Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just started the game, and with my initial free 11 summon I'm currently running exdeath, Kain, Garland, Terra, and chizuru. It probably isn't the most powerful team, and I actually have a couple 4 stars I could use (vanille and Mercedes), but those feel boring!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Should I use the 5000 lapis I built up on an 11 pull on the greg vanquishers banner, or should I wait for something else?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I awakened my first person ever, whee. Awakened ExDeath so that he could get the -aga spells. As much as it saddens me to consider it I think I may replace Terra in my current party with Vanille(who I have 2 of now).

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
In my one week of playing I have gotten 0 Sheras, either through my free 11 pull or my daily 1/2 pulls. I just got a bunch of Mercedes, Sevens and Ciniques.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Is the 3000 lapis FF type 0 bundle thing worth it? Or the daily 500 lapis one?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Robotic Accolade posted:

Oh my god, I just got two Gilgameshes on an 11-roll on the player's choice banner. Is this real life?

I still don't have a Zidane, but with two Lightnings and (eventual) access to two of Gilgamesh's bracers, I guess that's less of an issue for me now?

And I got a total of 1 of the boosted rate units on my 11 pull...A chizuru, who I already had. Blah. 1500 lapis short of another 11 pull, which shouldn't take too long.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Yay, got my first ifrit event unit, although it is probably the worst one with Thancred.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Thancred #6, whee. At this rate he will definitely be my first TMR just by sheer numbers.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm just selling all of the dumb moogles if they aren't for someone I use or want to use.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Go RV! posted:

What are we qualifying as "enough" here? Cause I'm totally happy with just getting the three characters and their equipment.

I'd be happy just getting the three characters myself, but I don't see that happening, since I am pathetically weak and to even do PRO I need an absurdly powerful goon friend to 100% carry me, so I'm relying mostly on ADV runs.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Evil Fluffy posted:

You do realize those coins you're getting while farming can also get you Y'shtola right? The Y'shtola from points is there as a "the RNG screwed you hundreds/thousands of times so here's a consolation prize."

I'm working under the assumption that the RNG is going to hate me.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Wheee! Did my 2nd 11 pull on the players choice banner and got Noctis, Refia, Cecil x3, and Zidane. That makes up for my crappy first one.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It needs a lot of leveling up, but my new party consists of:

Cecil, Noctics, Chizuru, Exdeath, and Refia. This seems like a much better composition.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I can currently only do PRO when a certain few goon whale friends are available to bring. Have one 800+ noctis, one 1000+ Olive, and one 800+ person on a chocobo who can close to solo it with minor help from my team. At 150k points so far though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Evil Fluffy posted:

Make sure you have party members using buffs/debuffs, especially imperil, if you aren't. That way your Noctis buddies can focus on fire flask round 1 and then hitting with warp break or w/e until one side or the other dies. Give your team weapons with the same element so they can element chain to boost Noctis's damage further to up your chances of killing Ifrit before paralyze even has a chance to wear off.

I'd give up my Y'shtola in an instant if it meant my off-banner Queen dupe could turn in to Greg or Noctis. At least you got a bunch of atk/hp materia for your units. :shobon:

I always have my chizuru try to paralyze first to free up noctis to start other stuff earlier, and have exdeath imperil. The others just do their best to buff noctis, although I only have defensive buffs currently.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Well, that is kind of an abrupt block in the story. I've been relying on friends for boss battles, but ran into Veritas of the Heavens in Ambel, who you have to fight with no friends.. I'm honestly not sure what to do, I guess just grind levels? Running a party of Noctis, Cecil, Chizuru, Exdeath, and Refia, but the only one who I've awakened at all is exdeath up to 4*. Characters are in their mid 30s-40s, with the best equipment I can have at this point in the story without TMs. Am I just going to be spending a week grinding the beach for xp?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

March on Ifrit. I get it. Very clever.

Oh, hey. Look who I drew:

Yesssssss'shtola

I should be able to get her to 6 before the end of the event. Heal problems: solved.

Looking at Minfilia, her limit break is pretty good. It's a slightly-to-somewhat less powerful Cecil's but also attacks for 3.2 ATK. Just need to get the limit crystals flowing, does Cloud of Darkness's TMR stack? What else could one potentially use?

Similar vein of question, does Minfilia's exclusive skill stack? Getting an 80% chance of a retaliatory heal isn't bad at all.

Explore Lanzelt Ruins again, there's something that will really, really help you with Veritas of the Heavens there.

Bring a magic key. Buy one for 100 Lapis from the shop if you have to. Make sure you bring it with you in your equipped Party items.

My problem wasn't really so much in staying alive, since I assume you are taking about the baraerora recipe there. Until I got unlucky with some hits, and possibly a crit, against Refia I had no problems surviving for a long time, I was just doing such anemic damage to him that it would have taken like 20 minutes or more to deplete his health.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Okay, is there a way that I, as a filthy no-macro/no-TRM (except for Thancred's, of course) casual who's never drawn a 5★ base character in many months of playing this game, can reliably farm PRO Ifrit?

I've beaten him once, while getting lucky with a friend Noctis paralyzing him enough to allow me to do enough damage without him ever running away. ADV Ifrit dies reliably in one round, so I can farm him until the cows come home, but if there's a way to up my game on this one, I'd love to be able to.

The main team I generally use for clearing content at an adequate, if not awesome level, is:

• Exdeath, 6★, max level
  • Paladin Cecil, 6★, not maxed
  • Xiao, 6★, not maxed
  • Kefka, 5★, max level
  • Refia, 6★, not maxed

From what I can gather from reading Internet, at least some of these characters could make a good FTP A-team, though I imagine at some point I'll be trading out Xiao/Kefka? On the bench as possible worthwhile characters (who are at or can reach 6★, or are 5★ limited but maybe not total poo poo?), are: Leo (5★), Celes (5★), Firion (3★), Rain (3★), Bartz (3★), Cerius (3★), Cupid Artemios (4★), Agrias (4★), Seven (4★), Shine (5★), Nine (6★), Medius (6★), Minifilia (4★), Black Cat Lid (5★), Dick Bicycle (6★), Snow (4★), Ling (6★), Primm (4★), Cloud of Darkness (5★).

I'm guessing that the two people I want to sub in are Ling and CoD, especially if I can find some way to max out their levels? Whoever goes in, what strategy should I be using to deal with him, because I feel like I'm hitting a massive meat wall when I run up against him, and even when I survive his onslaught/keep healed up with Refia/Cecil, he ends up running his rear end away.

Equipment-wise, I have some good reward item swords from things, have crafted four Hero Rings, and have the Cupid items. Otherwise, I think I'm swimming in garbage items.

Is this possible, or am I a hopeless case, doomed to the land of ADV forever, barring great paralysis luck?

If you have a 800+ Noct for a friend have him fire flask first turn for a guaranteed paralyze. If you have any other buffs/debuffs apply them that turn. The next couple turns have Noct do warp break as part of a combo with your other people physically attacking. He may get unparalyzed once, but unless you are phenomenally unlucky Noct will survive, so just fire flask again and then just continue warp breaking till he dies.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Hmmm. My Chizuru and Exdeath are both almost maxed 4*. Should I awaken them immediately and know I'm going to be spending a few days at least releveling them up to useful, or leave them at Max for a bit...

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Ifrit pull 332 and I finally got whats-her-name, and have enough moogles to get her to 50% TMR. Woo hoo

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

MrLonghair posted:

Are you guys counting every 100 coins spent as a pull? Because I'm at 51 Thanc and 3 Thanc TM, 6 Minfilia, and gently caress the RNG of so many of you.

Yes, every 100 coins is one pull. I honestly wasn't even expecting to get her. Now I just need the rest of the materials to make the gear and the exclusive awakening materials.

1.5 thancred TMRs and minfilia and y'shotla both at about 50%

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
At this point my main concern from the ifrit event is that I won't get enough hide of the guardians to make both armor and weapon for y'shotla. I finally got my 5th today, which is enough for the armor, but I need a bunch more.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'd love to try another 11 pull on the players choice to try and get Greg, but I will probably have to save it for T.G. Cid.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just to rub a bit of salt in the wounds of you people who suck at RNGing, got my 2nd Y'shotla at 484 ifrit coin pulls. Also got everything from this players choice banner except Greg(RIP Greg) in 2 11 pulls and daily half price pulls.

Saying this I know I won't get Orlandu, but I can hope!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Ubiquitus posted:

Are people's raid summons seeing diminishing returns?

:barf:

Y'Shtola and 2 Minfilias with my morning Ifrit run(which was actually 10 orbs because my 5th run gave me a rank up and reset my orbs). Along with a pile of Thancreds of course, but hey, now I'm at 2.5 Thancred TMs and they are useful.

Also awakened Chizuru and Exdeath today, so now the only 4* I have left on my team is Cecil, everyone else is 5*(Cup Noodles, Chizuru, Exdeath, Y'shtola).

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

KDdidit posted:

Speaking of weird pulls, after getting 4 Hide of the Guardians in 4 days, I end up pulling 3 in a 6 pull :spooky:

Lucky bastard. I'm getting worried I won't be able to make her wand because I don't get gently caress all of those things.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Scrublord Prime posted:

:catstare:

I know the math in this game is totally hosed (see 10k summons or 10k arena or coliseum battles) but still holy poo poo. Still congrats on getting a totally decked out Cecil limit break!

10k arena or colliseum battles would only take 417 days if you spent every single orb and didn't waste any, not counting for any bonus orbs from rank ups. Totally doable!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Ok, at this point I know the game is just setting me up to be disappointed during the orlandu banner by expending all my luck during this event. Y'shtola #3. Do I need 3 of her TM?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Scrublord Prime posted:

Don't worry, I know my pull luck is poo poo. If after all my half pulls and... probably twenty tickets I end up with the banner 4* I'll consider it a good pull. It can't be worse than when it took me from July to the FF3 banner in November to pull my first base 4* character and it was Rosa. Hell I chased the Sprite from the SoM banner because I love SoM and after ~20 pulls I came up dry.

To be fair, it hasn't been all bad. My only rainbow was Noctis and not some 3* base poo poo and I've pulled three Zidanes. I still don't think I'll get Orlandu though

There was a SoM event? drat it, I'm unhappy I wasn't playing during that time, SoM is one of my favorite games ever.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
How do I get the materials to awaken prince cup noodles to 6*? Even if I somehow managed to get enough Ifrit points to get all the awakening materials available I will still be short on Calamity Gems. And that is assuming I can get enough points for the prismatic horns, which I have serious doubts on. Are the 6* awakening mats only from events?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

hagie posted:

Any reason to keep the following units:

Primm
Guy
Leon
Elle (TMR?)
Jack
Shera
Cupid Luna
Tellah
Seven (with out exclusive)

I have some strong units now, I just want a little breathing room. Most of these are event pulls that I have invested little of any exp or time.

You have to keep Primm because SoM is awesome.

Other than that I have no opinion because I've only been playing this game for like 2 weeks now!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I should have enough lapis for a 10+1 this weekend. Do I go for Orlandeu, or do I go for the players choice to try and get Greg. Considering I have everything else from the player choice already I suppose that the Tactics one is probably better to draw on? So many hard decisions.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Gentlemen, the end is nigh.

edit: So what was everyone's haul off the PC banner? I did 7 dailies, 10 tickets, and nabbed 2 Zidanes and 2 Cecils. Pretty decent set of pulls. Got my 8th Mustadio too...

In my 2 10+1 pulls, and dailies, I got 1 of everything from the PC banner except Greg, which makes me sad. He is one of my favorite FF characters, and his TMR is really nice.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Good lord. Congrats on your obscene luck!

That's some pretty obscene luck too.

I know. And I know it means that I won't get TG Cid in the next banner. I'm not really sure why they are calling it a "FFT" banner considering only 50% of the units on it are from FFT, but oh well. Maybe my absurd luck will continue. If I got Orlandeu I think that I could pretty safely get by with my current units for a very, very long time(Cecil, Prince Noodles, TG Cid, Exdeath, Y'Shtola sounds like a pretty solid party to me!)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
A 10+1 pull and 10 tickets later and no TG Cid. Sad. Not sure if I will get enough lapis for another 10+1 pull by the end of the banner, but am going to try! Main problem with that is I'm going to spend most of my energy on the event.

Probably going to spend most of my energy this weekend on cactuar dunes though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ShinyDais posted:

So I'm out of cheap event tickets, and easy pulls for banner units in general. I'm going to buy Cactuars sooner or later anyway (lots of decent units to level up), should I just run the new and improved Cactuar Dunes for a little bit?

You can get up to 7 gigantaurs or whatever they call it from the highest level for 15 energy. One hell of a deal.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Mr. Swoon posted:

3 Soleils, one unremarkable knight and an Orlando friend met some chocobos and, uh... :stare:

You can get an absurd amount if you have bonuses from event units and run into chocobos.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Sadly a lot of the goons on my friends list I was leaning on for Ifrit have switched over to units who are not useful for doing ifrit, so I am no longer able to get quite as much rank xp to speed up energy refreshes

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ShinyDais posted:

Are you running PRO or ELT? Does a 736 Atk Gilgamesh (w/null para) help you get through?

I don't have Cid or even Soleil to provide as a bonus unit so I figure I might as well leave Ifrit-geared Greg out.

I'm doing PRO. My team isn't able to accomplish much of anything on their own in it, I try and paralyze with chizuru, and do some buffing/debuffing with my other units. I've been relying on 600+ noctises and 900+ olives(and a single 800+ Yun) to clear it. The problem with Greg is that he doesn't have the reliable paralyze that Noct has I don't think? My Noct isn't 6* to get fire flask himself yet, although that should happen later today. After which I will be able to do it much more reliably with a much larger subset of companions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ShinyDais posted:

Ahh, I've been able to blow through PRO myself so I hadn't really analyzed the key points for the event. I'll flip Greg's gear over to Noctis for the event then, it sounds like you don't really need him for very long but just in case you or somebody else finds him helpful.

I haven't played FF14, anybody know any good, short Noctis quotes I could goon-ify for my player message? Gotta preserve my (lame) brand.

I'm currently running a full 5* party of Cecil, Noctis, Chizuru, Exdeath, and Y'shtola, but I have crap equipment and the only TMs I have are Thancreds(4 at this point) and Minifilias. The only true guarantee I have of winning is to paralyze him turn 1, either by chizuru succeeding or a companion noctis fire flasking him. Without the paralyze a streak of bad luck can cause me to lose even with 1000+ olives.

Once I finish getting the awakening mats from the event for Noctis I have 10 metal gigantaurs waiting for him, and can get more from the cactuar dunes, so I should be able to do it much more reliably. Just need the energy for a few more event runs!

• Locked thread