Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1_QQQhDG4Y

Stream for anyone looking for one

Tae posted:

Did Silver basically just suggest that players can't rest on road games?

If you are taking it to the extreme, but having 3 non injured starters rest on the road is probably not a great idea and it's probably not hard to find a compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

Wow Lonzo even skipped the draft show. This is where ESPN tosses you softballs and the casual fan gets sold on people.

Everyone knows the Draft Lottery show can only hurt your stock, not help it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Wiggins 3pt shooting is going to be off the charts this season

euphronius posted:

The shirley Temple right there.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why do these use 1,000 balls instead of just 100?

%s go to 3 sigdigs

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

LOL

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ok, so now Boston has to be looking to move that pick, right?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It also means taking the ball out of ITs hands, or benching Avery Bradley (who becomes a lot less useful against other bench units). I think Boston has a lot more chance if they move this pick for someone like Butler or something and putting together a 3 year run than try to bring Fultz along, likely lose IT, and probably waste Horford.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Ironically Markkanen is the exact player Timberwolves fans were clamoring for last year before the order was drawn and they thought they could get Ingram and turn him into an instant stretch 4. Now your instant stretch 4 is here and you don't want him!

I think we need a defensive SF who can shoot the 3, push LaVine as a 30+-minutes off the bench guy, and let Wiggins play the 2 where he is a lot more dangerous. A stretch 4 is the 2nd biggest need, and Markkanen is a good fit, but I think a lot of people are nervous with him because of the bust factor there. Definitely a risk you take in the mid-late lottery though.

nooneofconsequence posted:

The time to trade for the pick for Butler was before the deadline and the ping pong balls. There's no way they do it now. The best thing they can do is sign Hayward and bring over Zizic and see what that group can do. That and they've got a good shot at winning the lottery again next year.

The Cavaliers literally got an all-star with their #1 pick a few years ago and got to the Finals 2(3) times in a row and winning a chip. You absolutely can do that with this pick and there is actually a pretty nice blueprint.

And I thought it was known the Celtics cap space will go to a Kelly Olynyk max contract.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/paulpierce34/status/864646029961863169

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

If you're worried about 'Bust Factor' and then you draft Issac, lookout. There's a lot more risk involved in that pick than "best shooter in college."

I think there's risk all over at that place in the draft. I like Markkanen though, and you have me leaning back that way if he's there. If Isaac truly becomes Harrison Barnes +2 inches I'm coming back to you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

Regardless, the jumper problem is just one of the many glaring issues with Ball.

What other glaring problems?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Minnesota needs shooting badly, but Isaac would be a good fit and seems like a Thibs player. I think it will depend on how things shake out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I bet the Kings could get Rubio for the #10.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I hope Lonzo goes to the Kings, plays really well and says all the right stuff about being part of the organization while his dad impotently rages in the background.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

. An ACL is an injury that players in every sport fully recover from, in 2017.

You recover but it still takes a year+, which might affect how he develops.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

I've seen so much random analysis of all the potential top 10 picks at this point that I feel like all we can hope for as fans is that your coaching staff does great job analyzing and feeling out the candidates during the workouts and gets a realistic idea of what they actually can fix. I'm feeling optimistic of the Sixers coaching staff's ability to do this, though Okafor's lack of development should probably give me some pause. Summer League is going to be really interesting.

Okafor got a bit more efficient, passed more, and turned the ball over less while adjusting to an entirely different role (that never stabilized) from his first to his 2nd year. Skill wise he definitely progressed, but when you get jerked in and out of lineups it hurts you. The fact that he mostly kept his numbers where they were is a good sign.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/870287990932869120

Lakers. Taking. Ball.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

What could they get for him. Late 1, maybe a couple good 2nds?

I'd trade okafor for him lol.

Probably something like that. I think even in this cap you can probably get a comparable player for 11 mil a year in FA, though I guess Clarkson still has some upside.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Space Camp fuckup posted:

That's a really weird mock draft. It has the Suns taking Tatum even though Josh Jackson is still available.

The Suns pick was entirely to justify the 76ers trade by having Josh Jackson still be available.

And the Celtics give up more now than they were willing to give for Paul George, despite winning the lottery is also weird.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, if you think you have some skills Sacramento seems like the best route to a max contract for a PG. You are going to get LOTS of burn and probably front office cover.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The NBA Combine measurements are usually legit. The ones from the college are usually the most suspect. I dunno if they were hiding his wingspan or just lazy/bad at measurements.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Who is LA taking if they pass on Ball?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

JJ seems like a bad fit for Philly, but there is a ton of star potential there so I can definitely see them rating him in a higher tier than Ball. If the Lakers take JJ then Ball would give them a potential big-time scorer and his weaknessed are covered by Simmons (in theory).

It would have been really nice to have even 15-20 games of Simmons in the NBA to judge what they should do in this draft though.

MourningView posted:

Magic said they were still looking for a point guard or something to that effect, I think, and they played him off ball a lot at the end of the year (though they were also tanking at the end of the year so). But really I think it'll just depend on who they think the BPA is. If it's a PG they'll move Russell off ball. If they decide they'd rather have Jackson he'll probably stay at PG

I think most teams now try to have two playmakers/ball handlers anyway. If you have that in the backcourt which one is SG and which one is PG is pretty irrelevant.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

if Jackson can develop any short of shot, he will be the best fit on any team that doesn't have an All-NBA wing. If he can't shoot, he will be out of the league in 4 years.

How many wings that can't shoot are all-star level? Uh, MKG?

Lots of guys are all-star wings/PGs who didn't shoot well in college. I dunno about the free throw thing though and that might be more worrying.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Adjust draft order accordingly

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I wonder if Vlade tries to get cute and take Tatum at #5 if Issac is off the board. Minnesota would take Lauri in that case? and one of Frank, DSJ, or Monk should be on the board then.

They should take Lauri but I think Thibs would still want his Point Guard and take DSJ there.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Was Dunn really that good of a prospect last year or was it the case of being the only girl at the bar

Dunn was an alright prospect and I think most people had him going earlier. He was a senior, though he had two good years at Providence. He just couldn't hit a thing in the pros. He is legit a great defensive PG, but he's a good case study that a PG who is great defensively but terrible offensively is far less valuable than the inverse.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Ringer's draft guide now has Tatum at #2, Josh Jackson at #6, and the Bolden hype train at #16

Being dumb is one way to drive views.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

I've been trying to figure out how good Donovan Mitchell can be and "defensive-minded combo guard" isn't the best archetype to fall into. Marcus Smart is ok I guess?

Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, PatBev, George Hill.... Lots of decent players in that ilk, though they all have some sort of offensive skill.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I would normally say this is all BS, but I don't think anyone saw Boston take Jaylen Brown last year or Cleveland taking Bennett (although that year there was no tier 1 prospects....maybe not even any tier 2). So who knows!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Nah. Knicks have good scouts.

Knicks are amazing at finding guys that are good enough to get hype but not good enough to be worth the contract they end up demanding. King Zing aside.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Building up a war chest to get butler and George makes sense idk.

I guess they can't get both because of cap poo poo but whatever.

Structure a deal with Chicago before the draft, sign Hayward, trade assets for Butler after FA period and 30 days after Josh Jackson signed to have his salary help in matching.

Its basically what Cleveland did with Minnesota.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

Lonzo Ball on the Celtics would make for the best plot of next season, where LaVar chases out the Boston media as opposed to the other way around

That might be worth it by itself.

euphronius posted:

Jackson plus lakers pick probably gets it done.

I'm not garpax tho

Jackson and maybe that future Philly pick would be enough for Butler, Chicago probably isn't keeping him beyond his contract. That would kickstart the Bulls rebuild considerably and still give Boston a valuable pick to make another move.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

The Brooklyn picks and the Memphis pick the only real valuable ones.

Clippers pick should be in the 20s and has some decent value.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Malik Monk would be kind of a surprise for the Timberwolves. I think they are far more interested in veteran help at the wing rather than bringing in another young piece there. I would guess they either take Lauri Markkanen in that situation or DSJ (who they have worked out) if he's available as Thibs continues his quest to replace Rubio.

If Isaac falls the Wolves were very interested there, but I think Isaac has a promise at #4.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

The rumor I've read is they will try to trade with Minnesota to switch picks and get Rubio. Not sure what they'd be sending for salary but Powell/Harris or Matthews works. Every time the Mavs are asked about trading Matthews they say no but who knows.

Mavs are under the cap, so you don't need to match salary. You only need to match if the trade takes you over the cap.

But I don't know why the Timberwolves would drop down several spots just to give up a player on a pretty good salary. Maybe if Matthews is coming back and you think he'll recover from his Achilles but I dunno.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

kiimo posted:

I am not under the impression that he's easy to get, I'm under the impression that the Celtics have the fool's ransom it would take to get him.

If you don't think you can build a good team with Anthony Davis then you wouldn't think you can build a good team with a bunch of draft picks either.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

apparently according to sam amico the lakers are looking to trade for the pistons pick. on the one hand svg seems to not know what he's doing in the draft, on the other hand what could this trade possibly be for that would be better than taking a swing at somebody who might slip to the late lottery

Jordan Clarkson buyers remorse?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Is there something wrong with Clarkson other than his development plateaued before people expected?

He is getting to the line less each year, and has a sinking PER and WS/48. I don't think he is a bad player or anything, but if he isn't getting any better then you're probably better off spending $12 mil a year on a veteran instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Jackson basically a better Gerald Wallace? From how you guys talk about him it sounds like it.

None of us know anything.

• Locked thread