Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I forgot why I bought Secret Hitler but it was extremely embarrassing when I was paying for some cleaning help and they found it (by found it, saw it lying on the ground where I left it years after the package came in the mail for it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I hated Columbo when I was a kid and it was on TV all the time but maybe I'll try it now. I'll report to the thread what I think. Eventually.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

They improved the battle system a lot over the years imo. It's only boring because the AI in a game designed for children is unchallenging.

Shining Pearl/Brilliant Diamond (maybe the originals were like this too I don't know) is a demonstration that they can at least make you think a little bit if they want to. But yeah it's a game for kids.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

docbeard posted:

I should be allowed to directly allocate where my tax dollars are and are not spent.

"But what if bad people do this-" I didn't say bad people, I said me.

Well I'm sure you'll do fine.

Arizona's stated purpose for their tax has created a scenario where at least some of your taxes can be allocated to what you want in the sense that you make a donation and get a tax credit for that donation up to $200. It contributes to underfunded schools because money that went to them is now going elsewhere because it turns out no one donates to public schools unless their kids go there. But I imagine it does help general charitable giving. Maybe?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
To me it's you grey forum people who are impenetrable.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Avatar is cool and Avatar 2 is even better.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I refuse to ever do research to see if medieval man worked less is true because it's fun to say.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Shibawanko's good folk you just have to get to know him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

alexandriao posted:

he consistently has ignorant takes and just made an abortion joke at me

I think you're cool too and wish he was less reactionary so he could recognize it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

PHUO: It's weird that the Damar Hamlin thing is being treated as a referendum on the dangers of football or a possible death knell for the sport. It was a freak thing that could happen in any contact sport, basically unprecedented at the professional level. The NFL has survived years of public knowledge about massive head trauma that is actually inherent to how the sport is played, arguably becoming more popular than ever.

I think you're right, although the reaction makes sense to me because it's a lot easier to ignore the response and effects of the trauma caused by CTE since it usually happens off-camera.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Gripweed posted:

There's a bunch of people stranded in the snow in Donner Pass because they decided to drive through Donner Pass during a snowstorm. Now, of course the government should do everything in it's power to save them. Being dumb should not warrant a death sentence, and one of the measurements of the quality of a society is how far it will go to save the dumb.

But.

The first responders who do make it to those stranded and offer aid should be allowed and required to viciously mock those stranded motorists for the duration of the crisis.

I can't speak for everyone's experience but, well, they kind of do make fun of you a little when you're rescued from a probably avoidable trap.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The arguments for banning Tik Tok because it's "warping the minds of the young" are some of the exact same ones that were leveled against Facebook 10-12 years ago (back before Boomers started flooding it). They're extremely dumb and there's no ironicat big enough to respond to the US government pissing and moaning because "the scary Chinese might be spying on us through their app!".

I guess you could argue that they're doing what facebook is doing a lot better than what they were doing and maybe both should be banned but boomers grandparents thought radio was warping their mind there's no media huge swaths of anyone over the age of 25 wants kids to see.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Please do not turn this thread into a war discussion thread :pray:

Off topic: that cat is adorable.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Who is the philosophy guy that said babies aren't humans, I wonder if they think crows are humans?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I know this isn't how it works but sometimes I think that all the info you need to be a doctor overwrites the common sense sector of the brain.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
My preferred coffee temp is lukewarm.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I just don't understand the point of all this when vegan hitlerskin looks just as good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's sad that is an unpopular opinion throughout most of the internet.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Spend enough time on dating apps and you'll find a significant number of women who explicitly state that they are not interested if you are under 6 feet tall. It's not crazy incel poo poo.

Things vary by location of course but as someone who just likes to boredom swipe, I would say this isn't a common as the meme.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I have enjoyed that the conclusion to take from this height talk that based on statistics I need to add my height to my bio, towering over everyone at 5’9”.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think if I had the means to travel regularly I'd definitely visit but I've been able to afford exactly one overseas trip in my life so if I can afford another (not looking great) yeah I'd probably do something purely entertaining.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Im tired of people talking about biblically accurate angels.

It don't make no difference. It's easier to believe in this sweet madness.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

credburn posted:

I like the parroting of phrases of SA stuff because that is sort of an inside joke we're all part of.

In real life I get the same annoyance whenever someone mentions Scarface and then we all gotta do our Scarface impressions and bond over it like it's not a ubiquitous thing.

Woah, there's a smile when the pain come, and it comes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Those are good baby chickens.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Hey, what else can I say? I love LA: because over and above all, it's just another day. And this one begins where the last one ends, pick up where we left off and get smashed again.

Rick has a new favorite as of 04:25 on May 7, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

alexandriao posted:

more cool facts about Wales because we're still on the derail:

Scotland, England and Ireland have written agreements to join the British union, but Wales never agreed. We were annexed in the 1200s-ish and we never agreed to be annexed, and to this day never agreed to join the British union. Which means that there's a stronger case for Welsh independence than there is anyone elses lmfao

If you talk to Welsh Poster Ultrawaitress tell her I said hello . .. . I assume you all know each other . . . .

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Cassette's have a great level of intimacy native to the tech. Yeah sure once in a while you'd buy an official release but most of the time it was something you put together recording songs from the radio, or dubbing them from a friend's tape or CD. And it never copied exactly right so the version you had on the tape was the only version of the song that sounded exactly like that; yes usually this was strictly worse than what the artist intended but it still was something very cool with the tech.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

docbeard posted:

I bought the clickiest mechanical keyboard I could afford and I have no regrets, but I totally get not liking them.

Yeah, I like mine, but I get it's mostly an aesthetic thing. Aesthetic isn't the right word here probably.

I don't even dislike membrane keyboards, I just like the mechanical ones more.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
E: wrong thread.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Gripweed posted:

McDonald’s milkshakes are by far the worst fast food milkshake.

I'm having trouble thinking of a worse one, although also I will drink a McDonalds Milk Shake if you sit it down in front of me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel like there are definitely ice cream cakes with some cake elements.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I respect vegitarians/vegans and wish I didn't have a baby palette and could do the same. I've tried but I end up just eating beans and pasta constantly and in bigger amounts than usual.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I have cried at so many movies, and several commercials.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

This rules.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

I’ve never had the trajectory of my life changed by a work of art, no matter how much I enjoyed it, so I’m always pretty skeptical when people say that a piece of fiction changed their life. I feel like a description of how the person’s life changed is needed

When I watcvhed the movie "Goodburger" I discovered that there was a place in the movie for both smart comedy and important dramatic stakes and that as it was now clear that these things didn't need to exist in separate mediums, they didn't need to exist in different partitions of my life.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
A dishwasher was one of the best things I ever purchased. Even as someone who doesn't cook very much, the dishwasher does such a better job than I did at cleaning things and uses far less water to do it. And I'm continually amazed that "just scrape" actually works because when I was a kid, it sure as hell didn't with the dishwashers we had then.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Only finding something in podcast form is wild to me since it’s usually the last stop in my experience, after someone has already written the article and already did vids, at least I’d we are talking about journalism which I think we are.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There's a special on that weed poster, buy three sonic the hedgehog shirts and it's free.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

bawk posted:

No, it's their favorite pie on the Citadel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Flan is cool because it is at tis base something you can make with no cooking skills but is also a good way to show artistry if someone has a lot of those skills.