Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't buy it. Also the article seems to be Implying this will happen during the season. LMAO.

wicka posted:

McLaren is not dropping Honda, they fund half the loving team and McLaren would literally be sub-Williams without them. Also, McLaren does not make McLaren engines, Ricardo does.

It sounds unlikely, but under the incompetent new leadership that picked this livery, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

gret posted:

I can't wait to read that while sipping a delicious Monster Energy beverage

Where can I buy this in bulk

poty
Jun 21, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-njvNZN1E6k&t=7s

Like father like son, just in a safer era. Must be a canadian thing. It'd be funny if he hadnt killed a marshall. It must be like a highlander thing, an evil spirit just moving between drivers. Now that Pasta Baddonado isnt coming back it zapped into Their Lance :canada:

I puked in my mouth a bit when I saw those awful American "cars" on the Montreal circuit

poty
Jun 21, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

The one thing I'll say is I hate Lewis but it's hard to hate Mercedes as a team, they've at least publicly appeared reasonable and willing to compromise for the good of the sport as opposed to a certain other big team where everything said is political posturing for their own team's gain.

It's really not hard to hate Mercedes as a team

poty fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 3, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

AgentJotun posted:

Calling it now, big comeback year for Seb. He's never been to fond of the hybrids, but atleast with the cornering speeds back up I think he will adapt well. Seb 2013 was basically the best season for a driver ever.

I could have won the WDC in that Red Bull

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I'm like 99% sure the lyrics are:

It-alll-iaaaaaa
It-alll-iiiaaaaa
It-ALL-iaaaaa
It-alll-iaaaaaa

poty
Jun 21, 2008

ukle posted:

Also WTF Mods in the F1 thread, a sign of the end of times.

Finally somebody is cleaning up the thread... hopefully they can take care of Tony Montana and the other posters with offensive prejudices against Britain... I sure am reporting them often enough

Wirth1000 posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone miss Bernie?

Liberty hasn't even done anything to Americanize the sport yet so there's literally no reason to lose your shits over it. I mean, personally speaking, I'm full on expecting horrible Americanization of F1 to resemble NASCAR or some garbage and we have to deal with all the retarded NASCAR posters leaking into this poo poo thread which somehow still manages to simmer above the NASCAR thread (just) but gently caress there's literally no reason to miss Bernie at all.

Bernie is the only reason F1 is relevant and independent... without him it would be dead like WRC or even worse, alive and catering to the worst people in the world, like MotoGP.

poty fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 7, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Judging by its regular posters, this thread should be on Stormfront. I mean, did you read the bit about Spaceship Troopers

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Williams probably has the best car of the grid... if only they had used the money somebody mysteriously paid for Bottas on someone with WDC-potential like Palmer they would have an honest chance

poty
Jun 21, 2008

harperdc posted:

Lewis is an incredible talent, but you can tell he is a bit immature (in a similar way to some musicians, actors, etc) and that Mercedes care far less about his personal life than McLaren did. It also is important to point out that you can't have your cake and eat it too -- it's annoying to hear some fans both complain about drivers having no personalities, but then complaining when Lewis shows his. is it because he's black? :v:

Max is great and possibly an even bigger raw talent than Lewis is, but I really wish he'd spent more time in junior series. Maybe that's me being an old man and wishing he'd earned things the hard way, but also difficult to believe he's gone from a junior series to assumed F1 championship contender inside three years. Unreal.

and yes, Bacon Briefcase season is the Best Season.

Lewis has been a championship contender since his first fre*king race in F1 but he's British and has a Snapchat account so it doesn't count

poty fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 8, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

Nico Rosberg beat Hamilton. That should tell youy everything that is to know about Lewis.

Also Alonso should have stayed in Ferrari. What a dumbass.

Yeah if only he had stayed he'd be as happy as Vettel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAPxFDE807s

poty
Jun 21, 2008

learnincurve posted:

So Flávio threw a surprise party for bernie and a load of washed up has beens showed up http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128424 Flávio thinks Bernie was treated poorly by a company that went "you don't do poo poo for your money, and haven't done since the 80s, why on earth would we keep you around when you no longer own any part of the company?"

The Americans stole our Bernie's F1, swindling him out of the fruit of his hard work like the innocent, advanced in years gentleman that he is

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Theophany posted:

For some reason I find this image rather unsettling. Like the way they're all dressed in black as if for his funeral, forgetting that Bernard Ecclestone is immortal.

A bunch of children in this thread can't tell a kickass sex party when they see one

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I come from amateur bike racing and I have such a hard time understanding how responsibility is assigned in incidents like that with cars. The guy in front can see in his mirrors so he's supposed to leave some room? But the guy behind is also not supposed to run into the guy in front of him because he can see the situation and control it better obviously? In bikes, there are no mirrors so the guy in front is basically never at fault unless he's doing some absurd maneuver.

If it's anything like F1, the driver closest to being British gets the blame

poty
Jun 21, 2008

learnincurve posted:

They shut [the motorsport.com comments] down, you will have to go to crash.net for your daily dose of moron

It's sad to see some people love Big Brother (aka the Blue Pill F1 media) so much they're willing to denigrate the heroes actually doing research into why Lewis has so many technical "issues". This is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Theophany posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-sandbagging-a-worry-admits-red-bull-882738/

So are the shitlords at Red Bull genuinely concerned or trying a bit of reverse psychology?

Seeing Vettel and Hamilton going at it hammer and tongs this season is a tantalising prospect.

Mercedes would rather have Vettel win

poty
Jun 21, 2008

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/azerbaijan-gp-boss-hits-out-at-ignorant-liberty-criticism-883054/ posted:

"Frankly Bernie's attitude was, 'How much can I extract from them?' I heard him call them the victims! 'How much can I extract, how much up front?'

That was locker room talk

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Powershift posted:

They might even try concepts un-tested in the bernie era like marketing and ad sales.

This is pointless. There are two kinds of people: those who know what F1 is and whether they enjoy it and those who live in places like America, who would ruin the sport immediately if they started watching.

If you want to make F1 more popular, start by addressing the problem of having so many bad German drivers who cheat without punishment. Can you imagine being new to the sport and doing research on it, and then you find out that the current WDC is Nico Rosberg*? Who would watch that?

poty fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 15, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

NtotheTC posted:

McLaren explore Mercedes engine option after Honda problems

Incredible. They're going to go back to Mercedes the year after Alonso retires and have the best car, Jenson is going to come out of sabbatical and win another WDC.

Bold prediction: Alonso will yell "Hack Clown! Hack Clown!" over team radio at some point this season

poty
Jun 21, 2008

wicka posted:

Yeah, the much more important reason why Americans are drawn to oval racing is because NASCAR is incredibly popular and thus is seen as the end goal for most young drivers.

So F1 is gonna get the NASCAR drivers now?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I don't watch much Nascar but the snooty claim that they are all talentless hacks is loving garbage

Actually I'm a bit of a NASCAR expert and they're all very bad drivers, probably due to driving dumb automatic cars. They don't understand gears and if you say you can drive stick, they look at you like you are a rocket scientist. Sad (or sick)!

poty fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 17, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Norns posted:

loving lmao if you think driving a stock car around ovals is easy.

If NASCAR drivers manage it, it can't be very hard

poty
Jun 21, 2008

quote:

As part of Liberty’s F1 takeover, Ecclestone was given the title of chairman emeritus, with Chase Carey moving into his previous position as CEO.

While that reshuffle nominally keeps Ecclestone as part of the F1 family, he says he no longer has any influence on the way F1 is run.

“I can’t do anything,” Eccelstone said in an interview with the Mail on Sunday. “Even the staff have been told they shouldn’t talk to me."

“So I was a bit surprised the day after they completed the deal that I was asked to stand down because Chase wanted to be chief executive."

Liberty are a criminal organization who have swindled our Bernie and stolen our F1. They are the business equivalent of the scammers who cold-call old people claiming to be long-lost relatives who need money. "Hey Grandpa, it's me your Grandson Liberty I love what you're doing with F1, just sign this contract and I'll help you out running it". And then you show up Monday morning and they've changed the locks. It sure would be nice if the EU used some of the NHS money we send to their court system to do something about it, but I guess they prefer to spend it making sure that Lewis never wins another WDC

poty fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Human Grand Prix posted:

The "best circuits" thing is also becoming increasingly suspect.

Bernie believes in the free market. The best circuits should be the most successful and be able to afford the greatest fees. You'd think a company called Liberty wouldn't have such a big problem with that...

poty fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 20, 2017

• Locked thread