Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

None of the old layouts are ever coming back so why waste the calories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

The moral WDC was you, the fans.

RELEVANT SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
Time Magazine Person of the Year, 2006
Formula One Moral World Drivers' Champion, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Why not continue to use the pretty good, purpose built F1 track we already have in America, instead of bulldozing everything we like about other tracks?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

djssniper posted:

So a Bernie owned track may get a GP, I wonder how much he charges himself?
I imagine an eternal cat tied to a piece of buttered toast deal going on

To say Bernie owns Paul Ricard is almost insulting to how complicated Bernie's finances really are.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's owned by his family trust, which is now controlled by his ex-wife and their two kids, and also inexplicably pays him 100m/year as part of their divorce settlement.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Because COTA is a garbage-tier circuit.

COTA is a good-to-very-good F1 circuit. Everyone agreed on this until like 6 months ago when a bunch of morons started whining about it for no reason.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I literally heard zero complaints about COTA until the month prior to the USGP this year. It's baffling. The track is almost as good as you are ever going to get from a purpose-built F1 circuit in the 21st century.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

People were pointing out the cut-n-paste sections from other circuits literally from the day of the track map being revealed. The whole track feels like one of those dumb lazy magazine articles about THE ULTIMATE F1 CIRCUIT made from all the corners everyone likes tagged together but missing the point completely.

They were pointing them out, not criticizing them. It works well.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The chance of any top driver willingly joining a team with Hamilton has got to be pretty slim at this point, right?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Counterpoint: Class loving act. Doesn't feel the need to try and "high score" since he's honestly not one of the all-time-god-tier drivers, just a hard working guy that won't be able to top what just happened ever. Why not quit at that point and go enjoy life?

Nice guys. Tries hard. Loves the game.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

I got the impression that with Big Ron out of the picture, that contract for Button to return became null and void, hence Button's step change from 'sabbatical' to 'retirement.'

Possibly misreading it, but it all seemed a bit shonky when it was announced and the timing of Ron's ousting and Button's changing tone seemed a bit too coincidental.

It was Ron who wanted Button out. Him leaving would have the opposite effect. And it's a contract with McLaren, not Ron. In reality, Button returning in 2018 was always a very unlikely possibility, and he probably just realized he didn't want to do it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

The refusing to turn the engine off in a free practice thing soured me a bit and he's really struggled to beat teammates that he should've been consistently faster than.

No way Mercedes could handle a petulant driver or one who isn't as good as his teammate.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"Nico Rosberg: A classy move from a classy man"

This is the title of an article that you should not read and that I will not link here.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Schumacher retired, came back, retired again then got brain damage.

So maybe that will happen to Nico? :shrug: we can only speculum.

Outrageously selfish from Nico, he should at least share one of these life experiences with Max.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wow I cannot believe why a fabulously wealthy person would want to stop doing a thing that might kill them??

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Reminds me of when Chris Borland, an NFL linebacker with a lot of potential, retired after one year because of concussion worries.

More and more NFL players are doing this, taking a huge pay check for a couple years and then retiring before they retard themselves. Hilarious how the NFL is still just trying to hide the problem that will kill their sport if they don't fix it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Imagine if they hire Button

I've been banned before so it's not very hard to imagine.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lewis' problem isn't that he's whiny or petulant or spends too much time with celebrities and tries to act like a Hollywood star. His problem is that he's genuinely unbearable in literally every single way.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lewis' personality kind of reminds me of Andy Roddick, tbh. They both just have the worst attitudes, that's why they're so much fun.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What the heck is Toto getting at here? http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127386/mercedes-reluctant-to-chase-vettel-or-alonso

quote:

When asked about trying to lure the contracted Sebastian Vettel from Ferrari or Fernando Alonso from McLaren, Wolff said that was not high on his agenda.

"It's not my intention to interfere with Ferrari's internal issues," Wolff told Gazzetta Dello Sport.

"And I don't even know if Sebastian really has the intention to come to us.

"It's the same thing [with Alonso]: what would Ferrari and McLaren do without Vettel and Alonso in December?

"Or Williams without [Valtteri] Bottas? [That] option is the one I like the least."

It really seems like he's saying "I don't want to gently caress them over this late in the year," which is just bizarre.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

One of these is not like the others.

He's presumably saying "I don't want to make enemies out of these teams, especially Williams," but it reads a lot like "Bottas sucks."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Basticle posted:

Big John and Perez.

Probably the only options that would be genuinely exciting.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1 Offseason:

Hand Knit posted:

Let's let this one go, and get back to talking about fast cars and their drivers.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

Still third behind Hill and Villeneuve.

Correct, he is the third shittiest son of a driver to win the WDC.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Remember how awful Villeneuve was at Sauber? lmao

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

I think Merc know they have another dominant car and are playing it off as though that's not the case, verbal sandbagging.

I think it's the opposite. They know they won't be so utterly dominant that they can have their two drivers at each other's throats and still easily win the title. They're going to sign a clear #2 driver and this is them preemptively justifying it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It would be hilarious if Mercedes signs one of the weaker drivers commonly mentioned (Wehrlein, Ocon, Perez, Hulkenberg, Grosjean) and they end up doing just as well as Rosberg.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Why the gently caress would Button come out of retirement and join Mercedes?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Because he'd have a shot at the championship, the only reason he retired was because the McLaren is dogshit.

You're not this stupid, Jeff.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dude was replaced by McLaren and given an "option" we all knew would never get picked up. Don't start this dumb poo poo, Hefe.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's like getting fired and then yelling, "OH YEAH? WELL THEN I QUIT!"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

I was talking to my brother about this and he was betting it would be Bottas, but it looks like that's not likely. And if it's not Whereline then who's still on the list? Unless Toto's just messing with us.

If it's Wehrlein then it should be announced very soon. If it takes much longer I'd imagine they are trying to get someone else out of their contract. Maybe they take Perez and give Wehrlein to Force India? Lord knows FI always needs the money, a free driver and maybe discounted engines would be hard to turn down.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Will Mercedes wager on Pascal?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sweet, a second American team (maybe): http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hellmund-favourite-to-take-over-manor-f1-team-857033/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Problem from Perez point of view is that Force India are not going to want to give up the big sponsorship dollars he brings in. Mercedes would have to pay out some big money to take him.

Yeah, good point. Seems like it's just going to be Wehrlein.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gmaz posted:

Chilton?

Children by the million scream for Max Chilton.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Famous Formula 1 race finisher Max Chilton, the only Our Max there is

He's a big star.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Hulk is our generation's Giancarlo Fisichella.

Except worse in every way.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

*adjusts numbers* Hulk is our generation's Jarno Trulli?

Exactly.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Thats more like it. Pasta Maldonado was our Fisichella, judging by the one fluke win. (only he could never hope to have as stylish taste in sunglasses as Are Gianc)

"One fluke win" is Trulli's middle name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/essaarGP/status/805871434874683392

:(

• Locked thread