Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like Ethiopian food but I can't stand injera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Das Boo posted:

Folks who are like "It's just a cat." or "Why are you so upset about a dog?" bum me out. I don't think they're petting right.

People who say things like this aren't actually human, if you ask me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, it's not a good guideline, It's a bad guideline. It's a stupid guideline. If you actually followed it, you'd talk like a fuckin ren fair weirdo. Here's an example from the internet.

The price of the dress had not even been paid.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

"It wasn't just made up" *goes on to explain how it was just made up*

Literally all language rules are made up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Das Boo posted:

KFC is worse than McDonalds. I don't know when this happened or why, but I can legitimately enjoy something from a McDonalds menu (McMuffin) and everything I've had from KFC since... like, 1994 has just been godawful. I've lived all over the loving US and they're all terrible. I don't understand.

Popeye's is better. Doesn't hold a candle to Bojangles' though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Smoking is cool though. Makes you look more distinguished. Like a salt and pepper haired man sitting in a leather wing back chair reading The Wallstreet Journal and smoking a Benson & Hedges Gold. Pure class.

yeah just like a fedora

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Das Boo posted:

But I think we can all agree if said person is injecting Japanese words into conversation, he is likely a monster.

I do this, but only a skosh.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People care because the idea of "self" is a conundrum that has been pondered since literally the dawn of man, and thought experiments like that help. It's not about literally figuring out how teleportation would work.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So what do you think happens while you and your clone are still alive? Do you somehow see through both sets of eyes?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

We're talking an extreme hypothetical here - first we need to be able to perfectly clone someone including all their memories/experiences/personality, and then we need to have a reason to destroy the original one. I would question why it's necessary to kill the other one, since there is no reason why there can't be two of me living (although it would lead to twice as many terrible posts on this forum), but I would feel no attachment to the original host. All the important bits that comprise "me" have lived on, I don't care about the lump of meat I was wearing before.

This isn't a difficult concept. The original is you. Nothing else is you. The copy is identical to you and has your memories but it isn't you. While both you and the copy are still alive, you wouldn't experience sensory input from both. If the original dies, your experiences would end, there would be no continuity of consciousness to the copy. You would not live on. Everyone else would be reasonably fooled by the copy, but you would still be dead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm assuming that whatever makes me think that "I" exist exists, because to me it does. If you want to call that a soul, then that's fine.

You're the one assuming that we're all just p-zombies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Das Boo posted:

I admire Singapore on some level. As far as dictatorships go, it's tremendously successful: Excellent schools, affordable healthcare, clean, great transit systems, safe at all hours... It was kinda magical after hanging around Bangladesh what with their strict classism, terrible pollution, questionable medical options and, y'know... Those roving rape gangs. A Bengali family member in Malaysia adores it there and tells me Bangladesh has just gotten so, so much worse these last few years. :(

As it turns out dictatorship is actually kind of rad for an incredibly rich country the size of a postage stamp.

otoh you can't eat durians on the subway, wtf

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Goons acting like every single plot detail is a spoiler is extremely annoying.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Those are mainstream though. Like every single person working for Disney Animation lives and breathes Miyazaki for inspiration. The gross anime is the rest of the stuff. I remember there was a thread on here about some show called Azumanga that was like 600 pages long and when I looked at it the show is about 13 year old girls.

That's because it's a show for 13 year old girls. Just because a lot of adult men with broken brains like it doesn't mean it's gross pervy trash. That would be like pointing at bronies as evidence that all American cartoons are made for weird perverts.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have barely watched any anime but the fact that goons have such a hate on for it and act like it’s all creepy pedo poo poo is p silly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you raise concerns about the freedom of expression for nazis more often than concerns about the freedom of expression for people that nazis want to oppress and kill, then you are in fact a nazi sympathizer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A society where nazis are free to loudly and openly express their desire to oppress and murder minorities is a society where minorities are bullied into silence. You can't protect both groups' freedom of speech equally, because one inherently infringes on the other. Personally, I'd rather live in a society where that's not the case, and if that requires telling nazis that they can't hold rallies, then I think I'm fine with that.

Besides, nazis have a perfectly reasonable method of not losing their freedom of speech: stop being nazis.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Free speech is good" and "I hope nobody thinks I'm a nazi" are two statements that are perfectly reasonable on their own, but make people a little suspicious when you combine them.

Kind of like "I like anime" and "I hope nobody thinks I'm a pedophile".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gently caress off, nazi.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blue Star posted:

You see how quickly this devolved? Because I'm for free speech? I even admitted that hate speech laws and protection of vulnerable groups was necessary*. But it wasn't enough, I have to completely kowtow to you in order to not be a Nazi.

*I'm actually a trans woman myself. I dont know if thats relevant though, since I've annoyed people for bringing it up before and making everything about trans issues. :rolleyes:

Yeah you bring it up literally every time someone calls you out on your lovely opinions. gently caress off, nazi.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao what the gently caress is wrong with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Loss edits can be funny, but the people who say "wow loss edits sure are getting abstract!" to anything even vaguely similar are not.