Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Venom Snake posted:

Feels more and more like she ran a very very bad low energy campaign which cost her the election instead of reality breaking or w/e. Trump got less votes than McCain did and Hillary is on track to preform better than Obama did in 2012 with the popular vote. So maybe next time not run your campaign with morons like Mook in charge and play it safe with fortifying your strongholds instead of not doing that because reverse psychology.

It seems everyone ran a bad campaign except Trump...

I think the big issue was this was a change election and Hillary Clinton was the furthest away from a change candidate possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

thats definitely part of it, though i think "change" is putting it very broadly. youve gotta feed each faction in your coalition some meat, and the "working class" faction starved. it wasnt just whites, her advantage in some extremely poor, extremely latino (95%) areas was also slimmer than obama's

the low-income trump supporters voted against their own interests, of course, but the fact that theyre rubes doesnt fundamentally change anything. obama was able to speak to them, and obama had an ~55% approval rating on November 8.

"money for retraining" is what was offered (vaguely), and it is a repellent message. "give up your lives and livelihoods, middle-aged voters, and we'll pay for you to learn to program" is not only as infeasible as building the wall, it's a slap in the face. people dont want to leave their towns or their family or their jobs, these are the things that give them dignity and make them feel whole!!!

Yeah, it's more than just 'change'. HRC was a bad candidate who had trouble energizing her base, and her campaign was run by a dummy.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/801568119189884931
https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/801583435454312448

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/801588967942615042

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Zikan posted:

i see that tracey has taken on the hipster version of the bernie->trump scam that harlan hill did

Tracey is king Bernie bro/secret Trump supporter.

I bet he was really upset when Trump said he wasn't going to 'lock her up'.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

as an experiment i logged off and saw how soon it took to look at a democrat shooting themselves in the foot

just 12 seconds scrolling down on twitter and we already have people dogpiling people who express that economics concerns are just as important as identity politics as "racists" while they continue to prop up right-wing economic policies in their party because hamilton tickets aren't cheap

and democrats keep wondering why they lose elections

I was in college during George W Bush's first term so I guess my concept of the left was frozen in that time.

Then during the general election I was shocked when people were cheerlead globalization, neoliberalism, and 'Red Scares'.

I remember during the early 2000s ID politics were important, but the focus was on economic justice.

I'm not sure what happened on the left in the past 14 years but here we are.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

It blew my mind when leftists pointed to bankers threatening to leave as evidence that Brexit was a bad thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qYQXRk5glA

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

I for one am really looking forward to Hillary 2020.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

MizPiz posted:

I would personally love to see what a hate crime against a white kid looks like. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-_Ah1RzgEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hdH5TtjnLw

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

AFL-CIO has endorsed Ellison.

Wonder if they will start birther questions about him next.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Hillary lost those white voters in the rust belt because IM WITH HER isn't going to save their lovely small towns and bring jobs back.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN at least sounds like it may help their horrible lives.

bing bong bing so simple.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Refugees were not a big issue.

A big issue is that half the rust belt is addicted to oxy and working two jobs to keep heat pumping into their bungalow or double wide.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

"poo poo, got laid off at the plant 4 years back hadn't had a decent job since. Been work'n the warehouse over on Chester street in the days, and on a few nights I clean the floors over at the wallmart."

*pops an oxy and washes it down with coke zero.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

So simple.

Also how the gently caress did dems go from "hope and change" to "I'm with her" and "love trumps hate" in an election season defined by people wanting extreme changes to the status quo.

We were arrogant, smug, and filled with hubris.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Well What Now posted:

-Hillary Clinton, 2016

Ouch!

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Dem's should just run Tom Hanks.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

They already tried to smear Ellison with linking him to anti-semitism. They will try and derail him again.

As some of you know I dip my toe in the right wing bubble from time to time. The right does not want Ellison. They want the dems to hold tight to the old and the tired. When Pelosi won leadership, they were thrilled.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

loquacius posted:

One of the things that happened today is that Karl loving Rove wrote an op-ed for the WSJ as reported by Fox News Dot Com about how he really wishes Keith Ellison gets the DNC Chair position, and oh please don't throw me in that briar patch

what a crafty, dastardly plan from nefarious puppetmaster Karl Rove, the inventor of the top-secret political technique known as "reverse psychology"

In the word's of President elect Donald J Trump "Karl Rove is a loser!"

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Lastgirl posted:

honestly tho, has Karl Rove ever been relevant since the 2000s?

No. And thank god for it.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

She's back!!!!

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/806976102837190656

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

The right are pumped that Pelosi leads the dems in the house, they aren't 'shaking in their boots' over Ellison, but they would rather Dean.

Regardless the right is VERY confident right now and think they got the dems beat in 2018, and most likely 2020. Especially if Dems keep putting up old and tired establishment candidates.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Comet Pizza Ping Pong guy's prof pic was a picture of Antinous.

That's all the evidence this True Detective needs. Book 'em Danno!

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Comet Pizza was actually on my 'list of places to check out' in DC given to me by my Hill staffer buddy.

WHAT WAS HE TRYING TO TELL ME?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

David Brock on the Politico Podcast. Why Hillary lost:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/politicos-off-message/id987591126

Reasons why Hillary lost:

Comey.
Loretta Lynch - She should have stopped Comey.
Russians!
Voter Suppression.
Fake News!
The Main Stream media.
Sexism.
Millennials(This is Bernie's fault)
Bernie.
The Hillary campaign didn't compete in Wisconsin.
Didn't press the fact Trump is a conman. Instead focused on racism/fitness to lead.

Other stuff:
- Brock is REALLY angry when people say Hillary was a bad candidate with no message.
- Blames the campaign press strategy for destroying Hillary's credibility with voters(not taking down CLINTON CASH)
- Brock says media brass is completely in the tank for Trump, including MSNBC(???)
- Times is anti-Clinton.
- Hillary was liked by the press, should have been feared. The press are animals and Trump made them fear him.
- Too much analytics.
- Brock says the way Trump played PUSSYGATE was perfect. He went right after the Clintons. Brock says his sister bought the "Locker room-talk" line and voted Trump.
- Clinton foundation and the Clinton campaign couldn't come up with a joint defense from attack(Brock blames the HRC campaign for this)
- Brock brings up PIZZAGATE. His ex-boyfriend, James Alfeantis, is the owner of Comet Ping Pong. James is under constant death threats. Broke starts to tear up here.

On Trump:
- Trump is a proto-fascist
- "Keep him unpopular" should be the strategy moving forward.
- The Generals in his cabinet are the only ray of light. Brock thinks they will keep Trump in check.

Lots of stuff there. Brock puts a lot on Sanders. Says CTR was only 15 kids...

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Brock says the HRC campaign had no persuasion script for campaign canvassers... That they had deep analytics but no real outreach.

Also he says HRC is not going to retire, and that she's more popular than Bernie, and she won the popular vote!

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

That seems like a bad idea. Like I know you don't mean this at the exclusion of all else, but even in a greater context, I don't think the Dem base would take that seriously. And Trump blithely dismissing this stuff will be the even more cool, relatable version of Hillary looking annoyed with Trey Gowdy.

Dems' eyes should be on Paul Ryan. This entire idea that people are painting him as the 'good sensible Republican' when they need to have the knives out for him as he plans to dismantle entitlement programs further- that's a narrative you can win against a snot-eating dork like Ryan, and it's the right thing to do for people.

Trump hates Paul Ryan, and Bannon wants him dead.

Lets see what happens... Maybe they can make a deal.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Joementum posted:

He did include a link to the real Gmail password reset form in his email back to Podesta, but that's not the one John decided to click. :rip:

And people think this guy ran a high level super secret pedo ring?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

anyway this is my pitch to Vice, a six part docudrama where I find the internet maoists and just let them rant at a camera and only occasionally ask them a few questions to keep the rants going. I'll call it Finding Anime Communists with the subtitle 'Lol if you think UHC is an extreme view'.

What about internet Stalinists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6aiYFpQBPs

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/810539127783518208
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/810511398912610304

Really looking forward to Hillary 2020.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Serf posted:

holy poo poo so much of this is garbage. trying to tie Ellison to an idpol message is incredible when he's the one pushing the economic message lmao

The right - Rush Limbaugh and his cadre of fucks, are also pushing the line that Ellison is all about idpol.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Serf posted:

can't wait 2 see dems and rush limbaugh spouting the same poo poo lol

They already are. The Farrakhan attack line came straight out of talk-radio land.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Crosspost from the TRUMP thread:

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/06/o...col-left-region

Mayor Hillary Clinton!

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Hillary to run against Don Jr for Mayor of New York City and once again not show up at the Javits center after she loses.

Later people will wonder how she lost after only campaigning in the Hamptons.

Brighton Beach hackers will then be implicated...

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/821799089411133442

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

I am a Jewish antifascist activist, and my greatest concern is to remove the most prominent Jewish antifascist man from politics for good.

Yeah, ID politics can become corrosive and exclusive when taken to absurd extremes.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/821823052023558144

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

For those involved in Democratic Party politics, are you guys starting to see the left go "all in" like the Right did in 2009?

In 2009 the Right began doing the following:

- Started the teaparty. One umbrella group for all grass roots activists on the Right.
- Constant protests/resistance/obstruction.
- Used every single media platform they controlled to blast Obama 24/7.
- Coordination between Think tanks, Lobbyists, GOP Politicians, Right-wing media and the grass roots to further their political goals.
- Used their media figures(Rush, Hannity, ect) to mobilize their grass roots to action, especially during state and mid-term elections.
- Targeting, shaming, and primarying Republicans who didn't get with the program.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

UHD posted:

wasn't the tea party heavily astroturfed though

It started astroturfed then became organic over time.

Regardless it worked, and by harnessing the energies of the grass roots the far-right was able to take over almost every office in America.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Dems also need a Reagan figure to hero worship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/rickperlstein/status/824333043179655170

• Locked thread