Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

In Starship Troopers pretty much any service will get you citizenship. Including volunteering to be a janitor or be a teacher. The government pretty much can't reject anyone from giving service, the point is that people need to step up to offer something. Though military is definitely the primary way.

Yes. I see that volunteering as a janitor has made you the man you are today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm not going to play Senua's Sacrifice until the Shotgun DLC drops.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

thats not an opinion

Alright, obtuse on my clit, here it is in opinion form:

Caufman posted:

In my opinions, Senua's Sacrifice is not playable until the Shotgun DLC drops.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Where's the cover button?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

We Know Catheters posted:

Pop punk is amazing

I like a lot of non-Billboards, DIY pop punk and ska punk bands. Max Levine Ensemble and Bomb the Music Industry! are my favorites.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Kingdoms are cooler when they have elective monarchies, anyway. Just Crusader King things.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Back in college we pronounced it Wetnessday.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pizza should generally be eaten with a knife and fork.

Even though I don't do it, I'm okay with people using a fork and knife to eat pizza.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm uninterested in how you eat, unless it's how you eat rear end.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Hey whoa hey, I said I'm interested, not that I'm some kind of expert advice service. If you're getting negative feedback on your rear end-eating, that's all on you; I wash my rear end clean of it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, almost anything is better eaten with a knife and fork,

Your rear end-eating technique is extreme. Thumbs up!

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jastiger posted:

So youll give him advice and not me. Reported for racism

I'm stunned, but you're right. I was totally motivated by race. I don't deserve to talk about eating rear end anymore.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

doverhog posted:

Hell, I'll advice Jastiger about rear end eating while I'm at it: pick your spots, but if you do decide to do it, commit. Backing down because there was some flavor will really spoil the mood.

This has wisdom beyond rear end-eating. But definitely for rear end-eating, too.

edit: drat, woops.

Baby wipes are the answer. They may not be around for when you want to spontaneously eat some rear end, but in a regular setting, having one around is useful for a lot of sex related things. Of course I only have sex with my intimate life partner, so I'm not offended when she wipes away liberally.

Caufman has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Sep 8, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Hahahahaha imagine actually saying this right after Equifax

Or the chemical plants that blew up and polluted the flooded waters caused by Hurricane Harvey.

The economics of perfectly competitive markets is sound, but in the real economy, companies maximizing profits will engage in anti-competitive behavior that results in a net social loss.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If it makes you happy to avoid a compass direction, you should do it. But how many degrees off north is far enough?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Eyy, if you seized the opportunity to do something more interesting than show up to class and be adult-babysat, I'm for you.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If you're going to come late to any class or meeting, don't just slink in quietly like no one is noticing.

Crack open a cold one and pass some around to your boys. Maybe even loudly mention how much you drank the night before. Make it something everyone can look forward to.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Aramek posted:

Do raffle tickets count as gambling or charity?

I'm trying to figure out why I don't buy them, and both of those things are good answers.

Raffle tickets should be bought for entertainment purposes only, and not as an investment.

So yes.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yes, though I'd say critical thinking of almost anything can be a hobby. It's not just about considering the artistic merits or themes of a relatively small canon, either. You can think critically about the production of a reality tv show, too.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Metaposting is extremely dated, but pataposting is the new poo poo.

Until now. Now it's loving lame.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Spinster posted:

I think 20% are either funny or interesting, and in some threads it's 50% for a while. However, I'm new and starved for human contact. I just hate not having a CLUE who anyone really is

Howdy.

Here and elsewhere, a person is as a person does. Knowing what they've done is not as important as seeing what they're doing.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

if dogs are gross, so are people

We're all born in funk, and we will all be dead in funk. Dogs are just more at peace with this than humans.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
To rob your child of the opportunity to get adult circumcised is not the act of a loving parent.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I think the people who embrace that Sagan quote should take it further. We are not just a part of the universe observing itself; we're also a part of the universe making choices for itself. It began with non-life, and then life appeared, and then sentient life appeared, and this is all progressing towards a final and eternal transcendent state.

Blue Star posted:

It is impossible to directly experience and perceive the external world as it really is. It is also impossible to completely disprove the existence of fairies, unicorns, demons, angels, cryptids, psychic phenomena, magic, deities, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, parallel universes, and many other things. So I am actually completely free to believe in these things, or entertain the possibility, however remote, that these entities and concepts are truly real. We can never be certain that these things, and things we can't conceive of, are not actually real, no matter how well we map and measure the physical universe. And it is entirely possible that the models we have formed of the physical universe are incomplete. So I can go right ahead and believe that pixies, goblins, banshees, butt probe aliens, and more are totally real and not mere fictions. And at the very least, these concepts are things which do exist in the human imagination and therefore are products of the universe in exactly the same way that galaxies, trees, atoms, black holes, fungi, bacteria, volcanoes, etc. are all products of the universe, all part of an ongoing event of change. So fairies and dragons and incubi and manticores and Medusa and Cerebus and the Laws of Sympathy and Contagion are all just as really real as elephants, cars, electromagnetism, asteroids, DNA, continental drift, and so on.

Yeah yeah, neuroscience and physics and all that bullshit. But we only know of these things because we perceive them, and i've already explained that our perceptions can be completely wrong, completely different from what actually exists, since it's impossible to perceive the world directly without filtering it through our senses, which in turn create an illusion of the world. So our own minds are telling us that these scientific facts and theories are "true". But why should I trust that? It could all be wrong. We could be living in the Matrix, for all we know. Fairies or pixies or goblins could be loving with our minds, creating illusions that we believe are true. Maybe we're all dreaming in one mass collective hallucination.

Now, you might say "Ah, but Blue Star, if you behave in such a fashion, you run the risk of harming yourself and others. Would you ignore a doctor's advice in favor of voodoo magic?" To which I'll say, "bitch I do what I want." Also,Halloween is coming up.

All I can say about living in the Matrix is that rational decision-making will lead towards an equilibrium steady state where the choices you make would be the same whether you thought you lived in the Matrix or not, which you correctly point out is a plausible reality that we're unlikely to learn the answer to.

Caufman has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Sep 18, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

I dont think I've ever enjoyed a television show that had more than roughly 18 episodes.

Not even The Wire?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Have you tried completely over compensating? Like spend a lifetime creating a successful hip hop label and be completely alienated from the enjoyment of your products?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Solipsism, while understandable, is boring to encounter.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I think I meant encounter, as in reading or talking to someone who is making a solipsist point.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yeah I take it out on the kid. I make ugly faces and then vote to underfund education.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Standing or sitting, I like to be as close as possible to the bus driver. Sometimes I ask a person to move so I can be next to the driver. They never refuse, because they don't dare ask why I want to be close to the driver.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yes, but not in the way you think. I'm sexually attracted to dashboards on large vehicles.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Individual tastes is the reason we even have unpopular opinions.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
With a shaman. That's not quite regulation, but it's the best way to go psychactive.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

doverhog posted:

A government licenced shaman?

Magic and the gods are real, in that they exist within our minds, and affect us. Superheroes like Iron Man and Wonder Woman are the new gods of this age, and this is for the good.

Post-government-licensed shaman.

You are absolutely right to identify the gods of our psyche as beings that are quite real in the sense that they influence what we do. There is also the recurring search for what was called in previous age the true God, the ultimate and truest reality which exists from the beginning of everything to the end of everything. It captures the reality of all of our psyches and the reality of everything else. It's the complete and unified truth that we as everyday natural philosophers have always tried to pursue, whether it's in the study of plants or in the study of moral consequences.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It looks like a hazing to me. Target someone in the group that stands out, make them do things they wouldn't have done, laugh at their humiliation. Depending on how they do, their admiration might rise or fall. I see why hazing occurs so often, and small, unconscious forms of it might happen all the time, but it seems like a risky way of increasing any kind of confidence or trust.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

female ringwraith

Ah, that'll replace the alt-mermaid in my fantasies.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I imagine it's less like an offended, scandalized old lady and more like someone who's bored and annoyed. I don't ignore anyone because you are all deeply important to me and the success of my plans.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
With no disrespect to anyone else, I admire people like Fatty Arbuckle and Melissa McCarthy who, when overweight, were committed to comedic entertainment.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Every act is political

Every decision is made in relation to one's spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The fallacious story that Fatty Arbuckle crushed Lillian Gish to death is just another triumph of his comedic legacy.