Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Shoenin posted:

They need to add Sword chucks

Swordchucks, yo.

EDIT: This story character exclusive equipment doesn't look terrible.

DOUBLE EDIT: 6* Fina gets Curaja, Raise, and Esuna, plus some abilities untranslated by Reddit. No Dualcast? Still, she's finally better than Traffic Cone Fina, which is amazing if you squint and tilt your head.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Dana Crysalis posted:

VERY important note: The story character exclusive abilities do, in fact, work on the new CG 5* base variants. So that sweet 5* Lasswell with a 40% ATK katana? yeeeeah... get the equipment.

Do they work on the Halloween guys too? The Monster Hunter and magical summer breeze beach versions?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Office Thug posted:

When should I start thinking about TM farming? Right now I'm sitting at Rank 32 so I only have 72 NRG, I figure TM Farming is infinitely better at higher ranks since it's going to cost a lot of Lapis to recharge NRG right?

Think about it now.

You don't have to use a Lapis refresh, just burn all the energy you're not using on the story, events, etc.

Once your energy is much higher, consider using Lapis to speed things along.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tagichatn posted:

There's no reason to replay old events if you beat it already right?

Not unless you missed some missions or don't have enough Excalipoors.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dana Crysalis posted:

Most RNG seeds use the time() as part of their calculation. It's still RNG gonna RNG, so it won't actually help.

Does anyone have a BiS (or near) Enhanced Elza yet? I wanna nab the two Echidna summon tickets without hassle. :(

No, but I used this video from the wiki, it uses Bartz, Cecil, Ling, Yshtola and a friend Olive. The video description has their loadouts.

It went about as smoothly as the video.

I could put up my Ling if you don't have one, all the Olive (which I don't have) is there for is her True Shot, she could be replaced with Setzer or somebody else, maybe Firion. Someone with a good single target attack that ignores defenses.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dana Crysalis posted:

Meh, I just wanted to be lazy about it. And no, I don't have Olive or Ling. Or Setzer.

Well, I can put my Ling up if you change your mind later.

The strategy in that video will take Echidna down in about 10 minutes, and is fairly safe.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here are a bunch of titles for the new topic. I have bolded my favorites.

Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius Global:

You Should Have Rerolled
Magical Beach Summer Fun Get
Bediled Again
Shadowned
Just Use Three Orlandeus
Ultros Boogie
Pray For The Best, Expect The Worst
You're Gonna Need Those Excalipoors Later
Just Use Ling
Four Fina Challenge
The Story Ends When The Money Drys Up
iOS Switch Control: A Tutorial
Did The Latest Update Break Nox For You Too?
Did The Latest Update Break Memu For You Too?
Are There Stairs In Your Crystal?
There's A Story Mode?
There's a Colosseum Mode?
Waiting for Rikku
Just Wait Till Rikku Comes Out
One Day There Will Be 6* Warriors Of Light
Half Price Pull Errday
Don't Half Price Pull, Just 10+1 Pull
Slaves To The Gacha
WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE RNG SEED IS
BASED UPON TIME OF DAY?!?

Hey, Look Who I Got Today!
Last Week's Banner Character, Off-Banner
A Sea of Bediles
Let Me Tell You Why 5*-Max Characters Are Worthless
Macros Saga

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ubiquitus posted:

Please tell me you added that last one for me :stwoon:

Sure!

Kheldarn posted:

With the Anniversary coming up, I would suggest a title that might draw in new players.

Macros Saga seems non-threatening, doesn't it? Maybe work in a Minmei/Ariana Grande joke somewhere.

Macros Saga: Ariana Grande sings better than
Minmei.

Ariana Grande is our Minmei

Is just like Minmei... I dunno. Something like that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here in 'merica, it was known as Robotech. They had a space carrier with planes that looked suspiciously like Jetfire the Transformer.

Minmei was a pop singer on that show who was caught up in their outer space adventures (a whole city that found a crashed alien space ship* was teleported into outer space in the first episode, only saved by energy shields from said spacecraft) whose voice had a profound effect on the aliens, teaching them hu-mon emotions such as love, much like Goon-favorite Ariana Grande

Macross sounds like macros, which a lot of people in these parts use for TM grinding, I hear.

* or power source, or something. It's been a looong while.

\/\/\/ I know, dude. I know. I'm a regular in the Transformers thread. :v:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 21, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bubba Fuzz posted:

I had given up on getting Tilith after getting about half a dozen off-banner golds, including every other 4-star healer in the game. After reading all the stuff about pulling at different times of day, I figured why not, and threw one last 3am ticket at the banner. It was Tilith.

Yeah, ungodly hours often give good results, I've found.

Got Kelsus today. He needs 60 more shards to get to 6*, maybe look into getting the shards from King Mog if you're you can get 360 by the end of the month.

Kelsus' animations are adorable. He flicks targets with his thumb and index finger. His victory animation has him picked up by his own arms by his scruff like a kitty and put in one palm, while the other one gives the "peace" sign.

Any 6* units you don't want to use are probably good for Expiditions, anyway. Traffic Cone Fina's time to shine!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
All this anecdotal evidence probably has to do with the time-based RNG seed somehow... that or time-based superstition.

The former seems more likely.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ghostnuke posted:

I was too until I started playing around with the unit calculator...

FFBE: I checked on the unit character and it was suboptimal...

Cartoon Man posted:

Units by 50.

Noice.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
All inventory slots, not just characters, have been upped by 50. Nice.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Adventurer Materias require one of the previous rank (except rank 1) and a whole bunch of Relics. Adventurer 5 requires 1200 relics and Adventurer 4, for instance.

We're all getting these eventually.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ Mine have been maxed out since the beginning. Yes, I want a medal for my foresight.

Either that half-price energy for story missions hasn't kicked in yet, or these new missions are 20 each.
\/\/\/ D'oh.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Office Thug posted:

Ahhh gently caress I can only use story characters for the Trials? It took me everything just to Awaken and max two units.

They're not going anywhere, and the story units have lower experience and material costs. Except Lasswell.

BDawg posted:

I was upset it wouldn't let me use Dark Fina.

Or Black Cat Lid!

McSpankWich posted:

The story only character trials were rather underwhelming. Not that I was expecting them to be Trial difficulty, but none of them did anything besides 3-8 regular physical attacks that hit for like 200-400. I didn't even need to heal if Sakura used her DR every turn, and all of them went down in 3 turns

Well, try awakening Fina and hopping in there without leveling her. I had to do Rain and Lasswell's twice for the no-kills. Level 1 6* Fina falls over in a stiff breeze.

Winged Orpheus posted:

How important is rerolling? I just started so I won't really be losing anything but it kinda looks like a pain in the dick to actually do

You will eventually become quite powerful regardless of refilling. You may give up before this point if you don't reroll for at least one 5-star unit to make the journey there easier, though.

Stick that in the new OP, TC.

hamsystem posted:

Is Tillith going away when her banner does because I would reroll for her if you're just starting. Like a 5* DPS is great and all but a great healer and support are what carries teams.

Yes. She is only around during Brave Frontier events.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
These trials weren't that hard. Here's what you do, if you're a newer player and still struggling. You may have to progress in the story to the point where you have all the characters and Espers you need.

6* Rain: Undermine! Then, elemental or physical damage as per the boss's weakness. Fire is good.

6* Lasswell: Exorcising Storm for ochu minions, otherwise Blade Flash.

6* Fina: Cheer, keep up the group heals. If you have Curaja, you're golden.

5* Sakura: Defensive Barrier, then Dualcast Thundaja all day.

5* Nichol:Um... Libra? Then Barblizzara or Watega as appropriate.

Rain's Undermine, Fina's Cheer, and Sakura's Defensive Barrier really even your odds.

If you have a Dual Wield, give it to Lasswell, he can get to a respectively high ATK and make the fights super short.

Honestly, the hardest part of these trials is switching your equipment around from your main team to the story guys (not that the story guys -Rain, Lasswell, Fina, Sakura, Black Cat Lid- are bad, it's just that there are so many better ones)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PaybackJack posted:

Serenity now; insanity later.

By rerolling you can essentially choose to start the game with any character you want that's currently in the pool. Namely one of the best, most future proofed characters, that's going to make life really easy and allow you to take on the hardest content with significantly less challenge, or even at all. Some people straight up can't do certain content because they don't have good enough characters.

Of course you don't have to, but you're missing a huge opportunity by not doing it.

I'm writing a new OP for the anniversary and the new player section is a giant wall of text telling you to reroll.

Well slap that in there as a TL;DR. They're gonna have a better time if they reroll.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Only 90%.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

Marie is all set for the turbo Maxwell fight tomorrow. I fixed my lovely Carbuncle esper so it now has cura and therefore Marie can roll with a staff of wrath instead of a healing staff.

Hit "Love you all" and send her Light resistance up to 200%, lol.

Cleared some space so send me an invite if you lurk the thread.

I can do something almost as good with my Marie if this something people would like. I don't have Celestial Gloves or Rainbor Robe, though.

Nuebot posted:

I can't do the story character equip missions because I literally have not leveled up my story characters at all.

You know, one of the benefits to not rerolling back at launch is that I got in the habit of leveling up my story units, out of necessity at first, then as a mini-Cactaur sink.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

new kind of cat posted:

christ i wish Gumi would write Jake out of the story. what a garbage character.

What, and ignore the rich history of anime tropes that makes up 90% of the game's plot?

HGH posted:

You know how early on Rain was hitting on everything up to and including Shiva? But now he's a lot more "hotblooded noble hero man that loves his enemies" with some barely there tension with the two Finas.

It seems that earlier side of the character was written into its own thing as Jake except there's nothing else to counterbalance it anymore so it's just a guy going "Women eh eh?" 24/7 while everyone threatens to kill him.
Whatever semblance of character the Zoldaad story and event added to him are easily ignored thanks to this obnoxiousness.
At least we got drop kicking Lid out of it.

That's a good point.

new kind of cat posted:

This was truly a worthwhile moment, however, i'm not sure if it's worth reliving for eternity

I'm sorry, are you new at being a Goon? We're supposed to cling unhealthily to things for years and years and years...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Got a Protagonist's Halo as an exposition award.

It's Provoke, but it's a consumable.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Scrublord Prime posted:

Because I never read patch notes I just learned the training dummy is now available! It's just in the farplane at the top of the map, north east of the tower that has the original trial bosses. Now I can practice sick chains for Setzer to finish in a desperate attempt to cheese trial bosses :toot:

Yeah, I thought there was gonna be something tough in there, it was just a google being clueless.

For JP players, do they open up more of the Farplane at any point? Is there a synopsis of the JP story?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Khisanth Magus posted:

To this point I don't think I've passed a single expedition that didn't have at least 90% chance of success, and I've even failed most 90% ones. Beginning to think the numbers may be off on those...

Are you sending units with the bonus stat for the mission equipped? I've never failed a mission yet, even 40% success chance ones, although it's possible I may just have good luck currently.

The bonus stat for the mission does not seem to overtly affect the percentage that a given unit will contribute to total mission success percentage.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shoenin posted:

So what is the consensus for farming relics?

I heard S and A arent worth it, but im hearing that B isnt worth it eithe. To only go for those if you need or like the reward.

Lowest time, best reward, meet all bonus requirements.

Winged Orpheus posted:

Which vortex dungeon should I run? I get the basic ones but I'm not sure what the event ones do

You should be running the story to get all the free goodies. By the time you're done with that, you should know what vortex dungeons to do.

Here is a pro-tip!

Orlandeu can lose 17 ATK if he switches out Excalibur for Apocalypse. Divine Ruination is still a good skill, and does not inflict Light damage on its own, that's where Excalibur or Durandal come in.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Look at that. Full House completed with a 34% chance of success. I'm 99% convinced that the bonus skill requirement for units has a hidden percentage boost.

Spelunking Splendor, on the other hand, failed. Need more data on how bonus skills work.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Two more expeditions ready to turn in.

Tavern Cleanup at 45% chance completed successfully, with 5 FF 3 units, and Lost In The Dark at 56% chance failed, because I only had 3 FF 1 characters to send.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well, I looked at the wiki before I made those last two posts to make sure what the expeditions needed for bonus requirements, the game doesn't tell you after the fact.

The "bonus" highlight doesn't always match what the mission bonus is requesting, especially when it comes to magic types, it seems.

There's something going on here, it may just be a display error. More data is needed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Two doublecast Ultimas is enough to kill 90% of the Arena teams I've encountered in the first round.

Three should be sufficient for 100% 1-round wins.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
634,188,307 to be goonpals with a Maxwell/Ling/Orlandeu/Fohlen user.

I sent a request to Astrochicken and have two slots currenly open, the rest are all Goons as far as I can tell.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Astrochicken posted:

Ive dropped some cash on this game but i havent landed any 5 base chars i dont think. My current party is

Sozhe
Tilith
Setzer
Kefka/agrias
Cloud of darkness

All maxed. Also have a maxed terra on the side. I want to believe i can make it through this. Gonna wait for the anniversary thing though. I will reroll if i have to.

You're not gonna run into real trouble until later with a setup like that. You're not even guaranteed to, mind you, but a 5* base will make things significantly easier for longer.

For a newer player, great advice is to finish the story and Colosseum for all the free loot you can handle. Don't worry too much about events if you can't swing them at first... they're designed for people who have finished the story and Colosseum.

I started with a Golbez and Terra, and now have over 10 natural 5* units including Orlandeu. Half price pull errday.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I just wrote down all the ability crysts I would need for my current units, and it's overwhelmingly Power and Support. A couple White, Black, Green and Healing, but it mostly seems to be the first two.

It's really too bad you can't get both in one chamber.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So the guaranteed 5* 10+1 summon will be 5000 Lapis, that's not terrible.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Gumi would never troll us about new ways to take our money, don't be ridiculous.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
How hard is it for a friend Frylevia to carry ELT Maxwell? I'm asking for... another friend.

Cartoon Man posted:

expedition.jpg

Put this in the new OP please.

You're never gonna have a successful mission because Best Number One Unit Bedile isn't from FF3.

The secret success percentages are a fickle mistress.

In other news, I did this:

Am I good?

After the next batch of TMRs is done, I will have enough Dual Wields for a full party and a 100% Evade Fohlen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Khisanth Magus posted:

Looking at the 5* units available to pull tomorrow, looks like there are about 11 out of 23 that are generally considered great pulls:

Orlandeu
Wilhelm
Noctis
Olive
Ramza
Marie(?)
Fryevia
Aileen
Reberta
Fohlen
Tidus

I put Marie as a ? because it seems to me that there have been other units that can do her role about as well as she does in most situations.

In the "meh" category where it is an OK unit but isn't really something to celebrate. Typically casters or units that are only wanted for their TMs:
Trance Terra
Rem
Gilgamesh
DK Cecil
Emperor

In the "Why does Gumi hate me" category, units that have either been completely made obsolete by power creep or were just never good to begin with:
Delita
Lightning
Luneth
Dark Fina
Ace
Queen
Seabreeze Dark Fina

That look about right to more experienced people?

Ace is a loving MP battery with his enhancements. He's actually very good, just not pure DPS.

Dark Fina and Trance Terra can Dualcast Ultima, so they win me most of my Arena matches. Any boss weak to magic will melt before them.

Marie is the best green mage.

• Locked thread