Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

remember when hill shills got mad as gently caress about the bernie folks booing him and cuomo during the DNC lol

while salivating over the crying white berniegirls, i should add

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mirthless posted:

No leftist entertainer forged from the last eight years does. They're all soft and weak because they've forgotten, or never knew, what it was like under the Bush years.

Ineffective leftist pundits are going to go fast in the next four years. Trevor Noah will probably be first.

if last night's TDS was any indication, this is likely

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I don't quite understand the anger at people like Bernie and Warren that some are expressing because they've said they'll work with Trump on populist issues. He's president whether they like it or not and there is real crossover in what he talked about in his campaign and what they want to do. If they can get part of their agenda passed with a republican led house and senate who cares if Trump is the guy signing it in to law?

from what ive seen the people mad about bernie at the least have been posters that hate the gently caress out of him to begin with

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Big Hillary supporter who shat on Bernie as hard as he could Al Franken?

I never saw this :(

But hillfolk were getting so bad I started ducking out for days at a time at one point so I probably missed it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Condiv posted:

remember when hillary refused to release her wall street transcripts and her faithful gave her a pass? remember when it came out that hillary was indeed in bed with wallstreet and her faithful blew it off because they were blinded by sunk cost fallacy?

good times

lmao where is this from

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cubey posted:

people actually got mad that andrew loving cuomo got booed?

cuomo is probably the worst democrat who holds any position in the entire country what the gently caress

they got mad at loving everything, it was honestly pretty amazing.

never think for a second that this forum wasn't half neolibs who vote democrat solely because it's in their own personal interests instead of any sense of broad empathy

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

goddamn that got buried

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

anime was right posted:

i wonder why...

like i remember the "public and private position" poo poo coming up but i dont remember a single mention of what condiv initially posted

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

as much as this owns, boy there's a lot of folks replying to that that are 100% The Problem

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pick posted:

Oh, and to be honest, there's an equivalent "deplorables" attitude towards second-wave feminists that has driven a lot of them into FYGM territory. People tend to think "political correctness" is a white men v. everybody proposition, and that is a huge oversimplification. A lot of older, 50-something white women do not like being chastised by tattooed, pierced, poly millennial women with undercuts. Whether it's justified or not, knowing as many older women as I do, I am confident this phenomenon is very real. Progressivism can't take women for granted either, and can't condescend to them. A lot of people are pissed at the idea they have to be in lock-step with the loudest voice in the room.

maybe those older feminists also shouldnt tell the younger ones that they're just thinking with their vaginas when it comes to supporting candidates

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Someone in this forum once joked that American feminism is about putting women in a position to oppress the underclass and I sometimes fear that this was not only not a joke for a chunk of feminists, but applies to other social movements as well.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

NumberLast posted:

Liberalism is about supporting the rights if women, minorities and the lgbt community

...to step on the necks of the poor

People I saw on this forum are a big part of why that fear exists~

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Also he helped vilify Bernie. Dean deserves a bus.

this will probably and hopefully ultimately sink him

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shark Sandwich posted:

So basically we have to have a civil war because the people who gave us abuela won't admit defeat

More or less. They have no actual leg to stand on, but they landed in the positions and have their little networks and they're going to fight tooth and nail to hold on to relevancy.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

"all voices should be heard"

"and the poorest ignored"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

LinYutang posted:

machine learning! big data! microtargeting! algorithms!

i feel it would be poetic of the silicon valley bubble burst right about now

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

One of the things keeping me sane is people liking this thread and my post. Christ these past few days have been nightmarish

I hope the Zach story made you happy

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

This election has broken and changed me in new and exciting ways.

exclusive pic of c-spam right now.

the whole forum is on a cob

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah Booker should not be surprising. As a last dying gasp of the neoliberal wing he's pretty much perfect - all of Hillary's love of capital, but with something resembling charisma.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

quote:

But in general, Bill Clinton’s viewpoint of fighting for the working class white voters was often dismissed with a hand wave by senior members of the team as a personal vendetta to win back the voters who elected him, from a talented but aging politician who simply refused to accept the new Democratic map.

Holy poo poo I can't get enough of this line.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hilario Baldness posted:

I guess if there's a beautiful symbol from this campaign, I'd point to a hilarious moment from Clinton's campaign. At one point she had a Facebook post saying something to the effect of, "Share this to be entered into a drawing where the winner gets to see Hamilton on Broadway with Hillary." An extravagant broadway play about Alexander Hamilton, a man who hated the "Great beast of the masses" and favored a system resembling monarchy over representative government. Watch that play alongside a member of the country's most influential political dynasty.

:irony:

the dem love affair with hamilton is, generally, pretty amazing

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

Cool, Maddow burying her head in the sand and blaming Russia. Sweet.

I've genuinely lost so much respect for Maddow during this whole process.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

if you want cool you go to chris mathews

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

If she gets the dems +1 seat in congress it will actually be useful. I won't complain until she starts trying to ruin other peoples time.

she will absolutely ruin other peoples time because she is a clinton

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

holy lol this elitist anti-EC rant on MSNBC

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

God Lawrence O'Donnell is a poo poo. "Why are we talking about Hillary needing to win more votes when she won the most votes?!?!?"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

zen death robot posted:

This is the bargaining phase, and tbh the electoral college sucks but he's wording it badly.

It's not ideal but it's good that a candidate can't just win a selection of cities and call it a day, giving the finger to less dense areas and their issues like was attempted this time.

Plus the sucking off of Hamilton was just sending my eyes a'rolling anyway.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SpRahl posted:

Hate to be that guy but who is Corey Booker and why should I be worried about him being the next darling of the party?

To build a little further on what neeksy said, he said that Obama's attacks on Bain Capital were "nauseating."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Holy poo poo. I just got hypertension.

There is so much tripling-down on the strategy from this year in there that it's almost funny.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"the white vote is shrinking! the white vote is shrinking!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I like knowing in my heart of hearts that chris hayes just kind of stared at that tweet for a bit before slowly typing that response

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

because boy is that a bad tweet

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

He also has connections which means funding, like it or not, that money is a necessity to keep a newer progressive DNC chugging along.

Thing is, I don't think fundraising is going to be a problem considering the primary face of the opposition is Donald Trump..

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thoguh posted:

People like A Winner is Jew, Zoux, Al!, and the mods who enabled them were insufferable assholes who chased out every non-terrible poster in this forum (also protip: if a D&D poster says somebody is a good poster that actually means they are a terrible poster). I'm proud of him for owning up to it so don't take this as a current attack on him but don't encourage him to start back up again.

Free Matey.

Just because I can't help myself when he's mentioned because holy poo poo what a bad poster, but a reminder that zoux said it was fine for him to say that a black poster wasn't black because of intersectionality.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

RasperFat posted:

All of this support and she had to spend serious effort to fight off Maple Grandpa? That should have been setting off massive alarms

This is probably very true. It felt like she had to call in every single favor she'd collected over the last decade at least to get the nomination in a field she made a point to cull beforehand, and that is...uh, that was not a predictor of success.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'd say the thing to be generally conscious of is when social issues are blatantly being used as a shield against economic critique of the affluent, at least in the short term. Though that doesn't mean stop fighting for them - just don't let them be used again like they were this time. That poo poo does no one any good.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Princess Di posted:

I see.

Right racism has to be discussed but beware of disturbing silence when it comes to the nitty gritty like single payer.

The problem with wedge issues is you can wedge people apart with them.

Pretty much, yeah.

Like, legitimately trying to avoid actual Primary chat as much as possible, I don't think it's inaccurate of me to say that the social issue-focused progressives and the economics-focused progressives got set against each other hard this year. It's something I think was fully intended, with the expectation being that the social conscience of the people on the economics end would get the better of them and they'd turn out for the Democrats anyway - God knows it's why I went out and voted for Hillary on Tuesday, even if it was here in Alabama. I figure that's something I'm not alone in. But ultimately it was an approach meant to protect the self-interests of party elites from things that make them look bad, and it blew up in absolutely everyone's faces to give us what we now have. And that just isn't fair to me, to see the issues of any vulnerable population used like that.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

can someone quote the 5,000+ fishmech posts doing this, but with every single thing related to sanders

tia

i wouldn't wish doing that on anyone

except fishmech

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

weiner: a name, a euphemism, or a prophecy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Can we talk now about how the idea that "demographics are destiny" is basically unreconstructed race science?

i dont know what that is but it bothered the poo poo out of me that the goal seemed to be to wait until a poor-off demographic had no functional voice

• Locked thread