Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: There are poo poo-tier people across the globe, from the biggest cities to the tiniest bumfuck farming villages

Anyone who feels superior to another person based on where they are physically located at the moment is a soft nationalist

I am aware of my prejudices and try to keep a constant vigil on them so as to not dissolve into a classist elitist chud...

But seriously broadly speaking the South is full of Christians and rednecks and republicans and should be given to Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Acknowledging another's skin tone doesn't mean you're racist.

Specifically, this conversation last night:

"Who's Jordan?"
"The black guy with the nose ring."
"You know, you could have just said 'the guy with the nose ring.'"

This collapsed into an argument at the bar where I was greatly outnumbered by angry white people saying I shouldn't point out the skin color of others? I live in a town with 95% white people. Jordan is a black guy. There are thousands of people here with nose rings. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make your white loving rear end uneasy by saying such things out loud, but there's only all of five loving black people who come to this bar and only one with a loving nose ring.

Furthermore, am I wrong, but wouldn't it just loving perpetuate racism and prejudice when we all like, PRETEND he doesn't have dark skin color?

credburn has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Sep 30, 2021

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I just saw for the second time in a week someone refer to something as "living rent-free in your head" and now I know this is another Thing and I'm probably going to hear it a lot during 2022.

I don't even know what it's meant to mean, but I already hate it.

It rather reminds me of the next-day wave of clothing and speech fads that would happen in high school. Like, if on Friday a new Eminem music video was premiered, you know that if you didn't have yellow hair and wearing illfitting pants by Monday you were Out Of The Loop.

credburn has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Jan 24, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Urban Dictionary (the first Google result) does put the entry in 2017.

But Something happened recently. An influencer or a streamer or a celebrity said it, and -- look, I saw it twice in a week and I know what this portends. It's going to become a massive thing people say in 2022. I'm declaring 2022 the year of this catchphrase.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

It's already been a thing for a minute. It's at the point where it's in it's burnout phase

Alright, my currently held unpopular opinion then is that this is not burning out; it's gaining momentum.

docbeard posted:

It's code for "you got mad at me for a thing I said or did and that is of course your fault"

Given the context I've seen it in, I thought it was a friend-zone thing. Like, She really belongs to me but she thinks she's just a friend so in the meantime she'll just live rent-free in my head.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The best controller is the mouse and keyboard.

Sorry, that's not so much an unpopular opinion as it is an objective fact.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Digital zoom has been an awful thing from the start, it hasn't evolved well at all in like twenty years since consumer phones and digital cameras became affordable. It still looks bad, even if there are fancy filters that make it look less obvious, but it's still obvious and always looks bad.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
This probably is only unpopular outside the broader realworld, but fuckin distressed jeans are so goddamn annoying and dumb. I hate sounding like a Boomer complaining about you kids and yer drat fads, but it's just, I remember how as a kid I had to loving take care of my jeans so loving much because the worst thing in the world was being perceived as poor. Now as a grown up having to work and poo poo I have grown a natural abhorrence to those who can spend money on fads and poo poo. I'm stuck with this contrast:

10 year-old me: Can't wear torn up jeans or everyone will think I'm poor
37 year-old me: Can't wear torn up jeans or everyone will think I have money.

Also somehow I hate that you spend extra money to make it look like you go outside once in a while but aside from making a few standardized shreds, there's no real attempt at authenticity. No grass stains, no darkened spots where blood fused the fabric to your leg because you didn't want to stop playing kickball. People who wear distressed jeans are like people who are in the absolute lowest tier of wealth who still want to try slumming it. Look at us, honey. We're active people hoo hoo!

credburn has a new favorite as of 11:32 on Jan 31, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

alexandriao posted:

In The Good Wife, Cary Argos wears an overcoat over a hoodie and it works pretty well, better than you would have thought from the mere concept of it

Yeah but that has practicality. I have a buddy who has one single jacket that cost him like five hundred dollars, it's the only expensive piece of clothing he has, and the way he is able to combine it with his other clothes is amazing. He makes every ensemble look expensive just because he has a fancy coat to go with it.

I mean, I'm not complaining about that. Like many a white man about to enter his forties, I am angry at things that were different when I was a kid.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Black t-shirt all day every day. On it, the box art for the original DOOM (1993). Tucked in. The shirt has been worn down to a soft, silken like material. Little holes form in it over time. One of my nipples occasionally makes an appearance. It is always hard.

Bro I know exactly what you mean by the hard nipple holes in old shirts

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've eaten meat from Wal Mart and BBQ joints, in the Pacific Northwest, Texas, Australia. All I can say is it all tastes like a dead animal (or maybe an amalgamation of thousands of dead animals) with whatever flavor of loving whatever I put on it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
"Outside of a Small Circle of Friends" is still a loving phenomenal song.

vvv :mad: vvv

credburn has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Feb 12, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
"Cringe" as an adjective and "fail" being used as a noun.

I know how language works, but I don't have to like it :mad:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Getting rid of my bed was the best thing I've ever done. Beds take up so much loving room and they're bad for your back. My entire bed is made up of a blanket, a pad, and a pillow, and it all rolls up into a space smaller than my suitcase, allowing my "bedroom" to function entirely as an office or whatever. I don't even have a "bedroom". I can put my bed anywhere.

If you're still using a bed in 2022 you're behind.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

prom candy posted:

I sleep in a big bed with my wife.

I do that on my efficient rollup pad.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
If someone on Facebook responds with a gif I usually ignore them. Posting a gif is a great way for when you know jack poo poo about the discussion but you still feel the need to contribute absolutely nothing to it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

:confused:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I find that some of the best prose I've ever read comes from books translated from Spanish. I know Marquez gets a lot of praise for his prose, but how much of that actually comes through the translation?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Shakespeare's comedies are loving terrible. The only decent parts of any Shakespeare comedy is when a goofy character gets to do goofy poo poo, like Dogberry or Bottom. Otherwise it's all just mistaken-identity, bedtricks, and people generally just being oblivious and dumb. They're not funny.

Also: Edgar Allen Poe's comedies are not funny! His comedies are as though the pun had just been discovered and he wanted to capitalize on it. Professor Tarr and Doctor Feather?? That story where he literally loses his breath? Jesus loving christ.

Absolutely love both writers' non-comedic stuff though.

Oh yeah, and also, The Importance of Being Ernest. Why does every community theatre need to do this play twice a year? Goddammit there are better Wilde plays than this. Oohh but I MUST marry a man who is Earnest but what if he isn't ERNEST you know this word EARNEST SOUNDS LIKE THE NAME ERNEST

Not one joke about nests in ears, though :sigh:

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Mar 8, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I also was neglected because my parents watched too much television.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Sweet Dreams is a good song. Marylin Manson's cover of it is hilarious. It's like a person who doesn't get the joke, trying to tell the joke. This cover is the same song but removed of any nuance. Taking a dark song and making it dark is lazy loving artistic expression. I'm surprised they didn't also do a dark gritty sad cover of Paint It, Black. It just seems like another song that has just slightly too much subtlety.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gripweed posted:

For years, comedians have been like, "The comedy stage is a sacred space, comedians need to be able to try out edgy new material without fear of repercussions, if people don't like what I say that's a societal problem." and society as a whole never agreed to that. We never said comedians can say whatever they want.

But we as an audience / society can literally or figuratively boo them off stage, write about them, comment, talk about it, cancel them. We don't need to have a Champion be the manifestation of all our frustrations who will physically attack the person.

I also don't think the joke was that bad. Admittedly, I'm not suffering from such an ailment as JPS, but -- to just copy+paste something I said from another thread: I would rather someone make a joke about my medical condition than for everyone to either pretend it's not there or awkwardly, sorrowfully saturate me with sympathy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
It wasn't that bad of a joke, either. I mean, it was a kind of lazy joke, but I don't know how anyone would be offended by it.

It's also not like he made fun of something that is in any way her fault or related to her own choices or anything. It's not like he made fun of her weight or her drug use or face tattoos or whatever.

I remember how mean people were to Bea Arthur at awards shows, always taking a moment to point out of UGLY she was or how MASCULINE she was or that she PROBABLY HAD A PENIS. Those are the kinds of jokes I feel are mean spirited, but I guess Chris Rock never got slapped after mocking Bea Arthur.

Edit to add: this may be an opinion rooted in privilege and ignorance, so forgive me if it's painfully stupid, but while JPS was the focal point of the joke, I feel like the joke wasn't even about her. It was just about the disease. It's like when my father made jokes about his dying brother's pancreatic cancer. Even if my uncle was dying and was where the joke was focused, not a single person present thought there was any malice behind those kinds of things. We made fun of my uncle's cancer because it was an awful thing that was happening to a decent fellow and making a joke about it is better than just pretending it's not there.

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Mar 31, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gripweed posted:

You do understand that that's worse, right? It's worse to make fun of someone for aspects about themselves they can't change like race or disability or disease, than for their own choices.

I suppose this is subjective to one's own experiences, but I don't agree :shrug:

If you're making fun of JPS's hair, you're making fun of the disease at the expense of JPS.

But if you're making fun of a choice JPS made, you're shaming JPS.

Am I wrong? I may be wrong.

I mean, making fun of one's race or disabilities is going a little outside the scope of what I'm articulating, I think.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Clearly it upset her, too, so I don't know. I guess it's not for me to say whether or not a person should or should not have been offended by something based on whether or not I perceive I would have if in the same place.

In any case, the slapping was excessive and dumb... though on the other hand it has really brought a lot of topics up that people are talking about and that's a great thing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Robobot posted:

When given a choice, always go dark. It’s the best coffee roast. The best chocolate. The best side of the force. It was half of the best first person shooter ever, Perfect Dark.

In short, dark roast is superior choice.

I totally disagree with every example.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
What the gently caress is with bacon?

Why is saying bacon funny?

Bacon sux is my unpopular opinion.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

alexandriao posted:

its literally this. people with no self control who doomscroll constantly rather than getting up from the magic box and doing something else

Anyone whining about twitter: Have you considered not interacting with it?

You can't help but interact with Twitter (and other social media outlets) if you're interacting with, say, these forums. I personally don't get most memes and Twitter things and TikTok is still an absolute anomaly for me. To me these don't have much to do with these fine forums I've now spent more than half my life on, but these forums are now just this little hidden niche thing on the Internet overshadowed by the massive leviathan of social media, and almost everyone here interacts with that more than this.

I don't click on Twitter threads because for the most part I just don't understand what is happening. Honestly, Twitter confuses the gently caress out of me. People seem to be able to read it, but the few times I click on a Twitter link I feel I'm thrown in the middle of a massive conversation with no context and no real idea of how the conversation flows from there. But people here use Twitter, they're going to share Twitter things, and if I want to not just be completely lost I kind of have to interact with it at least a little.

It's not about having "self control". It's about being part of the conversation you're part of.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Without Lowtax we wouldn't be here.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Why did people want FYAD to be deleted? I've been wanting that for two decades goddamn but this feels like you're referring to a specific event.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gripweed posted:

Recently the euphemism "got owned" has started to become mainstream, and I greatly prefer it.

The first time I heard someone say "powned" it pissed me off. I always thought the reason "pwned" was funny had a lot to do with it being an unpronounceable word, something so dumb and broken, contributing to the irony of saying someone got "owned" while making oneself look like an idiot in doing so. When I would read that in forums, my brain would just like substitute a "krssh" sound or something.

I also never heard anyone say "nes" or "snes" until a few years ago, but people I guess have been sounding out the acronyms? And differently, as I've heard: Ness and Snezz

Well my uh, foo-woah is that: I don't like things being pronounced when I feel they shouldn't be.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Growing up I only called them "nintendo" and "super nintendo". ness/sness are not valid.

I always called it "Nintendo" and "Super En Ee Ess"

My grandmother called them "Nintendo" and "Nintendo" as well as any other gaming console ever made sometimes differentiated by adding "that new ______", and every video game character was "a Marry-o"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah, exactly!

My PHUO.

alexandriao posted:

nesticle always sounds kinda lewd and dirty

"rub my NESticle baby"

I think :thejoke:

credburn has a new favorite as of 10:01 on May 14, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
On bathrooms:

gently caress you for requiring a passcode. Let me in your loving bathroom. The loving city ordinance or whatever says you're a public place and you have to have a restroom; don't make me loving wander around your stupid store/restaurant, locate the bathroom which itself is secretly hidden just beyond the EMPLOYEES section, and then have to track down an employee (and they will hide) so I can beg for the secret code that will allow me to piss somewhere other than in the middle of your aisle.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Drew Carey was one of those shows I never watched, and then decided to watch and saw an incredibly awesome episode, and so continued to watch except every single episode I saw after the good one was mediocre.

Edit: but I do love their live shows, their gimmick shows. loving it's time to do something interesting with the medium!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Well you either feel bad for them or you don't. Which opinion is the unpopular one?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I don't care what the dictionary says, the past tense of plea is poopiedoopiedoodoowoowooshoopinanny

gently caress the dictionary

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
PHUO: Don't care for this ongoing discussion about about eating chicken parts in the PHUOT

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The normalcy of panic attacks should be normalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
In my 20s I'd had two panic attacks, which were at that time all the ones I'd had in my entire life, but in my 30s a doctor prescribed me Adderall and throughout the year kept increasing the dose and I was having panic attacks several times a week. I haven't had a panic attack in five years since getting off Adderall, but my experience left me with loving wounds. I am terrified of panic attacks now, or the idea that I could have one. I mean, it's not going to send me into a panic attack, worrying about panic attacks, but it's still a thing that I now regularly have to add to my fuckin baggage. Being reduced to a blubbering mess, where all I hear is SOUND and my lungs feel smaller than a dime, it's a loving awful state.