Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
This kinda sucks :(

He had a good 4 or 5 years left in him, and even if he couldnt sustain a challenge to Hamilton - whats wrong with driving around getting a bag load of podiums every year.

Heck he must be leaving so much cash on the table. Im sure his latest contract, whilst not on Hammy's level, would have been worth $10 million a year.

dreesemonkey posted:

I really hope not. I haven't been impressed with Wehrlein at all. I'd like to see an established heavy hitter in there. Even someone sneaky like Perez would be fine. I don't want them to make Lewis obvious #1.

loving this. My gut tells me Wehrlein is nothing special and if Merc retain their advantage into next season Lewis will win 17-18 races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Could have been a good spot for Hulkenberg for atleast a single season until Merc can sort someone out.

I reckon Mr Briatore suddenly got very busy making calls about an hour ago..

Edit - Just this morning I was just watching the Sky interview with Rosberg sitting with his trophy. Asked about next season he pretty bluntly said 'Im not thinking about next season at all, just enjoying the moment.'

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 2, 2016

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

I think lewis loves it. He's going to go down as one of the greatest of all time, Rosberg (N) will join his father as a pub quiz trivia question.

I got a trivia question for ya - Which "all time great" lost the easiest WDC ever to a pubtrivia grade driver?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Khablam posted:

Remember when you were 10 years old, and your best friend / older brother beat you 18 times in a row at tekken?
Remember winning once, then throwing down the controller and lauding the victory, and not playing the brother / friend again?

Nico Rosberg everybody!

I mean, if an actual factual statement made without any embellishment, adjectives or editorial-speak is "belittling" then who really is at fault?
The best burns are always where you speak truth people want to ignore in their own story.

He won Formula BMW and GP2 championships on his way to F1. Hardly the first time he won anything in 18 years.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
It obviously got buried under Rosberg talk, but Lorenzos comments about driving a hybrid era F1car were pretty bleak. Its like Alonso has been saying for years- the cars are way to easy to drive.

Cars that are easy to drive tend to equalise performance between team mates, which I suspect is a large part of the reason the boss is WDC this year.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I get what you're saying but Prost said that about the Red Bull cars when he drove them. This isn't a new complaint and it's not going to be resolved next year.

I read up the autosport article on Prost's test. He doesnt really say that it was easy to drive. Infact he says that he decided to take it easy.

Its not a great comparison anyway because it should be much easier for Prost, one of the most successful F1 drivers ever. Lorenzo has had a couple of single seater tests.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
gently caress off to D&D with that rubbish.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

wicka posted:

If it's Wehrlein then it should be announced very soon. If it takes much longer I'd imagine they are trying to get someone else out of their contract. Maybe they take Perez and give Wehrlein to Force India? Lord knows FI always needs the money, a free driver and maybe discounted engines would be hard to turn down.

Problem from Perez point of view is that Force India are not going to want to give up the big sponsorship dollars he brings in. Mercedes would have to pay out some big money to take him.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Keeping in mind that basically everything except for the fact that Mclaren cheated and did steal the data is merely rumours and speculation.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
So who is a less bad choice Bottas or Wehrlein, cause it looks like were gonna be stuck with one of em. Unless Sainz' management can work some magic, which for the sake of next season being watchable I hope they can.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
90s Schumacher was so so much better then everyone else and it makes me laugh when people imply Hakkinen was on a similar level or more 'naturally fast'.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Hammy is kinda playing it both ways with regards to his input. Earlier he said that unlike those scrubs who im so much better than, I dont have a clause for deciding my team mate. Now he's saying Merc are 'contractually' obliged to 'discuss' the candidates with me....

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Soon liberty will arrive at the correct conclusion, which is more spec parts on the cars and/or huge technical restrictions, like making aero dimensions so strict that there is essentially only one way to build a front wing or whatever. Aero r&d is such a waste of money anyway - does it actually trickle down to road cars at all?

Thats the way to bring down costs. When Merc realises that the extra 200million they are paying in R&D over the smaller teams is only giving them eight tenths a lap, instead of 2 and a half seconds, they will see its a poo poo return on investment.

The net result for F1 would be lowered costs, more parity, and a grid full of talented drivers, with therr being no need to sell seats for cash and sponsorship.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Alain Post posted:

This is hilarious because when you make the cars more and more equal, minuscule performance improvements actually become even more important, and valuable

Totally wrong professor. What becomes more important is a good driver pairing and good team operations - pitstops, strategies etc.

As for the 8 tenths I meant it more in terms of 8 tenths over some mythical baseline car. If Ferrari managed to get 6 tenths worth with their own development and RB 7 tenths.....now maybe its not worth Mercedes money.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I am trying to say that but i dont see why it wouldnt work. Or atleast largely contribute to the goal.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
So Mercedes are essentially paying atleast 20 million euros for Bottas to drive in 17, assuming the engine discount is only for 1 year and a 3 million wage for Bottas.

Sounds to me like they got absolutely fleeced. Surely that sort of cash could have been used to negotiate Sainz or Perez from their contracts.

They must think really highly of Werhlein if they are paying that much to have him not drive the car.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Ms Curve its taken a while, but that was a good post.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Too fake, too robotic.

If were picking F1 wags then give me Bernies wife Fabiana any day of the week.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

wicka posted:

I'm gonna say it every day until I die: the ads are unbearable, but NBC's coverage is vastly superior to Sky in literally every other way. Sky's F1 coverage is among the worst sports broadcasts in the world. Just awful.

Hearing Americans talk about F1 is basically like nails on a chalk board.

Edit - According to the judge13, Liberty are interested in 2 races over the Saturday and Sunday. To me that sounds like probably the worst change they could make to F1 and I reaaaally hope it doesn't happen.

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 3, 2017

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

I'm Crap posted:

What makes you say that, other than the mistaken general perception that people have that the stars who were around when they first watched a particular sport were the first ones ever to be any good? I imagine you're going to say something about professionalism and the age at which kids start today. A lot of drivers were half-assed amateurs back then, true. But there were always drivers around who were fully professional and who had been into dirt track racing, midgets or karts or some poo poo since age 8 - and they couldn't (and can't) necessarily beat talented '"'"gentleman"''"' racers, even if they started at age 20. Whatever that dipshit Malcolm Gladwell says, some tiny number of people are naturals, and they have always existed and still do. Sebastien Loeb didn't start racing cars until his early twenties, for instance.

I like to think of it like Usain Bolt going back to the 50's for the 100m sprint where the world record was like a 10.2. Don't think he would have all that much trouble. Hell the 200m record was a 20.6. A time he could beat at age 15. The money, training, science and professionalism that goes into all sports now is way more advanced then what it was back in the day. I see the old grand prix drivers as half daredevil half sportsman. A poo poo load of bravery and a good amount of talent, but not compared to todays stars.

Although speaking of talent I do feel that F1 does have a huge problem with the grid being half full of guys that arent there purely, or even primarily, on talent alone. Even the sons of former racers is a big problem if you ask me. Bossberg, Magnussen, Palmer, Sainz, Verstappen - it begs the question of whether racing (or any sporting) talent is genetic in some way, or did these guys make it too the top because they came from privileged backgrounds and had famous last names. It may be a bit of both, but either way it isnt a good look for F1.

Of the 24 drivers this year 5 are the sons of racing drivers and 4 are there entirely from sponsor money! (Erricson, Guiterrez, Haryanto, and Nazr)

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I think these sort of lists, especially when it comes to the guys from the 50s and 60s are more about how much driver x was better relative to his contemparies, rather then a direct comparison to later guys. I dont think its a put em all in a time machine for a race style ranking.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Oh yeh man waggle fighting, iOS style reaction games and old ports. Nintendo is like the Leigh Diffey of game developing - useless trash.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Thats what you get for having dreams and hobbies outside of sitting on your rear end surfing the web pal.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Im thinking more that the F1 name lives on, but the style ends up way to much like NASCAR and other American sports.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I think his hair treatment is actually going pretty well. Wonder what it is costing him.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
One refreshing thing about Vandoorne is his age. He turns 25 on the day of the Australian GP. Nice not to have another kid under 21 joining the grid.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

keevo posted:

Daniel Ricciardo was on the Grand Tour. RIP.

Should I download the episode or was it just that dumbass segment where they announce a guest then the guest dies? Holy poo poo the studio segments are bad.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Maybe he knows Claire likes it raw?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Peter Windsor has programmed you well. He never shut up abbout Arai when he did the "Teds Notebook" role.

Dont forget to talk about Brembo vs Carbon Industries brakes.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I infact love seeing that synergy letter in my mailbox. It means I can reward them for their fantastic service every 2 months. Thank you to synergy for its glorious contribution to the great city of Perth.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm considering especially since I'm probably going to cut Le Mans this year but Jesus loving Christ I seriously just got an email from MLB and it's $80 less.

The yank sports really have streaming sorted out. NBA has 82 games per team (30 teams) per season. You can watch them ALL on league pass! Thats a couple of thousand games! The baseball season has 162 games for each team so that must be insane amounts of content. F1 hasn't even offered up anything for maybe 100 events if you include practice and quali for each race. It would be so easy from a technical standpoint. Obviously much harder from a commercial rights one.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Yeh I know the US has some funny blackout rules, but they haven't affected me in Australia. Then again I mainly only fire it up for the NBA playoffs.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Let me go ahead and write the day 1 testing summary ahead of time

'Bottas leads the way, 3 tenths ahead of the Ferrari of Vettel. Bottas managed an impressive 93 laps today, running into no problems whatsoever. Sadly for Mclaren, they were only able to finish 8 laps, all of which appeared to be un-timed installation laps.'

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Calling it now, big comeback year for Seb. He's never been to fond of the hybrids, but atleast with the cornering speeds back up I think he will adapt well. Seb 2013 was basically the best season for a driver ever.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Yeh Horner sucks compared to those brilliant team bosses like Arrivabene, Boullier, Domenicalli, Whitmarsh, Claire Williams.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

poty posted:

A bunch of children in this thread can't tell a kickass sex party when they see one

Oh yeh it would be so awesome railing some super hot $3000/hr hooker whilst Flav is peeking over as hes getting blown. Niki alongside, his scabby, wrinkly body thrusting furiously. Max turning up with the extermination camp outfits.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Ferrari giving us all some hope of a decent season. Bacon briefcase and all, but I think theres some legit pace in the car.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Yeh I was talking about the 1:19 flats they managed...18.6 is uh, pretty good!

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hah, I was certain that they ran without ballast in order to get headlines and sponsors. I mean, the team had folded, Brawn bought it and in the last minute got an engine deal from Mercedes and bolted in on an car designed for a Honda engine. There was no way that they were going to be a contender in any way or form. I don't think they even made it to the first test.

Let me go ahead and make you feel slightly worse about not taking a punt that year - I did and I won $1200 bucks. Told my brother to do the same but he only won about $600 because he put half on a Barrichello WDC (lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
What two NFL teams got all the money?

• Locked thread