.

I think the real dangers with Trump are not the crazy and outrageous things we all fear, but the utter mundane things that are none-the-less expansive in scope and terrible in consequences but are not so easy to rally the troops against. Things like standing by while his FCC lets network neutrality die, and making extremely conservative judicial appointments, and not doing anything about climate change, and doing nothing to stop the police from murdering people while AG Guiliani blames the victims.

I really have strong doubts in the Democrats to turn out in midterms without "sexy" political disasters driving them en masse.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

darth_pizza posted:

And Ruth Bader-Ginsberg says she is too.
:what:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Trump isn't going to enact any legislature that keeps him from making more money.
I think the one silver lining to Trump is that he's going to take revenge on the New York elite crowd that never accepted him. Trump was too stupid to make his money through complex financial transactions and his billion dollar write-off is the type of thing you can learn on the back cover of "Taxes for Dummies". I think it's possible Trump will advocate for new taxes that hit the mega-rich (though only on the types of things he doesn't personally benefit from).

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Stereotype posted:

Trump seems like a Keynesian which means he is right about exactly one thing that Republicans (and a lot of democrats) are dead wrong about.
Trump doesn't know poo poo about economics. He just likes building large things so he can put his name on them. It's just happenstance that creating Trump Interstate Highway and all of the various Trump bridges and airports will be beneficial to the economy.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Everyone's mistake has been thinking that the rural white voter wants things to improve for themselves, when what they really want is for everyone to suffer. They're just a vindictive and cruel lot. It doesn't even matter that they themselves will suffer, as long as the people they dislike (minorities, city folk, elites, etc.) suffer more. They're like accelerationists, but without the hope that things will magically get better later.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

For foreign diplomats, Trump hotel is place to be

quote:

She said much of the discussion among Washington-based diplomats is over “how are we going to build ties with the new administration.”

Back when many expected Trump to lose the election, speculation was rife that business would suffer at the hotels, condos and golf courses that bear his name. Now, those venues offer the prospect of something else: a chance to curry favor or access with the next president.
some said spending money at Trump’s hotel is an easy, friendly gesture to the new president
If diplomats, as well as corporate representatives and executives — whom the hotel hosted in a separate room Tuesday — want to spend lavishly at Trump properties, there appears to be no ethics rule to stop it, short of an act of Congress.
the measures preventing other federal employees from profiting from their positions do not apply to the president. "Consequently, there is no current legal requirement that would compel the President to relinquish financial interests because of a conflict of interest,”
:barf:

Trump is already being read like a book by foreign governments. We're going to get massively hosed as a country on any big league bigly "deals" Trump makes.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

It looks like the juicy poo poo re: the Trump presidency dumpster fire is gonna be slooooow going. I wish there was more insane poo poo going on. I want to see it collapse like a mother.
Yeah, I mean, we're already negative two months into the Trump presidency. What's taking so long?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Some more good news from Slate, as always:

quote:

The president-elect introduced Ruffin to his current wife, former Miss Universe contestant Oleksandra Nikolayenko. Ruffin, then 72, married Nikolayenko, then 26, at a 2008 ceremony where Trump served as best man.
:barf:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

It's been said a million times, but Perez is also a fine, progressive candidate. This seems to simply be a dispute about whether to go with a relative rookie who can devote themselves full-time to the job or a more experienced campaigner who might have to split their energies.
That may be so, but the progressive wing made it clear that Ellison is their choice, and it is only the progressive wing that stands a chance to build enthusiam and maybe rally for future electoral wins during the upcoming dark era. The establishment should just let them have this loving cookie for once. They really should be thanking their lucky stars that they got to keep Schumer in a leadership position at all. There should have been a thorough cleaning of house.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

the black husserl posted:

I already posted in the other trumpy thread, but who cares this should be posted in every thread on the forums. Trump just loving killed climate research with a massive cut to NASA. I can't overstate how big of a deal this is. It's unbelievably hostile to the scientific community. Study of the climate will be forever set back.
Obama needs to start minting enough billion dollar coins to fund necessary government programs for the next eight years.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I mean let's be honest is the margin small enough so that this recount even makes a lock of difference in any oft hose three?
It's unlikely, but possible, that Wisconsin and Michigan could flip to Clinton in a recount. Pennsylvania is probably a lost cause.

Clinton getting Wisconsin and Michigan would put it at 258-280 for Trump, meaning they'd need to snag 12 faithless electors. That number of faithless electors in the modern era is unprecedented, but so are a lot of other things this election. I think faithless electors are more likely this election than normal due to Hillary's overwhelming popular vote win, and the amount of crazy that Trump promises to bring. Preventing someone like Trump from becoming President was the initial intent of the electoral college in the first place, after all.

But it's still a tiny chance to get both Wisconsin and Michigan, and a tiny chance on top of that to get 12 faithless electors. But the chance is not zero. Well worth $7 million to pursue, especially if it's Jill Stein spending it. I think we learned in 2000 that no goodwill or favor is gained by the Democrats being the "adults" and accepting defeat gracefully.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Bhaal posted:

This is probably a really dumb question but given the gap between poll data and election results, have all poll nerds and statisticians been lined up and shot? Or rather, has a postmortem happened on how virtually every independent model was so wrong? I get that it's an extremely dodgy science but from said science angle has any coherent reason of "how we missed this" arisen? I've heard the shame effect of people who were voting trump but didn't want to say so, and that "hillary's firewall" states weren't scrutinized as much in the final weeks, and that implicit biases wormed their way in somehow perhaps due to this being such an unconventional election. I just don't know of that how much of it is people just floating reasons and how much has turned up as "yeah, this is where we went wrong with our polling model".

Also there's of course the mountain of hot takes about how the obama-voting whites in the rust belt flipping because of jobs. I totally get that argument, but how was it not noticed nor coming up in the numbers in, say, october?
The final national polls were not too far off from the national popular vote. It was a few state polls that missed, but that should actually be expected. Sam Wang's 99%+ result was always nonsense, because it was clear to see how a few states being slightly off in their polls could tilt the election to Trump.

It turns out that Nate Silver was right. I think the about 80% chance for Hillary to win was as good of a prediction as could have been generated, and Trump just happened to get lucky in his roll of the dice.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Xae posted:

It is easy to dismiss Trump voters are idiots, but stupid to do so.

Trump told them the lies they wanted to hear. But not all of his supporters are die hards. When he fails to deliver his promises they will abandon him.
They are idiots. The lesson to learn is that Democrats should also start blatantly lying to them and promising things that can't be delivered.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Phone posted:

That's why I'm voting Cloud Strife of the AVALANCHE Party come 2020. We need a candidate with strong, blond hair.
"In addition to being a member of a known terrorist network, Cloud Strife has been seen dressing in drag and visiting a brothel. He has been incarcerated and escaped, only to remain in the area where he is suspected of fixing chocobo races. He has been admitted to a hospital for mental illness.

Cloud Strife: couldn't save Aeris, can't save Midgar."

~ Paid for by the Re-elect President Shinra Committee

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think my favorite thing from conservatives in the post-election time is when you confront them with how much voter suppression there was of poor and minorities they just say that you are the real racist/classist because you underestimate what those people could do to get around the suppression.
Speaking of that, would it be illegal for Democrats to go to cities in states with voter ID laws, and pay people to get an ID and drive them to/from the office, if necessary? Like, just flat out give them $100 and a ride? It seems like it would be a pretty good bang for the buck compared to other things campaigns use absurd amounts of money on.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Condiv posted:

remember when people were saying "hillary is terrible, i'm going to vote third party!" and all the hillfolk were like "well we don't need you anyway, we have moderate republicans to replace you!" :lol:
No, I don't remember that.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

Oh, James Comey's letter absolutely hosed her and probably accounted for as much as a 0.5%-1.0% difference in voter participation/totals in a lot of states.

My point is that against someone like Donald Trump it shouldn't even have been that loving close. But it was, even though Clinton and co. just blithely assumed their invulnerability in WI/MI/PA. WHOOPS
It wasn't just the Comey letter, though. The electoral college is designed to give rural states more than their fair share of power, which translates into Democrats needing a few extra percentage points just to break even. And then key states implemented voter suppression tactics, meaning the Democrats needed to squeeze out another few percentage points more. And then we had the Russians interfering by slow-dripping negative stories about only the Democrats for months on end. And the media as a whole dropped all pretenses of doing proper journalism, and held the two candidates to completely different sets of standards.

Put it all together, and it is remarkable that Hillary polled as well as she did for as long as she did, and remarkable that she won the popular vote by a significant margin. She only lost because 230 years ago a bunch of slave-holding states were afraid of being told they couldn't have slaves anymore by more populous states when they were setting up the method of choosing presidents.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

It's not "fair," but there's more merit to it than you're letting on. The US is a huge country and regional interests are going to vary from place to place. Assigning all representation purely on population would make it legitimately difficult for large parts of the country to have their interests heard. California and New York shouldn't be able to dictate policy to the rest of the country.
There are no significant cultural differences between North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma. Combined, they have less than 1/3 the population of California. They should never have been separate states when they joined the union. Your argument promoting parity of state power regardless of state population must consider what it means to be a state in the first place, and how they came to be as they are.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

I don't disagree with anything of this, but it goes both ways. I live in CT, which is an insanely populous state given its small geographic size (something like 4th or 5th by density), but our political interests are basically aligned with the (also very dense) states around us. Should we also consolidate New England?
I think the original 13 states obviously get a pass. They were distinct entities for a very long time before the U.S. was formed. It is the ones that came later that were arbitrarily assigned (or not so arbitrarily assigned, as the ruling parties were perfectly aware of the outsized power that would be given to new rural states - they purposefully made more than necessary to dilute the urban state votes).

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

The constitution is all that's standing between you and Trumpageddon.
The constitution gave us the lovely electoral system that resulted in Trump being president in the first place, so preventing Trumpageddon is the least it could do. It doesn't deserve praise right now. It's been a very naughty constitution, and should get a time out.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

And there's no practical way you could sell this without it looking like a blatant attempt to reduce Republican representation, which obviously isn't going to fly so long as Republicans still have any power at all. Rhode Island is the 43rd smallest state by population and geographically tiny, so how do you justify leaving it with two Senate seats while consolidating a state like Nebraska, which has twice its population?
I'm not suggesting state consolidation is realistically in the cards. I'm saying that one should consider the nature of what a state is in the present day, and how they came to be, before trotting out the argument about how important it is to protect the outsized political power of less-populated states.

I'll also mention that the ratio of population between most populous state to least populous state when the U.S. was formed was about 17. Today, it is about 70. That's a quadrupling of Senate power for the smallest state. I don't think the framers intended for states to have such dramatic differences in population.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Acid Haze posted:

I don't really understand all the hubbub about the electoral college. I mean, I do, but I don't think discussion about it now is very productive. We've all known how stupid it is for many years, but neither party wants to get rid of it because they both think they know the best way to use it to their advantage. The electoral college bit the Democrats in the rear end in 2000, but during Obama's 8 years the party didn't push any kind of electoral reform and, what do you know, it bit them in the rear end again in 2016.
Significant progress was made on the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact in the years following the 2000 debacle, but they never got enough states on board. That's the only viable alternative outside of a Constitutional amendment, which is not going to happen due to Republicans holding most state legislatures. Also note that all of the members of NPVIC are strong Democratic states, so it is not true that neither party wants to get rid of the electoral college. Everyone knows that it clearly favors Republicans.

quote:

So your hopes of electoral reform lie future senators and congressmen who campaign on electoral reform, and a future president who might make it a priority (most likely a democrat). So the fight then is in the midterms, and trying to elect progressive congressman and senators who will in the future be able to vote for electoral reform if it comes around. And I would expect that if the Dems started pushing electoral reform, Republicans would fight it tooth and nail and what the SCOTUS looks like at that time will have a huge impact.
SCOTUS and the president have nothing to do with Constitutional amendments, and Congress is only partially involved, and requires a 2/3 vote in both houses just to start the process. Most of the heavy lifting is by the state legislatures, and they don't want to do it because they're mostly Republican. NPVIC is only among the states themselves, and therefore the federal government has literally zero impact on it.

Basically, if you really want to get rid of the electoral college, we need to vote Democrats into power in 38 states and then call a constitutional convention. And if we could do that, we'd have NPVIC already, so we probably wouldn't even bother at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's easier to take more states and sign on to the 270 compact while writing things to be as bullshit convoluted as possible for backing out of it. Like, not being allowed to leave unless most signatories agree to leave at the same time.
The problem with NPVIC is that there isn't and can't be any real legal enforcement mechanism if a state decides to go rogue. Depending on the actual procedure for taking the votes at the electoral college, which I'm not at all familiar with, a faithless state could either change the outcome at worst if they are near the last to vote, or at best they could throw everything into complete chaos where the other states' electors would have no idea who to vote for. It could be exceedingly messy.

• Locked thread