Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's only one test for dog intelligence that matters. If you put some scraps on a paper plate on the floor for them, and while they're eating the plate starts sliding around, what do they do? If they try to follow the plate around, they're just a dog. If they put a paw on the plate so it stops sliding, they're a smart dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'll probably never watch a Roman Polanski or Woody Allen movie. People say they're good, but there's so many good movies I haven't seen yet, I can watch good movies for the rest of my life and never run out and have no option but to watch a movie by either of those dudes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MizPiz posted:

If you actually care about not watching a movie helmed by a problematic person, you're going to have a lot fewer options than you think, especially if you're looking at movies made by Hollywood.

"Problematic person" is a hell of a euphemism for child rapist

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MizPiz posted:

Fine, if you actually care about not watching a movie helmed by a child rapist you're going to have a lot fewer options than you think, especially if you're looking at movies made by Hollywood.

Yeah probably, I was just looking at Criterion Collection movies at Barnes and Noble earlier today because they're doing a half off sale, and they had a bunch of Roman Polanski movies. The dude is still alive, and is an admitted child rapist, and fancy movie people are still treating him like a great artist. Maybe he is, but he's also a loving criminal scumbag, and that should override artistic considerations. At least until he dies and can't profit anymore off his public persona as a fancy movie man.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CrRoMa posted:

Same but Stanley Kubrick

What did Stanley Kubrick do?

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm never watching a Shane Carruth or Miranda July movie.

What did Shane Carruth do? Primer and Upstream Color are both amazing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That Detective Pokemon movie looks good and they did a good job making the Pokemon look real but still cartoony

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

move the date back four years

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Red Green Show is better than Seinfeld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfOZ-uajfNE

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end posted:

if that is supposed to sound appealing I think the game just isn't for me. Maplestory gave me friendly warnings to stop playing the game so much and go outside or sleep but i pay no heed to anime wisdom

he means the game tells your character to go to sleep, not that it literally tells you the player to go to sleep

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lex Luthor was black in the Superman cartoon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

black Telly Savalas, maybe

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The best rap song is actually the first rap song ever made; Rapture by Blondie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I hate those paper towels with half size sheets. They shouldn't make those Full sheets only.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Paper towels should have full square sheets. These new paper towels with half size rectangular sheets should be illegal.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

When I casually confuse the actor Graham Greene with the writer Graham Greene, it's very funny and people should laugh. Or, if I do it online instead of IRL, people should say lol or emptyquote it, because, as I said, it's very funny.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CrRoMa posted:

I despise anime but i would watch it over golf.

You don't have to choose!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oPI-5HjuSA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Baseless unpopular opinion I'm pulling out of my rear end: Stephen King will eventually be remembered as a greater horror writer than Lovecraft.

That's a given. He'll be considered the greatest American horror writer, even above Poe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Poe did some good stuff, but a lot of it is very of it's time. Stories about noble blood lines being degraded over time until you're down to one last scion who's a weirdo in a lovely marriage don't have quite the impact now that they did back then

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read a collection of 20 Poe stories, and three of them were about the last son of a once-great family who drives their wife to death by being insane and weird, and still manages to make it all about themselves.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Away all Goats posted:

-Velcro doesn't get undone like laces

Shoelaces are more secure than velcro, unless you are bad at tying your shoes

Away all Goats posted:

-Won't fray at the end or split due to friction with the shoe

Stuff gets caught in velcro, slowly reducing it's ability to cling together.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Astrology is good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That song that goes "He's everything you want, he's everything you need, he's everything you wish you could be but he means nothing to you and you don't know why" becomes incredibly creepy with the last chorus. When it switches to "I'm everything you want, I'm everything you need"

Because up to that point, the singer could be interpreted as an internal monologue or an omniscient narrator, and it seems to be leading to the woman having some kind of realization. That what she thinks she needs and what she really needs are two different things, or something along that line. She found the perfect guy, but it's meaningless. From that contradiction should come some kind of new self-knowledge.

But then when the singer reveals himself to be the man she won't gently caress, the whole thing becomes a gross nice guy whining that she's too dumb to accept how perfect for her he is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ommin posted:

I disagree. I don’t remember the rest of the context in the song, but he could be referring to someone with depression. He’s not whining and she’s not dumb. He’s describing (arguably quite arrogantly) that he should make her happy but he doesn’t. And they “don’t know why” sounds like undiagnosed depression.

He doesn't say that he should make her happy, he just says that he is everything she should want/need/wish she could be. But he means nothing to her. Which implies that he's an unreliable narrator. He doesn't actually know what she wants/needs/wishes she could be. That's why he means nothing to her.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

greek yogurt tastes worse than regular yogurt

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

People only eat Greek yogurt because of a vague suspicion that it's in someway healthier than regular yogurt. Nobody actually likes it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol at this poster. “Some way” like food in the developed world doesn’t come with a loving label that tells you what’s in it and exactly how many or few calories and nutrienrs it provides. Turns out some people read the label you fat goon

Dude, they just make those numbers up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Aramek posted:

It's super thick and full of protein so it fills you up

:pervert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

seasonal practices are good, and natural. We used to have to do things based on the seasons, but now because of horror dystopian capitalist hellscape, every month can be identical to every other. It's terrible, it's just another thing that unmoors us from anything that could give our lives any sense of stability or connection to anything larger.

So yeah, decorate for Christmas. Have a Cadbury Creme Egg on Easter, watch spooky movies in October. Hell, get excited for PSLs coming back. do whatever you can to reconnect with the natural cycle of the seasons. Years pass, things are cyclical, you will die. Remember and embrace it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mindfulness is a scam

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Turtlicious posted:

yeah its amazing. You can just like say "Oh im dieting" to your weed delivery person and if they're good they'll hook you up and give you weed that kills your appetite and makes you want to excercise.

that's coke. They're giving you cocaine and calling it weed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Turtlicious posted:

no ur right, my 3 medical professionals, and my plant geneticist fiance are probably all wrong.

It takes a big person to admit their plant geneticist fiance is full of poo poo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Barley tea is really good, and should be more easily available.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mu Zeta posted:

What else is left if calories don't mean anything

embracing the absurdity and meaninglessness of life

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dan Nainan should host the Oscars

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Thinking critically about the media you consume isn't good or bad, it's a thing you can choose to do if you so wish. The idea that it's good, or that people should think critically about the media about they consume, is something people tell themselves to make themselves feel better about how much of their life is just consuming media.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MizPiz posted:

Uncritically consuming whatever slop is shoved infront of you is how we got to this cultural dark age. The fact the media to you is literally just bright colors and loud noises is a sign that you're intellectually a toddler, not that you've achieved some sort of consumption nirvana.

There's literally no difference between one person who spends their weekend catching up on the last season of Vanderpump Rules and just enjoys the show on a surface level and someone who spends their weekend catching up on the last season of Vanderpump Rules and enjoys it on a surface level while also thinking very critically about the messages it's presenting. You're just watching Vanderpump Rules.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MizPiz posted:

One where people actually try to make good art

So, now? There's more art being made now than any other time in human history. And by like, a massive degree. There are more kinds of art now than ever. You are living in the single greatest explosion of creativity in human history.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You can't really do a straight comparison of the Hellboy comics and the Hellboy movies, because the Hellboy comics are this big sprawling universe with all kinds of offshoots that cover way more of a more interesting universe.

But, the Hellboy movies do a much better job covering the material that they do than the Hellboy comics did covering that same material.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've already expressed how wrong I think you are in detail in the past, so i'll just simply reiterate that you're wrong and they should be illegal for tricking cookie eaters in to thinking they are getting the far superior oatmeal chocolate chip cookie until they bite into it/examine it very closely.

This is the moment where you and I realize we aren't that different and join together to fight the real foe, oatmeal raisin cookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yeah, Pulaski owned, Crusher was a great big nothing. In most episodes featuring Crusher she could be replaced by just an unnamed medical officer and it would change nothing