Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Zythrst posted:

Sam B has no credibility.

No leftist entertainer forged from the last eight years does. They're all soft and weak because they've forgotten, or never knew, what it was like under the Bush years.

Ineffective leftist pundits are going to go fast in the next four years. Trevor Noah will probably be first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mirthless posted:

No leftist entertainer forged from the last eight years does. They're all soft and weak because they've forgotten, or never knew, what it was like under the Bush years.

Ineffective leftist pundits are going to go fast in the next four years. Trevor Noah will probably be first.

if last night's TDS was any indication, this is likely

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Lawman 0 posted:

just for the record you're still an idiot.

ok

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Just lmao @ people suggesting more Democrats to run as the answer to this issue. Did you loving jabronis not learn anything this week? The Democratic Party is over; it's a trash organization that cannot be reformed and it needs to be put in the dumpster where it belongs. We need a new party of the people.

Then take it over from the inside. Indications suggest that that the time is ripe. The leadership has failed but the structure is there. And if you believe Hillary Clinton is a lovely candidate with no redeeming qualities as you probably do, it has a good chunk of the American populace willing to vote for a completely lovely candidate behind it, which it has locked up and your new party of the people wouldn't have. This is why the right-populist Tea Party has been successful in getting what it wants (deadlocked government, extremist R leaders, no tax raises or additional government programs). Organization and experts and infrastructure aren't a bad thing, inherently.

Like, let's do a counterfactual. Imagine if when Trump runs and gets the R nomination, the RNC decides to dump on him entirely rather than reluctantly falling in line. No funding. No infrastructure. No data. It tells its voters to stay home, because even Clinton nominating Bernie Sanders for Supreme Court Justice is better than Donald Trump nominating Peter Thiel. They all go and back Mcmuffin instead. Donald Trump does a third party run. I think you'd see Clinton dunk the gently caress out of him, even with nothing else changing.

Conversely, imagine if Sanders went third party and Clinton did everything right. She made a message that resonated with the white working class, got true intersectionality between the dispossessed like Sanders wanted, etc etc. But you'd have Sanders there spreading a similar message, just even moreso. I think you'd see Clinton get owned even worse than she did now.

But not only do the elite have an outsize voice, false class consciousness is huge in America. People think of themselves as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. You need a party by and for the people, which advocates progressive policy and left-wing economics, which is against austerity and for tax raises and for long-term infrastructure investment and for jobs and against financial fuckery, but you also need to assure people that it isn't going to take away their hard-earned money. And I think that's the other part of Donald Trump's magical lie we aren't discussing. He was talking about how he'd bring jobs back, but also about how he's let you keep the money you earned. About how the government is taking away your money and wasting it. You need some elite appeal because there are a lot of not-wealthy people who think they're part of the elite and will therefore vote for pro-elite policies.

The fact that doing so will allow the elite to acquiesce to you rather than trying to sabotage you is a side benefit.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don't quite understand the anger at people like Bernie and Warren that some are expressing because they've said they'll work with Trump on populist issues. He's president whether they like it or not and there is real crossover in what he talked about in his campaign and what they want to do. If they can get part of their agenda passed with a republican led house and senate who cares if Trump is the guy signing it in to law?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mastershakeman posted:

my co-workers have been hyping him and Gavin newsome all morning

oh man, you guys thought romney was a robot? wait until you meet gavin on the national stage

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I don't quite understand the anger at people like Bernie and Warren that some are expressing because they've said they'll work with Trump on populist issues. He's president whether they like it or not and there is real crossover in what he talked about in his campaign and what they want to do. If they can get part of their agenda passed with a republican led house and senate who cares if Trump is the guy signing it in to law?

from what ive seen the people mad about bernie at the least have been posters that hate the gently caress out of him to begin with

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

my co-workers have been hyping him and Gavin newsome all morning

gavin newsome is another one that must be stopped at all costs

also in the look for tolerable democrats, keep an eye on Cortez Masto, she owes her seat due to nevada being the only rapidly unionizing state in the country and it is sounding like she's gonna go full "gently caress trump"

https://twitter.com/CatherineForNV/status/796428045489827840
https://twitter.com/CatherineForNV/status/796428815828299776
https://twitter.com/CatherineForNV/status/796429129595764736

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Oh Snapple! posted:

remember when hill shills got mad as gently caress about the bernie folks booing him and cuomo during the DNC lol

Need bigger signs here stat!!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Say one thing about Hillary Clinton, say she connects with affluent white women in the twilight of their careers who need one last moment of validation.

Any hope of validation for Clinton went flying out the window when she said we have to unify under Trump.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Thoguh posted:

i mean bernie's whole message was "hey if trump proposes something good (which he won't) i'm willing to look at it otherwise he can eat poo poo"

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

MJ12 posted:

Then take it over from the inside. Indications suggest that that the time is ripe. The leadership has failed but the structure is there. And if you believe Hillary Clinton is a lovely candidate with no redeeming qualities as you probably do, it has a good chunk of the American populace willing to vote for a completely lovely candidate behind it, which it has locked up and your new party of the people wouldn't have. This is why the right-populist Tea Party has been successful in getting what it wants (deadlocked government, extremist R leaders, no tax raises or additional government programs). Organization and experts and infrastructure aren't a bad thing, inherently.

Like, let's do a counterfactual. Imagine if when Trump runs and gets the R nomination, the RNC decides to dump on him entirely rather than reluctantly falling in line. No funding. No infrastructure. No data. It tells its voters to stay home, because even Clinton nominating Bernie Sanders for Supreme Court Justice is better than Donald Trump nominating Peter Thiel. They all go and back Mcmuffin instead. Donald Trump does a third party run. I think you'd see Clinton dunk the gently caress out of him, even with nothing else changing.

Conversely, imagine if Sanders went third party and Clinton did everything right. She made a message that resonated with the white working class, got true intersectionality between the dispossessed like Sanders wanted, etc etc. But you'd have Sanders there spreading a similar message, just even moreso. I think you'd see Clinton get owned even worse than she did now.

But not only do the elite have an outsize voice, false class consciousness is huge in America. People think of themselves as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. You need a party by and for the people, which advocates progressive policy and left-wing economics, which is against austerity and for tax raises and for long-term infrastructure investment and for jobs and against financial fuckery, but you also need to assure people that it isn't going to take away their hard-earned money. And I think that's the other part of Donald Trump's magical lie we aren't discussing. He was talking about how he'd bring jobs back, but also about how he's let you keep the money you earned. About how the government is taking away your money and wasting it. You need some elite appeal because there are a lot of not-wealthy people who think they're part of the elite and will therefore vote for pro-elite policies.

The fact that doing so will allow the elite to acquiesce to you rather than trying to sabotage you is a side benefit.

So you're suggesting a strategy of kindly asking the ruling class to give up their power? Here lemme write up a quick article describing the many times in history when that's worked:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mirthless posted:

This is The Age of Chapo

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Thoguh posted:

No dummy you don't fix things, you keep them around as wedge issues, jeez man.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

LmaoTheKid posted:

One Democrat said that...

I voted for him, and tried to get him the nomination. This is a thread for how mainstream Democrats can fix things going forward. The answer is that they need populism. Actual populism is loud, shouty, and very thin on specifics. It is also angry at the right targets, because if it isn't it'll be angry at the wrong ones. The right targets are globalists. I do not mean jews or whatever, I mean people who consider themselves citizens of the world. We can be citizens of the world after we get our poo poo together. Until then, gently caress the world except when it benefits us. Fighting global warming benefits us, giving aid money benefits us, our diplomatic stances benefit us. The Dems need to get loud and angry about these things, not about the things that don't. Clinton should have been saying no DAPL, she should have been talking about mitigating the effects of climate change as a way to get people Over There to stay Over There, and she should have repudiated globalists and shouted America First. We can absolutely make those words mean whatever we want, the Republicans don't have a monopoly on propaganda.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pomp posted:

When do I wake up

I thought you were already woke.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Have Terry Crews reprise his role as President Camacho and run him on the Dem ticket 2020 to outcrazy Donald Trump. I'm not sure if i'm joking or not.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zikan posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if Cory Booker is looking into a run

he must stopped at all costs if he does
He sucks for shilling for Bain Capital of all places, he's probably not economically progressive at all, and would just lead to the dems continuing to hemorrhage house and senate seats. He might be able to win the presidency though. So sort of like Obama

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

He sucks for shilling for Bain Capital of all places, he's probably not economically progressive at all, and would just lead to the dems continuing to hemorrhage house and senate seats. He might be able to win the presidency though. So sort of like Obama

which is why he must be stopped. he would essentially be charismatic hillary that can give a decent speech. it would be a victory for third wayism and if we plan to actually govern this country we need to purge it out

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

So you're suggesting a strategy of kindly asking the ruling class to give up their power? Here lemme write up a quick article describing the many times in history when that's worked:

When the ruling class is desperate for some way to assure themselves that they won't be completely hosed, and an easy way to do that is to take over the machines they created and turn them towards your ends, so they feel safer about it and don't directly oppose you. I don't think that's hard, a lot of them seem pretty desperate.

Also the other main point is that there is all this shiny infrastructure which gives you a pretty significant base ripe for the taking, you might as well take it rather than put the "trash organization" into the dumpster along with whatever guys vote (D) as a reflex because you don't really need that 20% or 30% of the vote. Like maybe when you're seeing mass flight from the Democratic party you'd be right.

But it's not there yet, and if the Democrats run a populist message I don't think it'll happen. And I think that Venom Snake is right that there's a lot of people willing to try that.

MJ12 has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Nov 10, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Peztopiary posted:

I voted for him, and tried to get him the nomination. This is a thread for how mainstream Democrats can fix things going forward. The answer is that they need populism. Actual populism is loud, shouty, and very thin on specifics. It is also angry at the right targets, because if it isn't it'll be angry at the wrong ones. The right targets are globalists. I do not mean jews or whatever, I mean people who consider themselves citizens of the world. We can be citizens of the world after we get our poo poo together. Until then, gently caress the world except when it benefits us. Fighting global warming benefits us, giving aid money benefits us, our diplomatic stances benefit us. The Dems need to get loud and angry about these things, not about the things that don't. Clinton should have been saying no DAPL, she should have been talking about mitigating the effects of climate change as a way to get people Over There to stay Over There, and she should have repudiated globalists and shouted America First. We can absolutely make those words mean whatever we want, the Republicans don't have a monopoly on propaganda.

Peztopiary posted:

I think we'll see a strong backlash against some of the Alt-Right stuff. Listening to the losing side after the election you hear people angry about racism/sexism/bigotry who didn't vote. Well gently caress, if you don't vote you don't matter.

You can start by not saying people who don't vote don't matter.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Treating disenfranchised people as disposable demographics who don't factor into your political calculus is why you got the numbers wrong AND loving LOST.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mastershakeman posted:

yea it's loving hilarious. she didn't want an Obama 2.0 and completely wrecked the party apparatus with help from Kaine and dws

Very Pragmatic.

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011
What about Al Franken?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Peztopiary posted:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Treating disenfranchised people as disposable demographics who don't factor into your political calculus is why you got the numbers wrong AND loving LOST.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

FYI, I can say with nearly 100% certainty that this is happening right now because the DNC is practically begging the AFL-CIO to not abandon them going forward.

The AFL-CIO and all of the major labor unions in this country are strongly considering dropping their de-facto support of the DNC every election. We spent an absolutely insane amount of money this election alone on GOTV operations for D candidates nationwide... money we could have used to hire several thousand organizers and ran issue based/local referendum campaigns in all 50 states.

There's very much a mindset of "what, exactly, have we gotten the past ~30 years from the Democratic party? they take our support for granted."

A lot of people in the labor movement consider Obama not going to Wisconsin during the Walker stuff nearly as damaging to our cause as Reagan and the Air Traffic Controllers.

I hope they do, because labor unions are to the Dems what religious groups are to the Repubs: groups they feel like they can ignore because their support isn't conditional anymore.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

the left's reflexive attitude towards opportunity is of course defeatism

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Fast Luck posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co7GpMks8UA

thsi guy will play well in the rust belt

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You can start by not saying people who don't vote don't matter.

The only time it's acceptable to say people who don't vote don't matter is if it's part of a pitch to convince them that they can matter and should matter while offering someone or something that is worth voting for.

And even then it's kind of a risky proposal.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

agent_wildflower posted:

What about Al Franken?

Big Hillary supporter who shat on Bernie as hard as he could Al Franken?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I never saw this :(

But hillfolk were getting so bad I started ducking out for days at a time at one point so I probably missed it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

HannibalBarca posted:

Speaking of the Democratic party being in shambles right now, let's count the ways:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/democratic-party-in-crisis-trump-president-231134

“I don’t know who’s in charge. Who would email me?” said one state party chairman when asked if he’d heard from other party leaders.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

loving these so hard. We/they knew this day was coming, but they thought it would be 2020 or 2024 maybe even later. Unfortunately, they ignored the rurals/blue collars/whites and after smelling their own farts for a long enough time until they started activily making GBS threads on there groups, was some of it justified, yeah, but they pissed away the majority in the hopes goal that is a long ways away.

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, he supported Hillary but he definitely did not poo poo on Bernie.

nopants
May 29, 2004

agent_wildflower posted:

What about Al Franken?

Hates freedom.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
We are going to have to work with people who supported hillary, and we don't want to alienate them any more than we do anyone else. But we do need to make them understand that her and her power structure are loving dead, and we do need to ignore and oppose anyone who tries to rebuild it in her image.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

dude is absolutely gonna be the last gasp of the neoliberals if sanders is successful in a corbyn style takeover of the DNC

Thoguh posted:

there's gonna be a lot of these, we need to allow some to make penance but make sure they're fully behind left economic populism or else imo

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Dapper_Swindler posted:

loving these so hard. We/they knew this day was coming, but they thought it would be 2020 or 2024 maybe even later. Unfortunately, they ignored the rurals/blue collars/whites and after smelling their own farts for a long enough time until they started activily making GBS threads on there groups, was some of it justified, yeah, but they pissed away the majority in the hopes goal that is a long ways away.

OTOH maybe it's good that the dems has to face those issues today instead of in 2020

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

quote:

As a first step, I believe it necessary for the members and leadership of the Democratic National Committee to step down and be replaced by people who are determined to create a party that represents America -- including all those who feel powerless and disenfranchised, and who have been left out of our politics and left behind in our economy.

The Democratic Party has become a giant fundraising machine, too often reflecting the goals and values of the moneyed interests. This must change. The election of 2016 has repudiated it. We need a people's party that's ready and able to oppose Donald Trump's Republican party, which is about to take over the three branches of our government, and poses a threat to everything we believe in. We need a new Democratic Party capable of organizing and mobilizing Americans to fight intolerance and widening inequality.

if robert reich ran for president I'd vote for him

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fullhouse posted:

if robert reich ran for president I'd vote for him

he needs to gently caress off as does everyone who was in the fuckbarn clinton white house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
This came up yesterday but I don't think it got answered. Did it ever come out if any of that Hillary Victory Fund money made it back to the states after the convention? Because the democrats continued their trend of losing statehouses and governorships on Tuesday and that's going to impact people's day to day lives a lot more than having an orange buffoon in the White House will.

• Locked thread