Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

deathbagel posted:

She's like ExDeath + AoE Atk/Def break, immunity to silence/paralyze/petrify, auto MP recovery, magical counter, ultima instead of Meteor and has the off elements instead of fire/ice. Oh, and she can wear all the normal mage gear.

Her TM is also idiotic, it's like 30% MAG to people using Rods and 20% MAG to people wearing Robes. I dunno if she's worth whaling for tho, she's very good but I feel you'd rather have a strong physical 5* over a strong 5* mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I kinda just facetanked this entire event with my CoD/Refia/Cecil/Luneth/WoL team. Now I see the true power of DC Refia.

(You need at least one off-healer, Esuna will get some play)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tiger Millionaire posted:

The whip was obviously made for dark fina in mind but can any other decent mages make use of it?

Rydia?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Onion Knight is dumb and Orlandu is Cid, whale for Orlandu The Most Powerful Character in Final Fantasy. That's my PSA.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can't quite fathom having the disposable income to shove $1500 into a gacha game in a single day instead of just eating and drinking expensive poo poo instead, or buying all the games. I guess gambling addiction is a bitch, huh.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Like, TMRs are a grind, but they can easily make a team end-game ready if you get the right ones (DW and DC, mostly). DW on a bunch of base 3* or 4* actually catches them up to Main DPS level, DC isn't as essential but it makes a Refia or a Cecil into these support beasts, and you'll have enough Shantottos to make your Dual Black Magic mates wreck poo poo. It's what makes going F2P somewhat viable even with the lovely gacha rates, and I'll take lovely rates if you don't feel SUPER gimped without dumping money at the game.

Also chances are you'll draw a 5* base eventually if you keep pulling, and most 5* DPS are pretty beast.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My only TM is Dualcast and I've been able to beat all content so far (and I don't think I would've needed DC for most recent stuff, I didn't have that OR Refia around for Maxwell). Now, I did draw a Luneth, which is some special BS, but they're not required if you had SOME gacha luck.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

cosmicprank posted:

So, wait. I'm sorry. But I guess since this is my first game that has microtransactions, I'm a bit behind the curve on this.

There are, like, thousands of people who spend huge money to get TMs, a mechanic that isn't even necessary to beat the base game? When do you even use it/need it for anything beyond showing other people you sunk hundreds of hours/dollars into a game? It's already been stated that it isn't needed at all to beat the game... are they at least important to gain an upper hand in Arena? I'm flabbergasted here. I think I would at least understand it if it was needed to beat the games challenges, but it's been stated that they are not needed.

I guess this is "whale culture"? And why this is kept so "hush-hush" because 99% of humanity would probably verbally scorn if not physically attack you for spending this kind of money so frivolously while they grind for meager paychecks? Are we at this point supposed to be like, welp, yeah, some people blow all their money on slot machines and betting on sports and other stupid poo poo to justify this? Even though like most of humanity would be like holy poo poo gently caress that? I guess my mind is just being hosed by this. All the more because I apparently pulled some unit that a dude wasn't able to get with 1500 dollars. Wow.

TMs make the events easier. Here's the thing, the story mode isn't the focus of these games, you're either trying to beat the newest event on the hardest mode or trying to do PvP bullshit. That's where the true difficulty lies, and getting a good TMR can make your team go from "struggling to defeat X boss" to "braindead run". Even then, you don't need to dump money to get enough TMRs to make your life easier if you have the mechanical knowledge and patience - however, that's the catch with these games, you gotta have that patience.

"Whales" are basically big money gamblers, people that NEED to have all the strongest units and equipment. It's literally the same as gambling, you just keep rolling because "I can feel it coming, it's the next one, man". There's been plenty of gacha regulations in Japan and China because of that, since these games are basically paid for by those people and it's very easy to keep pulling the carrot away from them. It's also hard to tell when someone DOES have the cash to throw around like that or when they're just loving themselves over because of an addiction (it's one thing when a businessman goes to Vegas and throws away 15k on blackjack, and another when a 40k a year worker does the same thing).

edit: there's also another insidious aspect that doesn't exist in regular gambling, the fact that other people can show you their new shiny toy. It's like rolling on a slot for this pretty golden necklace, and seeing other people with it makes you REALLY wanna have it even if you have a couple of similar ones sitting on your drawer.

Dias fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 8, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

cosmicprank posted:

I still find it weird they'd add a thing that you don't need to really win. Seems like most of the game you just overkill if you have a good goon friend and not terrible units?

Kinda, the hardest event content is a lot easier if you have TMs or top-tier units. I'm full F2P and can't see myself spending money on this game, and I've beaten all content so far with the current team: Luneth/Refia/CoD/Cecil/Vaan or WoL. That's two base 3*, two base 4* (rare, but not THAT rare) and a base 5* unit. The only TM I got unlocked is Dualcast (didn't grind a LOT for it, most of it was covered by free event moogles), but it already made quite a difference with Refia in this current event. Luneth is a real good pick, and if I hadn't gotten him, I'd probably need Dual Wield (Zidane's TMR) on a decent 6*-able unit (in my case, probably CoD, maybe Chizuru).

You don't really NEED it if you get lucky with pulls, but a couple of them make a huge difference for your team (again, Dual Wield and Dualcast mainly). Again, the story is a breeze with mediocre units, but event content needs an actual solid team. Global makes it so that you can grind those TMRs with macros, so it's the whole patience thing again.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

rabidsquid posted:

the wiki has lightning listed as better than noctis and honestly i just dont see it

Dual Wield.

Like, you guys underestimate how fuckin' good innate Dual Wield is, even if the character's toolbox isn't as great.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Is that SoM main character?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
lol rainbow daily

lol rainbow arc

Oh well.

EDIT: I threw some extra tickets on the banner because I wanted at least one Type-0 character for the event. I'm actually kinda happy at the results.

3* Firion (NEW)
4* Cheez
3* Rydia (whatever)
4* Seven

I'll take that.

Dias fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 13, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also unequip your stupid fire weapons.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shingouryu posted:

Got lucky and pulled Seven on the daily. Is she good? Glancing at her move list she looks like Bedile 2.0.

100% AoE paralyze LB makes her Arena queen. Her toolset is okay too, even if she has a WEIRD stat distribution. She gets a 40% SPR ST debuff, a 50% ice/lightning/fire ST debuff, Focus and nice elemental coverage to single targets. Most of her damage seems to be physical, but you can also make her a mage if you have the TMs which, again, weird. Bad equipment selection tho (whips, daggers and normal swords). Girl's not setting the world on fire but she's a serviceable unit with a strong niche use, 100% paralyze in Arena is GG.

Dias fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 13, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, we know Ariana is gonna be a magic-based unit and apparently deal lightning and dark damage.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
She might have her uses in Arena too, with a LB build-up buff, a 30% Sleep/Silence AoE and being a mage.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The Ariana event seems like a chill thing, you probably don't need to run it a lot to grind all the equip and awakening materials, plus you get Gigantaurs at near Cactuar Dunes rates so that's also cool.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Armitage posted:

I miss the Doublicorns :( Haven't seen them in a few days. Come back buddy I miss you

what's a doublicorn I'm pretty sure that's just a legend.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Orlandu doesn't look like he needs a nerf considering how mobage games work. Plus, yeah, the only nerfed character was Noctis. Hell, I think most rebalancing stuff in Global were buffs.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm probably gonna have 100 tickets by the time the Orlandu banner comes out, which is kinda amazing. That's what happens when you only pull on meta-defining banners.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

aherdofpenguins posted:

I usually roll the half price dailies and sometimes use tickets, gambling that I would eventually get a Zidane. I don't have nearly 100 tickets, and I lost that gamble extremely hard :(

I also have no Zidanes. :smith:

I rarely use tickets and I tend to buy the 300-350 crystal bundles instead of daily pulling when they're available to "stockpile", which is probably why I'm doing fine in that regard.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I didn't have much trouble with Nyan~ Beast either. Used my default team of Luneth (600 ATK), Cecil, Refia (DC, it helps but it's not needed), CoD and WoL with Noctis friends (one real buff one and a more acceptable 600+ ATK one). Strat was keeping all buffs up (Focus, Embolden, Omniveil), WoL spamming Full Break and just doing DPS stuff. Dude has so much health it's hard to not fill up bars. I think if you have an event-capable team and Nian is getting you down, you're probably either neglecting your elemental resistances/SPR buffing or not auto-attacking during Preparation.

Try to overkill the thing with items, LBs and espers, just whittle him down to very low health and activate poo poo as fast as possible (Esper, LBs, then item), possibly while one of the DPSs use regular attacks. I got item and LB the first time around, then had to come back for the Esper. Now I just need to do the previous level, I didn't expect the Beast to melt as fast as it did first time around.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cartoon Man posted:

Anybody get Nintendo's Fire Emblem gacha game that came out today? I have no desire to get it, but I'm curious how it compares to FFBE's gacha.

I tried it out, although it apparently doesn't work long-term with Nox. Gacha rates are better (6% for a banner 5*, with odds increasing the more you pull), and since it just came out it felt like rerolling didn't really matter. Combat is a simplified version of FE combat, maps are very small and for as long as I played it didn't have any deep nuances to it. I dunno, it feels solid, like FFRK.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If you're in doubt, check Exvius Wiki, but yeah, usually the only things considered "magic" damage are traditional FF spells or abilities by pure magic units.

Anyway, I just kinda need to plot out a course of action for this event. I'm not enjoying it too much, to be fair. Too many levels, candy seems somewhat spare and the one item you wanna buy with it costs 50k.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

KataraniSword posted:

Nope, just the traditional FF spells. If something says you need to kill a boss with magic, things like Wicked Light (Exdeath) or Dystopia (Dark Fina) will not count. That said, since most of the solid mage units have some variant of dualcast, just use that as your watermark. If it can be dualcasted, it counts.

Huh, now that I think of it there's no "kill with magic DAMAGE" missions, it's always just plain "magic".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I appreciate the hustle but why does your Primm have DC, Vax?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
DualCAST. I don't think she can dualcast those abilities, that or I'm going insane.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Cecil/Refia/CoD is a godlike support shell, it only gets better if you add DC and a battery to the mix.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I didn't bring CoD and brought Exdeath instead. Eh, should be fine anyway.

<five minutes later>

holy poo poo holy gently caress everyone's dead and on fire help

Fenrir Noctis and Refia carried the team tho. Refia buff as gently caress tanked more poo poo than Cecil.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nuebot posted:

But were you using an 800+ noctis friend? Because a lot of people forget that one. Half the "F2P NO TM!!!!" guides for the event basically boiled down to "get a high level noctis, use your dual cast refia and level 100 cecil". I still can't get past the second boss of the drat thing because I just don't have the damage to do it, not even if I use a high level noctis.

I feel like it might be doable without DC if you're better at having resistances up (and get lucky with the deaths) but yeah, this might be the biggest wall since Maxwell.

Unfortunately every gacha game lands on this "you CAN do it f2p you just need this specific shell and a good friend/top unit you should've rerolled for".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I haven't played the game in a week, but I'm still alive! Nice to hear about the gacha changes.

• Locked thread